Little People Big World

• Please log in to reply

10857 replies to this topic

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 2:41 PM

DesiLu, now I'm crying again. Two of my 5 cats died in my arms this past year, and the vet bills practically bankrupted me, so I'm hyper-sensitive to Matt's attitude and his megalomania. Even Rocky's imminent (according to the DNA results and some quack vet's life expectancy projections) death is all about him. I want the Roloffs GONE from my TV, since I am apparently powerless to stop watching this dreck on my own.

ShelleySue

ShelleySue

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 3:10 PM

Sadly mollycoddle your husband is probably right. Or Jer would shot himself in the foot and they would all have to rush him to the hospital while the dog continues to suffer.

simpleHope, Jer wouldn't shoot himself, he'd end up shooting Jake. The last season can't go by without Jake ending up in the ER for something or another. It's a tradition, like Pumpkin Season.

Speaking of pumpkin season, some towns in Northern Maine close at potato harvesting time so that the kids can help with the harvest. I'm surprised Matt hasn't complained about the community college being biased against little people because they don't close for pumpking season (yes, it's convoluted, but so typical Matt reasoning).

For those of you who have lost pets, I'm sorry. We lost a valued member of our family Sunday morning. I DVRed LPBW, but didn't watch it yet because it's all still too painful for my family.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 3:20 PM

Jer wouldn't shoot himself, he'd end up shooting Jake. The last season can't go by without Jake ending up in the ER for something or another. It's a tradition, like Pumpkin Season.

Ha! I'd completely forgotten about this trend until you mentioned it, ShelleySue. We're really not seeing much of Jacob this season at all; I wonder if it's because he doesn't bring the drama. And please accept my sincere condolences for your recent loss; my thoughts are with you and I wish you comfort and peace.

King Of Pop

King Of Pop

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 3:46 PM

If Jeremy weren't so damned cute (even in hideous red-jeans), I would have given up on this boring show years ago. Damn you, Jeremy!!!

klopez3709

klopez3709

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 4:44 PM

We put down our dear little 18-year-old terrier mix this year and this episode more than hit home. We however, did not drag her in the car by the scruff of her neck or pay someone to tell us her life-span. I don't know how the show aired Matt's wish to do the deed himself or if it was "God-forbid" scripted.

I'm glad the days are ending for this farce of a show.

DesiLu

DesiLu

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 4:53 PM

klopez, I'm so, so sorry to hear about your loss.

Gorn

Gorn

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 4:56 PM

Did they actually not know what kind of dog Rocky is? Someone had to tell them? Have they never bothered to familiarize themselves with anything about what kind of animal he is and what his needs might be? How long he could be expected to live? Health problems that he might experience? They vet seemed to have never seen him before.

Don't even get me started about Jeremy dragging the poor old pup over to get his medicine instead of bringing it to him and the constant smacking of his rump. That must have hurt him so much. I am changing my wish that Matt falls into the wood chipper to Rocky goes crazy and tears his throat out with one big bite. That poor, sweet old dog deserves so much better.

DesiLu

DesiLu

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 5:06 PM

I was pissed at that too Gorn. Is that family so damn lazy that they couldn't have taken the pill to Rocky instead of the poor thing being dragged to the pill?

livinggreen

livinggreen

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 5:21 PM

Could this entire "shoot Rocky" thing be scripted for ratings?

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 5:29 PM

I don't care if it was scripted. What pet owner would even joke about something like that? Makes me want to take Matt out back and shoot him (and I am not a violent person).

Stonefences

Stonefences

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 5:53 PM

Livinggreen, I agree. Rocky is alive and walking around Roloff farm with thousands of tourists this month. Matt says Rocky has made a great recovery and is back to chasing skunks around.

Funny how whenever they are criticized for fake drama, Matt always seems to say that whatever the problem was miraculously is all better and everything is happy and good now.

Inessence

Inessence

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 5:53 PM

Since last night's episode footage is probably months old by now, here is Matt's blurb on Facebook from yesterday--

Matt Roloff: Tonight... my very favorite episode! They've been working on collecting footage for this show since forever. Thank goodness the Rock is alive and well even though he went through a real rough spell. The injections and meds even have him back outside the house again playing with the skunks. Just like old times :)).

pdiddyduf

pdiddyduf

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 5:56 PM

What is wrong with this family? TONS!

