Meet Market in the TARDIS: SHHHH, LINDA

• Please log in to reply

33567 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 1:31 PM

I'm so sorry. I had no idea this was coming.

With TWoP shutting down, please use the remaining time and this thread to figure out where you'll want to discuss the show after May 31. And everyone be respectful to NBC and the site in your posts, please. Thanks.

Kaffyr

Kaffyr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 8:58 PM

Go, WyKnott! I'm never going to hit 5,000 posts, but I'm looking to try for 2,700 or (whisper it) 2,750 before May 31. 

kwynne

Lots of thing were kept in that Dungeon if I recall.

Oh, aye! Including hyenas. I always loved the hyenas. I think they should come with us wherever we go. 

Uberlisa

Uberlisa

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2014 @ 10:02 PM

I'm upping my post count. Now up yours!

I'm sorry. That is so wrong.

My post count is 800 something. I don't know I'll make it to the next level. But I'm going to try. Heh.

megspenchant

megspenchant

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 7:45 AM

Where is cutecouple when I need him. I just watched an episode of Bizarre Foods about the Minnesota State Fair and I have an awful lot of food questions.

I've had one of those weeks that is just full of really sad things affecting my friends. So far there's been a diagnoses of breast cancer, a suicide, and then today the accident that resulted in the death of a 12 year old, it's only Tuesday. I've decided not to watch or read any news this week because I think I am at my limit of hearing any more bad stuff happening for this week.

Makes me grateful that my only drama is needing to find a job at some time in the future. It's good timing that I have my days free for hospital runs, airport pickups, pet feeding, comfort food and cups of tea because some of my friends are going through some truly upsetting stuff and at least I have time to provide some small assistance.

I hope next week is a better week, this one has been a complete shit.

Kaffyr

Kaffyr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 8:42 AM

Hugs, Megs - I'm so sorry that your week has been so full of sorrow, my dear. It doesn't matter that it isn't happening directly to you, because sorrow has a way of seeping into the lives of everyone around the sufferer. I am glad you have been there for your friends, and I know you would do no less than that, because of the person you are.

Come on in and let us give you a cup of tea (or would you like a humongous glass of Merlot?) and we'll take the TARDIS blanket out of the suitcase we've put it into (for the move, of course) so you can wrap yourself in it. 

ETA: If you were looking at a documentary about Minnesota food, you must have run across pickles on sticks (and the relatively tame corn dogs on sticks.) Minnesota State Fair ... like nothing else on earth, I'm told ....

Edited by Kaffyr, Apr 8, 2014 @ 8:44 AM.

megspenchant

megspenchant

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 9:18 AM

Thanks Kaffyr I will take the blankie and a cuppa, can't drink because I want to be available for driving duties. Really sad and shitty week can't wait until it is over.

Most of the food on the show astounds me but that is the wonderful thing about food. It may sound like a weird paring but it can taste amazing.

PhPhan

PhPhan

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 11:11 AM

I could probably wouldn't be of any help about the state fair food.  I pretty much only eat corn dogs and Sweet Martha's cookies. 

I did try the deep fried spam one year.  It tasted like cardboard.  I ate one and gave the rest away to some teenage kids.  

Sorry to hear that you are not having a good week, Megs.  I hope you feel better soon   

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 11:58 AM

Xtreme, bless his heart, might remember, but he hasn't reappeared. I wonder if he knows that we're shutting down?

I'm sure he's off getting up to some naughtiness somewhere!

I would up my posts to a nice neat level but some seem to have been lost since I last checked when the announcement was made - I'm down to just a couple of hundred somehow, oddly.

Sorry to hear about your various sad pieces of news, Megs, that is awful. Avoiding the news probably best, I didn't watch any last night because I already felt very sorry to hear about Peaches Geldof and didn't want to hear any more about it. 

