Future Challenge Ideas

• Please log in to reply

316 replies to this topic

lorax523

lorax523

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 1:40 PM

Now that we're done with Challenges for this year, let's start throwing out some challenges to stump next year's crop of Design God Wannabes.

1. Maternity Challenge. Raise your hand if you were expecting it this season, given Heidi's state. I think all the designers were expecting it, too.

2. Plus Size Challenge. Design for a non-size-two woman! And it'd force the designers to work with a different model...AND they'd have to take their measurements before hand, because while there's only a couple of ways to be a size two, there's an infinite number of ways to be chubby.

3. Men! Why do they never do menswear? I know it's hard and stuff, but we only saw it this year in the Makeover challenge. Let's get some male models in here for one episode and have the designers outfit them.

4. Man-On-The-Street Challenge. Get volunteers from people randomly walking by and the designers have to make them an outfit.

Throw out some more ideas!

Gulielma

Gulielma

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 1:53 PM

Librarian challenge: create an outfit for a librarian that's professional, can be walked around in, AND is fabulous.

I'll give them a hint: there's this female librarian who's been known to wear french cuffed men's shirts, with real cufflinks....

ellymay

ellymay

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 2:02 PM

Kidswear Challenge -- Design clothes for actual children. Will the designers be able to avoid vulgarity and tootie (and exposed bums) for this one?

Active Sportswear Challenge -- Design clothes that can be worn hiking, horseback riding, and so on. Designing clothing that will not fall apart is very important for this one!

Get Out of Your Comfort Zone Challenge -- No black fabric allowed! No blue fabric allowed! No solid colors! No sleeveless! No glue!

Yes, I was expecting a Maternity Challenge. And WORD! on the Plus Size Challenge.

Edited by ellymay, Mar 1, 2006 @ 2:03 PM.

theobviouschild

theobviouschild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 2:03 PM

5. Ice-Dancing challenge or the snowboarding challenge. Cause those of us who watched the Olympics know that they could use some help.

6. Oscar Dress for someone like Joan Rivers. Because I love Joan Rivers.

7. Accessory Challenge. Same dress, everyone creates accessorys and changes the dress to make it theirs.

(I love the Plus Size and Man-On-The-Street Challenge ideas!)

(Woohoo! I'm a Video Archivist!)

Edited by theobviouschild, Mar 1, 2006 @ 2:04 PM.

lorax523

lorax523

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 2:08 PM

7. Accessory Challenge. Same dress, everyone creates accessorys and changes the dress to make it theirs.

Ooh, that's a GREAT idea! But it might be hard...not everybody might have the skill set to make a purse.

Gulielma

Gulielma

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 2:12 PM

We'll choose the fabric for you challenge: each designer is given a bolt of fabric by Tim Gunn (when there have been enough challenges that he knows the "comfort zone" of each designer) specifically out of that designer's comfort zone.

Model reassignment challenge: when the designers are comfortable with their models, Heidi or Tim will randomly reassign models to mix it up a bit.

Transsexual makeover challenge: create a look for a fellow designer as the opposite sex.

desdamonab

desdamonab

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 2:15 PM

1. "Woman of a Certain Age" Challenge. We're not our mothers and grandmothers. Really.

2. "Stone Soup" Challenge. Each designer has to buy enough of one element (fabric, trim, etc.) for everybody and then everybody creates an outfit using the "community" pool of materials. I'd love to see what everybody does with ALL the same stuff. The muslin challenge was close, but didn't push the outer limits.

3. "Turn to Your Left" Challenge. Everybody buys the material for their outfit but, surprise, when they get back to Parsons they have to give their materials to designer standing next to them. See what you can do with someone else's aesthetic.

4. "Plagarism" Challenge. Okay, go ahead. Make an outfit in the style of the designer you find most inspiring.

5. "Don't Know Much About History" Challenge. Make an outfit for your favorite historical character. Or literary character would work, too.

Edited by desdamonab, Mar 1, 2006 @ 2:20 PM.

Gulielma

Gulielma

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 2:31 PM

Tim Gunn challenge: make an outfit for Tim Gunn. Who will be the guest judge and who will dosed with truth serum shortly before the runway show.

Meghan Jill

Meghan Jill

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 3:26 PM

Hehe, this is way cool because I was just thinking about it this morning (kudos to lorax523 for making it a thread)! My idea was a Uniform challenge like last year's Postal Worker thing. Only I was thinking more along the lines of Fast Food Worker.

Also, a few years back there was an Olympic athlete on What Not to Wear, and she was telling them that a horrible red blazer they'd pulled out of her closet was required wearing for the athletes marching in the Opening Ceremonies. It might have been better for this past season, but creating new outfits like that would have been great (large variety of body types, heights, both sexes, all ages, etc).

