Future Challenge Ideas

• Please log in to reply

316 replies to this topic

swanpride

swanpride

Fanatic

Posted Sep 4, 2011 @ 11:57 AM

I always love those challenge in which they have to dress real people. I think you see much more about their abilities if they have to dress less than perfect models.

I also love clothes which can change. Doesn't have to be day to evening wear (they make this nearly every season), just something which changes.

Or those in which they have very limited material.

And I hope that they make a print-challenge this time around.

swanpride

swanpride

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 7:18 AM

How about this one: They give each designer the same amont of white fabric, and give them a small budged with they can use to buy dyes, buttons, zippers and whatever else they want exept fabric. And then tell them that they had to create a show stopper in which they "express themselfes". And give them two days at least (because the dying needs time). It would be interesting to see what they would came up with.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 10:59 AM

At this point, I don't even want a new challenge idea -- I want them to have MORE FREAKING TIME for the challenges they ARE given. Also, fewer team challenges. Sigh.

IttyBittyFlavur

IttyBittyFlavur

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 12:57 PM

They give each designer the same amont of white fabric, and give them a small budged with they can use to buy dyes, buttons, zippers and whatever else they want exept fabric.

This was the opening challenge for Season 2. They got a bolt of muslin and $20 for incidentals. It was sent to their homes, maybe 2 weeks before they had to report to the show, so they had plenty of time and freedom.

swanpride

swanpride

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 3:15 PM

But wasn't the pattern on the fabric different for each of them? And weren't they free to use additional fabric as long as they stayed in budget?

(But I quite liked this one as opening challenge).

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2011 @ 6:01 PM

No the fabric was all the same and they could only buy stuff to add to the dress, such as dyes or stuff to add to the garments, like lace, zippers, etc.

dmmetler

dmmetler

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 17, 2011 @ 3:05 PM

I want a "Catherines" challenge, since Catherines only stocks clothes in size 16-32W. Can you imagine how the designers would freak out about having to design for a woman who is truly plus-sized? And that's certainly a niche in the fashion industry. But if they do that, I want all the models to be about the same dress size and height, so that there's not an advantage given to the designers with the thinnest model.

I was kind of hoping that, after spending 2 days on the woman's look, they'd be told that they now had 2 more days to design a corresponding look for the male member of the couple :)-kind of like the challenge where they had to design for little girls and then do a corresponding look for an adult woman to go with the child's look.

Laura Jane

Laura Jane

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2011 @ 10:13 AM

After watching the latest disaster (Make clothes for this rock band) I'm thinking that amateurs could not have done any worse. Maybe they should give up on the so-called professional designers and try casting complete amateurs-- people who have never sold anything but sew clothes for themselves and their families. The results could not be any worse than what we are getting from the Season 9 designers and they might even be fresh and interesting.

cosmic1

cosmic1

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 2, 2011 @ 11:11 AM

Since both Heidi and Michael have ties to QVC, I would like to see a challenge where the designers would have to design a look to be sold on QVC via advance orders. This would have to be when we are down to the final 6 designers, so each one could get 10 minutes to discuss their look with the QVC host and have orders placed, sizes XS through 3X.

Of course, there would have to be strict parameters on the fabric and cost for production to be practical. The one who sells the most garments is guaranteed not to be auf'd by the judges, even though they could end up in the bottom 3 or win the challenge.

I'd definitely watch that challenge and hopefully, buy something.

troublecakes87

troublecakes87

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

I would haved loved if, during the all Star Season, one of the challenges had been to take the design that got the contestants eliminated and make them re-purpose it. I know this would have been a stretch, because some designs were supposed to fit themes, some took more time than others... but I would have liked to have seen them tackle this. AND it would have shown growth as a designer from where they were the last time they were on the show.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 5:38 PM

I stumbled onto these gowns made out of toilet paper on accident. I think this could be a fun challenge for PR and a great way to tie in some product placement.

Sayaka

Sayaka

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 7:08 AM

How about an "ugly fabric" challenge? Give every designer really ugly fabric, a limited budged for something additional, and then they have to use the ugly fabric for at least half of the garment.

Jules27

Jules27

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 7, 2013 @ 9:50 AM

As a chorus girl, I would love to see a chorus dress challenge. Our chorus dresses are these ugly itchy black a-lines which do no flatter me at all. The dresses could be limited to just black, so it would be a little LBD-ish. 

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Dec 13, 2013 @ 8:54 PM

I was thinking it would be interesting if they had a challenge where each designer was given three different models with different body types and had to design one dress that would flatter all of them. They would have to construct three different versions of the dress (and maybe they could be in different colors), but they all would have to be the same design.

auntlada

auntlada

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2013 @ 10:47 PM

That sounds like a good idea, except they'd probably only get a day to make all three versions of the dress.

Gulielma

Gulielma

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2013 @ 12:34 PM

And they'd probably all make LBDs. 

annetteboardman

annetteboardman

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 27, 2014 @ 9:25 PM

I would like to see them get their fabric at a sari store -- one sari providing the material only, and the colours available should be really bright, so they don't all go for some boring dress.