I have been very efficient today, doing all my teaching course proposal forms for the next academic year. They send out these trickily-formatted forms to be filled in online now and I can NEVER do them right, always end up failing to save properly and losing the whole thing several times. I am sure it's just to save the administrators work, but that means we have to do it, which is not fair really as we only get paid for teaching hours, not admin. Oh well. I need to teach something easy to fit in with other commitments so I am proposing a class on Jane Austen film/TV/online adaptations, as I have watched them all a million times and might as well have some work reason to justify it.

Also been eating very healthily today. Porridge for breakfast then roasted some veggies quickly this morning after the dentist and had courgettes with couscous and red onion for lunch, about to now use the roasted butternut squash in a risotto. Om nom nom.

Edited by Promethea Again, Apr 8, 2014 @ 12:00 PM.

WyKnott

WyKnott

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2014 @ 3:54 PM

Oh, Megs, bad news just seems to come in clumps, doesn't it? I'm so sorry there's been so much lately.

Upping my post count here with a whine about my neighbors. Apologies to those who have already read this on Facebook.

I live in an older condo complex. When I bought at the height of the housing bubble, it was what I could afford. Of course, if I had just waited a year or so, I could have bought in a better area. Not the area I wanted to live in, but I figured I could sell after a while and then move further west. At first it wasn't that bad, then problems arose. The owner-occupied percentage dropped way down. Low life renters moved in, several years ago a fire (!) gutted a couple of units, stopping just short of my place, and there was a murder (!!) in the next building over. Then two nights ago, a swat stand-off (!!!). I had no clue about swat being here because it was at the front of the complex in the building facing the street. I saw the news van out front this morning, checked online when I got to work, and friends started calling me about it.

And then there's the neighbor who thinks we all want to hear her choice of music at full blast. She's also the one who drunkenly drove into the carport supports bringing it down on top of the cars parked underneath. I've complained to the Homeowner Association about her, word is she and the owner of the unit will get fined. I haven't seen any change in her behavior, though.

Neighbors who've been here longer than I have tell me they've seen it all before and it will get better.
Peaks and valleys, peaks and valleys.

Prom, speaking about Jane Austen, have you seen Austenland? I Netflixed it the other day, because a friend recommended it - well, tastes differ, I guess. It's your typical romcom but in period dress mashed-up with modern times. I'm not sure what I was expecting, the idea was good, execution seemed a little low budget.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 5:30 AM

It didn't actually get a cinema showing in my area, so I'm waiting to catch it on DVD, which I will have done by the time of the course. I've heard it's a little cheesy? Bit sick of the automatic Austen = chicklit thing though.

WyKnott

WyKnott

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 10:18 AM

Yeah, I thought it was cheesy, but then I'm finding I'm not as tolerant of romcoms as I used to be. I must be getting curmudgeonly in my old spinster-hood.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 11:08 AM

They're not as good as they used to be. I read a great article a while ago about that ... wait a minute and I'll find it ... here 'tis: http://www.laweekly....omantic-comedy/

peanutbunny

peanutbunny

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2014 @ 5:14 PM

WyKnott, do you live in the complex I just moved from?  Sure sounds like it (I'm in CT).  

Megs... **hugs** -- so sorry for all the troubles your friends are having.  You are a very good friend - bless you for being there.  

Nothing too much new here - not sure if I shared the drama over the baby shower for my son & daughter in law, and I'm too lazy to search for it, so let's just say there is LOTS of unnecessary drama.  Does not bode well for after the baby is born.

megspenchant

megspenchant

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 3:32 AM

I saw Austenland recently, it had a good cast and the concept could have worked but I thought it was pretty dreadful.

So far there have been no further disasters happening to my friends this week, thank goodness.

Oh dear, peanutbunny that's some troubling news, it's only a baby shower, the ones that we have here are generally pretty low key.

I've spent the day cooking only to find out that MrMegs is staying in Canberra for another night, I've just spent the last 5 hours tending to the slow roasted lamb shoulder and vegetables. Oh well, looks like Greek lamb wraps and roast veggie and lentil salad will be on the menu for the next couple of days.

As it is coming up to that time of the year I also did a batch of ANZAC biscuits, they will be gone by tomorrow at the rate that I am eating them.

