The Rosie O'Donnell Show

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1744 replies to this topic

dupreesgal

dupreesgal

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 21, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

Likely the schedule from when the show launched until next summer was worked out in advance. I would think that she would have synched it up with the kids school schedule. That is what she insinuated on Howard. In the Northeast, often schools have 2 week-long breaks in the second semester - one during Feb and one during April, nothing in March.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 3:35 PM

Was quickly checking some Rosie tweets. She was taking questions for a 10 min. period. Some of them asked were:

Recent big changes to the show were they financially driven : No

Would you consider moving show to NYC : yes

Your fave movie you did : League of their Own

Consider having Cher or Adele on show : Yes

Best advice your kids given you : don't curse so much

Are you friends with Barbara & Eliz : Hmmmmmmmmmmmm - hard to answer. Watch next week when Star comes on

ImSoDizzy

ImSoDizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

I was channel surfing the other day and caught a newscast of Discovery's utter disappointment with the ratings for OWN, in general, and Rosie's show, in particular.

I researched this topic on the Web for a short time, and only found this as an official statement from Discovery back in January:
Discovery CFO: Oprah Winfrey 'Committed and Working Hard' to Make OWN Successful
With Winfrey and her Harpo team in charge after several leadership changes last year, there is a "complete alignment," and Discovery feels that OWN is going in a "good" direction, he told the Citi Entertainment, Media & Telecommunications Conference in San Francisco. "It's just hard work building any network," he added in echoing the company's previous calls for patience with OWN.

Back in October, soon after Rosie's debut, there was a report on OWN ratings versus DiscoveryHealth:
Ratings for OWN Oct’11 Compared to DiscoveryHealth Oct’10:
- Total Day Avg. viewership: Down 12%
- Total Day Women 18-34 viewership: Down 30%
- Total Day Women 18-49 viewership: Down 15%
- Total Day Women 25-54 viewership: Down 4% (likely the ad target demo for OWN)
- Total Day Adults 18-49 viewership: Down 15%

While Rosie's and OWN ratings are not as high as most expect them to be (at some point), as long as everyone is in it for the long haul I don't see the plug being pulled anytime soon. Rosie's show is also selectively broadcast on more Discovery Channels (TLC, Investigation Discovery, Discovery Fit & Health and Planet Green,) than just OWN. Discovery could decide to do that more often, to build viewers, once they felt they've reached a strong/ stable format.

Doesn't Rosie have a 3-year contract? I wonder if it's with Discovery or OWN or both?

curbed

curbed

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:12 PM

Are you friends with Barbara & Eliz : Hmmmmmmmmmmmm - hard to answer. Watch next week when Star comes on

I. Cant. Wait! That should be a great ep.

I miss the show. Its the only thing keeping me from watching the Spew. Must stay strong.

King Cat Sam

King Cat Sam

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2012 @ 11:16 PM

Check your tv listings for a possible time change slot when Rosie returns next week.

Cementhead

Cementhead

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 10:39 AM

BTW, there have been no Rosie reruns during this 2 week hiatus. OWN has aired other programming.

Actually, here in Canada, they did play reruns during the first week of her hiatus. And would you guys believe me if I told you that they actually re-aired the Chelsea Handler interview? Because they did. I actually re-watched it to see if they would edit out the end segment this time round and they did not. They replayed the whole friggin' thing. I kept wondering why nobody here had brought up the fact that they actually replayed it less than a week later and now I know why -- you guys in the U.S. got different programming than we did.

ccridernyc

ccridernyc

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 3:15 PM

They replayed the whole friggin' thing.

Wow, that surprises me. Rosie plus OWN ~ Belligerent, ignorant and a "Master Class" in just plain dumb.

DisneyGiant

DisneyGiant

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 24, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

Just saw that Star Jones will be with Rosie in the near future - that will be must see TV for me! ;)

OWN would be very smart to promote the heck out of that episode.......

Brownstone

Brownstone

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 2:08 AM

Star Jones will be with Rosie in the near future

Well I'll probably try but Star eludes to things but never quite says anything. Maybe it's a practice with someone who'd had a difficult time and has kept things hidden.
With a lot of health and marital baggage it's difficult to go on a talk-show and not say anything.

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2012 @ 7:28 AM

From my understanding, cable networks do not participate in "Sweeps" programming in an attempt to spike their ratings during that period. They don't have the budget for it. BTW, there have been no Rosie reruns during this 2 week hiatus. OWN has aired other programming.

You may be right, but based on the following two sources, I don't see any differentiation between cable and network shows. But I don't see how else cable shows could determine their ad rates. Frankly, the whole Nielsen rating system is a mystery to me. And one I abhor. Especially with the way in which most viewers watch TV today. (Or maybe I'm just jealous that the Nielsen's never called me.)

