Meet Market in the TARDIS: SHHHH, LINDA

• Please log in to reply

33566 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 1:31 PM

I'm so sorry. I had no idea this was coming.

With TWoP shutting down, please use the remaining time and this thread to figure out where you'll want to discuss the show after May 31. And everyone be respectful to NBC and the site in your posts, please. Thanks.

cacophony

cacophony

Fanatic

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 7:47 PM

Its a bit strange opening a week and a day before the US isn't is, is something happening in the US to stop opening this week.

I'm sure I've read that this is a growing trend for the big tentpole movies. Lots of stuff that saw mediocre returns in the US made a killing overseas so, increasingly, the big movies are opening overseas first. That's apparently why Battleship opened in Europe first.

I wish I could remember the source of this info. Be pretty interesting if it's true.

Hope everyone is doing well. I've been trying to get my festival program ready for design and printing. I managed to increase our ad revenue this year (yay!) Work will be mayhem from now until June but so far, it's been the good kind of mayhem.

arizona, that story about your friend Med sounds so stressful. Your request for positive energy is received. It sounds like he deserves a very large break. I hope he gets it. Good luck with school!

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Apr 27, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

Wasn't there an Avengers movie a few years back with Ralph Fiennes? Or do we not speak of *that* :-)

I know I don't. I was one of the unfortunate few to pay money to see that opening night :(.

Good vibes to you & Med, arizona.

So, I'm working now, though definitely not in my chosen field. It's a start.

kwynne38

kwynne38

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:12 AM

That film of which isn't supposed to be mentioned was based on the TV Series but surely the film company doesn't think the British are so dumb to mistake it for the new one, but then again movie companies seem to think everyone is too dumb to even tie their own shoelaces heh.

ceindreadh

ceindreadh

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

I'll admit that when I first heard mention of an 'Avengers' movie, my mind *did* first go to the TV show before the Marvel comic.

belsum

belsum

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 10:08 PM

I have a six and a half year old boy so all I hear is "Mama, tell me about all the superheroes." "Which ones, honey?" "All of them." I may be a comic book chick but I'm still sorely unprepared for the magnitude of that task. I do the best I can. Not sure I'll take the Captain to see the Avengers though. If it's a Disney PG-13 then no worries but any other studio I'm not entirely sold it'll be OK for him.

I'm worried about my book club friend. First of all, I'm the youngest one there by decades and she's a billion years old but she's the kind of tough old broad you expect to last until the end of time. But today's book club session she was just "off". I'm hoping it's just a cold or a temporary funk or something but I emailed her friend to see if there's anything I can do.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 7:33 AM

There is an animated Avengers series on Netflix streaming, "The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes", which is pretty good and starts with 7 episodes worth of character origin stories before hitting the origin story of the Avengers. The storylines seem to be a mix of original arcs and material adapted from Marvel history. Iron Man is notably patterned after the movie version, minus the drinking and women. It's a successful show on Disney XD (usually a digital channel) that's into its 2nd season there. It's TV-Y7. Beware the other Avengers titles there though; one of them is the British Avengers movie.

Also been leafing through Chicks Dig Comics: A Celebration of Comic Books by the Women Who Love Them , a collection of essays.

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:52 PM

So, I'm a bad girl and have been torrenting "Game of Thrones" because I don't have cable (and therefore, no HBO). I got used to torrenting when I was in Hungary and they didn't really care about that sort of thing. Today, I got an email from my internet provider that HBO knows what I'm doing and they (my ISP) will cut off my internet if I don't stop torrenting. Yikes. I guess I should be glad HBO didn't send the cops. So I uninstalled my software and deleted everything, and now I have no way to watch GoT and must rely on the recaps to keep me up to date on what's going on. And buy S2 when it comes out (I'd do a season pass on iTunes, except HBO doesn't release the episodes to iTunes until the season is over, so I might as well just buy the DVDs). Guess it gives me an excuse to read the whole series now that I don't have to worry about spoiling myself for the show.

If it's a Disney PG-13 then no worries but any other studio I'm not entirely sold it'll be OK for him.

It's a JOSS WHEDON PG-13, which means at least one person who we know and care about will die, leaving us gaping at the screen, saying "WTF JUST HAPPENED?! I CAN'T BELIEVE [INSERT NAME] IS DEAD!!!".

I'm seeing it on Friday in 3D. I'm excited! And then seeing it again on Sunday with my sister's youth group.

xtreme

xtreme

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

You got that right Spork... it also thankfully means genre savvy levels of snark and female characters who don't just swoon and wait for their equivalent to Edward Cullen. The Nephew loved it.

belsum

belsum

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 1:35 PM

I actually got HBO for the first time in a decade specifically for Game of Thrones. I felt bad about torrenting the first season and with both of us working now we can actually afford it. I can cancel again after True Blood's season ends. Heh.

It's a JOSS WHEDON PG-13, which means at least one person who we know and care about will die

Ain't that the fuckin' truth.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

I've had HBO a couple of times, both free promotions with my cable contract. Fortunately, they came during shows I wanted to watch - Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

Food for thought: Joss Whedon was a writer on Toy Story.

