Doctor Who in the Media

• Please log in to reply

3592 replies to this topic

fastiller

fastiller

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 10:20 AM

I didn't see a media topic so I thought I'd start one. If this should go elsewhere, let me know, or perhaps a mod could move it.

Here's a nice piece from Sunday's NY Times - free, but registration required - about the new version of the show: Dr. Who 2: Sexed-Up British Intelligence.

areacode212

areacode212

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 10:52 AM

I never thought I would see a mention of Outpost Gallifrey in the NYT. I wouldn't even have considered watching the new BSG until I read this gushing review in the NYT a couple of weeks before its premiere (also, I didn't know that Ron Moore was producing it), so hopefully this will help pick up new viewers.

adhonus

adhonus

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 9:40 PM

That was a great article - I'm amazed that the New York Times is devoting any attention to this show at all. Sort of makes up for how obsessed I seem to be, even though I've seen all of the first new series. I'm hoping Dr. Who can become the first blockbuster of the world media era.

Kid Dork

Kid Dork

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 1:16 PM

While this isn't journalistic media, there is a blatant Doctor Who shout-out in--of all places--a Star Trek novel.

I came across this in Vanguard: Harbringer. In it, a thief uses a 'sonic screwdriver he'd swiped from a rather daft chap back on Barolia'.

Ummm...isn't 'sonic screwdriver' copyrighted?

Mack the Spoon

Mack the Spoon

Stalker

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 3:17 PM

Did anyone else ever play that Daleks computer game? I think it's only for Macs, but you teleported around this grid with a certain number of Daleks on it, and they would try to reach you in the most direct way possible. If you could get two or more to collide, they would 'die' and turn into a scrap heap. Then if any other Daleks ran into the scrap heap, they would 'die' too. Once a level, you could also use your sonic screwdriver to kill any Daleks within an eight-square radius. It was mindless, but kind of fun.

areacode212

areacode212

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 3:29 PM

I first played Daleks on the Mac in the 80s (when my mom would drag me to her office), but I wouldn't be surprised if it's available on every platform. I have it for the Palm, and there's a Java version out on the web (it doesn't seem to work right in my Firefox for some reason). There might be a Flash version out there, and if not, maybe I'll make one.

edit: Here's the Wikipedia entry for the game.

Someone should start a Doctor Who Games topic, either here or in the DIY Daleks section. Someone on OG posted a link to a fun little game that his friend made.

Edited by areacode212, Mar 5, 2006 @ 3:31 PM.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2006 @ 9:13 AM

For DW in the Media, this site is incredibly good. They meticulously scan and post every newspaper or magazine reference going back to 1963...

http://www.cuttingsarchive.org.uk/

Naturally, they post things as soon as they can after it hits the UK press so beware of spoilers.

jeet

jeet

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 4:31 PM

There's an article on Doctor Who in this week's EW and, on the facing page, the article on Little Britain mentions Tom Baker

RavenaS

RavenaS

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 4:46 PM

There are articles in the current issues of:

TV Guide (a top 21 pick for the week, and write up on the Friday page)
Starlog (5 page color spread there, very cool intro for newbies on what to expect)
Entertainment Weekly

And this from the Desmoines Register... http://desmoinesregi...03100346&lead=1

Alisa

Alisa

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 5:24 PM

The Des Moines article is pretty good. It makes the show sound appealing while reassuring people that it's not ridiculously, hopelessly geeky.

If only "CSI" ham David Caruso could regenerate into a decent, more subtle actor.

