Dame Rose Tyler, of the Powell Estates

• Please log in to reply

415 replies to this topic

suerterana

suerterana

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 18, 2009 @ 12:06 PM

Also include selish, self centered, obessive, stalker, Lifetime movie material, and her horrible disrepectfull treatment of Sarah Jane.

It's ashame (sp) because I liked in her season 1. All her good qualities were in season 1. 9 handled her well.
Ten just never rained her in and let her get worse. see Age of Steel and Rise of the Cybermen which I can't watch without becoming very angry. eps with the negative attitude of both of them toward Mickey.

If they ever bring her back(hopefully they'll have gotten over their blonde ideal) she'll be older, wiser and out of this horrible stage and character assination (sp) that happened to her

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Sep 25, 2009 @ 8:36 AM

Maybe in the show's 50th anniversary, both Rose and 10.5 will show up to help Eleven/Twelve in an epic battle or something.

chaosbydesign

chaosbydesign

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 6, 2010 @ 6:51 PM

I feel like this is probably a really unpopular opinion at this point, but I still like Rose and the Rose/Doctor love story, at least up to Doomsday. I did hate how they dealt with her character in Journey's End; I would have preferred if they had to bring her back at all for them to have her just trying to contact the Doctor across the dimensions because she knew someone was trying to destroy the universe, but not to have her actually cross over into ours. And I hated the weird thing with her winding up with 10.5.

She wasn't a perfect companion by any stretch and she certainly did her share of stupid/immature things, but the positives of her character always outweighed the negatives for me. Plus, I preferred Ten when he was with her. He seemed genuinely happy and not as full of pain.

Just my two cents.

Effra

Effra

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 7, 2010 @ 10:32 AM

I feel like this is probably a really unpopular opinion at this point, but I still like Rose and the Rose/Doctor love story, at least up to Doomsday. I did hate how they dealt with her character in Journey's End; I would have preferred if they had to bring her back at all for them to have her just trying to contact the Doctor across the dimensions because she knew someone was trying to destroy the universe, but not to have her actually cross over into ours. And I hated the weird thing with her winding up with 10.5.

She wasn't a perfect companion by any stretch and she certainly did her share of stupid/immature things, but the positives of her character always outweighed the negatives for me. Plus, I preferred Ten when he was with her. He seemed genuinely happy and not as full of pain.

chaosbydesign I am still a big Rose fan too. Much as I love Donna and Jack she is still my favourite companion. I even reconciled myself to her story in Journey's End. It just suffers a bit in execution I think because it is secondary to the Doctor's story and getting the genocidal thing mixed up with it. But she had to confront the truth that Doomsday was a beautiful illusion as much as the Doctor did. Intellectually, I like her as a character because she was very real to me. I believed in her strengths and I believed in her weaknesses and I believed in how they went together to make her. Emotionally, I just dug her story and I like it a way because of how it is different from Donna's. Unlike Donna, Rose knew when we first encountered her that there was so much more to life and to her than what she was living. She didn't know how to do anything about that but she seized her chance immediately because she was so sure she could be more even if it was just initially remembering that she was pretty good at gym at junior school. And then her story was about how as she fell in love with the Doctor she forgot that that person she had become still needed to have some solid ground to stand upon and that she couldn't destroy everything else in her life to be with the Doctor because that's not what the Doctor can offer. That's why her coming back and getting 10.5 worked for me. She had to to try to come back, because there's no way you give up when the Doctor' a second way from saying 'I love you'. But she has to go back to the parallel universe with 10.5 because she can't travel with the Doctor forever without both messing him up and her losing something.

Raksha

Raksha

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2010 @ 11:54 PM

Yeah, I still adore Rose and I love her relationship with The Doctor (and Jack!). I prefer her with Nine, but Ten really was a lot more enjoyable for me with her. Y'all aren't alone!

Squirrtle

Squirrtle

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 29, 2010 @ 12:17 AM

I am an unapologetic Rose fan. Also an unapologetic Rose/Doctor fan. I've never seen the original Doctor Who so from 9 on is the Doctor Who I know. I liked Rose in any season of the show. I didn't like her all the time and there were annoying moments for me but that's the same with any character. That being said, I don't think she should be back. With the new TARDIS, new Doctor, new companion, new title sequence it is like a new show. I don't think she has much of a place there but I kind think that about anyone from the first four seasons.

I agree that she did have her immature moments of the show. And they were annoying but I also have to remember that when Rose was introduced she was like what, 19? So by the time of Doomsday she would be 20, 21 at the most maybe. Even though that's legally an adult they still have their fair share of immature moments and that's without time travel. Is that a good excuse? No, probably not. But I think it's an understandable reason.

I just think she was a lot more good than bad. I also found her to be relatable. As relatable as someone can be within the context of this show. I think the first season showed her learning and becoming more confident with herself. Finding a purpose, something more than just being a 'shop girl'. The second season, and I'm thinking a lot of people won't agree with me, I think she just had the confidence that she didn't have before. And yeah, she would totally freak out in a Doctor-less situation sometimes but I also found that understandable. Without the Doctor she couldn't continue living the life she wanted. Sure she would get over it eventually, find some new purpose but we never had to/got the time to see that story unfold. As unrealistic and naive as it was, she wanted to travel across time and space with the Doctor forever. But really, who wouldn't?

beguilingeyes

beguilingeyes

Channel Surfer

Posted May 2, 2010 @ 8:05 AM

I too preferred Rose with Nine, but basically I just love Billie Piper. She was in something on UK tv recently called A Passionate Woman and she was just wonderful. She just has a way of making you feel what she's feeling. Who was lucky to have her.

morakot

morakot

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2010 @ 6:00 PM

Did you see her in Mansfield Park? That was a bad casting decision.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jul 15, 2010 @ 6:22 PM

I wasn't keen on that version of Mansfield Park either, though she's excellent in The Sally Lockhart stories with Matt Smith.

