The Tenth Doctor: Rude & Not Ginger

• Please log in to reply

1751 replies to this topic

jeet

jeet

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 11:03 AM

I have to admit that I liked the Tenth Doctor more in the "Children in Need" short than I did "The Christmas Invasion".

The acting and the writing in CiN seem to "know" who the Tenth Doctor is whereas CI was all over the place, which I suppose can be chalked up to the fact that the CiN short was shot well after CI.

xtreme

xtreme

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 11:10 AM

What I loved about him in CI was that entrance. Both times he did one, it was the calm, deal with nicities first approach that seems classic Dr

wisteria

wisteria

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 1:35 PM

I have to pop in with a very loud squee because I'd planned to start a thread with the same title. Great minds think alike, etc.

I liked him in CI more than most, I suspect, though I'm also very easy to please. He hooked me with: "There is more to see than can ever be seen, more to do than -- no, hold on. Sorry, that's The Lion King."

Admittedly, I haven't seen Four or Five since I watched the reruns on PBS in middle school twenty years ago, but Tennant appears to be playing a similar genial wryness, an assumption backed up by friends who've been fans for ages. Eccleston was marvelous as Nine, but I really look forward to where Tennant will take the role.

xtreme

xtreme

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 1:52 PM

Right there with you, that whole speech just cracked me up, that and this section from the fight scene

Sycorax: Witchcraft

Ten: Time Lord

Its the calm anger in his voice, it just works.

Oh and

No second chances

pinkmoon

pinkmoon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 2:24 PM

I liked him even before I saw the CiN special. Maybe it was all the interviews I read in which David Tennant looked so, so happy for playing his childhood hero. It's cute.

I think he won me over when he held Rose's hand and talked about the first thing he ever said to her (*swoon*) and I was in love with him by the time he mentioned that he knew Arthur Dent.

And I like how, well, ruthless he seems. He's all nice, happy and all but don't mess with him. Only six words y'all!

Aurelian

Aurelian

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 2:47 PM

I'm still not entirely sold on him. Then again, CE was my first Doctor, and I'm sure almost everyone has a tough time dealing with the transition between their first doctor and their next. Don't take it that I don't like him, I think he's great, it's just that he doesn't quite feel as sure of himself as CE did. Then again, I suppose that was the main point of the Christmas Invasion, wasn't it?

This'll be an interesting topic, seeing as 95% of it will have to be spoiler barred.

Jacob

Jacob

Network Executive

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 3:53 PM

Actually, the title of the thread is enough of a spoiler that people should know better than come in here if they haven't seen the series. Consider this a spoiler-okay zone.

Chiriru

Chiriru

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 6:02 PM

Oh, I LOVE Tennant. I spent the entire time watching TCI pointing out prior Doctors (and prior Doctor and Tennant shout outs). I love his look is back to that more "oddly Quirky" styling, I love how he fluxuates; he's clearly his own Doctor but who definately knows his stuff. My biggest complaint about CE's doctor was that his outfit never looked well, Doctorish enough.

Anyways, I think Tennant is brilliant and perfect; though this doesn't negate my CE love. (Or probably even worse, my love of PM after listening to so many radio dramas.)

chicklet

chicklet

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 6:13 PM

I second the Tennant!Love.

He brings a mercurial brilliance to the role, as well as an enthusiasm borne from the fact that he's a bona-fide, admitted, fanboy.

I was enthralled through the final 20 minutes of TCI...who else could kick so much ass wearing PJ's?

Synaesthete

Synaesthete

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 10:33 PM

I adore Tennant. I had no idea that I was going to adore him as much as I do. I thought he would be sort of affable and inoffensive and not nearly as edgy as Nine, just based on his looks compared to Christopher Eccleston's. I figured he would be the cute fluffy bunny Doctor and I wasn't sure if I was going to be into that.

Once I saw TCE, though, I was delighted to find that Ten was actually scarier than Nine. When Nine got scary it was usually because he was out of control in some way -- his anger had got the better of him. When Ten gets angry, though, I feel like he's entirely in control, it's a kind of cold rational anger, and that makes him even scarier. That bit with the satsuma, while complete nonsense from a plot perspective, was dead brilliant from a character perspective. "I'm THAT sort of a man." Oh, my, yes you are. *fans self*

Also, I love how Ten does "do domestic" and it doesn't seem to faze him at all. It's a clever contrast to Nine's skittishness in that department.

areacode212

areacode212

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 10:42 PM

Once I saw TCE, though, I was delighted to find that Ten was actually scarier than Nine.