Ha!

lastro

lastro

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 6:35 PM

MonstersAndCritics.Com rates the show as #5 out of top 10 reasons to watch TV in 2006.

http://smallscreen.m...o_watch_in_2006

Notes from the Wasteland: Top ten reasons to watch in 2006
By Nina Berry Mar 10, 2006, 13:43 GMT
5. Doctor Who
The Sci Fi Channel brings back to the US one of the most successful franchises in television history when it begins airing the new, reimagined Doctor Who series on March 17. Christopher Eccleston (Elizabeth, The Others, 28 Days Later) is the ninth actor to play the Doctor, the last remaining Timelord who uses a mysterious machine called the TARDIS to mess around with the past and future of the universe. Eccleston combines an impish sense of mischief with a ruthless dark side that always keeps you guessing as to how he’ll react. The first few episodes are enjoyable, but you can still feel the writers finding the voice of the series. But when an old enemy returns in episode five, a fascinatingly dark sensibility takes over, the plots gain new urgency, and things get personal for the Doctor. A must for science fiction fans.

PatrickH

PatrickH

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 12:09 AM

I was annoyed at the lastest (mar. 10) sci-fi advertisement. They speak of the Doctor having "limitless power" and shows sparkly bits floating off his hand from "The Empty Child". Despite this moment, I thought it was a good advert, but I'm worried that neophytes will get the wrong idea about the Doctor. He doesn't perform magic, or anything, he just has marvelous adventures...

Alisa

Alisa

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 10:38 PM

But when an old enemy returns in episode five, a fascinatingly dark sensibility takes over, the plots gain new urgency, and things get personal for the Doctor. A must for science fiction fans.

Doesn't she mean episode six? Surely someone who's that much of a fan could get her numbers right.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 11:03 PM

Maybe she's confusing weeks with episode numbers.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 5:10 AM

I think she's counting Sci-Fi's opening double bill as a single 'episode'. Or else, she's talking about stories (so counting Aliens of London and World War Three as one)

MC_Hamster

MC_Hamster

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 6:15 AM

Is the double-bill being screened as such, or are they combining them into a single episode?

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 1:13 PM

It's officially 2 episodes, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sci-Fi smushed Roses' end credits and teaser and EotW previouslies and opening credits to jam in more ads.

Also, for those interested, there's an interview with Sci-Fi's VP of Programming, Thomas Vitale on Sci-Fi Overdrive, a syndicated radio show. He's on the 2nd hour of 3/11, which can be downloaded from their archive. Talks about a lot of things, including Doctor Who.

[hey, the double post smusher worked]

Edited by cutecouple, Mar 13, 2006 @ 1:16 PM.

lastro

lastro

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 5:22 PM

A lengthy and positive editorial in Cinescape.
http://www.cinescape...ge&obj_id=50831

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
A glowing review in the San Antonio Press.
WARNING: The last paragraph reveals some series spoilers.
http://www.mysananto...e.16cf5b07.html

Jeanne Jakle: Modern 'Doctor Who' delivers dose of terrific TV
This 21st century version of "Doctor Who" is terrific, a sci-fi show that everyone, fan or not of the genre, can enjoy. It's fast-moving, meaty and funny, with three-dimensional characters who tug at your heart and tear ducts. It premieres with two back-to-back episodes from 8 to 10 p.m. Friday on the Sci Fi Channel.
Another plus: The special effects have been amped up 1,000 percent. But as mentioned before, it's the characters, coupled with the clever and beautiful writing by executive producer Russell T. Davies, that makes it an unqualified winner.

So grab the kids — "Who" is as family-friendly as "Harry Potter" — and take a two-hour TV trip Friday that should keep you anxiously returning for more.

Edited by lastro, Mar 13, 2006 @ 5:26 PM.

lastro

lastro

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 12:15 PM

Here are two glowing reviews.

