Dame Rose Tyler, of the Powell Estates

• Please log in to reply

415 replies to this topic

EllycatinOz

EllycatinOz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2006 @ 6:49 PM

Rose gets in trouble every episode...she has opinions and takes action on them. However I do think she can be a huge idiot sometimes

Yes I like that she is both. Makes her more "beleivable" and easier to identify with. It is hard as a woman (or as a girl as I was then) to identify with the helpless, scream-y, fall over and hurt ankle kind of companion. I think new audiences have a better companion with Rose.

I agree with Promethea. Rose rocked in that last epi and had *gasp* evolved!!!!!

Fadooski asks re Rose's youth.

Ok. I think she is young (I thought she was 19 but there you go) to encourage new young viewers who didnt grow up watching the old doctor so that is why she was cast.

As to the subtext thing which is often complained of by oldfans, I think it's a good thing. Yes I'm a sook and romantic but they do emphasise his loneliness and for me it is nice he finds someone. He is the last TimeLord after all - he can't hang with his own species. He loves humanity for the most part - so what other species is there?!!!

Jacob

Jacob

Network Executive

Posted Mar 7, 2006 @ 9:52 PM

1) "Who's the Best Companion" can have its own thread. This one's about Rose.

2) Please check out the Site FAQ on what constitutes a spoiler. Even though it's a bit special thanks to the circumstance, speculation is still not considered spoilage. Thanks.

Hieronymo

Hieronymo

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 3:50 PM

Oh gosh, I hate Rose so much. I find it very hard to deal with, because I like all the other bits, but, oh, how much I hate her. I think my dislike boils down to her being offensively moronic. That bit where she suddenly realises that since they're in the future, and the earth is dying, that means that her mum is dead? Seriously? What is the Doctor doing with someone that stupid? Or when she can't go back to her old life because she wants to be someone who does "the right thing"? Does it not even occur to her that she could, I don't know, go and do voluntary work in the third world, or set up a homeless shelter, or one of the other millions of proactive things that other people do when they feel like they want to make something of their lives?? It doesn't even seem to occur to her that there are options other than A) Provide vague assistance to the Doctor in his glamourous travels or B) Hang around with her equally moronic friends and relatives for ever and ever. I need more examples - I don't have DVDs or transcripts - but she spends most of her time acting seriously dense. She hasn't learnt anything from her 'adventures'; she's just as unimaginative and self-centred as she was when she started. The only time she's not being passive is when she's actually being aggressively stupid.

Phew. I have now become the nutty ranter. But it needed to be said.

Oh, and fadooski - sorry to contaminate you with my blind, near-psychotic fury, but I agree with much of what you said. Especially this:

My thing with Rose is that I cannot imagine her having any adventures of her own. What exactly is she going to do once she stops travelling with the Doctor? I can't imagine her going back to school to get a career, nor can I imagine her living her life on an alien world. Really, she's just going to move back in with her mom find a customer service job and try to reel in Mickey again She's dependent on the Doctor in a way that clashes with the heroic way that we're supposed to see her.

fadooski

fadooski

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 6:05 PM

I found it really interesting when Rose encounters Lynda in the Parting of the Ways. She was obviously jealous and visibly threatened. Here's the Doctor, her Doctor and he's holding hands with this chick who's prettier, more likeable and most importantly, smarter than Rose I wonder how she'd manage if the Doctor took on another female companion.

Gaymo

Gaymo

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 5:55 AM

Believe me, I've seen much better young British actresses (so, it's not like they haven't got the talent or anything). Perhaps it also doesn't help that I think that Billie Piper is not exactly attractive in my eyes (though I do know that in Britain her type is considered to be very attractive).

I have no clue what you're talking about. Blondes? Women? People with blue eyes? People with two eyes? What a massive generalisation about British people. If I could understand what you were saying I'm sure I'd be quite offended...

