Ratings/Scheduling: Ladies, Your Viewing Figures Just Went…?

• Please log in to reply

1178 replies to this topic

Cassie1703

Cassie1703

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 9, 2012 @ 2:39 PM

Is anyone else getting irritated at the inability or refusal of the BBC/BBCA to announce an official start date for Season 7? What is the frelling hold-up?

Radagast

Radagast

Fanatic

Posted Aug 11, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

From the BBC? Force of habit. Scheduling is far more fluid on this sort of thing in the UK than we're accustomed to on this side of the pond.

derekevans

derekevans

Fanatic

Posted Aug 12, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

In the UK it's the norm (at least with the BBC) to not announce scheduling until a couple of weeks before, to try to stop rival channels from doing competitive scheduling - trying to blow a rival's ratings by putting something that would be a direct challenge to them in the same timeslot. I guess BBCA can't announce until the BBC does.

Edited by derekevans, Aug 12, 2012 @ 12:49 PM.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2012 @ 5:01 PM

Tweets from people at the BFI screening are claiming they've been given a September 1st premiere date.

Also, the complete list of 7a titles is out via DWM's tweets from the same event:

7-1: "Asylum of the Daleks"
7-2: "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship"
7-3: "A Town Called Mercy"
7-4: "The Power of Three"
7-5: "Angels Take Manhattan"

Cassie1703

Cassie1703

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 16, 2012 @ 7:23 PM

Scheduling is far more fluid on this sort of thing in the UK than we're accustomed to on this side of the pond

In the UK it's the norm (at least with the BBC) to not announce scheduling until a couple of weeks before

Many thanks. This will help lots with the waiting.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Aug 17, 2012 @ 11:31 AM

Just to add to that sense of fluidity, the editor of the official Doctor Who Magazine has tweeted that, yes, the plan is to broadcast 7-1 on September 1st but that that's still subject to change and shouldn't be considered confirmed. So 14-15 days out and even the BBC themselves are only sorta sure when it'll go out.

call me ishmael

call me ishmael

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 11:40 AM

BBCA has a commercial up that says the US version will start September 8. Images can be seen here.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Aug 21, 2012 @ 2:09 PM

I don't know if it means anything but Space, the station that airs Doctor Who in Canada had TBA for sept 1st at 9.

I don't think they are allowed to premier a week before the US, but if I remember correctly they were an hour ahead of BBCA last year so who knows. Also they could just be keeping that time slot open just in case as opposed to waiting until they can announce it.

Radagast

Radagast

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

Sept 1 is indeed the date, for the UK, US and Canada at least.

Mormegil

Mormegil

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 22, 2012 @ 11:25 AM

BBCA has a commercial up that says the US version will start September 8. Images can be seen here

They've changed their minds then as they have now announced it airs on the 1st.

soupcat

soupcat

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 4:40 PM

"Asylum" got great ratings by BBC America's usual standards, with 1.55 million total viewers and an 0.6 in adults 18-49 according to a long-time commenter at TV by the Numbers who often supplies hard-to-find cable ratings.

It was the #1 cable show in its timeslot, too. The BBC America press release says it's the channel's highest-rated telecast ever "in live plus same day," so apparently a lot of people were using their DVRs and catching up later that same night.

For comparative purposes, the most recent episode of Copper on BBC America got about 900,000 total viewers and a 0.3 rating in adults 18-49. (The press release engages in some "Live + 7 Day" chicanery to make Copper's series premiere look bigger than it was.)

It also got 620,000 viewers on Space in Canada, beating all other Canadian channels in that slot.

So the only slightly disappointing number might be the 6.4 million on BBC1 in the UK itself, but that's an overnight rating and subject to upward revisions and DVR adjustments, I guess. Presumably a lot of people will watch on the BBC's iPlayer too.

Ocipital

Ocipital

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 13, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

So the only slightly disappointing number might be the 6.4 million on BBC1 in the UK itself, but that's an overnight rating and subject to upward revisions and DVR adjustments, I guess. Presumably a lot of people will watch on the BBC's iPlayer too.

The Barb figures are now out for the premier (British Nielsens) Doctor Who got 8.33 million viewers, the 5th highest rated program of the week. New Tricks was top with 8.52 million for comparision purposes.

sjb2371

sjb2371

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 18, 2012 @ 8:08 AM

The British TV ratings so far this series/season...

Doctor Who. Series 7.

1. Asylum of the Daleks: Overnight 6.38m (29.3%) Final 8.33m (34.4%)

2. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship: Overnight 5.52m (26.2%) Final 7.57m (31.9%)

3. A Town Called Mercy: Overnight 6.6m (29.1%)

Series Average: 7.95m (Currently the second best rating series of 'Nu-Who' The best series is Series 4... 8.05m)

Dinosaurs On a Spaceship time shifted 2.09m!

If a 'Town Called Mercy' gets into the top ten, it will be the first time since the show came back in 2005 that the first 3 episodes have made it into the top 10 shows of the week.

US ratings...

Doctor Who : (Dinosaurs on a Spaceship) 1.149 million Saturday at 9pm ET - not demos

Comparison: Ep. 6-2 — 1.001 million (UP 148k y/o/y)

So:
Series 7:

7-1 (Asylum of the Daleks) : 1.555 million viewers, 0.60 A18-49

7-2 (Dinosaurs on a Spaceship) : 1.149 million viewers, n/a

7-3 (A Town Called Mercy) : 0.958 million viewers, 0.39 A18-49

Edited by sjb2371, Sep 18, 2012 @ 10:56 AM.

morrigan2575

morrigan2575

Fanatic

Posted Sep 29, 2012 @ 6:40 PM

Tonight is the mid-season finale and then it comes back when? Is there going to be a few episodes later in the fall leading up to the Christmas Special?

