Ratings/Scheduling: Ladies, Your Viewing Figures Just Went…?

• Please log in to reply

1178 replies to this topic

gallimaufry

gallimaufry

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 10:18 AM

Seems to be lower than Sci-Fi's American shows such as SG-1 and BSG but higher than their reruns. I guess it just depends how much they're paying for the show as to whether they'd see it as a good deal or not.

wisteria

wisteria

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 8:28 PM

Rumor is that SciFi hopes to pair series 2 with BSG when the latter returns in October, so they might be happy if the ratings are basically similar.

gallimaufry

gallimaufry

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 9:00 PM

Wow. Talk about chalk and cheese.

8PM. "Doctor Who" -- Keep living! Life is great!
9PM. "Battlestar Galactica" -- Second thoughts? Don't bother. Life is hell!

I guess Sci-Fi is reaching out to the manic depressive demographic.

Don't get me wrong, it would be cool to see it paired up with a big hitter like BSG. But, you know... whiplash!

Jacob

Jacob

Network Executive

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 12:01 AM

Rumor is that SciFi hopes to pair series 2 with BSG when the latter returns in October, so they might be happy if the ratings are basically similar.

Rumor is that SciFi hopes to kill my ass dead? Is that what you just said to me?

Actually, that would be really awesome. What a fun night.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 3:07 AM

Originally the rumor was that series 2 would be a summer release, but Sci-Fi has another series, Eureka, that should be ready to go when Stargates come back. It looks like a quirky fun show, nothing like BSG.

Edited by cutecouple, Mar 26, 2006 @ 3:07 AM.

meloni

meloni

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 3:50 AM

Rumor is that SciFi hopes to kill my ass dead? Is that what you just said to me?

And American Idol is going to be on five nights a week.

La Guardianista

La Guardianista

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 12:35 PM

It's confirmed in Doctor Who Magazine that series 2 will start in the UK on April 15th and there'll be a press launch tomorrow.

Edited by La Guardianista, Mar 27, 2006 @ 12:37 PM.

trudyj

trudyj

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 5:12 PM

Anyone heard anything about when the CBC will be carrying series 2 in Canada?

ditzyspikegal

ditzyspikegal

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 11:16 PM

It looks like a quirky fun show, nothing like BSG.

Hey, BSG is fun and quirky! Well, once in a blue moon when Ellen Tigh shows up.

But I digress....hey, when is Series 3 starting in the UK?

Edited by ditzyspikegal, Mar 27, 2006 @ 11:15 PM.

Alisa

Alisa

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 12:27 AM

It's confirmed in Doctor Who Magazine that series 2 will start in the UK on April 15th and there'll be a press launch tomorrow.

Awesome. I've been seeing this date all over the place so it's nice to have it officially confirmed.

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 6:18 AM

But I digress....hey, when is Series 3 starting in the UK?

Well, there's be the 2006 Christmas Special on December 25th - that's going to be filmed as part of Series 3. But the main block of Series 3 will almost certainly start on April 7th 2007. I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK and Ireland Easter Weekend is a big Sweeps type period and the BBC seem to have decided to use Doctor Who to make their mark on it. Both S1 and S2 started, or will start, on Easter Saturday so it's a safe bet they'll do the same next year.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 6:21 AM

The timing of sweeps is a little different (Feb and May instead of March/April), but it sound exactly like something that broadcasters do in the US.

soupcat

soupcat

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 12:30 PM

From Outpost Gallifrey:

Doctor Who on Sci Fi delivered a 1.27 rating with an audience of 1.55 million viewers for "The Unquiet Dead".

Compared to last week's episodes, the latest episode was up 13% with men ages 18-49 and up 12% with total viewers 18-49, but is down 20% on its household rating (the actual ratings number reported).

Well, the demographic increase is good, but the decrease in overall household rating and total viewers is not good (although it was to be expected). However, if the loss was entirely among people above the age of 54 then the advertisers won't care one jot. (I don't agree with that at all, but that's the way it is. Ugh.) Hopefully the demos will continue to increase in future weeks.

Without being able to see what the actual number among men 18-49 and viewers 18-49 is, and how it compares to the Stargates and BSG, and the usual demo numbers for those programs, a comparison is difficult, since those are the key demos (along with men 25-54 and men 18-34).

As for households, the Stargates in recent weeks were getting a 1.5-1.9 rating for new eps (roughly 1.8-2.5 million viewers?), and BSG was getting a 1.6-1.9 rating (roughly 2.0-2.6 million?). However at this time DW is just displacing reruns of the Stargates which would get something like 0.9-1.2 ratings points -- but they also wouldn't cost much, if anything. And "The Unquiet Dead" almost certainly got one of their highest household ratings for the week, perhaps the highest.

(Sigh.) If only Sci-Fi had bothered with a real advertising campaign... I hate seeing ads for "My Gym Partner's a Monkey" (which airs at the same time on another cable channel) everywhere here in NYC and nothing for DW.

I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK and Ireland Easter Weekend is a big Sweeps type period and the BBC seem to have decided to use Doctor Who to make their mark on it.