I like Rose, mainly because she's very rooted in the modern human experience, with the emotional baggage that comes with it. When I first heard the choice of companion I didn't expect much, having lived through Billie Piper's pop career (if you can call it that) and her marriage to Sir Chris of Evans. But I was pleased with her performance. I'm continually pleased with it. I mean, they could do a lot worse. See, for me, Doctor Who isn't so much about tip-top acting and fine performances; it's more about the story, the experience, the tacky camp nature of the show that was so prevalent when I first started watching it.

There were a lot of episodes that seemed very serious to me; that tended to err on the side of darkness rather than tacky or camp. I like this direction, mainly because it gives Rose more to do. And she plays such an integral part to The Doctor's experience that ultimately gives him a new way to see humans.

Skyrocket

Skyrocket

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 8:55 AM

I like Rose quite a bit. She's got a way to go before she beats out old faves like Liz, Romana, Tegan and Nyssa, but she's pretty cool.

I'd say she's already more popular with fans than poor ol' Adric ever was. :(

(actually liked Adric)

Warden

Warden

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2006 @ 2:38 PM

Upon my first viewing of "Rose/TEotW", I would have to say that I like Rose. Granted she has a ways to go to making the role of companion her own (own characterization anyway) but I liked the way she swooped down and help the Doctor in the first episode and her emotional display in the second episode (the two scenes in particular with the first being her conversation with Cassandra and at the second at the end with the Doctor). Two different emotional sides but on a balanced plane.

Also, she struck me as a fairly attractive lady. Young or old, she would qualify as eye candy.

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Mar 18, 2006 @ 10:15 PM

I'm still astounded at how hot she really is. I don't even know why she's so damn attractive; perhaps it's the fact that she actually has a figure and doesn't look like a concentration camp victim, perhaps it's the perfect nose and cute smile. She's just strikingly gorgeous.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 1:57 AM

I've only just seen the first two eps of the 9th doctor and I don't know how Rose will develop but I like her so far. She's neither a damsel in distress nor a super hero but that is OK. My fav companion was Leela because she was Tom Baker's Doctor's complete opossite, a violent savage, yet very loyal and helpful. So far Rose is helpful but is nowhere near as tough as Leela. That makes sense, she wasn't born into a warrior society. I thought anybody would be upset at watching the end of thier home world, even if they knew it was billions of years in the future. It would be very sad. I don' know how I'd feel if on top of that the "last human" was a vain murderous greedy bitch. Not how I'd like my species to go out. As for somebody'd complain upthread that they couldn't see what Rose will do with herself once she no longer travels with the doctor (that is not a spoiler as I don't know when this will happen only that all companion's travels do end eventually) well I think it is a little unfair to judge her since she's very young. She has time to mature (assuming she doesn't get killed like Adric) and find a calling or a purpose (like Nissa). Remember that most of the other companions were older so most went back to the lives they had before as flight attendants or reporters. The younger ones tended to do some growing up and I have no reason to believe that won't be the case with Rose.

ETA Just a guess but maybe what the poster meant about Brit "types" might be referring to American culture being obssessed with being SUPER thin....in fact I thought the whole Cassandra thing was meant to be a dig at AMERICAN standards of beauty remember Cassandra's dad was a Texan...(and her mom was from antartica).Neither parent was British. Maybe the poster thinks British guys like women to have a little meat on the bone as it were. I don't know it that is true or not, but I can tell you that in Latino cultures there is such a thing as too thin and some American women thought of as beautiful are not as popular in some Latino cultures. My mom thinks Sarah Michelle Geller looks like a boy.

Edited by MDKNIGHT, Mar 19, 2006 @ 2:05 AM.

Jacob

Jacob

Network Executive

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 1:59 AM

I think that will serve nicely as the last word on the "type" stuff.

swannlore

swannlore

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 6:33 PM

What I like about Rose is that she is an original character, and not just a recycled character. I find Billie Piper to be a fine addition to the Dr. Who mythos. Not to mention she is super cute. Yes, I'm twelve.

Yannick

Yannick

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 10:34 PM

I like Rose a lot. I think they have created a very believable and likeable character with her.