ETA: Look like this is it until the Christmas Special. I wonder why they keep calling it the mid-season finale? I thought it would be like Season 6 where we had 7 episodes, a break and then the final 6 episodes + Christmas Special.

I guess this is a shorter season or they're splitting the season over 2 years? Apologies if this has already been discussed.

Edited by morrigan2575, Sep 29, 2012 @ 9:29 PM.

clemmari

clemmari

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 30, 2012 @ 7:45 AM

It is mid-season, morrigan. It's moved back to its old Autumn slot but had to make way for Merlin, which begins this week, I think, and something else. So the rest of the season begins after the Christmas Special, and with a new companion then.

soupcat

soupcat

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 12:28 PM

Good news for Doctor Who in the U.S.: "The Snowmen" got great ratings by BBC America's standards, with an 0.6 in adults 18-49 and 1,434,000 total viewers. BBC America rarely achieves such heights in the cable world.

I understand it only got something like 7.6 million in the UK, right? Isn't that pretty low compared to past Xmas specials in the UK?

Mormegil

Mormegil

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 2:20 PM

I understand it only got something like 7.6 million in the UK, right? Isn't that pretty low compared to past Xmas specials in the UK?

The Overnight results were 7.59M but the final results were 9.87M.

Not the lowest Rated Christmas Special but certainly lower than many of them.

A lot of people are viewing it via IPlayer though (Most watched Programme over the Christmas week) which may account for some of the loss.

seamus

seamus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 7:22 PM

When is the next episode due to air? I don't see it on the bbc america schedule.

Ocipital

Ocipital

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 10:39 PM

Not the lowest Rated Christmas Special but certainly lower than many of them.

A lot of people are viewing it via IPlayer though (Most watched Programme over the Christmas week) which may account for some of the loss.

The primary cause is that DW had an earlier time slot in the lower rated christmas specials. The ones that got 13 million aired in prime time. Whilst a couple of hours differences isnt going to deter the regular viewers, many families were still eating Christmas dinner at 5:15 on Christmas day, later on in the day a lot of people sit down to watch telly giving any show a boost that airs in prime time.

Mormegil

Mormegil

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 7:44 AM

When is the next episode due to air? I don't see it on the bbc america schedule.

Series 7B starts up sometime in April.

seamus

seamus

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 4, 2013 @ 12:41 PM

Thanks.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2013 @ 11:12 AM

Series 7B starts up sometime in April.

In the meantime BBC America is airing another series of their specials for the 50th Anniversary called Doctor Who: The Doctors Revisited. Eleven specials altogether with all the original Who doctors. I hope they show the episodes and they're not all the talking head stuff they've done in the past.

Mormegil

Mormegil

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:48 AM

The Doctors Revisited : The First Doctor is a showing of "The Aztecs" though there will no doubt be some documentary aspect to it as well.

And Series 7b is confirmed for the 30th March.

Edited by Mormegil, Jan 23, 2013 @ 10:49 AM.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Jan 24, 2013 @ 2:20 PM

The Doctors Revisited : The First Doctor is a showing of "The Aztecs" though there will no doubt be some documentary aspect to it as well.

Ugh. I just watched that one again on Netflix. Don't know if I've ever seen such hypocritical nonsense in my life. It's really, really dated in its level of bigotry.

I really hope they don't just stick with what we can already stream over Netflix. That essentially means you can kiss anything with Daleks or Cybermen good-bye. None of those are on Netflix.

soupcat

soupcat

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 2:42 PM

I'm pretty surprised to see that BBC America is running "The Aztecs" in prime time. That's bizarre. I expected them to bury the classic episodes at midnight or 1 a.m., particularly the black-and-white ones. What kind of ratings is this really going to get? I'm not a fan of William Hartnell's Doctor but I actually like "The Aztecs." In terms of acting, plotting, and dialogue, this is probably one of the best Hartnell serials that exists, but even so, the average audience member is probably going to find it slow or get outraged that white people are playing Aztecs and turn it off, or be ticked off that the first Doctor is such a regressive pain in the ass (the character wasn't done "cooking" yet). Anyway, for an interesting essay on this serial, check the Eruditorum.

In terms of quality, I hope they go with the brain-melting craziness of "The Mind Robber" for the second Doctor, but "Tomb of the Cybermen" has Cybermen so I bet they will go with that. Unfortunately it is also much more noticeably (to me) bigoted.

BDArizona

BDArizona

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2013 @ 6:45 PM

get outraged that white people are playing Aztecs

Since we're moving towards a discussion of content, I replied in the thread for The Aztecs.

Edited by BDArizona, Jan 25, 2013 @ 6:51 PM.

Arynm

Arynm

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2013 @ 7:28 PM

Any ideas if they are going to replay the 7a season before the March 30 7b season? I have recently started watching the new seasons and can't get the seventh season on amazon prime.

DanRon

DanRon

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 25, 2013 @ 6:16 AM

can anyone tell me where i can buy posters of doctor who?
thanks

Megras

Megras

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 7, 2013 @ 4:19 PM

BBC Shop online.
Forbidden Planet

Both UK based and I don't know where they ship to , but its a start.

Edited by Megras, Mar 7, 2013 @ 4:20 PM.

Marq DeCarabas

Marq DeCarabas

Fanatic

Posted Jul 26, 2013 @ 5:40 PM

50th anniversary special to air Worldwide at the same time

That's one way to cut down on torrents i suppose.  Still a little worried about the 3d nature of it I really don't want to get stuck not having glasses and waiting for a non 3D version