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/top1...ion.html♦

http://en.wikipedia....Nielsen_ratings

Thanks, ImSoDizzy for the stats. This can't bode well for the show.

Rosie's show is also selectively broadcast on more Discovery Channels (TLC, Investigation Discovery, Discovery Fit & Health and Planet Green,) than just OWN.

I mean no offense, but do we have different cable feeds? I ask this honestly as I have not seen Rosie's show on any of these outlets since her premier week. And I routinely follow all* of those channels

Funny you should mention Investigation Discovery; while searching for Rosie's show I came across The Will on OWN (and in turn ID) and have become addicted to that show. I find it very well produced and I highly recommend it.

Regardless of spring breaks or Nielsen ratings, I find it odd that Rosie would go on hiatus for two weeks just a month after a long Holiday break. For me this spells trouble.

From my experience, there is no such thing as a 3-year contract in TV. Oh, sure, on paper there is, but there are always "out" clauses--even if it's "pay or play". We shall see. Maybe I'm just a conspiracy theorist like Rosie.

I'm saddened because I felt that Ro was just finding her stride. I hope I'm wrong because for the most part I like the changes. I just find the whole situation odd. I find it odder that OWN is not airing "The Best of Rosie" during these two weeks to lure in viewers who may have missed the original airings.

Vive la Rosie, but give us some damn new shows!

* All meaning since I found ID.

Edited by Xingu, Feb 25, 2012 @ 8:03 AM.

sunnysyde

sunnysyde

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 4:34 AM

Does anyone know when Star will be on the show?

BlueSapphires

BlueSapphires

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

Regardless of spring breaks or Nielsen ratings, I find it odd that Rosie would go on hiatus for two weeks just a month after a long Holiday break. For me this spells trouble.

Yeah, honestly I thought it probably meant that they were checking to see if they got the same rating for old reruns that Rosie and her big salary were bringing in. She had enough one-on-one shows to re-air. I would have watched a few of them again myself.

Blackie

Blackie

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

Actually, here in Canada, they did play reruns during the first week of her hiatus. And would you guys believe me if I told you that they actually re-aired the Chelsea Handler interview? Because they did. I actually re-watched it to see if they would edit out the end segment this time round and they did not. They replayed the whole friggin' thing. I kept wondering why nobody here had brought up the fact that they actually replayed it less than a week later and now I know why -- you guys in the U.S. got different programming than we did.

I'm from Canada too and just was about to post the same thing. I thought they would at least cut the offensive part out of the CH interview since it was right at end.

Morbs

Morbs

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

I bet they wish she was more offensive, just to get her back on the pop culture radar.

I gotta admit, I'm excited for the Star Jones interview. I think Star is a bad person (because of a story Jon Stewart once told where a Daily Show staffer who worked at The View was made to rub lotion on Star's legs, that says it all to me) but I love The View drama! I don't care that it was so long ago, it is my pop culture guilty pleasure.

I'm also excited for Sandra Bernhard, because I expect Rosie to bring up Sandra's dislike of her friends Madonna and Kathy Griffin just for some buzz.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

I'm also excited for Sandra Bernhard, because I expect Rosie to bring up Sandra's dislike of her friends Madonna and Kathy Griffin just for some buzz.

There is so much to talk about with Sandra Bernhard, usually I get the sense that Sandra hates most everything. She and Rosie actually seem like they have similar temperaments. And yes I definitely expect her to at least bring up Madonna and probably some political stuff as well.

dhall60

dhall60

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 2:48 PM

Where are you guys getting the lineup for the next few weeks? My late-night viewing website no longer mentions Rosie.

Someone mentioned Lily Tomlin as a future guest - now that's must-see TV for me! I wonder if they will discuss the time she was on the view and Barbara just kept drilling and drilling her about getting married, and why she wasn't, and didn't she want to, etc. etc. I was so embarrassed for Lily but she kept a cool and gracious attitude. I actually met her once.....

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

My cable guide is listing
Monday-Abby Lee Miller from Dance Moms
Tuesday-Tony Danza
Wednesday- Patti Blagojevich
Thursday-Catelynn and Tyler from Teen Mom
Friday-Audra McDonald and Norm Lewis from Porgy and Bess

ChicagoCita

ChicagoCita

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

Someone mentioned Lily Tomlin as a future guest - now that's must-see TV for me!

She was in town this weekend to do a show at some theater in the northern 'burbs. I wonder if they taped it this weekend?