And a good vibe into the universe for my friend going through so much right now.

Mack the Spoon

Mack the Spoon

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

I just realized it's been forever since I posted here. My motorcycle injuries are basically completely healed, although the bruise my right knee sustained must have been pretty serious because it's still there and still very occasionally hampering my movements. And yes, megs, next time I ride (which I have no idea when that will be, since I don't have access to a motorcycle right now) I will by all means where my helmet and closed-in shoes, as well as a long-sleeved jacket. Oh, and I feel your pain for missing having The West Wing to obsess over now that you've finished the marathon. If you haven't seen this Funny or Die West Wing reunion sketch maybe it will help a little. It's pretty amazing.

Good luck and de-stressing vibes to Med and to you, az.

I have no idea when I'll be seeing The Avengers and it's driving me a little crazy.

SHHHH & C to all.

megspenchant

megspenchant

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 5:46 AM

Oh, and I feel your pain for missing having The West Wing to obsess over now that you've finished the marathon. If you haven't seen this Funny or Die West Wing reunion sketch maybe it will help a little. It's pretty amazing.

Work is really wearing me down and I indulgently took 20 minutes out today to go for a lunch time walk to my favourite park just to be outdoors and clear my head. Walking is, and has always been my only form of exercise. At 7.30 tonight when I was still at work and read your post and then clicked on that link, West Wing PSA about the benefits of walking where Martin Sheen puts on his suit jacket much in the manner of how a superhero dons a cape was a bright reminder that instead of sitting at my desk on the brink of tears the simple act of moving can make some situations a whole lot better. I approve of the initiative. Thanks so much for posting the link Mack.

It's a JOSS WHEDON PG-13, which means at least one person who we know and care about will die

Ain't that the fuckin' truth.

Iím being a good girl and not providing any spoilers.
Spoiler

Mack the Spoon

Mack the Spoon

Stalker

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

You're very welcome, megs. I'm happy to spread the joy.

cacophony

cacophony

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

I'm sending my festival program to the printer tomorrow and am subsequently experiencing that special blurred vision that comes with staring at your computer screen for too long. I flat out hate the sight of this document right now. I'm hoping the feeling will go away by the time they come back from the printer.

Apart from feeling a touch overworked, life is moving along nicely. TV viewing is excellent between hockey playoffs, new Community and Parks & Rec. Not to mention Sherlock starting on PBS on Sunday. After a hectic workday, I find a few hours of couch potatoing is very therapeutic. Is there a job where I can watch television all day? I would be exceptional at that.

cc, I hope your friend is doing okay.

Heatherbelle

Heatherbelle

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 6:29 PM

I'm sending my festival program to the printer tomorrow and am subsequently experiencing that special blurred vision that comes with staring at your computer screen for too long. I flat out hate the sight of this document right now.

I'm writing text for two different exhibitions at the moment. I have brain strain...

Adararose

Adararose

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

Saw Avengers last night and
Spoiler
really enjoyed it.

Except for freakin' 3D. I have minimal depth perception anyway, so don't see much of the 3D in movies, but have to keep the damn glasses on or everything is blurry. And wearing the glasses OVER my glasses isn't particularly comfortable. Less so now, because my eyes are apparently (gasp) old enough to require some of them no-line bifocals, which means that for distance vision (like, say, from myself to the movie screen), I need to be using the top part of my glasses, which means I have to point my nose slightly downward, which means the damn 3D glasses will start strolling down my face. A lot of annoyance just so that "the car is coming is straight for me!" And this was some of that unnecessary-to-the-movie crappy 3D they added in post. I think it's all part of their secret plan to make me pony up another $14 to see it again in 2D as the Good Lord intended.

It's been a while, so I should probably report in: Job still busy; house still unpainted (but samples are all over the walls); cat still cute. (After years of doing nothing with it, she has finally discovered a small ball of yarn a friend once gave her. Or, more particularly, she's discovered The Art Of Decorating With Yarn. My living room looked like something out of Mission Impossible -- all criss-crossed with lines like some laser security system.) Taxes filed; refund received (and largely spent). Ski trip with the 5-year-old was fun. He skis about as well as I do, now. I may have to take another lesson so I am not so quickly surpassed. Oh! I'll be in London in just over two weeks, if anyone is up for tea. :)

TheSporkWielder

TheSporkWielder

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

Just saw "Avengers" last night (in IMAX 3-D, no less!) and HOLY COW IT WAS AWESOME. Admittedly, I'm fairly easy to please when it comes to superhero movies, and I would've liked it anyway, if only because, hey, it's full of hot guys in uniforms blowing shit up and beating the tar out of the bad guys. But it was actually a genuinely good film, smart and exciting and funny. (And,
Spoiler
) And now I kind of want Mark Ruffalo to make his OWN Hulk movie so I don't have to go, "But...but he looks like Edward Norton and then he looks like Mark Ruffalo and IT DOESN'T MATCH!!! [/OCD]"

I'm seeing it again tomorrow. Yay!

