2-17: "Dwight's Speech" 2006.03.02

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

346 replies to this topic

MikeyMo

MikeyMo

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:08 PM

From NBC:

When Dwight, who has a fear of public speaking, is asked to give a speech at a sales convention, he turns to Michael for help.

Just perfect. I'm so glad this show is back. Dwight tackling Ryan in the teaser just told me that this one was going to be good.

Dwight's announcement was great. Traffic accident, flipped cars, Brad Pitt. "He will never act again."

It was so in-character for Michael to be such a bastard about Dwight's public speaking. The whole episode he tried to poke holes in Dwight's confidence, and when he does well in spite of Michael, he bails to the bar. Then ignores the speech in order to ramble on. Did I mention the perfect? "I captivated the guy who captivated a thousand guys. Think about it. A thousand guys."

A very nice setup for his ultimate of cringe-worthy performances (worse than Dundee or Improv, even!) - and Dwight! OH!MY!GOD! He was so good and spastic and over-the-top! So Perfectly Dwight!

Angela's farewell exchange to Dwight was awesome, and the best was the shot to Pam (and back to Angela) afterward. It was so sweet of Angela to play hooky from work to support her man.

Jim/Pam. Sigh. I've found that I don't really need a lot to keep me going in that respect, which is nice. Draw it out.

Edited by MikeyMo, Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:13 PM.

hello kitty

hello kitty

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:11 PM

I have to say this wasn't my favorite. Probably my least actually. Maybe I need to rewatch. Just seemed like too much was stuffed in, too fast paced. They lost me at Dwights speech.

I loved the "announcements" though, and "failure."

beanbean

beanbean

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:11 PM

Oh wow, Dwight's speech was just hilarious. I don't think Mussolini would ever have predicted this.

The Jim's trip moments were just heartbreaking.

The most random moment was when Creed started saying hi to his friends in Hong Kong in Chinese. I couldn't stop laughing.

interestingname

interestingname

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:13 PM

Oh man, how much did I enjoy that?? The football scene will be watched about twenty times in a row as soon as I can get in on ITunes.

A REALLY good episode for the tertiary characters in the office, I think there was an awesome balance of the main plot with Dwight, the Jim and Pam angsty travel/wedding plans, and basic office nightmares. I have seen people pull that thermometer trick. Sneaky punks!

I think the Kelly and Ryan thing is pretty interesting, although not exactly bringing out the best in Ryan, huh? I LOVE that people in the Office are starting to be a little bit more blunt to Pam about the Jim situation. Something or someone needs to force that girl to confront her feelings, and if Angela is the one to do it, I think my life will be complete.

Is it wrong that I want Jim to get to go to Australia? I DON'T want that wedding to happen, but should he really have to sit in the back of the church looking heartbroken if it does? Nuts to that, he could go surfing or something, and then come back to find out she cancelled. "Non-refundable ticket" he said. Zounds.

I love this show.

lith4

lith4

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:15 PM

Loved the thermostat battle. So true at my last office. So did Oscar have it at his perfered temperature to concentrate effectively only to be playing Solitaire? Or was it changed by Kevin before that?

Creed saying hello to his friends in China. Too funny.

How sweet was it for Angela to sick time off for Dwight. Considering her reaction to Oscar taking a sick day for Spring Cleaning, it spoke volumes.

Edited by lith4, Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:16 PM.

bornslippy

bornslippy

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:15 PM

Oh 'The Office,' how I've missed thee.

This ep had me cheesing so hard, my cheeks hurt.

Loved Jim's public speaking advice.

Sick as it is, Dwangela has a real sweetness to it.

Electric Sock

Electric Sock

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:17 PM

Ahh, Jim. If he ends up going on his trip, then I place my bets on him coming back to an unmarried Pam..

Interesting stuff with Ryan and Kelly. I am really interested in this possible ship, just because I like both the characters a lot. They're polar opposites. And speaking of ships, how cute was it that Angela played hooky to go support Dwight? Hee, hiding in the back with the bucket hat and video camera. His speech, obviously, was insane. But funny.

