Lucky Bastards: Season Two

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

3654 replies to this topic

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2006 @ 11:28 AM

(TV.com sucks for thread names: IMDB is better now for this sort of thing. (link, spoils titles for Season 2) )

Skipping Season 1 (2005) for a moment, I thought this was a pretty good intro for David Tennant, but it really lacked that initial post-regeneration moment. Then again, not all Doctors have had that benefit. Good work by the ensemble, though it appears that Rose has backslid a bit. Though perhaps she was just unsure about this Doctor and a bit more nervous. And a stunning turn for Harriet Jones, Prime Minister.

Edited by cutecouple, Mar 6, 2006 @ 11:29 AM.

lidja

lidja

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2006 @ 12:46 PM

The Children in Need special, which was filmed after The Christmas Invasion but shown about a month before, filled in that post-regeneration moment.

The BBC had the Children in Need special streamed on their website for awhile, but took it off.

Ten's final outfit in The Christmas Invasion with the suit, overcoat and trainers/sneakers is nice and not over the top.

Next season looks like it will be a blast.

ETA: SnoodMasterK pointed at a great link on the music thread, which has "Song for Ten" aka the "song that plays when he picks out his clothes and then they sit down for dinner." That song just brings up so many hopeful feelings.

Edited by lidja, Mar 6, 2006 @ 1:21 PM.

Frelling Tralk

Frelling Tralk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2006 @ 7:14 PM

I always figured they had Rose as a bit hopeless, to counter accusations that she was a Mary Sue. Some viewers were vocal in their disappointment that she was often just as useful as the Doctor, or more so, in season 1. So The Xmas Invasion has Rose trying her best, but ultimately only being an average human against aliens, so standing little chance. And then there's the Doctor's heroic arrival to make the audience sit up and take note...

And yes, the Children in Need special touchingly deals with Rose being confronted with the new Doctor, and wanting him to change back. And it has the Doctor convincing Rose he's the same through hand holding!

Edited by Frelling Tralk, Mar 6, 2006 @ 7:20 PM.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2006 @ 4:36 AM

RTD's said all along, really, that the Doctor works in the new show as much by *inspiring* others to save the world as doing it himself. This led to some sniping from fans that he was "Doctor Useless" and I think RTD said in interviews that TCI was an attempt to show what he meant by that: without the Doctor to lead them, everyone goes to pieces. Those other people that saved the day in those other episodes wouldn't have been able to if not for the Doctor and TCI is the evidence.

jeet

jeet

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2006 @ 5:14 AM

Those other people that saved the day in those other episodes wouldn't have been able to if not for the Doctor and TCI is the evidence.

Yeah, but how many of them got into sword fights with the villain? In TCI, Ten doesn't inspire anyone to save the day. Ten wakes up, kicks ass, and takes names, which is a radical departure from Nine.

Edited by jeet, Mar 7, 2006 @ 5:15 AM.

thelephant

thelephant

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2006 @ 3:17 PM

God, I loved this show when I saw it at Christmas. I commandeered the tv for an hour and made the rest of my family watch it too, and they all really enjoyed it.

Maybe it was because it was a Christmas special, but it seemed so much bigger than any of the previous series. So much more...epic. And it's not that the special effects were better (the bit when the TARDIS comes flying into the council estate at the beginning was pretty bad, as was the killer Xmas tree). Just the whole feel of the show.

And David Tennant was fantastic. I had only seen him in Harry Potter prior to this, although I've since seen some of Casanova, and he really impressed me. He managed to pull off sword fighting in his pyjamas, and that bit with the hand was just brilliant - 'And this hand? It's a FIGHTIN' HAND!'

Tirtzah

Tirtzah

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2006 @ 7:52 PM

Maybe it was because it was a Christmas special, but it seemed so much bigger than any of the previous series. So much more...epic. And it's not that the special effects were better (the bit when the TARDIS comes flying into the council estate at the beginning was pretty bad, as was the killer Xmas tree). Just the whole feel of the show.

I'm not sure but I think they may have been given a seperate budget exclusively for the Christmas episode, instead of for an entire season. I'm pretty sure this is the case as they shot it seperately from the upcoming season. So they probably had more money to work with than their average episode.

And David Tennant was fantastic. I had only seen him in Harry Potter prior to this, although I've since seen some of Casanova, and he really impressed me. He managed to pull off sword fighting in his pyjamas, and that bit with the hand was just brilliant - 'And this hand? It's a FIGHTIN' HAND!'