WyKnott

WyKnott

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2014 @ 2:32 PM

Prom, that article's kind of depressing, at least there were a few movies to add to my Netflix list. Ha peanutbunny! I think there's one in every community.

I agree about Austenland, Megs. You nailed it. Good cast, but I realized after watching it, the only thing we knew about Jane was that she was a rabid Auten fan. Nothing about what she did for a living, no family mentioned, just one friend. She seemed a little sad, really. At least she had a sense of humor about the whole thing.

And because I'm all about the food *Homer drool* …slow roasted lamb shoulder and vegetables. YUM

Edited by WyKnott, Apr 10, 2014 @ 2:35 PM.

Kaffyr

Kaffyr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 1:29 PM

Here I'd been planning to drop in every day, and I didn't do that this week. It's been one of those weeks, but more of that later. 

First, megs, oh, my lord, were it not for the miles that separate us, I'd tell you to get a nice middle-brow red ready for your Chicago sista, and I would be elbowing WyKnott away from the ...slow roasted lamb shoulder and vegetables. I used to have lamb a lot when I was growing up. My unconsciously extremely anglophile Nana regularly made lamb curry and we had lamb stew and dumplings a lot. But as an adult, lamb seems to have slipped from my menu. Over the last 33 years, it's been because BB doesn't like lamb (I know, I know ... but he has so many other nice qualities.)  We get a lot of New Zealand and Australian lamb over here, too, because of Costco, so I keep planning to sweet talk him into some, but it keeps getting pushed to the back of my mind. 

WyKnott, how big is your condo complex? We have an 18-unit complex (of which I am still the president, goddammit) and we have three units that are rentals. Luckily, they're all really decent people. I would hate to have the kind of problem you have. Would upping the fines to the landlords put a little pressure on them to be more choosy about who they rent to?

peanutbunny

not sure if I shared the drama over the baby shower for my son & daughter in law, and I'm too lazy to search for it, so let's just say there is LOTS of unnecessary drama.

Gah. No child should have to come into a world populated by drama llamas. 

Now actual llamas? That's another thing. I like llamas. Those eyelashes!!

I'm back in the "worry about my brother" zone. He got home from the hospital last weekend after the quintuple heart surgery, and was being cared for by loads of friends, looking forward to a slow but sure improvement - and then he collapsed while talking to someone on the phone (and oh lord, am I grateful that he was on the phone when it happened.) He woke up to paramedics and police, and is now back in the cardiac unit while they try to figure out why his hemoglobin keeps dropping. 

I'm assured by some friends that postoperative anaemia is a thing that happens a lot, so I'm trying not to panic too  much, but this is just about the time that Mum went into hospital last year. She, too, came out and then went back in, and she never came out. So as illogical and irrational as I know it is, that sticks in my head. 

And earlier this week I discovered that I'd been "volunteered" into a pilot project at work, to learn how to do audio news reports "in partnership" with our local public radio station. I have union concerns about it, as well as workload concerns about it, and the person who set this up is one of the management people in my company who I would personally love to defenestrate.

But on another, much nicer topic; I finally got the chance to talk to Queen Gwen about the Livejournal site we set up a few years ago (The Oncoming Recaps), and she's up for making it a meeting place for coffee, cuppas, and chats. We'll probably need to change the name of the place, and I know it won't have much traffic, but then, it's really just for folks who know and love LINDA. Think of it as a side room to any place we repopulate over at previouslytv.

I have to do a little cleaning and dusting of the place, but I'll let folks know when it's presentable and get folks the address; you won't even have to have an LJ account (although a basic account is free and lets you comment and have a few icons); you can post anonymously and let us know who you are in the comments. 

Hmmmm ... I really should hunt down Xtreme; it just doesn't seem the same around here without him. Heh. Anyhow, folks, on this sunny (at least in Chicago) afternoon, SCHHHH!

WyKnott

WyKnott

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 2:38 PM

Kaffyr sorry to hear that your brother's not out of the woods yet.

