2-14: "Sex Kills" 2006.03.07

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

256 replies to this topic

beardies

beardies

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 2:51 PM

CARBFACE that's exactly it! I couldn't quite get to what I was sensing in that scene that made House's reply understandable and something I found myself sympathizing with. It was a gentle (albeit sarcastic) zinger.

scair

scair

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 2:58 PM

Seems to me House's chip, chip, chipping away insistence that Wilson is having an affair is HIS way of conversing. It certainly would open the door to Wilson saying, ''I'm not but I think.....''

Yes. Wilson may not like that way of conversing and maybe House needs to change that, but I do think that it's as close to a 'how are things going? Really?' as Wilson is ever going to get from House. Which is what House was telling him. As much as I sympathize with Wilson's obvious distress there, I also have to say that he earned the whole situation. No matter the reason for it, cheating on three spouses in succession is just not admirable at all. Now he knows what it feels like.

Djinifer

Djinifer

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 8:09 PM

But, the beeper going off gave the writers an excuse to make the moment ambiguous.

Ever noticed that they do that A LOT on this show??

Did House blow Wilson off because he had to go? Did he act like a jackass because he really is one?

Why can't it be both? ;)

Aussiesirena

Aussiesirena

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 8:40 PM

I know that scene bothered a lot of people at first because House seemed so cruel to Wilson by blowing him off. I never felt that House didn't care about Wilson at that moment. His eyes said he cared. But, the beeper going off gave the writers an excuse to make the moment ambiguous.

-beardies

I like to think that if the beeper hadn't have gone off, or even if it had gone off, like 5 seconds later, then all House would've done is give Wilson a nod and The Eyes would've looked all meaningful like they do so well. I know House isn't down with the whole conversation thing, nor is work an appropriate place or time for it. So House's opening the door to Wilson could be 'in place' of the conversation that Wilson wanted...and Wilson will just have to accept this.

KCDeb

KCDeb

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 10:44 PM

I know that scene bothered a lot of people at first because House seemed so cruel to Wilson by blowing him off. I never felt that House didn't care about Wilson at that moment. His eyes said he cared. But, the beeper going off gave the writers an excuse to make the moment ambiguous.

I agree with this line of discussion - I also wonder if editors may have cut his reflective pause short and, if they'd left an extra beat in there, we would have had a bit more time to see he was processing his response before the pager went off, which game him an opportunity to be flippant. It was certainly evident in his eyes that he was touched by Wilson's plea.

Beatriceblake

Beatriceblake

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2006 @ 4:23 PM

I was more disturbed by House's treatment of Weiss (aka Mr Laura) than his treatment of Wilson. He was callous and manipulative and showed no regard whatsoever for Weiss's feelings. It makes me wonder if we will see House killing people for organs by Season Six. Before he goes home and has dinner with his husband.

Seriously though I hope House and Wilson make it.

ETA: I am starting to wonder if the priest from my former Catholic church writes House. All this sex will kill you and have horrible consequences stuff.

Edited by Beatriceblake, Apr 20, 2006 @ 4:39 PM.

KatalynJ

KatalynJ

Posted Jul 25, 2006 @ 9:24 PM

I didn't appreciate this episode enough the first time around, it really is quintessential House. House fighting for his patient to the end, not only to the committee but physically with Weiss. Signing the appeal to the transplant committee ("I wrote they were biased because they were prejudiced against you. " Hee.) even though he thought it wouldn't do any good. Telling Weiss to get mad at him, not at Amy and then Weiss doing what so many have wanted to do, kneeing him in the balls. Forming the awkward alliance with Weiss. Weiss being the one to insist that his wife's heart be used. House being unwilling to tell him his wife had gonorrhea, out of kindness we thought, and then making Cameron do it. The twist where it was the husband who had been unfaithful, not her.

Wilson asking House for something he couldn't give; House not being able to and knowing it. Honky Tonk Woman playing as Wilson told House it was Julie who was cheating.

All the ducklings being competent professionals. And the scene at the elevator where House went through the potential donors was pure screwball comedy. I want to see more like that next year, it's a pity to waste that side of HL and JM.

Edited by KatalynJ, Jul 25, 2006 @ 9:28 PM.

Elen

Elen

Stalker

• Interests:Reading, sleeping, hanging out out with friends, nature, music, the usual.<br /><br />TV-wise, I'm a BIG fan of House, Scrubs, and The Office, and I've been known to watch a little ER and Law &amp; Order.

Posted Jul 25, 2006 @ 9:29 PM

KatlynJ, I was the exact same way. I really just didn't like it the first time through (why? No idea.) but the second time through? Loved it. It was really House going back to what it does best, without special guest stars or a definitive arc. Arcs are all well and good, but it was refreshing to get some classic House.