The running gag with the thermostat was pretty funny to me also. Kevin's "I like to set it at 69" and giggle cracked me up. As did Oscar's "I don't care" thing.

So glad to have this show back!

SailingGuy

SailingGuy

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:16 PM

So, ham and cheese boy (even ordered it at Hooters) Jim is leaving two days before the wedding. So, what 'when' are we in Office world? I am feeling a late march vibe, just with the timing of the vacation with flight dates and all. Of course, I am also picking up some serious blips on my passive-aggressive sonar; but it might just be me.

Welcome Back, and welcome. Funny, I wanted to major in public speaking, but wound up with Government. Hyuh

ETA to say "Nee Hao" Yall. Forgot about Creed; yeah his accent was good.

Edited by SailingGuy, Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:20 PM.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

How great is Creed?
"I want to say hello to me friends in China..."

Dwight not only wins the award for salesman of the year, but for strangest acceptance speech.

I've been in one of those thermostat wars - one woman who is always too cold. I always want to just say "Put on a sweater..."

The Jim/Pam scenes were perferct. The banter about his vacation, his trying to avoid hearing her wedding planning, and of course the look on Pam's face when she realizes Jim would rather leave the country than be there when she gets married.

Our show is back!

honestlypeople

honestlypeople

Channel Surfer

Didn't see this thread! Oops, maybe the moderator can delete my "fake" thread.

I liked this episode a great deal,though I have a strong feeling other fans will hate it. I love that Jim is actually trying to get over Pam. The great thing about this show, versus, say, "Friends", is that unlike on that show - where we constantly saw Ross moaning and whimpering about how much he loved Rachel - here, Jim has more dignity. Yeah, it's a documentary, but that kind of reserve and longing is so much more likable and REAL than the other crap. The ticket on the 8th of June was so poetic that way. Mostly trying to move on, with just a little tiny bit of "screw you for not realizing how great I am" too.

That said, the Dwight's speech part was kind of strange. I loved it, personally, the Mussolini-esque Dwight is great! But why would the AUDIENCE be whole hog about it? I didn't get or like that. I don't mind seeing Dwight succeed, but not if it's totally unbelievable. Was it just me or was he ranting like a madman?

Dwight was very sweet in this episode though. I bet "Mrs. Schrute" will love that!

Edited by honestlypeople, Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:17 PM.

beanbean

beanbean

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:19 PM

That said, the Dwight's speech part was kind of strange. I loved it, personally, the Mussolini-esque Dwight is great! But why would the AUDIENCE be whole hog about it?

I wouldn't have expected that response either, but I'd say Michael having gone before him probably helped. That and the fist-pumping and podium-slamming. Hilarious.

Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:20 PM

"What's the difference between a salesman and a saleswoman?"
"A saleswoman has a vagina!"

Damn, I missed this show. A lot of character depth was added to Jim tonight -- it's nice to see him as an Everyman with Problems, rather than Mr. Perfect.

Dwight viciously tackling Ryan at the start was absolutely hilarious.

And Creed's shout-out to his Hong Kong homies? Glorious!

Foxy Carmichel

Foxy Carmichel

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:20 PM

I loved this episode! Go Jim for finally having the balls to do something without Pam! Now if he just gets back together with Katie, we got ourselves a big tough cutie pie!

Is it just me or is Dwight (Rain Wilson) getting really thin? He and MIchael looked like shadows of their season one selves!

Don't go hollywood, boys!

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:21 PM

Sorry, duplicate...

Edited by moose135, Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:34 PM.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:22 PM

Loved the thermostat battle.

That was my favorite part.

moose135

moose135

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:24 PM

Oops, duplicate post - sorry

Edited by moose135, Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:28 PM.

nodirectionhome

nodirectionhome

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:25 PM

Yes, he was ranting like a madman, but these are salesmen (and women) who are used to getting pumped up by Tony Robbins type motivational speakers. The scary/funny thing is that, with the exception of a few random phrases like "A revolution that cannot defend itself does not deserve to survive!", there aren't that many differences between Mussolini and your average motivational speaker. Poor Benny, born too soon...