As for the size of my complex, it's relatively large, 196 units in 7 buildings. I've talked to the board president about the problems we've been having and why we can't insist on owners doing better background checks before renting out their place. He gave me some blather about why it's not possible.

I do know when people get fined, it's double the second time. Not that that seems to have much of an effect recently. That problem renter that drunkenly knocked down the carport? She's had a cracked front window for weeks now with no sign of it getting fixed. When I first moved in, I had a screen that was coming loose in a corner. I got a notice to get it fixed or face a fine. It was already on my to-do list, but no problem, I just moved it to the top of my list.

Kaffyr

Kaffyr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 3:04 PM

WyKnott, sometimes the big complexes have that huge inertia problem, or at least so other dwellers in large complexes have told me before. Maybe it's time to run for the board? *ducks*

Prom I read the article on the death of the romantic comedy, and it made me remember that, while I loved the screwball comedies of the 1930s and 1940s, like Bringing Up Baby, or My Man Godfrey (or any of the Astaire romances, which weren't entirely screwball, but certainly fit the bill well enough) the romantic comedies of later decades leave me cold.

Perhaps rom-coms need a sense of elegance in them, to get past the viewers' basic disbelief in "happily ever after" as the author of the piece talks about. I mean, perhaps those early examples of romantic comedy went with completely and cheerily unrealistic stories about unrealistically rich and/or talented people falling in love, in completely and elegantly ridiculous situations because they figured that if they were going to go for a little bit of escapism, which is essentially what a rom-com is, they should actually shoot the moon and make it all completely unrealistic. 

All of which makes me want to binge watch some Astaire and/or Hepburn/Grant movies tonight. Heh.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 3:37 PM

I read the book Austenland, but never got around to seeing the movie. It wasn't at a convenient theater at a convenient time, and the reviews I'd seen were bad enough that I didn't make the effort. I honestly don't remember much about the book. At the time it came out, there was a wave of "sad single women obsessed with Jane Austen" novels, and they all blur in my memory.

One of my theories about the decline in quality of romantic comedies is that the people making them hold them and the audience for them in contempt, so they take a very cynical view -- you don't need a decent script, just a couple of attractive people, some high-concept gimmick, and a falling-in-love montage to a hit song by a hot artist, and those silly women will eat it up and we'll more than make our budget back. And then the movie flops because the audience is actually more intelligent than that, and they throw their hands in the air and say, "Well, today's audiences just aren't into romantic comedies. They just don't fit in contemporary culture." And with the gimmicks, they seem to spend far more time coming up with some wacky reason why the couple can't be together than they do on figuring out why they should be together, so even when they get together, you're left feeling like it'll never last, or (mostly, these days) you're thinking that he can do better than that loony bitch.

Sorry, one of my personal soap boxes.

Kaffyr

Kaffyr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2014 @ 5:54 PM

Shanna;

One of my theories about the decline in quality of romantic comedies is that the people making them hold them and the audience for them in contempt

An excellent point; agreed.

Oh, and PhPhan, I can completely believe that deep-fried spam tasted like cardboard. But ... it's Spam!!! So it doesn't matter! *g*

peanutbunny

peanutbunny

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2014 @ 2:17 PM

I'm not really a rom-com person, myself, but I do love the old movies.  I think the comment about contempt for the audience is spot on - most of the reason I don't enjoy them is because they take themselves too seriously, in a "aren't we just so precious" sort of way.  If you're going to over the top and ridiculous, then don't throw in a serious montage of bullshit that's supposed to make me suddenly want this couple together.

