Canada's Next Top Model

• Please log in to reply

1995 replies to this topic

charmschool

charmschool

Just Tuned In

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 4:02 AM

They should've picked Shalom Harlow to host it; or better yet, Linda Evangelista.

noble idea. but can you imagine a canadian network shelling out money to hire someone who reportedly "won't get out of bed for less than $10000 a day." ha! and remember, that's $10000 before inflation.

and i love jeanne beker. i used to be on the tim blanks bandwagon, but i've grown to revel in beker's bombastic style and her constant ass-kissing of designers. compared to her, tim blanks is a grey grey man.

btw, did anyone happen to catch the episode where beker smacks down an insolent fashion newbie who conned her way into a show's backstage using beker and her program's name? she had the audacity to tell beker she's too old for the game and should quit! pure gold! that's exactly when i fell in love with jeanne beker.

sorry. i just had to tell someone. i love her.

jfdb

jfdb

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 12:17 PM

beker's bombastic style and her constant ass-kissing of designers.

In a nutshell why I find Beker grating. My friends and I call her the gush-gush lady. It's not like I find other fashion reporters better, they are all pretty crappy. Somehow Tim Blanks faded into the show and was less irritating, but you can't forget Jeanne is there when she is hosting.

I would agree that her fashion knowledge, longevity and relationships within the industry make her column a good read...I just find her annoying to watch. Like if Tyrant had a column about fashion I wouldn't have to endure her affected way of speaking ("...winner gets a fashion spread in Eeeellllllleeee magazine") or her crazy eyebrows/eighthead/weave.

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 11:15 PM

btw, did anyone happen to catch the episode where beker smacks down an insolent fashion newbie who conned her way into a show's backstage using beker and her program's name? she had the audacity to tell beker she's too old for the game and should quit! pure gold! that's exactly when i fell in love with jeanne beker.

How did she react when told she was too old?

In a nutshell why I find Beker grating. My friends and I call her the gush-gush lady.

True, but she loves what she does and I think she may actually really admire all those designers. I bet she only wears Canadian clothes for the show... the Canadian designers are going to love the exposure.

airylli

airylli

Posted May 17, 2006 @ 11:47 PM

I fucking love Tricia Helfer. I really hope they air this in the U.S.

That is all.

jackierae1

jackierae1

Channel Surfer

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 2:07 PM

Maybe they just didn't know about it. If there is a second season, I bet girls will be crawling out of the woodwork to get on the show.

That is a good point. Also, is it really likely that the contestants hometowns had any bearing on whether or not they became a finalist? I'd say its just a comination of coinsedence and how many people knew about the auditions.

I bet if there is a second season there will definately be more girls auditioning.

prosandcons

prosandcons

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2006 @ 10:14 PM

Okay, ANTM is officially dead to me (finally), so I'm hoping I can find CNTM online so I can check it out. I've enjoyed watching AuNTM thus far, and even watched some of GNTM even though I couldn't tell what the hell anyone was saying (usually). Still no luck on finding FNTM, which I wish I could as I can speak French, at least.

I would say that there were definitely far more girls (and a few boys!) trying out for the second season of AuNTM, so if the first season of CNTM does well, there should be a lot more auditioning for future seasons.

Word on the whole Vancouver vs Toronto thing. That's weird. Though ANTM moved to Los Angeles from New York, which is wrong.

As a Galactica fan, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Tricia as herself to see what that's like. Her Six kicks all kinds of ass (even literally).

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2006 @ 12:34 PM

Jeanne Beker had a little write up in the Globe this week and said to remember that these "merciless truths" are what make TV so compelling.

They showed a picture of the judges. Is Paul Venoit gay? (NTTIAWWT) And why is he always wearing that hat?

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted May 21, 2006 @ 12:34 PM

Double post, sorry.

Edited by bagatelle1, May 21, 2006 @ 12:35 PM.

Sweet Lemon

Sweet Lemon

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2006 @ 7:35 PM

The show is filmed entirely in Victoria, not Vancouver. Which is...even wierder?

