Captain Jack: So Many Species, So Little Time

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

511 replies to this topic

wisteria

wisteria

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 3:38 AM

On paper, he's the quintessential (male) Mary Sue -- charming, handsome, multi-talented, and with a hint of darkness. But damned if John Barrowman doesn't pull it off beautifully. Bonus points to the writers for playing Jack's bisexuality with such nonchalance, even treating it as another aspect of what makes him so much fun. We don't see that nearly often enough on television.

New viewers? The whole season is one huge treat, and Jack is the cherry on top -- which is exactly where he'd want to be.

Torchwood, Jack's spin-off, is set to air in September. Here's the BBC press release. I'm particularly thrilled by the description: "a dark, clever, wild, sexy, British crime/sci-fi paranoid thriller cop show with a sense of humour - the X Files meets This Life." Can't wait!

Edited by wisteria, May 4, 2006 @ 7:16 PM.

EllycatinOz

EllycatinOz

Fanatic

• Interests:House, The Doctor Who universe, Buffyverse, good fanfic

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 4:45 AM

OMG! I LOVED Jack Harkness. And I loved CE as the Doctor. I squeed with happy lust whenever those two were on screen together. If I had been Rose I would have just imploded!

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 8:15 AM

On paper, he's the quintessential (male) Mary Sue -- charming, handsome, multi-talented, and with a hint of darkness. But damned if John Barrowman doesn't pull it off beautifully.

You're absolutely right on both counts. I'm glad I wasn't really spoiled about Captain Jack playing such a large part in the show - he wasn't announced as part of the initial publicity here, appeared in two episodes but only then did we hear he was sticking around. It was an interesting way to get to know the character.

Putli Bai

Putli Bai

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 2:16 PM

I loves me some Captain Jack. I even had to amend my "No Frenching in the Tardis" rule for him.

Captain Jack can french anyone he damn well pleases.

RoisinDubh

RoisinDubh

Couch Potato

• Interests:Avatar: The Last Airbender, Doctor Who, Firefly, Heroes, House, Hustle, Lost, QI, Supernatural, This Is Wonderland, Veronica Mars, X-Files

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 11:17 PM

Bonus points to the writers for playing Jack's bisexuality with such nonchalance

That was one of the things I love the most about Captain Jack. He's just so easygoing about it. And it makes for some great lines, too.
Jack: Don't I get a kiss?
Rose: Aw, come here!
Jack: I meant from him!

And as for the spoiler that wisteria posted, I'd already heard about that (it was in a headline on the CBC website, which still annoys my inner spoiler-phobe), but I hadn't heard that description, and damn does it sound good.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2006 @ 10:22 AM

Bonus points to the writers for playing Jack's bisexuality with such nonchalance, even treating it as another aspect of what makes him so much fun. We don't see that nearly often enough on television.

I loved an interview I saw with writer Steven Moffatt where he answered a question about Jack's bisexuality with "Oh, no. That's a misunderstanding. He's NOT bisexual. (beat) He's OMNIsexual. He'll have anything."

melpomene

melpomene

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2006 @ 12:44 PM

Captain Jack can french anyone he damn well pleases

Ha. That is brilliant. Do you mind if I make an icon out of it?

marahsarie

marahsarie

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 8, 2006 @ 3:49 AM

On the subject of Jack kissing people...

How about the Jack/Doctor kiss in "The Parting of the Ways"? I think I may have 'squee'd more at that than at the Doctor/Rose kiss later on... No, maybe not, but it was pretty damn hot!

EllycatinOz

EllycatinOz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 8, 2006 @ 6:04 AM

I might get booted out if my only posts on this thread are recurring squees and variations! But marahsarie you are SO right.

squeeeee!!!!

Maybe Jack is there for all us die-hard shippers. He is a Marty-Stu(Mary Sue male) but he is there to represent ALL of us shippers in one gorgeous omni-sexual being. A Meta Marty-Stu!