A Real Scotty

A Real Scotty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 9:07 PM

I have been pleasantly surprised by Rose - and Billie Piper. When I heard she had the role, I was very nervous. I hadn't heard of her, but UK friends of mine had told me she was some kind of pop starlet, famous for marrying a radio personality. I groaned.

But - I thought she did a very good job in Season 1. I really felt for her in a number of episodes, and am glad she'll be around for Season 2, at least.

I grew up in the UK, and Sarah Jane is da bomb! She is the true Doctor Who companion, IMO. I thought Neela was pretty good, too. I have a little fondness for Jo Manning, since she is the earliest one I really remember.

ditz99

ditz99

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 10:08 PM

I thought she had a bit of Ace in her, actually.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 1:28 AM

A Real Scotty without seeming like I'm snarking on you, I think you've got a couple of the names wrong. Leela and Jo Grant are the correct names.

Knots Landing

Knots Landing

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 1:56 PM

So far, I really don't think she's that pretty. She has a general good look, but those clothes made her look fat and did her figure no favors. But I will say that when she was a pop singer she was VERY VERY hot! I liked a couple of her songs, this is why I decided to watch this show. Hopefully her hotness will improve, but right now I'm not seeing it, on this show at least.

Hotness aside, I am loving Rose! I know absolutely nothing about Doctor Who so she might not be as good as previous Rose's , but I'm enjoying her. Her voice remind me of Denny on Bad Girls, her personality as well, except dumber and more feminine.

Loving her chemistry with The Doctor and she's a main reason I'm going to keep watching. Now if only Billie would go back to her pop career! I loved that.

BTW, ages ago I recall hearing she might not be in the second season, what happened with that?

lidja

lidja

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 7:03 PM

Rose (Billie Piper) will be in the second season, but I think she might have more competition for The Doctor's full attention.

A Real Scotty

A Real Scotty

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 11:40 PM

Thanks, foolishwanderer, that's what happens when you're typing and not thinking. I think I mixed Jo's name with the actress who played her (Katy Manning). As for Leela, I think my brain was getting crossed with ST:VOY for some unknown reason - Neelix, anyone?!

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 6:16 AM

Neelix, anyone?!

How could you get them confused? Neelix is so much prettier than Leela!

No, I kid. And just grossed myself out.

MC_Hamster

MC_Hamster

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 23, 2006 @ 9:43 AM

BTW, ages ago I recall hearing she might not be in the second season, what happened with that?

Newspaper speculation. She's definitely in the second series.

FrankiePitt

FrankiePitt

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 1:04 AM

Well, I think Rose makes a fine companion. She's got a ways to go before reaching Sarah Jane status, but the gal's well on her way.

I was mostly surprised by Billie Piper's acting ability. I only ever knew her as the British pop star who was supposed to be the UK answer to Britney Spears -- except I liked her songs better than Brit's (seriously, the first one is kind of cutesy and gimmicky, but her second CD is actually really fun pop) -- so I wasn't sure what to expect. So call it a pleasant surprise. She's funny, spunky, and has awesome chemistry with The Doctor.

My concern is if Rose is sticking around until the next season, I'd still like them to add another one. Not Mickey, but someone else. Because I fear that after a while, having Rose as the sole companion could prove a wee bit boring. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong.

EllycatinOz

EllycatinOz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 4:43 AM

Amen to that. I adore Rose and totally ship 9 and Rose. However some nice male companions are needed. Not that I am shallow or anything. Capt Jack makes my day!

And no dogs - robotic or otherwise. And if you know a spoiler about that I do NOT want to know.

annlaw78

annlaw78

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 8:21 AM

I wish Rose were a bit older. If she's really supposed to be 17, that's sort of lechy... even though the "companion" thing is asexual. And she's a bit vapid, but I think that'll improve as the "we're, like, time-traveling" thing wears off.

She has a general good look, but those clothes made her look fat and did her figure no favors.

I have to agree -- I hope the costuming department starts doing better by Rose. The flimsy, fluffy t-shirt and wide-leg jeans are not flattering. They make her look a bit stumpy. Oh, and girl needs to stop by Toni and Guy and get her roots done before she travels afar.

airylli

airylli

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 9:09 AM

Anyway, I think she's the new Buffy. Without, y'know, Slayer powers, but still.