The only reason I can think of to shoot in Victoria is for climate...If the show was filmed over the winter (and I think it was) then shooting in Victoria would make outdoor photo shoots possible, whereas in Toronto they would probably end up shooting inside most of the time.

Edited by Sweet Lemon, May 29, 2006 @ 7:37 PM.

amphora

amphora

Video Archivist

Posted May 29, 2006 @ 11:05 PM

Fluff article about the upcoming season, short interview with Tricia but fun to hear there will be some drama. And no Tyra impersonations.
Demure host of Canada's Next Top Model helps cultivate the bitchiness

Edited by amphora, May 29, 2006 @ 11:07 PM.

Kidney Bingos

Kidney Bingos

Couch Potato

Posted May 30, 2006 @ 11:31 PM

This is an actual occupation?

I wonder what she does the other 353 days of the year. ;) I make fun now, but she'll probably end up being my favourite or something.

I'm also guessing that the big trip will be to Toronto (AusNTM didn't have an overseas trip either). I think that the lack of "provincial diversity" is due to a combination of budget and folks not knowing about the show. Maybe they didn't want to fly out too many model wannabes to BC.

Personally, I think it was a concession they made to Tricia; in order for her to continue filming "Battlestar Galactica", while hosting "CNTM" at the same time.

That could be it too.

As long as this show stays away from BNTM territory *shudder*, it has promise.

Steph

Steph

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 8:25 AM

Am I imagining things or has there already been a televised Canadian top model search? I believe it was sponsored by Ford. I think maybe it was on Global? A redhead won.

dali

dali

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 12:55 PM

This article explains why they chose Victoria for CNTM. It's only available via subscription, so I've pasted the entire article.

Victoria's reality secret
Models keep low profile shooting TV series TV PREVIEW

It was an order as tall as a supermodel in stilettos. . ..The mission: Shoot an entire season of Canada's Next Top Model, CHUM Television's new reality series featuring 10 hottie hopefuls, in less than a month at the end of one of the worst winters on record in Victoria.

Tougher still, the show's contestants couldn't attract attention or shoot their mouths off about what they were up to.

That was the challenge facing the producers of Victoria's secret when the Canadian spinoff of America's Next Top Model rolled here in February.

Secrecy was essential to maintain the element of surprise in the eight-part series that premieres tonight at 8 p.m. on Citytv, but it wasn't an easy task, admits Marcia Martin, vice-president, production, for CHUM Television.

"With the onset of reality shows, confidentiality is a great part of making this successful," Martin says from her Toronto office. "It was the same with VJ Search. It's very important for business and the show's outcome."

Martin, whose network is co-producing with Toronto's Temple Street Productions and Victoria's May Street Group, says everyone from CHUM staffers to those in charge of closed captioning had to sign confidentiality agreements.

"We're in constant touch to make sure it doesn't get leaked," she says. "It's especially important when you have young girls not being able to say anything."

The Canuck version of the American reality TV hit hosted and created by Tyra Banks follows that show's template.

Hosted by Tricia Helfer, the Alberta-born supermodel-turned-actress (Battlestar Galactica), Canada's Next Top Model features 10 finalists who live together in a luxurious waterfront home in Brentwood Bay and learn such model behaviour as media manners, publicity skills, photo shoot essentials and how to glide gracefully down the catwalk without taking a header in ill-fitting high heels.

The Canadian beauties, aged 19 to 23, include a Calgary bartender, a New Westminster Internet fraud security expert, a Kelowna waitress and a Sherwood Park, Alta., Salvation Army supervisor.

Models will be eliminated one-by-one until judges determine who walks away with a $100,000 Procter and Gamble contract and a contract with Sutherland Models.

The judging panel includes Fashion Television's Jeanne Beker; hair and makeup stylist Paul Venoit; and runway coach Stacey McKenzie. The first of the surprise guests -- Toronto-born photo shoot stylist Jay Manuel -- appears on tonight's premiere.

