The Seventh Doctor: "Oi, Dalek! It’s Me!"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

103 replies to this topic

Carlos1969

Carlos1969

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 5, 2007 @ 8:19 AM

The new Survival DVD is supposed to have a bunch of extra features. One of them is supposed to be a documentary telling what would have happened if the show had returned for another season.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2007 @ 3:10 PM

I'm planning to get that on DVD. Wasn't Adele Silva from Emmerdale in that episode?

Edited by darkestboy, Jul 9, 2007 @ 3:12 PM.

Sohei

Sohei

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 10, 2007 @ 1:21 PM

IIRC, Ace was supposed to be written out by being taken to Gallifrey and enrolled in the Academy to eventually become a Time Lord, there was a new companion who was a (thinks) thief, I think. A Safe-cracker.

And the Seventh Doc would eventually have a breakdown through his manipulations going wrong and regenerate into Richard Griffiths as Eight.

jeet

jeet

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 10, 2007 @ 4:46 PM

I thought it was Five they considered Richard Griffiths for.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 24, 2007 @ 9:17 AM

I heard that too. Apparantly Sylvester was originally going to do two season but got coerced into doing three years as Seven.

Flipote

Flipote

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 2:58 PM

A link to an official clip of one of Sylvester McCoy's scenes as the Fool in the RSC's King Lear (with Ian McKellen) can be found here. It's as much of the production as I'm likely to see, since it's sold out.

It's just as well - I would keep imagining the Fool as Seven, and would no doubt giggle inappropriately at the line "This prophecy Merlin shall make, for I live before his time."

Edited by Flipote, Sep 17, 2007 @ 3:00 PM.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted Sep 17, 2007 @ 3:21 PM

A link to an official clip of one of Sylvester McCoy's scenes as the Fool in the RSC's King Lear (with Ian McKellen) can be found here. It's as much of the production as I'm likely to see, since it's sold out.

Wow! I heard that story the other day. IIRC, they did "Lear" in the afternoon and "The Seagull" that night? Damn!

Sylvester McCoy doesn't look to have aged hardly at all. Good for him! If his return for a Christmas Special with Five is true, he'll fit right in.

Carlos1969

Carlos1969

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 29, 2007 @ 10:34 PM

I got The Fires of Vulcan for Christmas and was impressed with both Sylvester McCoy and Bonnie Langford. The story is great as well.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2008 @ 1:23 PM

I never bought McCoy as the darker Doctor, or as the master manipulator of time and space. Those scenes where he confronts Davros fall so flat for me. I much preferred him in his more comedic first season.

kwynne38

kwynne38

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2008 @ 9:33 AM

Your possibly the only one who prefers his first series although the only really bad story of that season was the first one with the Rani. Don't know why people don't like Delta and the Bannermen and the PAradise Towers, I thought both quite good when I saw them originally.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Jul 4, 2008 @ 3:02 PM

I think the show was going through major turmoil at the time, the whole show was in the final years of a long decline, JNT was a lightning rod, and what was on the screens was the easiest target. I'd much rather watch any of the stories that season than ponderous claptrap like Ghost Light.

Edited by O2Sean, Jul 4, 2008 @ 3:03 PM.

Carlos1969

Carlos1969

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 11, 2008 @ 7:52 PM

To me, the McCoy era was hit and miss. I thought that Remembrance of the Daleks was brillant, but Silver Nemesis was terrible. It seemed like a retread of Remembrance. Delta and the Bannermen and Dragonfire were silly, but fun stories, whereas Paradise Towers was absolutely awful. At the time, I think that tptb were just trying to come up with something different than what viewers had seen before.

I also prefer McCoy's first season though because it wasn't taking itself so seriously.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2010 @ 4:59 PM

Another fan myth overturned. For the TVM, the Yanks wanted McCoy back, the BBC didn't!! Not because they thought it was a terrible way to introduce the character to a new audience, but because they thought he was a bit rubbish. I think that's a bit harsh on the short, Scottish one, but...yeah.

Mr. Excitement

Mr. Excitement

Fanatic

• Interests:Posting on message boards, watching television programs, posting on message boards about television programs, it's a full life...

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 12:09 AM

Ever wonder what the show would be like if Sylvester McCoy were still playing the Doctor?

Well, Ken Plume did, and he cajoled McCoy into a dramatic reading of 11's big speech from "The Pandorica Opens" at this year's Dragon*Con...