MMMM, roasted lamb... yes.  I'm the only one in my family who really likes lamb, so I usually get stuck with just lamb chops, or making a Scotch Broth.  For Easter, we've always had ham, and the one time I tried to introduce lamb did not go so well. lol

I am proud to say the baby shower drama is not on my part - it's on my DIL's mother's part.  She's mad at me because I offered my son's christening gown to my son and his wife to use for the baby, while mother had planned to have her own wedding dress cut down to a christening gown as a gift surprise.  I understand the sentiment behind that, but honestly?  So, she feels I "beat" her, and that her daughter is displaying a preference for me (??!!), and so decided to make unilateral shower decisions that not only don't take into account what my DIL wants (a small, quiet, low key, relaxed baby shower at her house), but also conveniently forgets that my son has a family and friends who would like to attend, but not travel a little over 2 hours to get there.  So, the shower is at a hotel, and will be a ridiculously over the top affair.  When I tried to have a calm discussion with her, she just blew up, stated the when/where of the shower, and huffed off.  So, my DIL will have 2 showers - her mother's "have to keep up with my friends" shower, and mine - which will be the laid-back, backyard bbq, relaxed, dressed for the weather shower at DIL's house.

I have a feeling DIL's mom isn't going to let up about anything after the baby is born (she already throws passive-aggressive fits when the kids decide to spend a holiday with me), plus, she's supposed to be providing child care when my DIL returns to work.  I think that's not going to go well, but I have kept my mouth shut about it.  

In other news - I had an MRI on my lower back, and it turns out I have a bulging disc that's impinging on my sciatic nerve.  Starting p/t soon as I find a place, and no drugs.  So, here we go on the pain wagon again.  

Please let me know the LJ site is up - I would love to participate. :)

Kaffyr

Kaffyr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2014 @ 5:14 PM

peanutbunny, that sounds like exactly the kind of thing I would gnaw my own leg off to escape. I never had to deal with inlaws; BB's dad had been several years when we met, and I met and liked his mother, but she was in another community, and died less than four years after we were married. Bob met my mother at our wedding, and they liked each other, but we lived 1,500 or more miles from each other. He met my dad twice, and that was it. So we've pretty much been inlaw free.

Is surgery a potential solution for the disc problem? BB ended up having microsurgery on one of his discs, and it helped. I'm sorry if there aren't pain killers that can help you.

In more medical news, my brother got home from hospital, after the bypass surgery, and shortly thereafter had to go back in, after collapsing (luckily, he did it while he was on the phone with someone, so he woke up with police and parameds around him.) It could have been postoperative anemia, because his hemoglobin count was really low. They kept him in for a couple of more days, then sent him back home with his medications adjusted. I fret and worry, but I know his friends will take care of him.  I did have a good chat with him this morning, so I'm feeling a bit more positive about the situation. But, oh lord, don't I wish I had a teleporter.

ETA: closed parentheses are my friends. Sigh.

Edited by Kaffyr, Apr 14, 2014 @ 9:11 AM.

megspenchant

megspenchant

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 8:12 AM

Woah, peanutbunny! DIL’s Mom is from hell.

I am a very easy going person and dealing with high maintenance people in family or in life can be angering and exhausting. Your poor DIL has been dealing with it all of her life. I don’t understand why some people like DIL’s Mom “want to keep up with the Jones’s” but it must be important for some reason.  I feel sorry for people that get caught up in that sort of stuff because they need to prove something to their small world.

Keep Calm, carry on and don’t get caught up in DIL’s Mums level of crazy. At the end of the day all that matters is a healthy happy baby and your son and DIL creating a loving family. You can support your DIL and son but you can’t do anything to fix the crazy, just accept/avoid it.

Sorry about your back and that you have to get back on the PT pain wagon but as someone who has nursed a friend through 12 months of withdrawal from addiction to pain medication (again, 2nd time), as tedious as PT is, it’s a much better option in the long term. Withdrawal from medication is really not pretty, and seems to be  more painful.

Kaffry, hugs to you and your bro. My Father died at age 47 of a heart attack back in 1972. I was 7. I’m sorry that your Brother had a setback, but at least in the age of scientific research these things are not a death sentence, just scary as all *uck. I wish I had a teleporter to send a hug your way.

Kaffyr

Kaffyr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2014 @ 9:49 AM

Good morning!  It's going to be a good week; I have so declared it, and thus must it be.

Cue sounds of universe laughing itself sick ....