Happy thought eh?

xtreme

xtreme

Stalker

Posted Mar 9, 2006 @ 10:17 AM

The best had to be when he was being worked on by the bitch droids, and pulls a gun from where ever, it's the fact that he is so blase about the fact that he is stark naked and under attack. You just end up laughing

marahsarie

marahsarie

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 8:33 AM

My favorite Jack moment from that episode was the exchange:

Doctor: You mind flirting outside?
Jack: I was just saying hello!
Doctor: For you, that's flirting.

and:

Jack: Nice to meet you, Davish Pravell.
Doctor: There's a time and a place.

Actually, that's not true. My favorite Jack moment is when he cops a feel on one of the Droids. Only Jack puts the moves on killer robots. While on live television.

Too bad almost everything about Jack is a spoiler...

furrylump

furrylump

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 11:00 PM

Favorite bits with Captain Jack Hotness:

[in Cardiff]
"...and so there were fifteen of us on the ship, all naked..."

Jack: So I'm naked, on live television?
Fashionbot: Correct.
Jack: Ladies, your ratings are about to go up.

And of course the bit where he pulls a gun from what I'm guessing was his between his butt cheeks.

Wonder if Rose had been aware of his Omnisexuality, she would still have been attracted to him in Empty Child/Doctor Dances?

randomling

randomling

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 8:57 AM

I feel like, considering her reaction when the Doctor explains about Jack and his "flexibility", Rose probably wouldn't have been attracted to him as much. But I could be wrong!

I love:

Jack: So you're not Time Agents?
Rose: Just a couple more freelancers.
Jack: I should have guessed, the way you two are blending in with the local colour. Flag Girl was bad enough, but U-Boat Captain?!

fadooski

fadooski

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 7:21 PM

Dreamy as hell! I love how he's gorgeous and sexy but he's not smug or superior. He's charming precisely because he's the kind of guy who can make anyone feel special. He's genuinely interested in other people and that's how he flirts. I'm definitely checking out Torchwood.

Pooki

Pooki

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 11:03 AM

He's charming precisely because he's the kind of guy who can make anyone feel special. He's genuinely interested in other people and that's how he flirts.

Whenever I've seen John Barrowman interviewed, that's how he comes across too. He always seems to reduce the interviewer to girlish giggles (and not always just the women either!). The man could have chemistry with an ironing board.

Captain Jack can french anyone he damn well pleases

Heh. It would be impossible to disagree!

andi pandi

andi pandi

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 6:16 PM

I heart cap'n jack. Only another cap'n I hold more dear.

I do hope the torchwood spinoff doesn't take away from any future appearances he may make on Who, or the quality thereof.

redwriter

redwriter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 5:28 AM

I think my favourite thing about the whole flexibility deal was the fact that the Dr and, after a minute or two of her going "Oh...oh....ok" mentally, Rose were completely at home with it, case in point in Boomtown

Rose hugs Mickey
Jack: How come I never get any of that?
Dr: Buy me a drink first
Jack: Such hard work
Dr: But worth it *smirk*

The exchange that spawned a thousand plot bunnies.

Gaymo

Gaymo

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 5:33 AM

I liked Cap'n Jack originally, but then The Barrowman worked his "showbiz charm" and I found myself irritated by the fact that he's more than a little camp. As is The Barrowman. Dancing on Ice, anyone?

It's not enough to put me off Torchwood, though, because at least Harriet Jones will be in that, right? ETA: Or not, as I just read in the Harriet Jones thread. Bugger.

Edited by Gaymo, Mar 16, 2006 @ 5:47 AM.

somnambulist

somnambulist

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 5:59 AM

Me too, andi pandi. Then again, I'm ridiculously excited for Torchwood, not that i'll be watching it on TV anytime soon. Damn you, Australian FTA channels!

Another favourite Captain Jack moment in Boom Town is the 'whatever' sign he flashes Mickey. Rowr. The way he does is just indescribably sexy. And sweet Lord does he look good when he runs.

And to stop me from sounding like a squealing schoolgirl, I think it was John Barrowman's performance of Jack in the two-parter that made him such a likable and sympathetic character from the very start. His wit, his charm and the chemistry between the actors was great, and I loved the revelation of his missing two years. I certainly hope we find out what happened to him!