DesertSquirrel

DesertSquirrel

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:26 PM

Did anyone else have this episode pre-empted for them. I sat down w/ a buddy to watch the show and right after Earl, some screen came up and said "The office is running late tonight, remember to set your TIVOs for 1:35 AM". What followed was a infomercial for "American Baby" Magazine

Mrs. Schrute

Mrs. Schrute

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:25 PM

I agree, the thermostat stuff was priceless. So true.

honestlypeople, you are right. I am over the moon for my Dwighteykins. Okay that was gross for even me.

Rainn Wilson is a genius. When he was panting on the podium, I nearly died then and there. And when he was being sweet to Michael...awwww. But the best part, hands down, is the Brad Pitt stuff. And the pounding of the desk.

EMMYS!

eagle

eagle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:26 PM

Ah, so we get a deeper glimpse into Kelly's character. "This is totally karma for what he did to Jennifer Aniston!" I bet you she buys those $1.99 shiny tabloid magazines that rotate covers between Brangelina and the Simpson-Lachey breakup.

Loved Ryan's "I know what I said" He is ruthlessly trying to send Kelly a message. For a minute there I thought he was going to come back with something a little more personal when he cut off Pam's "You could be nicer. You know she-". Someone should call Pam on what she's putting Jim through.

Pam's face when Jim told her the date of his vacation! Eeee! Her face completely fell.

sordidheart88

sordidheart88

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:28 PM

"He will never act again."

It's official. I've gone from being just a casual viewer to being completely in love with this show.

...And Creed. I mean he speaks fluent chinese! How awesome is that!?

Edited by sordidheart88, Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:29 PM.

mharvey816

mharvey816

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:29 PM

I always love that even when Ryan is barely in an ep, he still gets off a great line or two. Tonight's "I know what I said" to Pam was perfection. And I loved him pointing out what we should have noticed all along, i.e. Jim eating ham and cheese sandwiches every day of his life. Heh. I heart BJ Novak.

Edited by mharvey816, Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:30 PM.

Mean Mr Mustard

Mean Mr Mustard

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:28 PM

The thermostat was so sad, yet so true.

And executive-suit-wearing Kelly? Hot!

Mibbitmaker

Mibbitmaker

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:31 PM

Well, Dwight's speech, being cribbed from the world's biggest dictators (not just Mussolini, there was some Communist rhetoric redirected to the subject of sales, too), who were masters at demagoguery, makes sense it would rouse the rabble. I see that less as unbelievable than a satire. Clueless as he is, there's alittle touch of the fascist bubbling underneath.

Other neat bits... when Pam was talking about the wedding in the conference room, Jim was clearly in the shot and I think we saw just them at the critical moment. And I loved the mention of karma; that was a nice shout out to the lead in, MNiE.

I agree we'll possibly see Jim return from his trip to find an unmarried Pam. I wonder if his return will end the season, with Pam's status not revealed until September?

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:33 PM

"Cancel the wallpaper."
-that cracked me up because it was muttered quickly. Poor Stanley.

The Jim+Pam moment about Australia was quite interesting. I liked that Jim sort of snuck in the fact that the ticket was non-refundable. There's no going back for Jim. He's leaving and he's not going to witness Pam marry someone that isn't him. Pam's face was awful, she was so disappointed and had to know why he was leaving. Pam? That crush--not really over!

"The very best of luck to you Dwight."
"Thank you Angela."
--awwwww.

Kevin and his 69 degrees. Heh. It's the little smirk that sells it.

Did anyone catch that inside Michael's cabinet he had a framed picture of Jan from the Dunder Mifflin newsletter. It's like his locker.

I completely forgot about the opening football scene. When Dwigt tackled Ryan, then Creed and pushes Stanley--I was just dying. It was so insane.