Edited by TheSporkWielder, May 5, 2012 @ 3:42 PM.

arizonamyrie

arizonamyrie

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

I want to see it soon too. A friend of mine from high school went with her husband and kids --- and they were all dressed up like characters from the movie. Very awesome! She went as Black Widow.

And it finally hit last night - in just over 24 hours I will write my last final exam of my undergraduate career as a nursing student. I graduate in less than a week! I can finally get a job!!!!! The hospital I want to work in has over 20 entry-level openings for nurses and continually has a few openings of some of the better positions. Here's hoping!

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:20 PM

Congrats, az!

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 5:58 AM

Still haven't seen Avengers. I wonder if Target restocked their DVDs of the relevant 'pre' movies. Those were good deals.

arizonamyrie

arizonamyrie

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

I passed Peds!!!!! I finished nursing school!!!! I finally have time for a life again! *hugs you all*

I found out late Tuesday night, so the excitement has at least calmed down past the "squee" of it all, then I realized I only told Med and my parents that I had passed (and a few people I saw when I went to vote that day - it was unofficial still). It was funny going out running into old teachers asking me what I was up to and saying "I just finished nursing school..." and using the literal meaning of it. I officially passed the class by five questions on the hardest test I've ever taken in my entire life.

With that, thank you guys for all the support the last several years. Ironically, part of what gave me the courage and attitude to stick to it and succeed was DW. A lot of it was people who were willing to sit back and tolerate my late night rants and raves. I don't feel guilty either about not having a job yet - I've spent the last 12 years in college and I want a vacation, even if it means sitting outside reading a book for a week (Hunger Games is top of my list, along with a nice stack about two feet high next to my bed).

Next step: take the NCLEX class, study, pass, look for work, marry Med, move to SC or wherever he ends up in his own job search.

SCHHHH everyone - and I'll share the chocolate gluten free cake with you all on Sunday.

megspenchant

megspenchant

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 5:01 AM

Well done and congratulations AZ. Time for you to take a much needed rest break, you certainly deserve it.

cacophony

cacophony

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

Congrats, AZ! Woo-hoo, in fact.

I still haven't seen Avengers either. Stupid Hollywood, releasing movies I want to see during my busy season. Although, based on sales, I'm sure it will be around for awhile.

Took a moment from my busy life to go to the ballet with my mom last night. I wasn't too enthusiastic about it going in but holy cow, it was good! Info here, if you're interested. Not for the first time, I stared at dancers executing incredible feats of strength as if it were nothing and thought, "how are they doing that?"

All I'm saying is, if you haven't seen a live dance performance recently, go. It will restore your soul.

Edited by cacophony, May 12, 2012 @ 1:16 PM.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 12:18 PM

Yay, AZ! Way to go! Virtual confetti and champagne.

Not for the first time, I stared at dancers executing incredible feats of strength as if it were nothing and thought, "how are they doing that?"

I have that experience weekly. I'm still taking ballet classes, but mostly for fun and exercise, considering I only started four years ago as an adult. When I get to class early, I'll watch one of the advanced classes -- the classes for the people who are heading toward a dance career -- through the studio windows, and although they're doing some of the same steps and exercises my class does, they do them at such a different level and make it look ridiculously easy. Since I do the same moves at a much lower level, I know exactly how hard it is, so I'm in absolute awe. Their bodies seem so thin and frail, but they're packed with sheer muscle.

belsum

belsum

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 8:57 PM

CONGRATULATIONS AZ! And...

I'll share the chocolate gluten free cake with you all on Sunday.

W00t!

Mack the Spoon

Mack the Spoon

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 3:00 AM

CONGRATS, AZ!!!! You deserve the break that makes you happy - sitting and reading sounds excellent to me. :)

WyKnott

WyKnott

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:13 AM

Congratulations, AZ!

arizonamyrie

arizonamyrie

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 5:22 PM

Thanks. I'll be able to take the break after Friday - I have an NCLEX prep class the rest of the week. Been trying to cram stuff in today in preparation for the class. I actually won the class back in February or so and absent-mindedly scheduled it for immediately after graduation. Hindsight, I really should have given myself the week off, but it will be good to get that portion of it done.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:23 PM

Ugh, almost puking up an antibiotic puts a downer on the evening.

peanutbunny

peanutbunny

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 8:54 PM

Hello, All. Long time lurker, rare poster, here. I've been reading through the last 15 or so pages, and you're an interesting bunch! I can see I'll learn a lot!

I discovered DW last year, while recovering from neurosurgery, and was immediately hooked. I caught an episode on tv, and promptly started marathon watching on Netflix. I had to rewatch several times, because I was on so many painkillers and muscle relaxants made following story lines very hard! The show really got me through some tough recovery times.

I'm currently working my way through the series again. I just finished Season 1. Not only is it helping me through incredibly boring work days (I work remotely, so work from home), it also helps me de-stress from wedding plans. My oldest son is getting married in about 4 weeks - and things are getting pretty tense all the way around.

So, I just wanted to say HI! and wish everyone well. :)