Lizzim

Lizzim

Fanatic

Posted Jul 25, 2006 @ 9:35 PM

Weiss

I thought it was Neuberger? Or is that a reference to another Grunberg role? Because he really is everywhere these days (and that's a good thing)...

ITA KatalynJ - I loved this episode the first time around (nostalgia for a dying Johnny Fever) and I liked it even better the second go around.

House being unwilling to tell him his wife had gonorrhea, out of kindness we thought

I do sort of think his handling of that is out of kindness - he knows he can't tell the husband in any sort of sensitive way, but the husband has to be told so he can get tested. So making Cameron do it really is kind. He knows she'll handle it far better than he could.

Anyone else find it ironic that House tells the transplant coordinator that she shouldn't make assumptions at the beginning of the episode, but at the end, it's House who jumps to a false conclusion???

Edited by Lizzim, Jul 25, 2006 @ 9:37 PM.

Yadi

Yadi

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 25, 2006 @ 11:12 PM

Weiss
I thought it was Neuberger? Or is that a reference to another Grunberg role? Because he really is everywhere these days (and that's a good thing)...

I think that's his character's name in Alias.

lawm

lawm

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2006 @ 7:57 AM

In watching last night, I noticed this:

In the scene where House is giving Johnny Fever the STD meds, the patient says, "She just doesn't get it. If you're not prepared to look stupid then nothing great is ever going to happen, right? On the other hand, I guess your testicles aren't gonna explode either." House looks very thoughtful during this, as if he's really listening.

Foreshadowing! In No Reason, House considers "looking stupid," aka trying Wilson & Cuddy's plan of ketamine treatment, to get something "great" (lessened pain), and what happens? Testicle explodes. Of course, it wasn't his own testicle, but still.

Continuity is cool.

Ranee

Ranee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2006 @ 10:59 AM

Lawm,

I am in such awe of you spotting this.

(Damn, I misssed the re-runs last night & the S3 promo).

lawm

lawm

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 26, 2006 @ 12:18 PM

"Testicle" + "explode" does tend to be memorable! The S3 promo was--choppy. Lots of quick cuts, including one of a woman (I think) flopping onto a bed that went by in literally less than a second.

sasmom

sasmom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2006 @ 6:17 PM

I'm wondering if the going into the fountain (shoes and all) and the running might be part of some residual effect of the Ketamine. He goes into the fountain to help figure out about why the guy went into the pool. Fine, but why with his shoes on?

I also wonder if this takes place some time after he's recovered from the shooting, etc. He's undergone rehab and maybe jogging is part of the therapeutic regime (light jogging anyway). We don't know a time frame, so who knows.

I can imagine what's going through Cuddy's mind when House appears at her doorstep late at night, soaked (including his shoes) from wading in a fountain. I wonder if she's thinking that he's suffering side effects too? maybe he is and maybe that's why cuddy appears teary at some point in the episode.

Point is, we don't know without the dialogue. 6 weeks?

Edited by LTG, Jul 26, 2006 @ 10:28 PM.

Elen

Elen

Stalker

• Interests:Reading, sleeping, hanging out out with friends, nature, music, the usual.<br /><br />TV-wise, I'm a BIG fan of House, Scrubs, and The Office, and I've been known to watch a little ER and Law &amp; Order.

Posted Jul 26, 2006 @ 6:37 PM

sasmom, I think you posted in the wrong thread. Spoiler bars are needed.

sasmom

sasmom

Fanatic

Posted Jul 27, 2006 @ 8:32 PM

sasmom, I think you posted in the wrong thread. Spoiler bars are needed.

I am so sorry. I'm usually extremely careful about this sort of stuff. Maybe I did intend to post it in the other thread. I didn't even remember posting this. Very big oops and apologies to the mods, etc. I've never gotten a warning before, and when I logged on and saw it, I was flummoxed. I hadn't remembered posting anything yesterday. Clearly, I was exhausted!

MissMoneyBags

MissMoneyBags

Fanatic

• Interests:Beauty Contests, Railroads, Real Estate Speculation, Bank Errors, Staying Out Of Jail

Posted Dec 8, 2008 @ 10:22 AM

After seeing USA rerun this episode last night, I have to agree with everyone on the previous page who said it's better the second time through. Knowing the final twist that it was Greg Grunberg's character who cheated actually enhances everything that happens, his decision that his wife's heart should save somebody becomes an odd form of atonement. There's also a good moment at the end of the scene when they go to the house and find the hair dye and the diet pills, and House reassures GG's character "if you weren't keeping any bigger secrets than that, I think you're okay," and Grunberg gets this total "oh God, I hate myself" look on his face.

The "if you screw mom again, you'll need a condom" line at the end is still as creepy as ever, though!

I never watched Alias, so this is the first time I ever took notice of Greg Grunberg. I would totally have a Christmas one-night stand with you, baby! Bonus, no gonorrhea!

Edited by MissMoneyBags, Dec 8, 2008 @ 10:24 AM.