The Rosie O'Donnell Show

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1744 replies to this topic

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 2:09 AM

I can't be the only one that loved this show! What are everyone's favorite (or least favorite) memories of it?

Dbonz

Dbonz

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 5:41 PM

You're not the only one JakeyIsSusan! I really miss this show.

I know Rosie has said that it was very difficult for her to do this show at times because she felt that she had to be upbeat all the time.

I wish there was some kind of "Talk Show Channel" that shows reruns of old talk shows just so I can see some of the earlier episodes of this show! I haven't found another talk show that could even come close to comparing to it since it went off the air.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 5:50 PM

I know Rosie's not the most favourite person on TWOP, but boy, did I love her talk show. Yes, it went downhill in the last couple of seasons but I think after a few years break, she could return and it would be wonderful. I have never warmed up to Ellen, who I find cold, disinterested and uninformed.

I loved when Rosie talked about the tv shows she watched the prior night. I liked that she was a big fan of shows like ER, Party of Five and Survivor.

funkymunky

funkymunky

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 5:58 PM

I loved when Rosie talked about the tv shows she watched the prior night. I liked that she was a big fan of shows like ER, Party of Five and Survivor.

That was the best part of her show. Another TV addict discussing all the shows that I liked.

canuck027

canuck027

Couch Potato

• Interests:Channel and Web Surfing.

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 8:48 PM

I kind of still miss the Rosie O'Donell Show. Although, in the later years, it became about her and her insisting on singing and self-promotion.(Look at me, Look at me-watch my reaction-nevermind the guest, put me on camera!)
I did love the first couple of years-it was refreshing, so fn funny and a joy to watch. I think that Ellen G. has watched too many of Rosie's shows and has started to pattern her show after it!

LucyHoneychurch

LucyHoneychurch

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 9:24 PM

I loved that she always featured Broadway show performances. It gave a lot of press to unknown shows and performers, which no talk show seems to continue now.

MC SammyD

MC SammyD

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 9:49 PM

I LOVED Rosie's show. I really miss it. There really is nothing like it on daytime anymore.

The one moment that I think I'll always remember was a certain Superkid that she had on after 9/11. The "Superkid" was a segment that she had each month during the last season or two of the show, and they would profile a kid who had overcome some kind of incredible odds to succeed in school and go off to college. Soon after 9/11 she had a girl on as a new Superkid, and when Rosie told her that Kellogg's was going to pay her entire college tuition, the girl immediately asked if the money could be donated to the victims of 9/11 instead. I remember her saying something about her still having arms and legs, and she'll be able to go on and make it for herself, but the victims of the attack wouldn't have the same opportunity. What that girl said struck Rosie to the point of not even being able to respond. You could tell she was in awe of what this girl had just done, much as I was as I watched at home. It was one of those incredible TV moments that will probably stick with me for a long, long time.

Goofy Lookin' Nerd

Goofy Lookin' Nerd

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 8, 2006 @ 4:31 PM

The one moment that I think I'll always remember was a certain Superkid that she had on after 9/11. The "Superkid" was a segment that she had each month during the last season or two of the show, and they would profile a kid who had overcome some kind of incredible odds to succeed in school and go off to college. Soon after 9/11 she had a girl on as a new Superkid, and when Rosie told her that Kellogg's was going to pay her entire college tuition, the girl immediately asked if the money could be donated to the victims of 9/11 instead. I remember her saying something about her still having arms and legs, and she'll be able to go on and make it for herself, but the victims of the attack wouldn't have the same opportunity. What that girl said struck Rosie to the point of not even being able to respond. You could tell she was in awe of what this girl had just done, much as I was as I watched at home. It was one of those incredible TV moments that will probably stick with me for a long, long time.

MC SammyD you just made me cry at work!!! I forgot about that...

Corbinxxa84

Corbinxxa84

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2006 @ 4:42 PM

I liked this show too. I also generally like Rosie herself.

In both cases, however, I can absolutely see how she and her style could be a little... much. Certain jokes and gimmicks were too cutesy and obnoxious (itsthelastjokehowdoiknowitsthelastjokeits... TAPED TO THE DESK, the obnoxiously gay stylist, Rosie's post-9/11 home movies of dubious quality) but a lot of the time, it was a really enjoyable show. What I remember most was her laugh. Rosie O'Donnell, in my opinion, has the most genuine and appealing laugh of any talk show host, past or present.

Does anyone else remember the poor NYC traffic cop who got noticed because he did a spastic dance while directing traffic? Rosie has him on (he brings her a personalized K-Mart vest and nametag because his daughter works there) and he does his dance. The mortifying thing was that the dance isn't very long. It was also set to weird disco music from the band. He finishes the dance itself but has to repeat it because the band keeps playing. It only ends after five or six times when Rosie spazes onto the stage, doing her own version of the dance. Awkward but hilarious and surreal at the same time.

sharina

sharina

Posted Mar 8, 2006 @ 5:16 PM

I used to really like this show too but in the end it started to wear me out kind of.