In "The Parting of the Ways," as soon as she opened up the TARDIS and light starting flowing into her eyes, I immediately thought, "I wish she'd go all First Slayer on the Daleks. That would be coooool." I think it, it happens.

I adore Rose almost as much as I adore the Doctor. I think she's got a great, unique personality and is so relatable as an ordinary girl in an extraordinary situation that can't go back to her old life. Of course, I've got no other companions to compare her to. But I think she's extremely talented and gorgeous and I hope she stays on a long time.

Chenoeh

Chenoeh

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 4:07 PM

I wish Rose were a bit older. If she's really supposed to be 17, that's sort of lechy

She's 19. The Doctor mentions it in The Unquiet Dead.

annlaw78

annlaw78

Fanatic

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 9:12 PM

Cool. I thought I read somewhere that the writer said she was supposed to be 17. 19 is mildly better, but still, sort of young for romance with someone Eccleston's age. But since The Doctor is sort of an overgrown child, it's not quite so bad.

touchstone

touchstone

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 10:10 AM

I'm very impressed with the show, so far. It's very intelligently written and I find both Rose and the Doctor to be tremendously engaging. Rose is a knockout, though clearly a bottle blonde.

I'm especially impressed with Billy Piper's acting. She's very natural and conveys a range of emotions with conviction and subtlety.

TVjunky

TVjunky

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 10:30 AM

I don't know if anyone saw Billie Piper in the re-telling of Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, but I thought she was really good in it as Hero. The wardrobe and makeup people on that production really did a great job, Billie looked luminous. Though I do think that her wardrobe and hair got a bit better on Doctor Who towards the end of the first season.

I do like Rose quite a bit personally, but as the 9th Doctor was my first Doctor, it's not as if I have any other companions to compare her to. But I think the reason he likes her, and he wanted her to come with him is that she sort of embodies many things he admires in humans, a certain curiosity, a sense of adventure, and other general qualities (and flaws, as well). She's not a scientist, or a warrior, or anything specifically useful as far as the sidekick gig usually goes, but she definitely is one of the "good humans", with a good heart, good intentions, and she is braver than even she realizes. Rose is not perfect, but she is the kind of person it's nice to be around, IMHO, and I think that's what the Doctor saw in her in the first episode.

annlaw78

annlaw78

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 10:55 AM

I was impressed in the latest episode in how quickly she picked up on the fact that releasing the gas into the basement was going to choke them to death. She's not just an airheaded shopgirl, she's pretty bright and pragmatic.

MDKNIGHT

MDKNIGHT

Fanatic

Posted Mar 25, 2006 @ 5:26 PM

So in real life she married a guy almost 20 years older than her? No comment.

Now given that I've only seen the first 3 eps of the first season I don't know if this will be a problem long run but while in the EOTW ep I thought Rose was being sensitive to anybody's life when she asked the Dr to help Casandra, The Unquiet Dead gave me second thoughts. How exactly is it better to choose honoring human dead over saving the lives of aliens had the aliens really just wanted the dead? I said in the ep thread that I thought Rose was being too humancentric and I guess for a shop girl high school drop out she could be a lot worse and she's only been exposed to aliens for a brief time but still it bothered me. I began to retroactively wonder if Rose didn't mind so much that Casandra killed the Steward and Jabe because they were respectively a blue alien and a tree alien. Would she have WANTED the Dr to let Cassandra die if she'd killed human strangers? I don't know. Made me like the character a tad less. Not to say I think this makes me hate her or anything, just that it bugged me about her a little bit. Of course there is nothing so far conclusive in her behavior.
Hey at least she's not a racist.

BTW is England so PC that nobody raised an eyebrow at the blonde girl hero dating a black guy? Obviously we are way past the rioting in the streets/we'll boycott kind of reaction but was there no talk at all about it?

Edited by MDKNIGHT, Mar 25, 2006 @ 5:29 PM.