Probably my favorite bit of the whole thing is when he grows his hand back and freaks out the Sycorax leader. "Witchcraft!", "Timelord." I get shivers evertime. I love 10 when he's being serious and dark, Tennant is just as excellent doing those moments as he is with the comedy.

bigorangemike

bigorangemike

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2006 @ 12:35 PM

I'm not sure but I think they may have been given a seperate budget exclusively for the Christmas episode, instead of for an entire season. I'm pretty sure this is the case as they shot it seperately from the upcoming season. So they probably had more money to work with than their average episode.

It's kind of confusing. From my limited understanding, Christmas Invasion was comissioned with series two. But it does not count toward the 13 episodes of series two. It's a separate entity and therefore had its own budget.

Also consider that some of the sets were pre-existing such as the TARDIS, the Tyler family house, etc..so they had more money to spend on the new sets as well.

RavenaS

RavenaS

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 2:23 AM

Actually The Christmas Invasion was budgeted as part of Series Two. But because of its primetime holiday programming it was given special attention.

TCI and the first episode of Series Two are due out on DVD (one of the vanilla releases without extras) in May this year. UK R2 PAL discs only.

There is much speculation since we aren't privy to the actual cost of Series One, but it seems Series Two and Three were given slightly larger budgets. Series Three will include another Christmas special (story as yet unwritten and unknown).

Eruvadhril

Eruvadhril

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 4:21 AM

It'll be a shame if everywhere else in the world doesn't get to see the Children in Need special, because the transition between the end of 'Parting of the Ways' and 'The Christmas Invasion' seems rather arkward without it. Plus, it has Rose's initial reaction to the Doctor exploding and this random bloke taking his place, which you'd like to see, as opposed to her just stepping out of the TARDIS, saying 'That's the Doctor'.

And yes, the Children in Need special touchingly deals with Rose being confronted with the new Doctor, and wanting him to change back. And it has the Doctor convincing Rose he's the same through hand holding!

For this reason, also. *squees at hand holding*
"I have got a MOLE..."

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 8:23 AM

FYI, this was a 7 minute special that showed the immediate aftermath of the regeneration into Doctor #10. I quite liked it, although I very much wish the content had been incorporated into the Christmas Invasion, instead of being done almost after the fact. Also, Rose's hair is different.

But it was a good bit of character work, showing us the Doctor discovering himself, and slowly losing it.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 8:44 AM

We possibly need to come up with some accepted numbering convention for these 'side episodes' like Pudsey Cutaway, The Christmas Invasion and Attack of the Graske.

For instance, at the moment TCI is down as "2.0" and Cutaway is down as "2.X" but the official BBC-used production code for TCI is "2.X" (as in 2.Xmas, geddit!?) and AFAIK Cutaway doesn't have an official one at all!

Maybe Cutaway is a better 2.0, with 2.X for TCI and 2.i for AotG (since it's the BBCi special).

Anyway, yes, Cutaway was a very lovely piece and it's almost impossible to imagine that they originally hadn't intended to share these first moments between Ten and Rose with the audience. Between "oooh... I've got hair again! BIG hair!" and the attempts to feel out his new mole, it launched a thousand squees when it first aired, I can tell you.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 8:51 AM

Nuallain, I'm going to reply to the numbering comments here.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 9:06 AM

There's a separate Children in Need thread now.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 9:27 AM

For Azalaea's benefit, here's a recaplet --

Previously on Doctor Who, the Daleks invaded the Earth and the Doctor got some new teeth...

The Doctor starts prompting Rose to tell him what he now looks like and then decides to try and guess ''don't tell me... don't tell me..." He's pleased to discover he has "hair... BIG hair!" and "oooh... sideburns!" but best of all he likes the mole square between his shoulder blades that he can feel there but can't quite reach.

He breaks off from this when he sees Rose's lost and worried expression and asks her what's wrong. She insists he tells her what he's done with the Doctor and while he repeats that he explained he was about to change, she comes up with a theory that he was swapped with the Doctor by transmat beam and .. really reaching, worries that he's a Slitheen in disguise.

The Doctor manages to prove his credentials by reminding her of the first thing he ever said to her "Run!" and recapping their first meeting in Henrick's basement. He takes her hand and she recognises something of the Doctor in his eyes. "Hello!" he says, smiling. But Rose still isn't entirely happy and asks "Can you change back?" "Do you want me to?" "Yeah" "Oh... [beat] No."

The Doctor's hurt by this rejection and asks if this means she wants to leave him. She's kind of non-commital and the Doctor takes this as an attempt to spare his feelings. Taking the decision out of her hands, he sets course for London, Christmas Eve, 2006 in order to leave her back with Jackie.