For some reason, one of the moments I remember is when Jennifer Holliday came on to promote something and she gave out the website and she said (websitename).cum instead of ".com" and Rosie just gave this nervous look and you could hear people snickering in the audience and Rosie was just trying to gloss over it...hard to explain but it was funny.

I liked when she did the games in the audience (even though she gave everyone prizes....lame)

Another TV addict discussing all the shows that I liked.

My favorite too (except her painful hosting of the Survivor reunion whatever season that was)

Canadian Tyler

Canadian Tyler

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2006 @ 8:35 PM

This was one show that was either really great, or really annoying. As the years went on, it veered more towards the annoying for me.
Granted, I was far from the target audience of the show, but Rosie drove me nuts sometimes with all the little toys, Koosh balls, etc. I forgot about the "taped to the desk" thing, what a memory jog.
But, I gotta say as far as daytime talk shows go, Rosie was pretty innovative compared to others shows on at the time. The opening was different, the music was different, having an audience member introduce Rosie was different.
The theme music is still burned into my memory, it was very catchy and fitting to the show.

canuck027

canuck027

Couch Potato

• Interests:Channel and Web Surfing.

Posted Mar 8, 2006 @ 10:18 PM

I miss the Koosh Balls. And "What's-His-Name" Band Leader and the forced banter with the Hostess and mostly his cute lil giggle. I remember feeling so proud during the 1st season when Rosie read from the local paper of the station's city that carried the show. And also the fun,etc of the show when it was live. Dammit, I miss The Rosie O'Donnell Show!

tisha

tisha

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2006 @ 10:41 PM

What's-His-Name" Band Leader

John McD and the McDLTs!

/hangs head in shame for remembering

NeonJungle

NeonJungle

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 8, 2006 @ 10:50 PM

Most favorite moments: Craft and cooking segments (especially with Martha Stewart).

The kids she'd interview (not her interviewing style).

Least favorite moments: Grandstanding -- like when Tom Selleck came on and Rosie turned it into an argument about gun control.

All the Tom Cruise hype.

All the talk about what she ate, the diets, the snacks.

All the talk about broadway shows and the ones she was going to be a part of.

Her constant references to how big (in circumference) her head is.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 2:39 AM

Yeah, the gun control thing bugged me too. I agreed with her, but Tom Selleck was on to promote a movie, not to have a debate.

Things I liked? Not only would she give to charity, but she was creative in the ways she did it. Remember when Scope had that survey asking people about most and least kissable celebrities? Rosie ended up in the "least kissable" category. For a whole month, every time that a guest kissed Rosie, Cool Mint Listerine would donate $10, 000 to charity.

tiggertwo

tiggertwo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 8:42 AM

I liked that she was so real and open and honest. As someone mentioned the fact that she talked about what she watched on TV. A lot of entertainment people never seem to watch TV as if it was beneath them.

Liked it:

When she discovered a chin hair - she had close ups on it everyday and was even going to put a bead on it

When Whitney Houston cancelled at the last moment and the whole show was to promote the Cinderella movie she produced (starring Brandy). Rosie kept saying "I hope she's really sick" Now I realize she was probably referring to Whitney's drug use and wondering if that was the reason she cancelled. At the time, I didn't get it.

That she didn't always ask the celebrities the usual questions - they opened up to her (some anyway) in a way they didn't do on other talk shows

Hated it:
The interview with Barbra Streisand - I had to turn it off - I was embarrassed for her

The Tom Cruise stuff

The way every kid had to be called a cutie patootie

Strident Rosie

KatieFlirth

KatieFlirth

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 9:29 AM

I loved her show too and I really miss it. Even the Tom Cruise hype (remember that? Creepy! LMFAO). I often wonder what she'd say about him now that he's become the joke of the decade.

And MC SammyD that girl was one of the best moments on tv ever. It was so sweet and endearing.

JessicaFletcher

JessicaFletcher

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 9:44 AM

I loved this show. I loved her Tom Cruise stuff. I love that everytime she spoke about him, she would say I'm not in love with him but I wouldn't mind him mowing my lawn while I drink iced tea.

I loved how bleebleeblahblahboo knowledge she had. Imagine what the show would be like now with TIVO!?!?!

kcjones

kcjones

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 10:00 AM

I loved her show too and I really miss it. Even the Tom Cruise hype (remember that? Creepy! LMFAO). I often wonder what she'd say about him now that he's become the joke of the decade

Seriously!! She'd probably be staging an intervention for Katie!

noirish

noirish

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 10:26 AM

Ah, the return of the bleebleeblahblahboo bug (or the [much] tv bug)! How I've missed you!

We used to watch this show all the time when I lived in college residence. She had the best A list stars on, which was a change from most daytime talk shows. I'll always have a little, tiny bit of a warm feeling towards Matt Damon and Ben Affleck for the thank-you note they wrote Rosie after she had them on her show (she said no one ever wrote a thank-you). Her love of all things t.v. did make it a great show to watch.

By the end I just found her to be fake (and I guess that was since she felt so much pressure to be upbeat), which was a shame.