Why was Canada's Next Top Model shot here rather than a couture capital like Montreal, or even Toronto?

Martin says it's because CHUM wants to diversify in different markets and work with producers they know.

"Not everything comes from the Toronto market," she says. "This was an opportunity to do something outside."

She says Victoria's proximity to fashion retailers in Vancouver complemented its obvious benefits.

"I think once you see the show you'll see what a great backdrop it is. It didn't represent a disadvantage."

Martin says they appreciated Victoria's photogenic locations but she lamented the lack of studio space.

They ended up filming inside a building that appears to have a temporary new life as a makeshift movie studio -- the vacant, high-ceilinged former Now Furniture store on Douglas Street.

The building's interior -- which also recently doubled as a police station for the made-for-TV thriller Scare Tactics -- was transformed into the glitzy soundstage where the models are judged.

Other locations featured include the Fairmont Empress, for runway sequences; and Carreiro The Studio, the Broad Street beauty salon where the models underwent their makeovers. Salon staff provided technical backup and handled colour applications as part of the makeover process.

"It was like a movie set. It was a lot of fun," said owner John Carreiro. "We were their support team."

Crews also spent a day in the 1912 James Bay building at the west end of Superior Street near Fisherman's Wharf that houses John Boehme's art and antiques gallery and daughter Lisa's eclectic, bohemian chic Superior Cafe.

The producers were looking for "a Gothic interior," said Boehme, who rented a portion of his gallery furnished with Florentine and Flemish antiques, paintings and furnishings acquired from an 18th-century Italian palazzo.

"It was pretty fabulous-looking," said Boehme, noting the work of the show's set decorators.

Martin says another of the show's assets is having a host as radiant and likable as Helfer. "She's such a natural. We did a photo shoot at the beginning of the season, and she showed there's such a difference between being a model and a supermodel. She comes alive, and she's just beautiful, but you can't be a model forever."

While Helfer is now best known for playing Six on Battlestar Galactica, her availability for Canada's Next Top Model was fortuitous.

"It was the right time for her, and she can pull from her background as a model, which you need," says Martin. "But she has wonderful personality as well and she brings that out."

Helfer's fears that the contestants were so sweet and lovely they might not generate drama proved unfounded.

"You don't know the dynamics of the girls until they unfold," Martin explains. "And they do, in front of your eyes. The dynamics develop as the personalities come out. There's drama, tears, laughter. You'll get hooked. You want the emotion."

With the gruelling shoot behind them, the models have returned to their normal lives, but that's about to change.

Martin says: "Once the show launches, the public is going to know who these girls are. It will be tough for them."

blackship

blackship

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 1:04 PM

The first of the surprise guests -- Toronto-born photo shoot stylist Jay Manuel -- appears on tonight's premiere.

Small Orange Man is one of ours? A Canadian? Noooooooo!!!! [/hangs head in shame]

Edited by blackship, May 31, 2006 @ 1:06 PM.

MarchingOcelot

MarchingOcelot

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 7:56 PM

Oh good God.

Good things:

Tricia. I certainly like her better than Tyra. Prettier, articulate, less ostentatiously self-absorbed, less crazy.

The house. That place was very, very nice.

One or two of the girls: Heather who is good at a couple of things, and some of the other ones that took good pictures but who are soo vague that I do not know their names, and Dawn because she is pretty.

"You're still in the running to become Canada's Next Top Model." Not repeated after each girl? A good thing.

The bad things:

Jay Manuel! God! We cannot escape him, even in another country!

The girls: most of them are hot messes, and not hot in the good way. The majority of them just look so rough, so awkward, so bad.

The candit interviews look like they were done on a webcam, and were also framed in an advertisement. At least ANTM tried to work their ads into the show.

Andrea. I... I'm not even sure what she's doing there? Did she get lost on the way to that home improvement reality show on Global? She just does not... look good, in any way I can really imagine.

