Meet Market in the TARDIS: SHHHH, LINDA

• Please log in to reply

33567 replies to this topic

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Moderator

Posted Mar 27, 2014 @ 1:31 PM

I'm so sorry. I had no idea this was coming.

With TWoP shutting down, please use the remaining time and this thread to figure out where you'll want to discuss the show after May 31. And everyone be respectful to NBC and the site in your posts, please. Thanks.

Glark

Glark

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 6:24 PM

Talky!

Jacob will be by later to add some threads and change area names and descriptions.

Please make sure you read the Doctor Who spoilery policy as this is a special case.

Enjoy!

Fnorder

Fnorder

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 6:55 PM

EXTERMINATE, guys.

EXTERMINATE.

jeet

jeet

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 6:58 PM

TwoP is going to be recapping Doctor Who?

Fantastic!

EllycatinOz

EllycatinOz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:00 PM

Welcome to the real world America! Lol! Oh boy oh boy oh boy! I love TWOP and love Doctor Who I am NEVER getting off TWOP ever again.

Ok wondering how many familiar people I will see?

PaddyofNine

PaddyofNine

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:03 PM

Okay, I suppose this makes up for TWOP cancelling my favourite read of last year, i.e. the snarkfest that was the ER recaps! Doctor Who on TWOP? I would never have though of it, and yet? Brilliant! I can't wait...

Fredericks

Fredericks

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:03 PM

W00t! Doctor Who recaps!!
Double w00t!! Jacob will be recapping!!

::dissolves into a puddle of happy::

I've actually never watched Who in any of its many versions, but I'm psyched about the Sci-Fi showings. This should be an excellent ride.

Edited by Fredericks, Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:04 PM.

wisteria

wisteria

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:08 PM

Sure, I picked up on Jacob's hints in this week's BSG recap, but I still shrieked in delight when I saw this.

And now for the thread-naming fun....

Edyn04

Edyn04

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:09 PM

I am so excited. When I heard Who was going to be showing on Sci Fi (I saw S1 last year through uh, other means), the first thing I thought was, "Ooh, I wonder if TWoP is going to recap this." So seeing it announced this afternoon was... fantastic.

Diana Delphi

Diana Delphi

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:12 PM

HrrrYAYYYYY!!!! Dr Who & TWoP, two great tastes that taste great together! And Jacob as a recapper, awesome! I love his BSG recaps.

I haven't had access to Dr Who since I was a kid- I can't wait to catch up!

jennblevins

jennblevins

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:14 PM

Thank you thank you thank you!

Though I am still somewhat irked about the DVDs being delayed.

scripted

scripted

Stalker

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:15 PM

I saw season one on CBC but I'm excited to watch the episodes again on SciFi. This is fantastic!

Late Lamented

Late Lamented

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:17 PM

Oh man, this is going to be so awesome. The only thing better than TWoP adding this show is knowing that Jacob will be recapping. Am I allowed to squee just a little bit?

Tirtzah

Tirtzah

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:29 PM

Ha! I'm squeeing a lot. Jacob doing the recaps is like the cherry on top of the, um, recap sunday. Hmm I lost the metaphor a little at the end there.

Fantastic news, I actually own the dvds of this season but I'm still really excited for it's US release. Now I'll have even more reason to look forward to it.

TheITG

TheITG

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:30 PM

I haven't seen Doctor Who in years and can't wait to start. And now - recaps by Jacob! Whoohoo! (How am I ever going to get any work done?)

hopping on the edge of my seat Okay, I'm ready for the show to start.

Crazyrach

Crazyrach

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:31 PM

Just two more weeks! I can not wait!

marya

marya

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:34 PM

So, I'm a sci-fi geek in many other ways, but I've never seen a single minute of Dr. Who. I know, sad. I'm also a little compulsive about seeing things in order. Should I see any previous incarnations of the show, or are they completely unrelated? When I go on Netflix I see many different doctors from many different decades. What gives?

Tirtzah

Tirtzah

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:40 PM

So, I'm a sci-fi geek in many other ways, but I've never seen a single minute of Dr. Who. I know, sad. I'm also a little compulsive about seeing things in order. Should I see any previous incarnations of the show, or are they completely unrelated? When I go on Netflix I see many different doctors from many different decades. What gives?

Well there's a lot that could be said on this but I'll make it straightforward. You do not need to know anything about previous Doctor Who in order to follow the new series. The original ran from 1963-1989, however everything you need to know is explained within the series. It might help you to have a general idea of the premise beforehand, but it's not essential. I watched the new series (ie. the episodes about to air on sci-fi) and had only seen the '96 movie of questionable validity before hand and I was able to follow the plot without too much explination.

I'm not sure the best place for a short summary but the biggest Doctor Who fan site is Outpost Gallifrey.