Well, I'm going to try to make it as good a week as possible. The weather is going to be pure springtime Chicago, with ice pellets and snow today, two days after we had temperatures in the 70's (F). The temperatures are supposed to begin climbing again by midweek, and by Friday we're supposed to be back in the mid-50s, which is probably just about right for around here. Weather this variable just makes me think about the first time I attended a Chicago Cubs game, back in 1981 or 1982. It was in April, and the announcer finally had to plead, "Will the patrons please stop throwing snowballs onto the field?"

BB and I went to see two hours of radio plays done live on stage last night. FB is the radio troupe's foley guy; that is, he does the sound effects, and stands at one side of the stage with a table full of things to make noises with, including a mini-door that he opens and closes whenever any character enters or leaves the room. He smashed glass in a bucket, drank water noisily during a hilarious tea-drinking scene - and stole the show twice; once inadvertently, when he started to choke on the water he was sipping noisily - he tried to suppress a cough, got the giggles while he was choking, flapped his hands about, a bit like Eleventy, and left the stage briefly. The second time more choreographed, while he provided the sounds during a sword fight - as the fight went on, and on, interminably, he gradually became visually bored, and his increasingly cosmic boredom as he waved and clashed these swords around had the audience in stitches. I'm guessing that one was planned.

I love old time radio, which is why this evening tickled my fancy. I suspect I'd love many, if not all, of the DW  audio dramas, but I've never tried any of them. Any suggestions? I'd really love to get into more of Seven and Eight - and even Six, who I'm told really came into his own with his audio adventures.

Sistamegs, you're right about pain medication addictions being bad when they're used wrong. I am so glad your friend had someone like you to help them through the gut-wrenching task of getting off whatever medication they wanted to leave behind. It's a terribly tough fight, and having someone there for you when you start the fight is crucial.

But you actually pushed a button for me, and I'm going to indulge in a small rant; be aware that it has only to do with what I've experienced over the years and doesn't negate the true harm that over dependence on some medications can do.

I think one needs to qualify exactly what addiction means. If one ends up using a medication for a reason other than the reason it's supposed to be used, and can't stop doing that, then you have the potential for what I would call an addiction that needs to be tackled. But if it simply means that one needs a given amount of medication to be able to go through the day, then I have to ask this: how is that different than needing a given amount of insulin when you're diabetic?

My shorthand: Is it a successful coping mechanism that allows one to get through the day in a fulfilling manner, to have good relationships with loved ones and the rest of the world, and to have a fulfilling life? Then it may be an addiction, but it's the same kind of "addiction" one has to any necessary medication. Is it a malfunctioning coping mechanism that you've developed by using the meds in a way they were not intended to be used? It's time to get help, wean yourself off the meds, and find better coping mechanisms.

But pain medication can be a godsend to someone like BB, who has chronic fibromyalgia, or me, since my scleroderma comes with a rollicking case of polymyecitis. (I think I spelled it correctly; it's a case of, as my scleroderma doc quite honestly said, "pain that you have all over, that we know is connected to the scleroderma, but that we don't know anything about." In my case, it's both muscular and joint pain.)

We both take a given amount of codeine a day to control the pain, and have for years - I used to have to take it for crippling migraines that blessedly faded away after menopause; then I got the scleroderma. I love my body ... but I digress.

Our doctors. and the American medical community, treat pain meds as a necessary evil, and people who need them as moral failures, always in danger of falling into the "sin" of using medications. They don't look at the fact that I, for instance, have taken 1-2 tablets of my pain med, either for the migraines when I had them, or for the polymyecitis now, for years. And by years, I mean close to a quarter century - and that I've never needed or wanted any higher dose, because I use it for the purpose it's intended; relieving pain and letting me live my life. Instead, I'm treated as that moral failure I mentioned, or at least someone weak, in constant need of oversight.

At least in this country, there needs to be an honest reexamination of what pain control should mean, and why our society is so afraid of narcotics - a fear that goes beyond the reasonable fear of using a medication for a reason other than its proper use, and steps into a near-religious paranoia that has nothing to do with caring for the patient, and more to do with fear of a self-created devil.