1. They don't know what kind of dog Rocky is, yet it's pretty clear that he's a Bullmastiff, and I believe they've had him since puppyhood.
2. They don't know that 100 pound dogs don't live past 9-ish years??? My 8 year old child knows that.
3. Matt Roloff somehow thinks subjecting his son to shooting their "beloved" pet is somehow more humane than euthanasia. Old Yeller is a SAD movie Matt, the people in the film were not thrilled to be shooting their dog. This man is beyond IGNORANT!
4. Let's make a dog who can barely walk jump into a car, and he better come running when Matt belows from his office!
5. Molly, that is not the way you introduce cats. I hope Spike is neutered and that's not one of his kittens...

I can't believe the break out star of this show, Rocky, has to be disrespected in his last days like this. Old dogs deserve some dignity. Shame on you Roloffs! The end of this show can't come quick enough.

Also, to those of you who have recently lost pets, the book "Old Dogs are the Best Dogs" is really cute and comforting.

Gorn

Gorn

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 6:01 PM

It is nice to hear Rocky is doing better. Perhaps if they had been taking him in for regular vet visits (and it does not look like they've been doing that) the vet could have diagnosed him with developing arthritis a long time ago and treated him, sparing him the pain and deterioration he's been going through.

They don't know what kind of dog Rocky is, yet it's pretty clear that he's a Bullmastiff, and I believe they've had him since puppyhood.

I find this very hard to believe, but then I remember the pack of morons we are talking about and it seems much more plausible.

FlockRapid

FlockRapid

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 6:10 PM

I've seen that suggested in a couple places, that it was a scripted storyline executed to get attention to the show.

Whatever. Either Matt is a liar and the show is scripted, or he's a douche bag who takes the word of a quack over his regular vet and wants his dog to be shot to death by his moronic son.

Not all publicity is good publicity. Matt thinks its appropriate to shoot a dog, a dog whose only health issue appears to be getting old. Matt's not destitute, and if its not an emergency situation (dog hit by car, too badly injured too survive,hunting accident, etc) then why oh why would anyone want their last memory of their pet to be shooting it?

I mean sure, Matt Roloff won't be the one cleaning up the blood afterward, but if it makes him think his dick is bigger, then I am certain he'll have his fucking way.

My only real fear is that by discussing this episode we're pretty much guaranteeing he's going to put the dog down this way just to show us all how big his cock is.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 6:18 PM

Matt moaning about no one giving him unconditional love while he's planning on shooting the creature giving him unconditional love is just such a perfect example of why I hate the bastard. Everything is always, always about him, how hard it is for him, even while he's inflicting misery on someone else. It's so hard for him to be an asshole! Why doesn't anyone understand that?!

I'm not a hugely soft touch when it comes to animals. I've had a few I loved more than life (I still cry my eyes out thinking of the last cat I lost, or my pony, both of whom died a few years ago), but most of my pets are companions who, while very much loved, are critters whose short lifespans I'm aware of and whose deaths don't devastate me. But fucking hell, it's just cruel to force your son to shoot your dog in the head. It's a horrible way to go if you don't get it right (and let's face it, Jeremy's not a rocket scientist), it's cruel to try to force your son to shoot his childhood dog, and it's fucking demented to do it all while wailing that it's so hard for you.

I suspect he just wants another story to tell, another chapter for the book he's no doubt going to write when the TV gravy train rolls to a stop. Matt just sees every other living thing on this planet as a means to HIS end. I dislike all of the Roloff boys (I still have some respect for Amy, and Molly's the only one with half a brain) but damn do I feel badly for them, growing up with a father who sees them as props, rather than people.