LizDC

LizDC

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 3:51 PM

3. "Turn to Your Left" Challenge. Everybody buys the material for their outfit but, surprise, when they get back to Parsons they have to give their materials to designer standing next to them. See what you can do with someone else's aesthetic.

I was thinking of that one too! Imagine the fun if Chloe had tried to make something with clean lines using a pile of Santino-selected feathers and pine needles.

How about a tie-in with PetSmart? Design an outfit for people and a matching one for their dogs? Or maybe not. The fittings for the dogs with all the pins and last minute sewing could be problematic.

Edited by LizDC, Mar 1, 2006 @ 4:00 PM.

kinkyprude

kinkyprude

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 4:27 PM

I would love to see a "Turn Left Challenge". Fantastic.
The trick next season is going to be the first challenge. They've done a groccery store, and use your own clothes, what is it going to be next year? Paper? Everyone gets a copy of the Sunday New York Times, and $20, and one day to make a fabulous garment.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 5:14 PM

Good topic. Let me think.

1. Endurance: A one week long "mini-line" challenge. Create three related looks in the space of a week. Bottom two designers get the boot in this two part episode. This would have to go late in the season.

Guest judges? Twenty Parsons Design students.

2. Resourceful: Salvation Army challenge. Use randomly selected sacks of donated clothes to make a new outfit. This could be the first episode.

3. The Design for RuPaul Challenge. Let's put this early so it's not that crucial.

4. Something Flaky: The Zodiac challenge. Each designer is assigned a different Zodiac sign to be their theme. Obviously this would be good with 12 designers left.

5. Practical: Designing outfits for the waitstaff of an upscale restaurant. Good midseason challenge. Guest judge a restauranteur/celebrity chef?

I also second the "Turn Left" challenge.

Blumenkraft

Blumenkraft

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 5:15 PM

The first challenge: Put video extras on Bravo that people on Macs or using Firefox can actually view.

Oh, you mean challenges for the designers!

I love the person to the left challenge idea and the plus sized, maternity, and/or kid's wear ideas.

Oh, and FYI - we did see a challenge where the designers had the same pool of fabric to choose from. The BR challenges. That's why they all ended up picking navy ala Wendy Pepper.

Another challenge - design an outfit for a time traveler. Make something that wouldn't look out of place in this time *or* the time they choose to visit.

Shoes, hats, and bags. Give them the dresses and have them design the accessories.

Simple black dress. What's your take on the SBD?

desdamonab

desdamonab

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 5:21 PM

The Olympics "marching in" outfit would have been cool, but it would probably be so complicated figuring out trademarks and licensing and sponsorships, etc. Bravo is in the NBC family, so I figured Sasha Cohen was their attempt at subtle cross promotion.

The fast food outfit challenge is a good one. I was thinking about kindergarten teacher -- having to be professional yet allowing you to stand all day, not to mention kneeling down and sitting on the floor. Or medical or dental professional. I. Hate. Scrubs. I. Hate. Seeing. My. Caregivers. In. Scrubs.

How about prom dress or bridesmaid dress? Frankly, that's what I thought Daniel V.'s evening gown looked like anyway.

I would also like to see more sportswear or resort wear. I still think Nick should have done pretty black shorts (very 1940s) to go with his "Inspiration" halter top instead of the uneven fishtail hem.

ETA:

Oh, and FYI - we did see a challenge where the designers had the same pool of fabric to choose from. The BR challenges. That's why they all ended up picking navy ala Wendy Pepper.

Yep. But I was thinking more like on the first challenge they send everybody $100 bucks and tell them to buy one "material" (fabric, trim, embellishments) that inspires them, and then people have everybody's to use. Frankly, the BR challenge turned out like it did because the BR design team picks corporate boring material. I mean, really, what did they expect?

Edited by desdamonab, Mar 1, 2006 @ 5:29 PM.

Kathira

Kathira

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 5:41 PM

Since they missed doing maternity for Heidi, how about children's or baby clothes? They could use life-size dolls. I have a friend who went to Parsons and she works for Baby Gap. They do everything - infants, toddlers, boys, girls, hats, shoes, toys...

Another youth challenge might be to design a dress for a girl for a bat mitzvah party. Or to cross ethnicities, a quinceanera dress. Either of these would be like prom dresses, but for younger girls.

How about another "emotion" dress, like the "envy" ones from the first season. Only this time, they would each pick different ones from the bag - anger, sadness, love, happiness, irritation, etc.

Design for a movie being shot in New York. I'm sure they could find an independent filmmaker to work with. The prize for the challenge would be that the winner's outfits/concept would be seen in the movie. This could be done as a team challenge, as each team member designs for a different character.