Something about the editing just seemed... off. Jumpy at odd times. And the opening credits almost gave me a seizure.

And as an overall: I have met pretty girls in this country before. I see a number of them every day. Were the auditions held in sewers? Could you only send in a video if you were a Morlock? I am sad, here.

bkoster

bkoster

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 8:06 PM

Hmmm ...

I feel conflicted - I should be routing for Andrea because she is from my hometown (Whitby), but, er ... no - just can't bring myself to do it. She looks like she is a 12 year old boy.

I personally thought either Alanna or Sisi needed to go - not Sylvie - she was quite beautiful when she was all made up and the attitude could have made for some good TV.

enigmaticdan

enigmaticdan

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 8:11 PM

That was pretty rough. I mean, if Jay Manuel is the best thing about the episode, you know you've got problems.

One: The storytelling on the show really sucks. Don't have Andrea tell us in a confessional she just got off the phone with her mom, show the conversation between her and her mom! Similarly the Tenika-topless thing. They showed one scene of her in that state, and then it suddenly becomes a huge deal at judging.

Two: Tricia... does not.. need to pause... every single... second. You are not William Shatner.

Three: It's not good that we can see Tricia's holding Tenika's photo when only Andrea has been called. Suspense, people!

Four: Turn up the volume! I could barely understand what the photographer was saying about the girls at the photo shoots.

Five: If Siva is supposed to be the creative director, maybe she should... you know... talk?

Six: What was up with the model scout? All he did was come, say one girl was the best, and leave. Yes, the show should create drama, but that scenario was just so contrived, blatant, and ineffective.

Overall, the show moved really slowly and I felt really bored for a lot of it. Things picked up towards the end. The cuts were weird and hard to follow. Like during evaluations, they would be talking about one girl, and then suddenly cut to Tricia saying, "I think Sisi is blah-blah-blah." I like how in ANTM you have the photo, Tyra saying the girl's name, and then the comments from all the judges.

Anyone else notice the official web site is already updated, even though it hasn't aired in Vancouver yet?

I was surprised to find Natalie in the bottom two. Her photo was great! I was expecting a Sylvie/Dawn final two, and Dawn going home. Dawn's photo was exactly like her completely shocked expression in the finalists web site. Unimpressive. Sylvie's photo was one of the best in the bunch. And Sylvie may have a bad personality, but at least she has a personality! I can barely remember most of the other girls.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 8:16 PM

I didn't watch most of it as I was watching "Gameshow Marathon" (don't judge y'all! :p) but, two things came to mind.

-Jay Manuel is Canadian?! Well, I'll be darned.

-10 aspiring models, and only coming from 3 provinces? Granted these are the provinces where there are CityTV stations, but that still seems kinda dumb. CityTV is on Bell ExpressVu and I would guess there are some pretty girls all over the place. I would have loved to see a French Canadian in there who barely spoke English and then makes the transition to learn several sentences. The feel good story of the season!

Skippy

Skippy

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 8:20 PM

From the editing in the premier episode, I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say it:

Canada's Next Top Model Is... Heather.

emcc

emcc

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 8:52 PM

I nearly fell off my chair when Jay Manuel/Mr Orange said he was Canadian... For a moment there, I was so embarassed to be Canadian!

yadayada

yadayada

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 8:56 PM

AAAyyyyyyiiiiiiii where did they find these girls? I come across girls at UofT that are just stunning and make me wanna go home and adopt an eating disorder. Why aren't they on the show?

Its been a long time since I've seen reruns of ANTM Season 1, but were the production values for that season as bad? Those photographs reminded me of the old school hair magazines you still find at First Choice.

GoGoMasha

GoGoMasha

Couch Potato

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 8:57 PM

From the editing in the premier episode, I'm just gonna go out on a limb and say it:

Canada's Next Top Model Is... Heather.

ITA. It's so glaringly obvious, even from the first episode, that Heather will take it all. She actually looks amazingly high fashion ready. And it does help that she's got that eccentric beauty that's currently in right now. Can you say, a blond version of top model, Freja Beha?