As I said, I'm not that big a softie when it comes to animals, but Matt, if you don't want to deal with your dog's inevitable aging, ship him to me. I spent years caring for a blind, senile, arthritic, seizure-prone (I mean the dog would fall over in a shuddering heap every few minutes if the sunlight hit her wrong...driving was the worst, the sun through the trees), incontinent geriatric dog (and she wasn't even my dog!), living in a freaking walk-up apartment building (naturally she couldn't do stairs, so I carried her). I'm pretty sure I can handle poor old Rocky's creaky joints without feeling the need to shoot him to spare myself the trauma of watching him limp a little, you selfish fuck.

Edited by McKay, Oct 19, 2010 @ 6:25 PM.

Gorn

Gorn

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 6:21 PM

The dog obviously has arthritis in his backside so that much is real. I wish I would believe Matt's solution was all made up for the cameras (although god knows why anyone would think it was something that would attract viewers ... personally I am repelled beyond description by the whole thing). But is just seems like such a typically assholish Matt Roloff way of doing things, right down to part of having the Golden Boy be the one who pulls the trigger .... I don't know. It totally seems like something Matt would come up with.

Either way - real or scripted - it was a bullshit idea, both as a solution to the issues posed by an aging dog and as a means to build interest in the show. I don't ever want to watch again. Not even to hate on the Roloffs (which was the only reason I watched for several seasons now). I actually hate them too much to even snark on them decently. If it was just a stunt it was a very stupid one and they took it way WAY too far.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 6:59 PM

As I said, I'm not that big a softie when it comes to animals, but Matt, if you don't want to deal with your dog's inevitable aging, ship him to me. I spent years caring for a blind, senile, arthritic, seizure-prone (I mean the dog would fall over in a shuddering heap every few minutes if the sunlight hit her wrong...driving was the worst, the sun through the trees), incontinent geriatric dog (and she wasn't even my dog!), living in a freaking walk-up apartment building (naturally she couldn't do stairs, so I carried her). I'm pretty sure I can handle poor old Rocky's creaky joints without feeling the need to shoot him to spare myself the trauma of watching him limp a little, you selfish fuck.

McKay: did you ever know that you're my hero ...? [/channeling Bette Midler] I'm on board the "Free Rocky" train. All the Roloff's animals deserve better.

If this was scripted, I hope the backlash against the Roloffs, and especially TLC, is swift and deadly.

My heart goes out to everyone who's suffered a loss. I am truly heartened by the sincere compassion and sympathy my fellow posters have expressed here. It would seem that we have one topic that's virtually bulletproof from the snarkdom. Congratulations, Rocky - you've accomplished the impossible, melting our cynical, jaded black hearts! lol

edmonds

edmonds

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 7:25 PM

Matt moaning about no one giving him unconditional love while he's planning on shooting the creature giving him unconditional love is just such a perfect example of why I hate the bastard. Everything is always, always about him, how hard it is for him, even while he's inflicting misery on someone else.

I had similar thoughts about the situation. Matt is complaining about Rocky's unconditional love being gone while at the same time planning the poor dog's execution so he can sit there watching it happen.

I truly cannot fathom why anyone would even think for a minute of taking a poor old dog out and shooting him with a gun. They do NOT live on a farm or in a rural area where that kind of thing 'might' be considered normal. Any suggestion that it would cost too much to have a vet do the job for them is ludicrous. When you think Matt Roloff cannot stoop any lower, he shows us that unfortunately there is still plenty of room for him to keep going on his downward spiral......

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 7:39 PM

McKay: did you ever know that you're my hero ...? [/channeling Bette Midler] I'm on board the "Free Rocky" train. All the Roloff's animals deserve better.

Hee! I fully admit that did it grudgingly (and with help!), which is kind of my point. No one LIKES taking care of sick or aging animals when they're closing in on the end. It's sad, it's inconvenient, and it often leads to a whole lot of pee where you don't want pee to be. But you do it because it's what you entered into when you said "I want to take that cute puppy home and play with it and be the center of its world." You don't do it because it's fun to clean up after them and watch them deteriorate and medicate them. You do it because you owe it to them.

But then, this is Matt. Sometimes I'm surprised he hasn't taken Zach out back and shot him.

Jacobi

Jacobi

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 8:40 PM

I agree with everything everyone's said.....can't believe Matt called this "his VERY favorite episode."
Is he f-ing serious???