But just then he doubles over in pain and pukes up a load of vortex energy. Collapsing across the console he starts to laugh maniacally and struggles to tell Rose that his regeneration has "gone a bit wrong" and that he can't control himself. Temporarily insane, it seems, he opens up the TARDIS engines to maximum and sets off dangerously fast through the vortex - trying to stop himself during second long moments of lucidity. The Cloister Bell begins to ring - signalling that the TARDIS itself is facing imminent destruction and the Doctor laughs again as he announces "We're all going to die!" and "Christmas! Here we come!"

Credits.

MC_Hamster

MC_Hamster

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 9:39 AM

For the US broadcast (and assuming that they're in no hurry to start showing the second series straightaway), I imagine they could just glue this sequence onto the start of The Christmas Invasion, using it as a pre-credits teaser, and then move the rest of the clip into the main body of the show. That and a bit of carefully placed advertising could probably bump it up into a 1 1/2 hour for Christmas day 2006.

It's far too good a scene to give up, though.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 10:20 AM

I dunno, they didn't do that when CBC showed it. Also, it was never intended to be part of TCI and was only written and filmed long after TCI was finished (which is why their are some continuity errors arising from the console room being slightly updated in Cutaway and then lapsing back for TCI)

When TCI was being written they obviously had the option of starting in the TARDIS but decided, for whatever reason, that jumping straight to the crash landing would work better. I'd imagine they still think that.

Most likely, I think American fans who didn't happen to download it during the week or two it was on the official site will probably get to see it first on the S2 boxset, where it will probably be hyped as 'exclusive content' ala the preview mini-episodes on recent 24 boxsets.

MC_Hamster

MC_Hamster

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 10:38 AM

Yeah, but still - "Here we go - Christmas Eve!" is a much better credits line than "Doctor Who?"

lidja

lidja

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 9:27 AM

Not only was the dialogue cute, but it was also the way David Tennant said it. Its in the way he was so manic and hopping about even before he really started to lose control.

You didn't get much of him in "The Parting of the Ways" and you really don't see as much of him until he fully wakes up in "The Christmas Invasion".

The special also addressed why we didn't go back for Captain Jack.

lidja

lidja

Fanatic

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 2:23 PM

After going back and watching "Rose" in preparation for the SciFi Channel debut, I was surprised to realized "Rose" and "The Christmas Invasion" both begin with the zoom in of Earth to UK to London to the Powell Estate.

The version I saw also didn't have any "previouslies", so someone who skipped the 2005 series could more or less jump in without too much difficulty.

MC_Hamster

MC_Hamster

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 6:00 PM

The special also addressed why we didn't go back for Captain Jack.

...which was stupid. The Doctor shouldn't have known that Jack was still alive and even if he did, leaving him stranded in completely the wrong century on a spacestation full of corpses so that he can rebuild an Earth that isn't even his is a pretty lousy thing to do.

Of course, the Doctor might have been talking rubbish so that he wouldn't have to tell Rose that Jack was dead. But I'd rather they hadn't mentioned it at all.

Edited by MC_Hamster, Mar 12, 2006 @ 6:03 PM.

RoisinDubh

RoisinDubh

Couch Potato

• Interests:Avatar: The Last Airbender, Doctor Who, Firefly, Heroes, House, Hustle, Lost, QI, Supernatural, This Is Wonderland, Veronica Mars, X-Files

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 8:45 PM

Of course, the Doctor might have been talking rubbish so that he wouldn't have to tell Rose that Jack was dead. But I'd rather they hadn't mentioned it at all.

I hadn't thought of this possiblility (that the Doctor was just making it up for Rose's benefit), but I kinda hope that that's it. I mean, the Doctor had no way of knowing that Rose had brought Jack back to life, and Rose didn't remember, and them thinking he was dead was the only reason I could think of that they'd leave him behind. So, finding out that they both knew he was alive and just left him there was very upsetting to me. Although finding out about Jack getting his own series did help a little.

Other than that, I really enjoyed CiN, especially the conversation between Rose and Ten as to whether he could change back. I thought Tennent was especially good during that exchange (it was all in the way he paused, and the facial expressions), and it really helped me to warm up to him.

I'm a bit confused, though. What is "Cutaway"? Did I miss something, or is that just an alternate name for CiN?

marahsarie

marahsarie

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 1:36 AM

The Doctor shouldn't have known that Jack was still alive and even if he did, leaving him stranded in completely the wrong century on a spacestation full of corpses so that he can rebuild an Earth that isn't even his is a pretty lousy thing to do.