Good riddens to Sylvie! Man, what a slob with attitude. Plus she looks like she's been smoking 2 packs a day since she was 5!

Yelenia was pretty; and Dawn was so cute! The others..... at this point, I choose not to comment....

Why must Jay Manuel continue to haunt us? But really, he seems much more competent and restrained for this guest appearance on CNTM. Though, if that creative director (what's her name again?) was suppose to doing her job; what the hell was Jay Manuel doing calling all the shots?

Tricia Helfer is so down to earth, and fair, and balanced as the host. I'm a huge fan of her from BG; but it's nice to see her reconnect with her fashion roots again.

This judging panel blows ANTM's out of the water. They're actually credible, and knowledgeable about real fashion/modelling. I mean, hello? Jeannie Bekker?

So overall, I think it was a decent start to the show. I'm pretty sure some of the rough edges will be worked out by the second/third cycle (if it lasts that long).

bagatelle1

bagatelle1

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 9:31 PM

I kind of hated the show... and I really wanted to like it.

First, that stupid cabin they dumped the girls in... okay it was very nice but it looked like they were at summer camp. I want to see them in the city. I don't believe that secrecy bit for one moment. Other shows are filmed on the streets of New York. Models should be on the pavement, not traveling by boat to get to their location. It makes us look so rural. Maybe most of Canada is rural, but top models do not work in such a countrified setting. Even the final elimination looked like it was in some empty warehouse.... why? Put the show in Toronto or Montreal and make it a lovely, vibrant backdrop.

I was extremely disappointed in the girls. Non looked exceptional to me and not one final photo was special. That weird 'model' judge at the end said nothing... they should get rid of her and find someone who has something useful to say. (And something nicer to wear... ) I wish they gave Jeanne Beker more air time. She knows what she's talking about.

moosepants

moosepants

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 10:04 PM

Bleh, I am so disapointed.
None of the girls were special, and then to keep Sisi after the photo shoot and kick out the only girl (Sylvie) just cause she isn't tripping overself to kiss the judges asses.
Once again bleh, but of course I will be watching again next week.

alldressedup

alldressedup

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 10:08 PM

Dude, those ladies looked rough.

Seriously, that show just reeked of Canadian production. Why didn't we get the initial auditions before the final ten were chosen? It would make this process seem more authentic and the picks more plausible.

And the house was supposed to be classic Canada, a high class cottage.

I was suprised they got rid of Sylvie. Her attitude was just a front. She obviously cared about being there. who would go through all that if they didn't care?

WTF was Andrea trying to wear. She looked ridiculous but her face photographed surprisingly well.

whitshim

whitshim

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 10:23 PM

Andrea = Macaulay Culkin

Busylizzie

Busylizzie

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 10:27 PM

Goddam, I LIVE in Brentwood Bay and had no idea this was going on. And BB is a smallsmallsmall place. I guess I'll have to go grill the girls at the TruValu -- they know everything that goes on around here. Bit late, tho.

But what a bleh show. I found myself wishing the small orange man was gonna stick around -- that's how bad.

acquired taste

acquired taste

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 10:34 PM

Good lord, I can't believe they kept Sisi. That clip of her facial expressions at the photo shoot was just weird. And kinda scary.

Sylvie really deserved to stay - her photo was hot and Jay said that her posing was great, she shouldn't have been ditched because of her attitude. Don't these judges know that attitude and drama is the reason that people tune in to reality TV? Or *gasp* do they actually think that this is about finding a "top model?"

acquired taste

acquired taste

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 10:34 PM

double post. move along...

Edited by acquired taste, Jun 1, 2006 @ 8:59 AM.

moosepants

moosepants

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 31, 2006 @ 10:39 PM

Orange Jay didn't look that orange with our great Canadian production values....very interesting.
I would rather watch Sylvie being all meh and laid back over Brandie who looks like she is going to be very full of herself.