When he started talking about shooting Rocky "like in 'Old Yeller.'" I had visions of Matt thinking that his "actor" son Jer would be PERFECT in a remake, now that he's a seasoned artiste and all...

"But instead of acting, we REALLY kill a dog!"

Worthless jerk.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 10:44 PM

I truly cannot fathom why anyone would even think for a minute of taking a poor old dog out and shooting him with a gun. They do NOT live on a farm or in a rural area where that kind of thing 'might' be considered normal. Any suggestion that it would cost too much to have a vet do the job for them is ludicrous.

The more I think about it, the more my mind is blown, and I can't quite wrap my mind around it, either. They are not hours away from the nearest vet. It is not an emergency situation where letting the dog suffer for even minutes more would be cruel. Flush with years worth of TLC money, they are not unable to afford euthanasia (regardless, it's not that expensive, and, incidentally, Matt, those of us who have a regular vet because we provide our pets with comprehensive medical care often don't pay at all, unless we opt for additional expenses such as cremation). There is absolutely nothing creating a situation in which shooting the dog would constitute the most humane option.

I've had two cats put to sleep, have stayed with both of them while it was done, and will do the same for any and all cats for whom such is necessary in the future. It's difficult to subject oneself to the memory of a pet's moment of passing, but worth it a thousand times over for seeing how peaceful the end is (may such an ending be available to me when it's my turn). It's the ultimate final gift to a companion who has provided years of that unconditional love about which Matt rhapsodized. To even consider, let alone exalt, opting - again, for no reason - to instead send one's near-incompetent son to (attempt to) SHOOT THE FAMILY DOG is beyond my comprehension.

Edited by Bastet Esq, Oct 19, 2010 @ 10:45 PM.

snarkopolis

snarkopolis

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 10:46 PM

Why don't we just take Matt (by the collar) out and do him in?

goldensglitter

goldensglitter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2010 @ 10:53 PM

Or how bout putting an electronic barking collar around Matt's neck, then get Rocky barking really hot and heavy, just like the dorito's superbowl commercial! I would love to see Matt squirm on the ground!

I DVR'd the epi, I think I will delete it, since I am a animal lover, I don't think I could bear watching it. I just spent a kings ransom on my golden that has lymphoma on chemo treatments. He just finished and is doing terrific. So y'all know how I feel about Matt's behavior to Rocky.

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 12:08 AM

I've had two cats put to sleep, have stayed with both of them while it was done, and will do the same for any and all cats for whom such is necessary in the future. It's difficult to subject oneself to the memory of a pet's moment of passing, but worth it a thousand times over for seeing how peaceful the end is (may such an ending be available to me when it's my turn). It's the ultimate final gift to a companion who has provided years of that unconditional love about which Matt rhapsodized. To even consider, let alone exalt, opting - again, for no reason - to instead send one's near-incompetent son to (attempt to) SHOOT THE FAMILY DOG is beyond my comprehension.

Thank you, Bastet Esq. Exactly. I have had to put down four cats and the three who own me right now will have me next to them until their last breaths if it comes to that. Matt Roloff is an idiotic ass with a Napoleon complex and I agree with all those who suggest taking his narcissistic waste of skin self out and shooting him to see how he likes it.

And I'm not even a dog person but I'll take Rocky as well as those poor kitties. I've given sub-cutaneous fluids to two kitties to keep them more comfortable and I think I could get my butt off my chair to give Rocky his meds. You do not call an animal to you to do something that the animal will find highly unpleasant! You get off your lazy ass and give them what they need with love. Of course, Rocky would have to have a mirrored surface for Matt Roloff to feel any love.