*steps off soap box*

Edited by Kaffyr, Apr 14, 2014 @ 9:50 AM.

kwynne38

kwynne38

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 4:50 AM

Should move to the UK Kaffyr, the Doctor would happily give you any amount of pain medication with barely a second thought and give you some extra antibiotics for good measure.  When the antibiotic resistant Bacteria really take hold the UK is doomed heh.

Spent the morning at war with my brothers housing association, he's not good with offialdom so I helped him out.  Last week he got an interesting named notice of seeking Possesion -rent arrears, which is in effect they were threatening to evict him, he wasn't in rent arrears technically, thats just the council paying his housing benefit 5 weeks late.  Trying to get the HA to understand this was real pig, but he's not getting evicted now because the council eventually paid up, of course the HA didn't tell him that, so the housing association sends a letter to tell you that you are being evicted, but don't then send a letter to say he's not being evicted, and since the council is paying later and later due to budget cuts he's likely to get one of these letters every week.  On top of this he's going to have to pay extra in advance of the imminent/possibly 2 years away Universal Credit where all benefits are going to be merged into 1, when this happens there may be a 6 week gap between the old benefits ceasing and the new one starting, so my brother has to pay extra for when that happens so he isn't in 2 much arrears even though the HA will be paid eventually, its all very complicated and it evn gave me a headache led alone my brother

Other than now having a headache all is well other than that heh.

Edited by kwynne38, Apr 15, 2014 @ 4:51 AM.

Kaffyr

Kaffyr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:18 AM

kwynne

Should move to the UK Kaffyr, the Doctor would happily give you any amount of pain medication with barely a second thought an

Whups, nope, that's not the answer either; being Canadian, I tend to like what I've seen of how they handle it, (or at least what I recall from my youth, and then from my time with mom.) There's reasonable oversight there. There has to be a halfway point between 100 percent surveillance with a side dish of moral disapprobation, and near-complete disinterest. *is grumpy*

The handsful of antibiotics scares me; they do it over here, too, and I keep thinking the same "doomed!" thoughts.

The bureaucratic nightmare you're helping your brother deal with is croggling my brain. How unfair, to be caught between two bureaucracies! Good on you for helping navigate it.

WyKnott

WyKnott

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 9:51 AM

Just popping in for a quick hi! Very busy at work, tomorrow's our big scholarship celebration and there's not enough hours in the work day to get everything done today.

I'm glad your brother's doing better after a scary setback, Kaffyr. MIL from hell, indeed, peanutbunny. She's not even listening to her own daughter's wishes? Wow.

Kaffyr

Kaffyr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2014 @ 11:11 AM

Good luck on the scholarship celebration, WyKnott!

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Today, 11:12 AM

kwynne, I do wonder if your brother is by any chance with the same Housing Association I used to be with? I moved out of their flat about four years ago, all paid up as far as I knew since it was by direct debit. A couple of months ago they suddenly sent a letter to my mum's address, which she opened and got a right shock as it said that they were pursuing me for a debt of £70 and could send out bailiffs etc. Incidentally the address they said I owed money for was neither my old flat nor the garage I had as well but when I contacted them it turned out they did mean the garage, they'd just got the address wrong. And - oh fancy that - while the old garage account was indeed £70 down, it looked like the old flat account was actually in credit. After some investigation, it turned out that someone at some point had assigned the money that came in, to the wrong account. AND, guess what, even after the anomaly was sorted out, they actually owed ME £120, which I had no idea about. So, I ended up with 'free' money (of course, it was mine anyway) and spent it on a ticket for Kate Bush later this year! Was tempted to ask for the interest as well. 

Happy Easter, all. I have spent it so far writing a pitch for something, walking the dog, having a driving lesson, hanging out my washing and now am currently having a nightmare trying to update my Xperia M phone with some new software update, but it won't download the right drivers. If it doesn't start to work soon I'm giving up and going to read my book in the garden, under the dripping washing.