Yeah, I thought so too. I think a lot of it also had to do with the way he completely switched from being full of charm and quippy remarks to.....EVIL, with his "six words" speech. I think I saw someone mention somewhere how they hid behind their sofa--from the Doctor!

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2006 @ 5:31 AM

Also, I love how Ten does "do domestic" and it doesn't seem to faze him at all. It's a clever contrast to Nine's skittishness in that department.

I like that side of him too, he reminds me of the Fourth Doctor in that respect - you're reminded that he loves Earthlings and their customs, Jelly Babies, Christmas crackers and all.

Once I saw TCE, though, I was delighted to find that Ten was actually scarier than Nine.

Yeah, I thought so too. I think a lot of it also had to do with the way he completely switched from being full of charm and quippy remarks to.....EVIL, with his "six words" speech. I think I saw someone mention somewhere how they hid behind their sofa--from the Doctor!

I totally agree. Before I saw the Tenth Doctor, I imagined him being slightly bumbling and affable, but I like his steeliness underneath his more charming side.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2006 @ 10:18 AM

I think it's totally necessary for everyone to track down the Doctor Who Magazine with the Christmas Invasion special. A DWM reporter followed the whole thing from script meetings to final shot. Highlights include a man deliberately spoiling an on-location take by barging through the shot complaining about "Bloody BBC! Bunch of poofs and homosexuals!" while Tennant heckles "Poofs AND homosexuals?! How extraordinary!"; Tennant spotting a speedboat full of paparazzi trying to take photos of filming and mooning them (but accidentally sticking his naked bum in the makeup lady's face); and Tennant pointing out how the 'satsuma of death' he's been given is, in fact, a clementine of death.

It's also interesting to see that the "You need to... you need to... you need to... you need to SHUT UP!" scene with Jackie was Tennant's suggestion.

randomling

randomling

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 6, 2006 @ 10:50 AM

The scene itself wasn't his suggestion (as far as I know), but the continually-trying-to-interrupt was. Which massively adds to the humour of that sequence IMO.

Tennant rocks. Synaesthete, I totally agree with you about him being scarier than Nine - he can be completely devastating and totally in control at the same time, as he was with Harriet Jones at the end of TCI. Very different from Eccleston's out-of-control spitting in Dalek, for instance. (That said, I love the spitting!)

I also love his versatility, and I know what you mean about picking out the different Doctors! Ten can be funny and whimsical, light-hearted and domestic, viciously violent, or dark and angry. And I'm sure many things we haven't seen yet. His taking-out of Harriet Jones was very McCoy somehow.

He. Is. Fantastic!

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2006 @ 11:25 AM

The scene itself wasn't his suggestion (as far as I know), but the continually-trying-to-interrupt was. Which massively adds to the humour of that sequence IMO.

Yes, that's my reading. The script just had one "I need you to..." in it, and he added the other three or four. Which really MAKES the scene IMHO.

Eruvadhril

Eruvadhril

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2006 @ 6:38 AM

He's won me over. I didn't like him at all straight after the regeneration- I think my choice of words was 'poncy Southern small-eared git'- but I suppose that's to be expected. Chris Eccleston remains 'my' Doctor, but I love Ten as well. Especially the way he said "Oh, I'd love you to come!" at the end of The Christmas Invasion. He still loves her bad. *manic shipper's grin*
I think it's interesting that he's now a lot more 'domestic'. Christmas dinner with Jackie Tyler? Whilst wearing a paper christmas cracker hat? Nine would have run screaming in the other direction.

Edited by Eruvadhril, Mar 8, 2006 @ 6:42 AM.

Aurelian

Aurelian

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2006 @ 12:44 PM

After just rewatching TCI, I think I really have warmed up to Ten. I like that he's both more goofy than Nine, and darker than he was, and DT has the ability to suddenly switch from one to the other and make it feel organic, which is important.

I'm really looking forward to the new series and being able to really see him in action.

erendis

erendis

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 4:01 AM

My first exposure to the show was DT during the Christmas Invasion - I turned on my TV just in time for Rose to give her little speech about the Slitheen Confederacy and then this oddly familiar guy shows up, and he's hugely entertaining, and I find myself badgering a friend of mine to borrow his S1 tapes with CE, who's awesome and fantastic, but all through my viewing of S1 I find myself thinking, damnit, DT doesn't show up till the very end? So in the dying seconds of PotW, when the rest of the world was crying 'cause CE was gone, I find myself grinning as 10 says, "Barcelona!" because 'my' Doctor is back.