Okay, back to squeeing. Who else wants to be in the same room with Jack and a Defabricator? *grin*

Eruvadhril

Eruvadhril

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 6:51 AM

I hated him at first, being an avid 'shipper. I was liable to start yelling 'STOP BLOWING HOLES IN MY SHIP' ('cause he's Captain Jack? And that was Captian Jack's line in Pirates? And it's a 'ship? ...No?) every time he came on screen. After the end of The Doctor Dances, though, he'd won me over, and I was very upset when I thought he was going to die, and very happy that he became a companion. (I'm trying to be careful, because I'm not sure how spoilery things are). The way he flirts with anything with a pulse makes me laugh.
Bring on Torchwood!

redwriter

redwriter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 7:29 AM

Pulse optional Eruvadhril. I think he'd hit on a traffic light if it blinked at him!

EllycatinOz

EllycatinOz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 5:13 AM

I'm just going to squee.

I was liable to start yelling 'STOP BLOWING HOLES IN MY SHIP'

That is brilliant line - may I use?

For once I am happy to be superspoiled - just to know Torchwood is in the pipeline. Unless it is like Joss Whedon and the bloody Watcher Series Spinoff series that never was. Grrr.

Tirtzah

Tirtzah

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 3:49 PM

Just thought I'd post this interview with John Barrowman that I found a link to from Outpost Gallifrey. It does have spoilers through the end of series one, but it's a great interview. He talks about Doctor Who and Torchwood a little, some other work he's done and geeks out about DW and barbies of all things. I love the man so much, he's hillarious. Best part for me was his mention of meeting David Tennant and the implication he'll be back for series 3. Much as I'm looking forward to Torchwood, I want to see him on DW as well. (I'm greedy.)

Alisa

Alisa

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2006 @ 8:24 PM

Thanks for posting that interview; it was quite enjoyable. John Barrowman is always delightful.

his mention of meeting David Tennant and the implication he'll be back for series 3.

That was my favourite part of the interview also.

I'm also insanely jealous that he has "a couple of Daleks" even if they are smaller versions.

somnambulist

somnambulist

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 7:31 AM

From the article:

They asked to do a 360 photograph of me and that's what they do when they're going to make a doll. They said, 'Can you do some Captain Jack poses?'" Barrowman gives a sexy laugh. "I said, 'Well, Captain Jack poses I don't think are appropriate for children!'"

Oh my. My mind just wandered to all sorts of places! Thanks for the link, Tirtzah, it was definitely an enjoyable read. And yeah, I'm very jealous that he has Dalek replicas too.

Jacob

Jacob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 2:03 AM

Torchwood the THING is a spoiler. Torchwood the SHOW is not. Captain Jack and John Barrowman are not spoilers, and it's been so well-covered by the media that I'm making a call here -- the bisexuality is not a spoiler, and the fact that he's returning for at least a few episodes in forthcoming seasons is not a spoiler.

Things that are spoilers: The kissin', anything he does in any episode not yet shown on SciFi, the secret of Torchwood, Harriet's connection to it, or anything like that. Actual plot. Casting and coming shows are not spoilers, ever.

I realize that this whole spoilering thing is a hazy maze of crazy, but I think keeping it simple and as black-barless as possible is best for everybody. Don't drive yourself crazy with it.

Edited by Jacob, Mar 20, 2006 @ 2:05 AM.

Eruvadhril

Eruvadhril

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 9:04 AM

redwriter, Good point- he probably would!
EllycatinOz, of course you may.
Tirtzah, Thanks for the interveiw link! I also love the implication he'll be back for series 3.

johntfs

johntfs

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 12:26 AM

I loved an interview I saw with writer Steven Moffatt where he answered a question about Jack's bisexuality with "Oh, no. That's a misunderstanding. He's NOT bisexual. (beat) He's OMNIsexual. He'll have anything."

I suppose the truest test of that will be if the Doctor or another character wanders by Jack's room and hears a lust-befuddled Dalek voice shrieking "Inseminate! Inseminate! Inseminate!"

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 1:37 AM

Inseminate!

Scary mental image. But oh so funny!

Scheherezade

Scheherezade

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 9:44 AM

Thanks for that. I nearly choked on a mouthful of tea and spat it all over my keyboard.