Laira

Laira

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 2, 2010 @ 2:44 PM

Did you see her in Mansfield Park? That was a bad casting decision.

To be fair to Billie, having the hair and makeup people outfit everyone else in period styles while Billie looked like she just dropped in from 2007, didn't help.

I felt I was watching the missing ep where Rose got stranded in Regency England and bluffed her way into the manor house to wait the Doctor's return in comfort.

morakot

morakot

Fanatic

Posted Sep 9, 2010 @ 5:50 PM

Her acting decisions, when playing the sickly Fanny, were odd -- no real need to run sturdily around, tossing her loose hair and being loud and forthright. Not much of a Portsmouth accent either.

I caught part of one of the Sally Lockhart stories and I will admit she was okay. She's not a good period actress at all, but her modern sensibility seemed right for the character. That and Matt Smith almost makes it worth me trying to watch the whole series.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Sep 11, 2010 @ 9:48 AM

As for Rose, much as I'm glad that the show has moved on from her, I do have to admit that her little cameo in The End Of Time was a nice nod to her life pre-Doctor.

Writing Wrongs

Writing Wrongs

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2011 @ 11:30 AM

I'm rewatching Series 1 and damn, she wears alot of mascara!

Eris Rising

Eris Rising

Fanatic

Posted Dec 24, 2011 @ 11:15 PM

I'm rewatching Series 1 and damn, she wears alot of mascara!

It fits for the character of a working-class shopgirl, though.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 4, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

To me Rose was better written in the first series but that being said, I can still enjoy her in both Series 2 and 4 and her little moment in The End Of Time Part 2 is still a nice moment.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 8:26 AM

11 still remebers her he felt guilt in 6.8 LKH when he was thinking of his past companions. He also considered going back in time tooo see her in 6.13 TWORS

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 7, 2012 @ 7:56 AM

I liked the Rose mentions in Series 6 but apart from the 50th anniversary, I don't think the character needs to return though.

lostalongtheway

lostalongtheway

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 8:25 PM

I enjoyed Billie in the BBC miniseries, True Love.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Sep 5, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

When was Rose mentioned in season six?

call me ishmael

call me ishmael

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 6, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

Didn't she appear to the Doctor in the images of those he had hurt when he was hallucinating (I think during LKH)?

angora

angora

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 6:52 AM

Yep. In TWoRS, he also mentioned, in his little "time's not the boss of me" rant, that he could go back and "help Rose Tyler with her homework."

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Aug 26, 2013 @ 7:40 AM

Steven Moffat has praised the character of Rose and Billie Piper ...

http://www.digitalsp...ged-to-her.html

Some 50th spoilers, so approach with caution.

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 2, 2013 @ 7:03 PM

I have a question about what Rose did at the end of "Parting of the Ways".  I have tried searching for that episode and can not locate it.  Can someone direct me and my question to that thread?

Why was only Jack revived when Rose -Tardis said "and I give life"?  I thought there was a scene where we see the two programmers also revive and kiss.  Wouldn't she have also restored the Earth to pre-Dalek invasion?

Also, are there any Rose and the Doctor-Human Ten adventures that have been written that are considered part of the Who-verse, rather than fan fiction?  I'm curious about this because I can not see the two of them being content to just settle down to a "normal" life.

Edited by elle, Nov 3, 2013 @ 11:09 AM.

call me ishmael

call me ishmael

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2013 @ 6:55 PM

Why was only Jack revived when Rose -Tardis said "and I give life"?  I thought there was a scene where we see the two programmers also revive and kiss.  Wouldn't she have also restored the Earth to pre-Dalek invasion?

I think you are thinking too consistently.  I can't remember about the two programmers but they couldn't have Jack living eternally if she didn't bring him back in a special way and they couldn't have all of earth living that way.

Although it may have been because Jack too was out of time.

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2013 @ 8:46 PM

Thanks for the response.  That just goes to show that I am mis-remembering a scene, again.  I did not realize that Jack had not been immortal before this episode.

I guess that in this episode is one in which not "everyone lives".  (and I want to know why!)

call me ishmael

call me ishmael

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 4, 2013 @ 3:48 PM

I think the everyone lives episodes are actually supposed to be special.

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 5, 2013 @ 3:46 PM

everyone lives episodes

Do you mean The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances ep?

I actually never questioned why only Jack comes back to life. I just figured that's how it is so that's how it is! It makes "sense" in Whoverse.

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 5, 2013 @ 9:20 PM

I would think so.  I'm not sure of any other specific episodes.

I thought Rose brought everyone back to life, but we only saw Jack.  It was only after I learned that was how he became immortal that I began to question if anyone else was brought back.

Only fanfic for Rose and her Doctor Ten?

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2013 @ 8:43 AM

Maybe.

At least we get another look at Rose in ten days time too.

I hope her and Clara get to meet.

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2013 @ 3:06 PM

At least we get another look at Rose in ten days time too.

Wait! What? Billie is going to be on the 50th special?