Up until CiN, I had assumed that the Doctor was leaving Jack for dead. When he threw that line in about leaving Jack to rebuild the Earth, part of me wanted to believe, like you said, that he was just saying that because he DOES still think Jack is dead, and doesn't want to tell Rose. But, then again, the Doctor knows, or should I say, claims that he knows, "all that was, all that is, all that ever could be." And it does seem, at the end of "Parting of the Ways" that he realizes that Rose is bringing people back from the dead (I assume she brought everyone on Earth back, not just Jack) and setting things "right" (undoing the Dalek invasion.)

But, still, like you said, leaving Jack behind when you know he's still alive is pretty lousy, so I'm choosing to believe that the Doctor thinks Jack's dead, and doesn't want Rose to know.

(We should, eventually, get the whole story -- John Barrowman is supposedly signed on to appear in Season 29, or, in other words, Series 3. If Torchwood is a hit, I don't know how that will work, since they've been saying that there will be no crossovers between the two, but that's what I've heard.)

Edited by marahsarie, Mar 13, 2006 @ 1:38 AM.

MC_Hamster

MC_Hamster

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 3:32 AM

But, then again, the Doctor knows, or should I say, claims that he knows, "all that was, all that is, all that ever could be."

I wouldn't take that literally. If that was the case, he wouldn't have to perform the seance in The Unquiet Dead or panic when he sees the Dalek in Dalek - or do any of the other things that suggest he doesn't actually know what's going to happen next.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 11:34 AM

The Cloister Bell begins to ring - signalling that the TARDIS itself is facing imminent destruction

I loved that the Cloister Bell was ringing in that scene - a nice bit of continuity with the original series.

Wyldemusick

Wyldemusick

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 8:31 PM

What is "Cutaway"? Did I miss something, or is that just an alternate name for CiN?

Apaprently the title that Russell T. Davies has for the CiN episode, punning on the original "Dalek Cutaway" episode from the original First Doctor run.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 9:13 AM

Apaprently the title that Russell T. Davies has for the CiN episode, punning on the original "Dalek Cutaway" episode from the original First Doctor run.

How much of a geek do you have to be to find that incredibly funny? Because however geekish it is, that's how geekish I am.

erendis

erendis

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 10:27 PM

And for God's sake, did we have to have the universe saved by tea? I'm as dependent on it as the next Brit, but it has this cutesy quality of "Oh, we're so British. See our quaintsy British ways. Let's dress up in native costume and do a tweely bastardised traditional dance for the tourists!" that really grates for me.

[Small voice] I found it funny. [/Small voice]

I don't think it was meant to be pandering to non-Brit views of the British (stiff upper lip, always drink tea, all that nonsense) - but rather it was a British show poking fun at the foibles of the British. A comparable situation would be a Canadian show poking fun at our obsession with hockey, or an Indian show poking fun of their obsession with cricket.

Back on topic - I loved this episode. It was my first exposure to new Who (I'd seen 1 serial from the Tom Baker era, but that was it) and I was instantly sucked in. It helped, of course, that I tuned in just as the Doctor awoke, thereby missing the slower first half.

The Royal Family on the roof bit cracked me up, as did the Lion King reference. I even forgave the overly-convenient-button-for-collapsing-just-that-particular-part-of-the-ship bit, cause DT's delivery of "No more second chances. I'm that kind of a man" was that good.

Did anyone else find that the end, with 10 and Rose holding hands, was maybe a bit too shippy? I mean, 9 and Rose definitely had chemistry, but they kept a certain distance. Considering the fact that the Doctor apparently doesn't do romantic relationships, the only way they can work this out is if (speculation alert!) Rose's exit arc involves her falling in love with someone else, forestalling any potential relationship with the doctor.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 6:17 AM

The 'saved by tea' bit actually has a scientific basis. Free radicals are known to cause celluar damage in the brain and scientific studies have shown that simple tea will actually neutralize them and prevent the damage. It won't undo the damage, but we can presume that the free radicals were preventing the Doctor's brain cells from completing their regeneration (damagine them as quickly as they could regrow) and, after the tea fumes neutralized them, the cells finished regenerating and he recovered.

Alisa

Alisa

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 2:43 AM

Did anyone else find that the end, with 10 and Rose holding hands, was maybe a bit too shippy? I mean, 9 and Rose definitely had chemistry, but they kept a certain distance.

No, not really. I mean, Nine and Rose held hands all the time. I saw it as a reassurance-type thing - Rose is okay with regeneration and Doctor is reassured that she still wants to travel. I don't see it as anything more than that.