Yes but the UK does not have any actual sweeps, if I understand correctly. Sweeps in the U.S. is the time when ad rates are set. The BBC doesn't even have commercial breaks. In the UK there's just an informal network interest in airing special programming on holidays since for some reason lots of UKers are watching TV then (unlike the U.S.). However, overall viewership is down in the spring and summer with longer daylight hours, more people spending time outside, etc., so this has led to speculation that season three might be delayed until fall 2007 when more people are up for grabs, and also because season three will supposedly switch from film-ized video recording to recording the episodes in HD video and this would allow more time for switching over to that format. This is all just speculation though. Nothing official.

ETA: clarification of ratings points vs. millions of viewers.

Edited by soupcat, Mar 28, 2006 @ 12:36 PM.

EolivetB

EolivetB

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 2:28 PM

Wow...I don't know the Nielsen source where OG gets its data, but that's not what I have at all. I have "The Unquiet Dead" posting a 0.97 HH rating, with a 1.62 share. And that's only at 9PM, because apparently, Sci-Fi is airing two eps, back to back? A rerun at 8PM, maybe? It's just titled "Doctor Who" for 120 minutes, so that's what I'd assume.

Compared to last week's two-hour premiere, I have a 22% decline in HHs, and only an 8% increase in Adults 18-49, though a 52% increase among Adults 18-34 (so maybe they really were all out partying for St. Patrick's Day ;) The declines aren't that bad, considering most network shows traditionally lose 20% of their audience in the second week anyway. I also have DW posting higher ratings than Stargate at 11PM across HHs and adult demos.

Sounds like you'd probably rather go with OG's numbers...though I'm curious as to how Nielsen data is pulling such different results...

Scot Ferre

Scot Ferre

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 3:48 PM

From Shaun Lyon at Outpost Gallifrey, at his request while his account is being validated here:

"In reply to the TWoP poster (hello!) who wonders where Outpost Gallifrey got its information from, I wanted to note that my information comes directly from a contact at the Sci Fi Channel. According to the data I received, "Doctor Who (9P-10P) on Sci-Fi delivered a 1.27 HH/ 1.14 M18-49/ .86 P18-49 rating with an audience of 1.55 million viewers. Compared to last week's episodes, the latest episode was up +13% with M18-49 & +12% with P18-49, but down -20% with HH & -13% with P2+. On Sci-Fi, it is currently averaging a 1.49 HH/ 1.06 M18-49/ .80 P18-49 rating with an audience of 1.70 million viewers, a 64% male skew and a median age of 47." I don't know why the ratings data EolivetB received differs from mine but I would definitely be interested in finding out... Shaun Lyon, editor, Outpost Gallifrey www.gallifreyone.com"

michaellorg

michaellorg

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 3:57 PM

It wouldn't surprise me to discover that it's the difference between the second hour by itself, and the whole 120 minutes together.

EolivetB

EolivetB

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 4:07 PM

In reply to the TWoP poster (hello!)

Aww, hello! :)

Ah, so the source works at the network. I'm getting my information from Nielsen overnight ratings. To get the 9PM-10PM data, I pulled a time period average for Sci-Fi during the hour. I wonder if the network ratings are cume ratings -- i.e., adding up all of the viewers who watched DW during the hour vs. an average rating (which is what Nielsen provides). Given the network source, it's likely they'd try and spin the numbers to look as attractive as possible. Neither is wrong, per se -- it's just two different ways of looking at the info. :)

And since OG's source makes the ratings sound much better, it's probably best to go with them. My apologies if I offended anyone at OG.

BenjaminElliott

BenjaminElliott

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 4:50 PM

Please read the thread before posting.

Edited by Jacob, Mar 28, 2006 @ 5:33 PM.

Scot Ferre

Scot Ferre

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 4:53 PM

Please don't talk about the boards on the boards.

Edited by Jacob, Mar 28, 2006 @ 5:33 PM.

MC_Hamster

MC_Hamster

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 2:53 AM

Doctor Who (9P-10P) on Sci-Fi delivered a 1.27 HH/ 1.14 M18-49/ .86 P18-49 rating with an audience of 1.55 million viewers. Compared to last week's episodes, the latest episode was up +13% with M18-49 & +12% with P18-49, but down -20% with HH & -13% with P2+.

What are HH, M18-49, P18-49 etc?

Nuallain

Nuallain

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 2:56 AM

Yes but the UK does not have any actual sweeps, if I understand correctly. Sweeps in the U.S. is the time when ad rates are set. The BBC doesn't even have commercial breaks. In the UK there's just an informal network interest in airing special programming on holidays since for some reason lots of UKers are watching TV then (unlike the U.S.).

Yes, that's right, the UK doesn't have sweeps in that form. There are periods during the year, however, when it's just plain embarrassing to get creamed and a significant victory over 'the other side' will get lots of good press (often front page) in the national papers. Easter weekend and Christmas Day are the two biggest of these battlegrounds and DW is front and centre for the BBC in both.