JessicaFletcher

JessicaFletcher

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 2:40 PM

funny about the thank you note. That's the reason why Kevin Smith cast Ben Affleck in Chasing Amy, because in Mallrats he wrote him a thank you note everytime he would leave for a couple of days to "take meetings" for Good Will Hunting. That's how their friendship really began.

Back to Rosie, my favorite guests were her childhood idols who weren't as know in the mainstream as Babs and Bette.

what's the bleebleeblahblahboo bug?

Sarah8579

Sarah8579

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 8:04 AM

I always loved hearing her talk about her favorite TV shows too. Especially Po5. Except towards the end she would really go crazy on Julia's boyfriend as if he was really an abuser. Remember when she had them all on for their finale and they did the Party of 5 quiz? I have that on VHS somewhere - I may have to dig it up.

OT Oh, but didn't the guy that played Julia's bf at the end of the show end up getting arrested or something? /OT

Theresa

Theresa

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 12:53 PM

Like most talk shows, I only watched Rosie when she had a guest on I wanted to see. I am one those people who like it when celebs take a stand on issues, so I actually liked it when she talked about gun control, etc. I think that took guts. My opinion of her has improved drastically after reading her blog. She pulls no punches when it comes to castigating politicians and celebrities for bad behavior. Although she is no longer on TV, that takes guts too.

Her theme music is embedded in my brain too. And, her knowledge of popular culture trivia, especially TV, was scary. I think her show was far better than some of the stuff currently on daytime TV.

Corbinxxa84

Corbinxxa84

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 7:08 PM

Rosie changing the set around for Barbra was embarassing.

druthers

druthers

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 12:42 PM

Her theme music is embedded in my brain too.

The song that comes to me at the oddest times is the "Oh they'll think I'm crazy, I know they'll think I'm crazy..." that she sang. I never even saw the kid's show she got it from, but it was a running bit that cracked me up.

I got a Baby Bjorn jeopardy question correct the other day thanks to Rosie!

Wasn't there a finger puppet re-enactment of Party of Five? Her tv talk was my favourite part of the show.

noirish

noirish

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 10:47 PM

what's the bleebleeblahblahboo bug?

Because the site was being spammed, Glark set it up so that any time you type "[much] tv" (without the []) it comes up bleebleeblahblahboo.

Topic? I think that ultimately Rosie did herself a disservice with the whole Tom Cruise thing becuase people (not me) felt that she was being deceitful. At the time though it was so funny. I remember how horrible Renee Zellweger was on the show when Tom made his first appearance and I've always hated her a little since.

AmyParsley

AmyParsley

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 12:50 AM

I took my mom to see her show a month before it ended. She loaded the audience down with stuff...Broadway show tickets, athletic equipment, shirts...and I've been to Oprah twice--she didn't give away anything! And Rosie's staff and production were worlds nicer and kinder than Oprah's are. It seemed like a family atmosphere and everyone seemed to be having a great time. When the warmup guy was trying to get the audience all riled up before the show he was throwing those koosh balls at everyone. I mean, hundreds and hundreds of them. One of the production assistants noticed that my mom was having trouble getting one and ran and got her a huge pile of them.

I really had a hard time reconciling the peppy onscreen Rosie with the normal, not hyperactive woman who I saw on the set before and after the show. Because two of the segments was pre-taped before air time (the lady from Throughly Modern Millie and a Lisa Kudrow interview), she asked the audience if they'd like to watch the performance again and then the LK interview, or if we wanted her to come out and answer questions from the audience for 20 minutes. We chose the Q&A, of course, and she was extremely honest and down-to-earth and friendly. I liked the real Rosie a lot better than the TV Rosie.

jo_tornblade

jo_tornblade

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:53 AM

Watching Rosie on her last 2 appearances on Martha reminded me of how much I enjoyed her talk show when it was on.

The only thing I can remember specifically is her mocking the cover of a magazine for calling her the "Queen of Nice" and then playing a clip of her yelling at someone during a commercial (regarding a loud noise that happened during the show). She always seemed puzzled by how she got that "nice" title.

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 10:43 AM

I loved this show. I loved her Tom Cruise stuff. I love that everytime she spoke about him, she would say I'm not in love with him but I wouldn't mind him mowing my lawn while I drink iced tea.

I got my letter printed in Entertainment Weekly about a decade ago saying that while the magazine did a great job for their interview concerning Jerry Maguire, she just barely beat them out in terms of quality. (Of course now, my opinion about Cruise is COMPLELTY different.)

I liked her show a lot, but I felt it was a major misstep to battle Tom Selleck concerning gun control. I understand her passion for the cause, but it just screamed awkward.

Anyone Bueller

Anyone Bueller

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 7:00 PM

I loved her Tom Cruise stuff. I love that everytime she spoke about him, she would say I'm not in love with him but I wouldn't mind him mowing my lawn while I drink iced tea.

At the end of her very last show, they showed a video of Tom Cruise mowing a lawn. He stopped the mower, walked to the camera with a glass, and said, "Rosie, I've mowed your lawn. Now, here's your iced tea."