Aurelian

Aurelian

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:44 PM

Hey everyone. This is incredible. I never expected that TWoP would pick up Who, but it's a nice fit. Can't wait to see the recaps!

Minkey

Minkey

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:51 PM

Eek. So excited! The Dr. and TWOP will make a great combination.

FoolishWanderer

FoolishWanderer

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 8:13 PM

When I saw that Dr Who was being recapped, I got so happy and excited I had trouble breathing. This will be great! Marya, please post your reactions when you see the eps. I can't imagine watching the show through fresh eyes. I've been a fan my whole life, so I'm somewhat jaded.

Now it's a matter of thinking up witty names for the threads before anyone else. Damnit!

sleepyhippie

sleepyhippie

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 8:31 PM

You really don't need to have seen it before, I'm a UK resident so saw the first airings of this series as well as being a fan of old Doctor Who and its all self contained with lots of nods to the old episodes which are great if you know them. Previous incarnations are related, it is a continuation not a remake like the new Battlestar Galactica but I wouldn't worry about seeing them first. A lot of the really early stuff has been lost anyway.

It was originally conceived as an educational programme back in the day and has always been aimed at children (mostly to scare them) and the new series has young people in mind who may never have heard of 'Who' before. That said it is, like all good children's stories suitable for adults, with some very dark themes developed.

I have to say I loved this series and recommend it whole-heartedly to everyone. Don't expect hard sci-fi just an amazing adventure!

MisterZ

MisterZ

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 8:47 PM

Yay! (MisterZ does his happy dance) Doctor Who on TWoP! Two great tastes that taste great together!!

I've been a Who fan for ages, going back 20 years or more. At one point I had over 15 years' worth of episodes taped from Channel 21 on Long Island, although EWD made me get rid of them when we moved into the new place.

So, which Doctor is everyone's favorite? I actually prefer Colin Baker, and (believe it or not) can't stand Tom Baker at all.

Justin Cognito

Justin Cognito

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 8:52 PM

My reaction upon seeing this thread:

"Mmmmmmmmmmmm!"

My mouth was closed at the time, so a more accurate presentation may be:

"Squeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

HeadCase

HeadCase

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 9:01 PM

Yay! I really did not expect this and I squealed when I saw the news. Thank god I didn't check the forums one last time before leaving work otherwise I'd have embarrassed myself more than I normally do.

MisterZ

MisterZ

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 9:08 PM

I had a feeling we'd be seeing Who here since I asked Tubey whether TWoP was picking this up and he never answered.

rmiriam12

rmiriam12

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 9:15 PM

Yay! I really did not expect this and I squealed when I saw the news. Thank god I didn't check the forums one last time before leaving work otherwise I'd have embarrassed myself more than I normally do.

Me too! My coworkers were already confused by my Doctor Who ravings - now it will be compounded by the recap giggles that are sure to come. I have seen season 1 already, but cannot WAIT to see Doctor Who get the full TWoP and Jacob treatment. Cheers and thanks Tubey!

pinkmoon

pinkmoon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 9:22 PM

This makes me so happy!
I already saw series 1 but it will be awesome to read all the comments you guys will made. And, yay, Jacob! *squee*

Bayta

Bayta

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 9:24 PM

Well there's a lot that could be said on this but I'll make it straightforward. You do not need to know anything about previous Doctor Who in order to follow the new series.

Thanks so much for answering that question. I came here specifically to ask it. And I find out the lovely and talented Jacob is recapping? Oh Lawdy!

I'll be tuning in!

terebi

terebi

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 9:34 PM

This is going to be swell - and with the delicious flavor of Jacob, too! I have seen a bunch of Dr. Who - but I mean, seriously, NOTHING like real fans, especially not ones from the UK. I started watching at the tail end of Tom Baker way back in the day when it was on PBS where I grew up and have managed to catch stray episodes here and there for several Dr.s. (Dude, Peter Davidson! Snarky and handsome! Dressed for cricket!) but I've only seen a couple of story arcs all the way through. And I love Chris Eccleston - like, luh-huh-huh-huve him. It'll be nice to see him every week, and it'll prompt me to go rent eXistenZ, which I've been jonesing to watch again since the Jude Law Scandal.

I'm looking forward to something to replace the giant sucking chest wound left by BSG, both with the episodes and the recaps - and hey, now I'm satisfied. Now let's hope that the Curse of Dr. Who doesn't carry over into this broadcast - I'm notorious for falling asleep during them... oops... strange for a show I've loved since the first time I saw it, but the workings of the brain is a mystery.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 9:36 PM

Hey, a whole forum, how cool! Do we get to keep the old thread archived somewhere?

Edited: thanks Glark.

Edited by Promethea, Mar 3, 2006 @ 9:42 PM.