And that's why I cannot wait for S2.

Alisa

Alisa

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 11:34 AM

I liked Ten almost instantly because of the way he reassured Rose by holding her hand. As TCI went on, I liked him more and more and by the time he got to the "Lion King" speech he had completely won me over. Plus he looked great in that suit with the Christmas hat and the glasses. (My shallow side hopes he wears the glasses in future episodes).

I still miss Nine, but I can't think of a better replacement.

marahsarie

marahsarie

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 2:12 AM

The glasses! (swoon!)

What won me over was the exchange in CiN:

Rose: Can you change back?
Doctor: Do you want me to?
Rose: Yes.
Doctor: Oh.
Rose: Can you?
Doctor: No.

And by the "It's gonna be fantastic" line at the end of the Christmas Invasion, I had already accepted him 100%. Is it April yet?

terebi

terebi

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 5:04 PM

I loves me some David Tennant. We'll see if I can actually wait to see if Skiffy shows the Tenth Doc, or if I'm going to have to call out some favo(u)rs from some pals in the UK. I loved how the BBC site lists him as the "maniacal" Doctor... which is good, because he gives great freakout (Barty Crouch Jr. anyone?).

ThirtyHelens

ThirtyHelens

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 7:00 PM

The glasses! (swoon!)

Precisely. I thought between the coat, the pinstripes, and the Chucks that I couldn't have a bigger geekgasm, and then they put glasses on him.

*THUD*

Absolutely loved him in The Christmas Invasion, BTW. (Which was a mediocre script, but man it came alive when he turned up...) Can't wait for the new series.

toysire

toysire

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 18, 2006 @ 1:50 AM

I loved how the BBC site lists him as the "maniacal" Doctor... which is good, because he gives great freakout (Barty Crouch Jr. anyone?).

I completely agree :-)

I loved Tennant in the Christmas Invasion. His performance really obscured any unflattering aspects in the Invasion itself. I adore how geektastic he is. He is a quirky kind of cute, even if he does remind me somewhat of my old English Teacher. Still, can't wait until the series starts again.

Queenrikki

Queenrikki

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 9:24 AM

I love Ten. I just finished watching the Christmas Invasion and I absolutely adored him (I have not quite reached the same level as Nine but I haven't just spent the last nine hours watching him either). I wasn't entirely sure about him at first, but he had me at the circle of life bit, oh and Arthur Dent and the satsuma of death. Oh and what he did to Harriet, that was absolutely brilliant.

Thena

Thena

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 11:04 AM

I cannot wait for April because I love Ten a lot too. I was hyped enough before CI, but I was immediately warmed by him. He had such great chemistry with everyone, and him and Jackie's interaction amused me. The glasses made me swoon to no one. I want me a piece of that doctor. He's warming than Nine, but still darker too. The shift from one doc to another has been very good. Soon, S2, soon!

scapebabe

scapebabe

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:50 AM

Eccleston will always have a place in my heart. I really first started watching during the Colin-era (I know, I know, pity me), but used to think of McCoy as "my" Doctor - but now I really consider it to be Eccleston.

That said, to the point of this thread, Tennant won me over with, "This is my fightin' hand!"

Pablokitty

Pablokitty

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 3:06 PM

That said, to the point of this thread, Tennant won me over with, "This is my fightin' hand!"

That part reminded me a little bit of Bruce Campbell in The Evil Dead, it was brilliant.

Titch22

Titch22

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 4:08 PM

Eccleston was my first doctor as I was very young (about 4 I think) when they stopped making doctor who and I had never even heard of a movie. So I was feeling extremley loyal to him when I met ten for the first time. But I must say that he really and truley won me over. His line 'this is my fighting hand' was brillant. And the resoltion to the episode with Harriet and him bringing her down with four words was brillant. Can't wait to see more of him.

Queenrikki

Queenrikki

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 5:36 PM

And the resoltion to the episode with Harriet and him bringing her down with four words was brillant. Can't wait to see more of him.

Six words, darling [/pedant]. "Don't you think she looks tired?"

Completely awesome. And for some strange reason, I love the sneakers.

Titch22

Titch22

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 5:40 PM

Sorry slight mistake but to be fair it has been what two three months since I saw it last.