However, overall viewership is down in the spring and summer with longer daylight hours, more people spending time outside, etc., so this has led to speculation that season three might be delayed until fall 2007 when more people are up for grabs, and also because season three will supposedly switch from film-ized video recording to recording the episodes in HD video and this would allow more time for switching over to that format. This is all just speculation though. Nothing officia

The HD angle actually makes it seem more plausible to me, though the summer-daylight-hours argument was used by people convinced that Series *Two* would be on in September 2006 and it wasn't right then. Remember that, for the BBC, advertising revenue isn't an issue so they don't lose money through less people tuning in. They do however lose prestige if they have low audience share and audience appreciation (UK ratings systems ask the question "Yeah, you watched it - but, out of 100, how much did you actually like it?). Plus, of course, to be able to say "we got 8m viewers even in the Summer" probably puts a skip in their walk as much as 10m in the winter would.

Or to sum it all up - whatever they put on in the Summer is going to get lower ratings than it would have done in the Winter, but *something* has to be that show and DW has shown it can deliver large audiences even in that slot.

philipA

philipA

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 4:08 AM

If Doctor Who was made in HD, where would it be shown in America? Is SciFi about to go HD?
I know theres a Universal HD channel. Could that be an option? I'm not quite clear if it would make that much difference to it's appeal there.

shaunlyon

shaunlyon

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 5:31 PM

And since OG's source makes the ratings sound much better, it's probably best to go with them. My apologies if I offended anyone at OG.

Hi EolivetB... Just wanted to address this directly since Scot was kind enough to pass along my reply (I joined TWP immediately but it took 24 hours)...

No offense taken at *all*, in fact far from it; I'm as anxious as you are to get to the bottom of this. The only thing I really can think of is that the Nielsens report covers the full two hours, including the repeat of "The End of the World", while the one I got from Sci Fi (or, rather, NBC Universal, the parent company) reflectly the 9pm hour alone. I would expect the ratings for the 9pm hour to be higher. I'm getting these results sent to me each week now so I'll keep you posted. :)

LoneHaranguer

LoneHaranguer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 6:37 PM

If Doctor Who was made in HD, where would it be shown in America? Is SciFi about to go HD?

SciFi could convert the signal. Converters are supposed to become available for anyone who wants one, so I wouldn't think it would be that expensive. Cable companies already have them and many plan to continue providing old-style signals to those who want that after broadcasters are no longer allowed.

Bruce Stewart

Bruce Stewart

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 29, 2006 @ 8:48 PM

Probably quite a few of the programmes you are watching now were recorded in HD, such as the new Battlestar Galactica. It would be up to the network to broadcast a standard NTSC 60Hz (US) or PAL-I 50Hz (UK) so standard TV receivers could pick it up.

Jacob

Jacob

Network Executive

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 12:43 AM

For what it's worth, in my area there are several stations in the digital tier that broadcast certain HD programs seemingly without regard to station of origin. I've noticed BSG on more than one occasion. It might be worth checking out if you're not in the mood to wait for the DVD's.

EolivetB

EolivetB

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 6:58 PM

The only thing I really can think of is that the Nielsens report covers the full two hours

Hi, shaunlyon! :) That is true, but I actually pulled the 9PM-10PM time period average, so that should've accounted for the discrepancy in original vs. repeat airings (Nielsen had the two-hour "Doctor Who" at a 0.8 HH rating, so clearly the repeat dragged down the numbers). At this point, my best guess is average vs. cume rating. So, NBC-Universal could be adding up every single person who watched DW from 9PM-10PM, whereas Nielsen could be simply taking an average of the number of people watching (and both could be converting it to ratings).

I'll see if I can pull a cume rating next time to see if it matches...with any luck, we'll have this figured out by episode 13. ;)

soupcat

soupcat

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2006 @ 9:44 PM

(Nielsen had the two-hour "Doctor Who" at a 0.8 HH rating, so clearly the repeat dragged down the numbers).

Oh my gods, I hope not. That's really disappointing. Stargate reruns would do just as well. Sci-Fi's terrible original movies get better numbers. "John Doe" reruns get better numbers.

The specific demographic numbers must be good or they probably wouldn't be adding all these additional reruns at various times throughout the week. Or maybe they're trying to give the show more exposure so that future Friday airings will get more viewers. Eh. This is Sci-Fi, murderers of Farscape, so if they were really disappointed, the show would have been buried solely at 1 a.m. airings by now.

What are HH, M18-49, P18-49 etc?

HH are households. I believe that counts TV sets instead of the actual number of viewers. A 1.0/3 on Sci-Fi is 1% of all TV sets that can receive Sci-Fi, and the 3 is the share, meaning 3% of TVs in use at the time were tuned into this program.

M18-49 is the men ages 18-49 demographic. P18-49 is all persons 18-49. P2+ is all persons ages two and up. Advertisers care more about 18-49 than HH or P2+.

YourMomOnToast

YourMomOnToast

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 11:57 AM

Hmm...I know Sci-Fi generally (generally, I know) goes after the male 18-49 demographic, but is there actual information about ratings for women? Just out of curiousity, because sometimes, I feel like the only chick who's watching DW!

PollyQ

PollyQ

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 12:14 PM

Don't worry, you're not ;-)