DisneyGiant

DisneyGiant

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 9:30 PM

Just an FYI - I read that Star Jones might be on tomorrow - or sometime this week. I hope this one lives up the potential

Xingu

Xingu

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 11:08 PM

My cable guide is listing
Monday-Abby Lee Miller from Dance Moms
Tuesday-Tony Danza
Wednesday- Patti Blagojevich
Thursday-Catelynn and Tyler from Teen Mom
Friday-Audra McDonald and Norm Lewis from Porgy and Bess

Thanks for the heads up. My on-screen guide is showing the same line up, so I'm not sure when Star will appear. But when she does appear it should be deliciously entertaining. I really hope they both give it to Bill Geddies. Baba Wawa, I suspect, will be off the table for the most as they have all kissed and made up.

I'm probably one of the few that enjoys Abby. So I'm looking forward to that show. She is what she is, and if the Dance Mom's have a problem with that they should move elsewhere, IMO. Although, I bet dollars to donuts that much of her rhetoric is for the show. But you can't deny her record of pupils that have gone on to be star dancers/choreographers. I was shocked to learn that Abby was never a dancer herself. I had no idea that one could be a choreographer without ever having danced. So I thank The View for that info. I had assumed that she was a dancer in her younger days and was curious to know when she put on the weight. I loved her answer about this on The View: "I didn't have the body to be a dancer." I love people who admit their limitations.

Tony Danza? Why?

Patti Blagojevich? Ditto.

Catelynn and Tyler from Teen Mom? I'll be skipping that one. Why glorify teen pregnancy?

Audra McDonald and Norm Lewis from Porgy and Bess? This has me most excited of all the shows. I think Audra is a national treasure and Norm Lewis is just yummy. And he sings pretty damned good, too. I love, love, love how Rosie supports Broadway.

Despite my criticism of her guests, I have to give Rosie credit. She's not playing the same game as every other talk show. She has on who she wants to chat with. I give her great kudos for not kowtowing to the latest hot celeb/fad/movie/tv show. I get so tired of these people going from talk show to talk show saying the same damned thing. Tyler Perry, anyone?

I wonder if she will ever have Barbra Streisand on her show? I would kill to see that. Speaking of which, whatever happened to Ro's documentary Stalking Streisand that she filmed several years ago? Anyone have the scoop?

I have a show-related question for any Chicagoans out there. Since the show has moved to the 1-on-1's with no audience, whatever happened to those who had tickets for the show? Were they notified or just left hanging?

Sigh, just as I predicted it seems we will never see Hollee again. I wish her and Pianogirl2012 the best. But mostly I wish good health for Pianogirl2012. I honestly do keep her in my thoughts and prayers. She's such a cool chick.

Edited by Xingu, Feb 26, 2012 @ 11:29 PM.

onthecoast

onthecoast

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 11:51 PM

I have a show-related question for any Chicagoans out there. Since the show has moved to the 1-on-1's with no audience, whatever happened to those who had tickets for the show? Were they notified or just left hanging?

I remember not long after the format changed to the 1 on 1 interviews, Rosie tweeted that they were planning to schedule a luncheon with her and all the people who had tickets for the shows that were cancelled with an audience. Haven't heard anything since.

I have also wondered whatever happened to the Documentary, Stalking Streisand that I believe Rosie first started talking about when she was on The View in 2007. My guess is that the project was dropped.

Edited by onthecoast, Feb 27, 2012 @ 12:05 AM.

OutofTouchUSA

OutofTouchUSA

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 2:11 AM

She has on who she wants to chat with.

Xingu In my opinion, that can't possibly be true. She wanted to chat with Kendra? No way. Kendra is the antithesis of feminism. The Rosie Show can't book A-List guests. I would have thought that she or Oprah could call in a few favors and book some talent - but that does not seem to be the case. Maybe it's a result of her personality? She is a bit of an unpredictable wildcard with little to lose - and from what I have read - and witnessed personally - she does not play well with others.

In the previews for Abby/Dance Moms the red shoe is back - so this is another recycled show. I don't get what Rosie "loves" about Abby - other than the fact that Abby is fatter, meaner and more obnoxious than Rosie. Maybe she feels better about herself in comparison to Abby?

I've never seen Dance Moms, but have seen clips as its been discussed here and there - and I doubt Rosie would let Abby "teach" any of her kids, regardless of her track record. And, speaking of track record, the fact that a few of her "students" over the years have moved on to prestigious dance positions does not mean Abby is a great teacher. Statistically, if she's taught thousands of students - there are going to be a few with the natural talent to dance professionally...flexibility, stamina, etc. I'd argue they were successful in spite of her "training/badgering."