I don't remember the last show that has made me this angry.

steff t

steff t

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 1:32 AM

I finally watched the episode tonight, and my hate for Matt now rivals my hate for Amber from Teen Mom and Kate Gosselin. He's a selfish, greedy little weasel of a man. Ruining his family while he skips along his merry Matt path. To even think about having your child shoot his childhood pet is so beyond repulsive, I can't even find words. I had a cat for 20 years, it got to where I knew she had to be put out of her misery. I made the appt for a Monday to spend one last weekend with her. It wasn't never about ME ME ME, but about her and how much I loved her thru her entire life. She was there longer than my hubby, my brothers never remember a time without her. It was heartbreaking to all of us. I firmly believe she did me a favor by going on her own 2 hours before her vet appointment with all of us around her to say goodbye. Rocky should have that same dignity and show of love for all he's given to that family. Not to be taken out in the woods and shot by a family member. And then of course, be added to the $300 tour. "here's where we put Rocky down and his grave. We plan to bury all the family pets here whether they are ready or not". God he makes me sick and makes my skin crawl. Thank God for Amy and a rare FIRM voice of reason on what would or wouldn't be done, just please stick to it. I wish tweedle dee and tweedle dumb (Jer & Zak) had also refused it just as firmly.

bgcasey06

bgcasey06

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 2:24 AM

The more I think about it, the more my mind is blown, and I can't quite wrap my mind around it, either. They are not hours away from the nearest vet. It is not an emergency situation where letting the dog suffer for even minutes more would be cruel. Flush with years worth of TLC money, they are not unable to afford euthanasia (regardless, it's not that expensive, and, incidentally, Matt, those of us who have a regular vet because we provide our pets with comprehensive medical care often don't pay at all, unless we opt for additional expenses such as cremation). There is absolutely nothing creating a situation in which shooting the dog would constitute the most humane option.

The "it's too expensive" thing is such bullshit!! I had to put my beloved 19 year old cocker down last year and it was $45 (plus another $100 to get a private cremation). All the TLC money, plus $300 for a pumpkin patch tour with Jeremy and they don't have the money to give Rocky a dignified send off? Total bullshit. When you love an animal you do things for them, even unpleasant things like administering meds and paying for euthanasia. Seriously, Rocky can come live out his last days here--I don't think pet care will ever be as challenging as the last 3 years of my cats life when we had to enema her weekly. Nothing Rocky needs will ever be that bad. Matt Roloff is just too much of a narcissistic prick to ever care about something other than himself (and of course Jeremy who us just an extension of Matt)!

OoogleEyes

OoogleEyes

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 9:40 AM

and it often leads to a whole lot of pee where you don't want pee to be.

Like in the corner of your bedroom? I was switching through the channels while getting ready for work this morning and came upon that episode where the twins were "cleaning" that pig sty of a room, and Zach stated that he peed in the corner of their room because he was afraid to go the the bathroom in the middle of the night! In retrospect, I can't say that I blame him too much. Who knows what is lurking in/under/behind all of that trash in the house?

I think Matt's next big idea will be an episode of Little People, Big Horders.

To all of you who have lost pets, my sympathies. I've lost a few in my lifetime due to old age, and each one was heartbreaking. Fortunately, I was able to hold each one in my arms as they peacefully drifted off, and know that I was able to give them all a pretty darned good life.

Edited by OoogleEyes, Oct 20, 2010 @ 9:43 AM.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 11:14 AM

Rocky would have to have a mirrored surface for Matt Roloff to feel any love.

So true. So true. If I was Amy, I wouldn't leave Rocky alone with Matt and Jeremy.

gardengran

gardengran

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 20, 2010 @ 11:57 AM

why oh why would anyone want their last memory of their pet to be shooting it?

What if Matt is really mad at TLC because they cancelled him? What if he's just being outrageous on purpose?

Or maybe he is intrigued with the sheer drama of shooting Old Rocky (well, not him--he just gets to watch and tell Jeremy exactly what to do and what he's doing wrong).

Or maybe he was trying to irritate Amy.

I give up. His reasoning is totally confusing to me.

Euthanasia for pets is gentle and inexpensive--$40 to $100 or so. Some vet offices even provide rocking chairs for pet owners to hold their pets.
Some vets--ours do--will come to the house to avoid putting the pet through a painful trip. Ours even tenderly carried our newfoundland to his prepared back yard gravesite.

Why on earth would Matt think that shooting Rocky would be more humane?

Maybe he just wasn't thinking at all, just blathering.