Edited by oakgal, Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:41 PM.

honestlypeople

honestlypeople

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:34 PM

Oh! Two last things. (Sorry moderators, I apologize for double-posting. Do what you will to me...)

-Creed is truly becoming one of the great side characters, up there with Stanley. He's a real original for t.v., isn't he? I hope we keep getting small, bizarre doses of him in the future. He could become cult-hit!

-I love me some Pam, but boy was I happy to see her get a spoonful of her own medicine tonight. Jenna acts great when she "wants something but can't have it", like in this episode. That's brilliant writing - just when Jim's a wuss, he knocks us with some maturity. Keeps us guessing!

-I keep vacillating on Ryan, but this episode was a real indictment of him, huh? He used to be polite when annoyed (think "Fire") but now I really can't stand the guy. I mean, why make him downright mean to the increasingly sweet and cute Kelly? I mean, why give her the "karma for Jennifer Aniston" line, the best line in the funniest scene, and then make one of the leads be so cruel to her? It's so unlikable. My wife was incredibly turned off. You'd think they'd have made Kelly more crazy or not wear her prettiest outfit? It could be because I'm protective of the gal (she and Jan are my two "hotties" as my sons would say)

I know there are theories that they are writing B.J. out so he can focus on writing... but he didn't mention that in the interview. Could that be the reason?

eagle

eagle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:36 PM

And executive-suit-wearing Kelly? Hot!

Yes! She looked so cute. Another thing that's true to office life. You get stuck in a boring fashion rut until a cute new guy catches your eye at work and suddenly you put some effort into your outfits. She was rockin' that suit and hairdo.

I liked how Dwight was staring at his bobblehead as he tried to summon up some courage. Oh, and how Angela felt the need to wear a hat while filming the speech. Obviously, she could have stood there naked and Michael wouldn't have noticed, so intent was he on getting out once he saw Dwight's speech was going to be a success.

ETA: That shot of all the Dunder-Mifflinites celebrating their bonuses was almost surreal. Was anyone else extremely weirded out to see so many of them ecstatic at the same time? Stanley...leaned over...high-fived someone. Damn.

Edited by eagle, Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:40 PM.

George Jorge

George Jorge

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:42 PM

Oh man, Rainn Wilson is as good as it gets, isn't he?
I will add an extra "n" to my words from now on in honor of him.

best line: "He'll never act again."

But besides Rainn kicking major ass...yeah, this episode was weird because it wasn't an all joke fest like "Diversity Day" or "The Injury" but it also wasn't like "Booze Cruise" with a strong emotional element. The only thing emotional was Ryan being cruel to Kelly. And that really sucked. I mean, the acting was fine and stuff, but it was like, who wants to watch this arrogant guy be mean to a perfectly innocent and pretty girl? It didn't even make sense because they didn't make Kelly annoying at all. Just super hot (what's up with that new Kelly hair??? Smokin'!!)

I wonder if you are right, honestlypeople? They want B.J. out?

I do love the Jim moments. That dude is so solitary and melancholy. I kinda thought: "Wow, what was his life before he had this camera crew to interact with?". I truly hope he goes abroad, though the sitcoms-usually-sell-out cynic side of me says he'll run back from teh airport last minute and save Pam from the evil Roy. We'll see.

atlpeach

atlpeach

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:46 PM

"I know what I said". Harsh. I cringed.

But if Ryan's intention was to eliminate any feeling of hope Kelly may have been holding onto after the pre-Valentine's Day hookup, then that was definitely a way to do it. He probably thought a nice letdown wouldn't work with her.

Cruel but clear. I may not of liked it but I can't argue with the results. Poor Kelly.

Oh, my love for Stanley knows no bounds. "Cancel the wallpaper". Love him...

anonymous

anonymous

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:48 PM

Did anyone else think that when Jim said, "Can I go?" to Michael in the conference room that he was just going to walk out the door? (That's what I would have done.)