A tv show would work, too. They could design for some female star and she would wear the dress on the show. I don't watch much, so I don't have any suggestions as to who would be good for this. It's too bad Sex and the City isn't on anymore. Carrie was a total clothes horse, and I know I've read that Sarah Jessica Parker is a big fan of the show.

Edited by Kathira, Mar 1, 2006 @ 5:44 PM.

yui

yui

Fanatic

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 5:50 PM

I would like to see a kid's challenge where each designer is assigned a child AS the client. See how they cope with someone who's idea of good fashion is spider man underoos or disney princess shininess.

eyechart

eyechart

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 8:29 PM

The Salvation Army idea would be great, altho a little reminiscent of the "2055" challenge (if only for re/deconstructing already-made clothes). "Turn Left" would be another great one.

An obvious one to me would be "Beauty Pageant", where the winner would design an evening gown for the current Miss America/USA/Universe/World to wear (whether Trump would allow it would be another matter; doesn't he own all of them now?)

For non-cloth material, how about a "Party Dress", where they shop at a party supply store...imagine the wickety-whack! Streamers, balloons, napkins, plates...should make for some interesting designs!

Another "Red Carpet" challenge, but this time, they design for...NINA!

clemens

clemens

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 12:30 PM

You all are awesome! Here's hoping Bravo has someone keeping an eye on these boards, 'cause I am dying to see some of these challenges on the show.

MHSWeb79

MHSWeb79

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 1:55 PM

Interesting to find this thread just as I was thinking they should have a Barbie challenge every season, given the visceral Barbie love from Tim and almost all the designers, who all seemed to have very fond childhood memories. (I didn't care for Barbie myself, but my best friend LOVED them so we had to play. But since she had 4 brothers, many of the sessions included Barbie and/ or GI Joe being blown up, beheaded, buried in the dirt, mutiliated by the dog and otherwise sorely mistreated. Surprisingly, I don't remember much fashion-related play.)
The trick would be to change up the rules so that the designers couldn't come to the show with a Barbie design already planned out.

MidwesternFlair

MidwesternFlair

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 2:17 PM

A Little Bit Country: I would love to see a twist on the Barbie Challenge where Mattel releases a limited edition Dolly Parton Barbie. The outfits would HAVE to be over the top (the models would, obvs, still have to wear wigs) and Miss Dolly Parton herself would be the guest judge.

That would be FIERCE.

jm chen

jm chen

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 2:48 PM

Toilet paper.

arlykeeno

arlykeeno

Stalker

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 6:14 PM

I'd like to see them design uniforms for somebody like the cafeteria ladies or the hospital volunteers or the hospice people -- real people who may not get that much attention paid to what they look like, people with real bodies.

Or have each designer bring his/her mom or grandma or somebody like that on the show to design for. If you don't have a mom, you can ask your aunt or older sister or even your dad.

Design a new robe for the Supreme Court.

Take a classic movie design (Audrey Hepburn in the black and white Givenchy for Sabrina, Audrey Hepburn in any of the Givenchy/Paris dresses in Funny Face, Edith Head's famous dress for Bette Davis in All About Eve, Edith Head's black gown for Ingrid Bergman in Notorious, Adrian's gown for Katharine Helpburn in Philadelphia Story, Ginger Rogers' chicken feathers dress in Top Hat...) and tell the designers to make something new and fresh that uses that dress as inspiration. That would also work with iconic designs from the past, like Rudi Gernreich's bathing suit or the Chanel suit or Mary Quant's "Banana Split," Diane von Furstenberg's wrap dress, etc. I'd like to see them take an influence from the past and show something new with it.

Since models are all 14, how about Prom Dresses for models?

Halloween costumes might also be amusing, and I love the party store free-for-all someone suggested above. A dress made of plastic leis! A dress made of pink Barbie birthday plates!

katnap

katnap

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 7:04 PM

Love the Turn to Your Left, Plus Size, Person on the Street and Woman of a Certain Age ideas. It drove me nuts when the judges would constantly say "it doesn't look young enough." Who says all clients are young?

My idea: The Austin Scarlet/Santino Ombre Fabric challenge. Now that it's been used in 2 seasons, hand everyone a bolt of it and see what they make.

ags

ags

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2006 @ 10:43 PM

I will flip the Accessory Challenge around. The show chooses the accessory and the designer then designs the garment around the accessory - a pair of shoes, a piece of jewelry, a hat, etc.

theobviouschild

theobviouschild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 3:11 AM

It drove me nuts when the judges would constantly say "it doesn't look young enough." Who says all clients are young?

YES! Yes, yes, yes. And more yes. I would so love for a designer to go out there and say, well actually the woman I made this dress for is 79, so bite me, Nina and Kors.

And I love ags reverse accessory challenge idea.