Seattle Times
http://seattletimes....0002_kay17.html

"The superb "Doctor Who" achieves something difficult for American shows: It makes TV look easy by demonstrating that intelligence and escapism are not mortal enemies."

~~~~~~~~~
San Berdino Sun - 4 stars
http://www.sbsun.com/ontv/ci_3609624

Blowing up the planet in episode two? How do you top that? But here's betting you'll be dying to find out: You needn't know anything of past series to become quickly addicted to this series' seemingly endless quirky charms.

Joe Nooovak

Joe Nooovak

Posted Mar 18, 2006 @ 9:57 PM

How were the Sci-Fi Channel's ratings for the episodes last night?

jcin617

jcin617

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 10:19 AM

Matt Roush of TV Guide gave Doctor Who a good review:

Doctor Who
Fridays, 9 pm/ET, SCI FI
Why to watch: To get that Friday-night cult fix.
The lowdown: In earlier versions, I never clicked with this Brit import about the time-tripping, alien-fighting mystery doc (a chipper yet intense Christopher Eccleston). But this remake achieves an Avengers-like balance of cheeky wit amid the cheesiness. As Who's shopgirl sidekick, Billie Piper is a delight.
A keeper? Who'd say no?
My score: 7 (out of 10)

Roush Review

Edited by jcin617, Mar 20, 2006 @ 1:26 PM.

Sharpie66

Sharpie66

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 12:16 PM

Online movie reviewer James Berardinelli shares his thoughts on the new Doctor Who in the March 17th entry of his blog.

(If you're a BSG fan, look at his March 16th entry!)

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 1:20 AM

The LA Daily News has a particularly nice interactive introduction to Doctor Who in flash format. The link to it is in the middle of the right edge of the home page.

lastro

lastro

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 1:55 PM

The Capital Times (Madison, WI) media reviewer, previously underwhelmed by the Classic series production values,
is enjoying the new series (Media musings: 'Dr. Who' out of this world).

Alisa

Alisa

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 2:29 AM

I noticed that article earlier today - it's the featured article for the Entertainment section. The Cap Times guy seems to like it. (I am far too amused by the fact that his name is Rob Thomas).

I want to see the episode with the giant tortoises. Sounds fasntastic.

Demetrios

Demetrios

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 2:37 AM

I want to see the episode with the giant tortoises. Sounds fasntastic.

Heh. When someone posted that link on Outpost Gallifrey (the big Doctor Who fansite), we tried to pinpoint, without success, exactly which of the Doctor's various alien reptilian foes the author was referring to! :D

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 4:17 AM

Aha... *puff pipe* Colony in Space, Episode Two. Not exactly our finest hour. They're not tortoises but iguanas, but it's the only episode of the old series in which they pull the "close up of an actual Earth reptile of diminunitive stature to stand in for giant alien reptile" bit.

All together, Colony in Space is one of the worst three hours of television ever recorded and I'd rather watch an entire season of 7th Heaven while getting hit repeatedly in the nuts with a cricket bat then watch it again, so I can't say I blame the guy's reaction.

dalek

dalek

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:45 AM

This was the most suitable thread for this, so I apologize if it is OT. According to vcarious net sources, Dr Who is dominating the Hugo nominees for Best Dramtic Presentation - Short Form.

Nominated episodes are: Dalek, Father's Day and The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.
Rounding out the category are the BSG episode Pegasus and Jack Jack Attack from The Incredibles dvd.

If you are a member of LAConIV, this year's Worldcon, you can vote for the winner. Winners to be announced at the Hugo ceremony in Anaheim in August.

Tirtzah

Tirtzah

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 1:15 PM

Which means those episodes will probably split the vote and something other than DW will win, unless enough fans can agree to get behind one episode. (This happened a bunch of times with Babylon 5.)

A little OT on the other nominees: Have they taken movies out of the same catagory as TV now or is Jack Jack Attack really the best fans could come up with for scifi this past year? Also? Pegasus? Is that really the fan favorite? Not how I would have gone for BSG episodes. </OT>

dalek

dalek

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 4:37 PM

There is now a split between long and short form with 90 minutes as the dividing point. I think the split was voted on several years ago mainly in reaction to Buffy epsiodes always losing out to movies.

I'm not sure multiple episodes necessarily cancel each other out since votes are ranked (1-5) and weighted, and if most people's top 3 were the Who episodes, I think the odds favor the Doctor over BSG. Or I have completely misunderstood the math behind the voting system, which is a distinct possibility.