If the show does not move to NY, I would imagine it is not long for this world. Who would I like to see? Laura Linney, Diane Lane, Michael Douglas, Condoleezza Rice, Adele, Diane Wakoski, Madeleine Albright, Viola Davis, Melissa McCarthy, Malcolm Gladwell, Warren Buffett, Sandra Day O'Connor, Maureen Dowd, Tom Brokaw, Howard Stern, Hugh Laurie, Michelle Williams, Busy Phillips, Alexis Stewart, anyone from any industry who has half-a-brain and some life experience will have something interesting to say - The Kendra/J-Wowww/Snooki's of the world need not apply.

jcsc

jcsc

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 11:58 AM

A program note further to King Cat Sam's post - for those of us in Canada (maybe same for U.S., I don't know), starting tonight The Rosie Show is moving from 7 pm EST to 4 pm EST...

Edited by jcsc, Feb 27, 2012 @ 12:00 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 12:22 PM

That better not be the case in the US, as my DVR was showing 7pm when I left this morning & I won't be home to change it. Also, during every break on Oprah's Oscar special yesterday they advertised Rosie's show with Abby from Dance Moms at 7pm.

onthecoast

onthecoast

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

The Rosie Show can't book A-List guests.

Well in my opinion, Jane Fonda, Kristin Chenoweth, Patti LaBelle, Common, Sara Ramirez, Russell Brand and Kathy Griffin [even though she still plays up the D list role] are all A-list celebrities and have all been on the show. But I guess it depends on your point of reference ie., Chenowith is a big star in the Broadway world or TV stars vs. movie stars as A- listers.

If the show succeeds, I wouldn’t be surprised if they start booking more of “todays” A-list celebs, especially if the show moves to New York where I think it should be.

Edited by onthecoast, Feb 27, 2012 @ 3:46 PM.

car54

car54

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

I thought maybe Rosie would have a lot to talk about with the Teen Mom kids because aren't they the ones who gave up their little girl for adoption and they've been to see her with her adoptive family?
If they are the ones I remember they were very nice kids--made a very hard choice at such a young age...and the show followed them as they dealt with giving her up.
I would think Rosie as an adoptive mom would have an interesting perspective.

I kind of like Abby too--She is who she is and the show is set up to make her some kind of a monster but she's been teaching for 30 years and has been very successful. I hate that Cathy woman who is going to be on with her tho.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

Stalker

• Interests:If you have a question for me, please use the Messenger/PM system to do that rather than leaving a question on this page (unless you’re a Just Tuned In, who won’t be able to use it until you’ve made ten posts). Thanks!

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 6:57 PM

The heavily detailed discussion of what Rosie needs to do to improve the show is getting repetitive. Perhaps those of you who are most interested should take it to PM now. Thanks.

Edited by TWoP Howard, Feb 27, 2012 @ 6:58 PM.

Sugarwater

Sugarwater

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 27, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Since the red shoe was present in the Abby Lee episode that means it was filmed three or four weeks ago? How many more of these red shoe episodes are there and why couldn't they be aired during the hiatus?

Abby and Cathy pretty much admitted Dance Moms is scripted, but then everybody already knew that. I had to laugh at Rosie's response when Abby said she was the kids' mom. She basically looked at her like "bitch, please" and then said "interesting".

OutofTouchUSA

OutofTouchUSA

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 12:54 AM

Since the red shoe was present in the Abby Lee episode that means it was filmed three or four weeks ago?

SugarWater: That's right. And Rosie told a bold face lie in the intro and said that the interview happened today. She actually went so far as to wear the same outfit during the intro about the Oscars as she did during the Abby interview with the red show that she gave to Traci Lords weeks ago.

Thought it was telling that Abby has no husband and no kids. Interpreted that to mean - no significant other at all. Sad. And she said it was all worth it. For what? the fame and fortune of Dance Moms?

Abby also mentioned that the kids at her very first competition as a coach won - think she "trained them to be champions?"

I don't watch Dance Moms and it sounds awful - but I appreciated when Cathy seemed to imply that the show is staged for the cameras. She said that she whispers in her daughter's ear what is going to happen before she yells at another Mom or Abby in front of her (because she doesn't act like that in her home). Abby also said Cathy was "recruited" to be on the show - as opposed to just being a Mom with a child in Abby's school when the cameras arrived.

Rosie seems to be using a lot of Andy Cohen's tactics. I understand that television is a marketing tool - but to have celebrities lie for sport aggravates me.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 28, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

I hope Rosie left something out of her Valentine necklace story. She didn't put it on right away because she already has a nice necklace on, so Michelle returns the gift? Maybe she would wear it on another occasion. That doesn't paint Michelle in the best light.