How about a Hardware Store Challenge? We've done Grocerys and Flower Shops.

Edited by theobviouschild, Mar 12, 2006 @ 5:15 PM.

Flootoona

Flootoona

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:51 AM

Love the Plus Size challenge. From the start of the season I've wanted them to design for Queen Latifa as a guest judge. Kathy Bates would be another excellent choice. Older and larger woman - there's a challenge for you.

Ru Paul is a great idea. Even cooler would be gowns for a whole drag show.

Mardi Gras parade costumes.

Cirque du Soleil challenge!

Music challenge with David Byrne as the guest judge. This would involve some really wacky materials and silhouettes. Astroturf! Big suits!

Ten bucks says they're already planning a tennis dress challenge for next season. How cool would it be to see a bunch of designers and some tennis star lobbing tennis balls at whoever turns out to be next season's Zulema, like they did with Raj on TA?

A two week travel wardrobe consisting of five coordinating pieces that won't be a stinky mess of wrinkles two days into a trip. Make it a double episode.

Vatican Fashion Show. Yeah, Fellini already did it, but it's worth revisiting.

Dance challenge. Sketch design concepts for a whole ballet or modern dance production, produce one key piece. Twyla Tharp or Mark Morris would be awesome as guest judges.

Edited by Flootoona, Mar 3, 2006 @ 7:53 AM.

Deianeira

Deianeira

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 12:56 PM

Turn to Your Left Challenge (desdemonab) + Clothes Off Your Back =

Create an outfit from the clothes off the back ... of the designer to your left.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 2:11 PM

I love the tennis outfit one. Paging the Williams sisters or Maria Sharapova.

I shudder to suggest: Cheerleaders? Too costumey?

One thing I beg of the producers. If you must do a team challenge which involves choosing teams like in the lingerie challenge, please have the team captain who chooses first in the first round choose last in the 2nd round, and vice versa. It just makes no sense that a random draw would have a designer get the worst pick in both rounds.

Braxton Hicks

Braxton Hicks

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 3:02 PM

Are you guys watching Project Catwalk (The UK version of PR) - 'cause a lot of these ideas have appeared on that show already...

They've done a turn to the left challenge, a salvation army type challenge, a hardware store, they also did hotel maids outfits (which ties in with the various uniform requests...).

They also did a photoshoot challenge - where they had to design an outfit and then art direct the photoshoot that showcased it. I think it's an interesting one - I'd tweak it a bit and make it a perfume challenge.

Perfume is the biggest money maker for most major designers, a way to sell their 'vision' to the masses. It is also meant to be a distillation of their design philosophy. I'd like to see the designers visit a 'nose' (a perfume designer), and create a signature scent that represents them, then create an outfit and shoot it for an ad campaign that sums up their vision. The photo shoot, the scent and the runway show would all count towards the judging.

We've been joking about an Eau de Santino all season - wouldn't it be interesting to find out what it smells like, and see how he's try to market it?

I also think the accessory idea is a brilliant one - so many houses (Vuitton, Bottega Veneta, even Prada and Gucci) are primarily accessory designers that create clothing collections to showcase their bags, shoes, etc - it's one of the biggest parts of the clothing market - so would be very interesting to see how the designers cope with that fact.

Edited by Braxton Hicks, Mar 4, 2006 @ 12:57 AM.

Spooneroonie

Spooneroonie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2006 @ 3:33 PM

2. Plus Size Challenge. Design for a non-size-two woman! And it'd force the designers to work with a different model...AND they'd have to take their measurements before hand, because while there's only a couple of ways to be a size two, there's an infinite number of ways to be chubby.

Abso-fucking-lutely. And it wouldn't even have to be plus size. Just a normal, non-model woman. One that wears regular clothing from regular stores, and who isn't the size of a twig.

How about a Hardware Store Challenge? We've done Grocerys and Flower Shops.

I'd love to see this! However, I have a feeling that if they were to do that, we'd wind up looking at a lot of Knights of The Round Table chain mail. But, I may be surprised...who knows.

NOTE TO BRAVO:
I'd also like to see the desiginers have MORE TIME to create, shop and finish the designs. Yes, we are all aware that there is a ton of video footage to wade through and edit. Yes, we know this is probably a bitch to do. However--perhaps if you'd give them a bit more time (say, two days vs. 12 hours) you may find that the stress level drops and we will actually get some clothing that is FINISHED!!!

ETA:

Are you guys watching Project Catwalk (The UK version of PR) - 'cause a lot of these ideas have appeared on that show already...

I'd love to, but I don't have the BBC America channel in my area. Or, maybe I do but in order to get it...I'd have to shell out big bucks for a thousand other channels that I don't want.

Edited by Spooneroonie, Mar 3, 2006 @ 3:38 PM.