Dr. Callie Torres: The Bolder Choice

• Please log in to reply

1403 replies to this topic

pointybird

pointybird

Video Archivist

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 6:14 PM

she was never convincing in any of her same sex relationships

... at least admit the 3 second shower scene with Arizona was somewhat hot, nivea :-)

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 6:24 PM

Regardless if Callie is bisexual or lesbian, she was never convincing in any of her same sex relationships. She's never had any romantic chemistry with either Arizona or Erica.

It's clearly a matter of opinion, for to me - Callie has chemistry with pretty much every character, sexual or otherwise. 

I do whole-heartedly believe, though, that we aren't going to see Callie "moving on" or dating other people.  Nor Arizona - unless for some reason Shonda wants to make Arizona the most detested character on the show by having Dr.GTFO stick around for them to go another round or five.

ZenLizzy

ZenLizzy

Fanatic

Posted May 30, 2013 @ 6:25 PM

Other than that, there always seems to be too much space between their bodies when they're kissing or something. 

Remember JCap was pregnant for first half of season 7 and last half of 8, they were working around the baby-belly. Plus, in season 9 it was part of the story to keep them apart.

I'm sure if asked about the chance to get into Callie's pants, Richard would say, "I'd hit her!"

They've both lived at The Archfield, I'm sure they have plenty of reward points saved up.

pointybird

pointybird

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 1:40 AM

Remember JCap was pregnant for first half of season 7 and last half of 8, they were working around the baby-belly.

All the more reason to have Callie draped suggestively all over Arizona's body at all times, ZenLizzy, to cover the pregnancy :-).  I'll take that that over a strategically placed plant pot or clip board any time.  What a wasted opportunity!

Jenrin

Jenrin

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 1:19 PM

I think it's very unlikely Callie will be shown dating anyone else next season. It's possible, but Shonda's all about 'growth.' Right after Arizona left, Callie hung out with Cristina and said that she was a lot cooler when she was single, but Cristina corrected her. "You were hardly ever single." And in the next episode Callie tried to pick up a girl and then slept with Mark. 

So, even if Callie and Arizona begin the next season separated, I don't think we'll see her dating and/or hooking up with a bunch of different people. The latter could happen like it did with Alex at the beginning of Season 8, but if it does, it'll be about realizing this behavior is destructive and that she needs to grow up and learn how to be okay alone. 

ZenLizzy

ZenLizzy

Fanatic

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 2:12 PM

So, even if Callie and Arizona begin the next season separated, I don't think we'll see her dating and/or hooking up with a bunch of different people.

This is what I'm hoping too. I don't want to see Callie dating randoms, or anyone at all, but I have no faith that Shonda can resist the temptation.

If there is a time jump, which we all know is a high probability, I'd like to see a situation in which someone hits on Callie and she politely turns them down. A nice "I may be separated, but I'm still married and until we are all sorted, I'm gonna spend some time by myself." Is that too much to ask? That's growth for her, right? I don't see her breaking her vows, even separated, unless she truly believes her and Arizona are over. But, reality and this past season tells me the show sees Callie as sex consumed and she likely won't go without. So, honestly, I have no idea what to expect next season. My gut tells me the worst, but I have a smidgen of hope, a tiny one, but it's there.

Edited by ZenLizzy, May 31, 2013 @ 2:14 PM.

pointybird

pointybird

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 6:40 PM

I think it's very unlikely Callie will be shown dating anyone else next season.

I think that making a point of Callie's bisexuality will prove too much of a temptation.  Having a same-sex couple split up, with one partner going back to a man, could generate a lot of publicity.  Shonda loves publicity.  I'm convinced we'll see Callie with a man at some point in Season 10. 

Edited by pointybird, May 31, 2013 @ 6:43 PM.

Jenrin

Jenrin

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 7:18 PM

I think that making a point of Callie's bisexuality will prove too much of a temptation.  Having a same-sex couple split up, with one partner going back to a man, could generate a lot of publicity.  Shonda loves publicity.  I'm convinced we'll see Callie with a man at some point in Season 10. 

I don't think it's quite so cut and dried. Callie and Arizona are married. Even if they separate that doesn't mean their relationship is completely over. I can imagine Callie going out with Cristina and contemplating a hook-up. I can also imagine her making the conscious decision not to do it. Old Callie drowned her sorrow through sex and needed to be validated by others. I'd like to see a more mature Callie deciding that she needs to take care of herself first.

There's plenty of drama to be had through Callie and Arizona. They've swept a lot of problems under their rug over the years. Let's shake that out and watch the fireworks. 

GetChristieLove

GetChristieLove

Channel Surfer

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 11:41 PM

Hopefully they are going to break Calzona up and stop forcing two incompatible people together.  Let Callie be with a guy because she's never been a believable lesbian nor have her and Arizona ever been hot together. Arizona can be with a woman, maybe Dr Boswell, maybe someone else. Their 5 seconds together were hotter than all Calzona scenes combined.

LOLOL! The hottest part of that scene was when Arizona locked the door.  If I were the director, I would have yelled "Cut!" right then.  They should have just left it to our imagination.  That would have been hotter than watching these two peck-kiss in the dark and pull off a lab coat.

Edited by GetChristieLove, Jun 1, 2013 @ 12:51 AM.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Jun 1, 2013 @ 2:38 PM

That would have been hotter than watching these two peck-kiss in the dark and pull off a lab coat.

Haha THIS!

Chemistry and what's "hot" is clearly subjective, but I didn't see much of it with Arizona/Boswell and to me I think the set up - thunderstorm, the power going out, lightning illuminating the room - was what made the scene.  Certainly not the characters - the kissing alone looked uncomfortable at best!  For me there is no comparison to Callie, who has chemistry with everyone but most especially with the person she's loving-on. The way she looks at Arizona, any given look, is packed with more chemistry and hotness than if we actually saw the entirety of Boswell and Arizona awkwardly fumbling around and having sex. 

One could argue that Callie and Arizona have been around each other longer than the two days of Arizona/Boswell - and maybe that "newness" is what sets some people a-flutter.  But if we take it all the way back to the bathroom scene at Joe's? That trumps Boswell shamelessly throwing herself at Arizona and Arizona making eyes at her every single time.

Not to point out the obvious that Callie is SMOKING HOT and Boswell is pretty - generic - and too much like Arizona. When two people are practically carbon copies of one another, where's the excitement in that?

Edited by NYluv, Jun 1, 2013 @ 2:40 PM.

TheresaW1934

TheresaW1934

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 1, 2013 @ 8:03 PM

Superficial I admit -

Callie tends to make changes at times like these.  Finger nail polish, hair style, outward attitude even.

BUT she must always do the leather jackets.  Always.  That cannot go away for any reason.

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled programming ...

Clairelle876

Clairelle876

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 1, 2013 @ 9:01 PM

BUT she must always do the leather jackets.  Always.  That cannot go away for any reason.

Cosign!

nivea

nivea

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2013 @ 7:32 AM

... at least admit the 3 second shower scene with Arizona was somewhat hot, nivea :-)

Not really, maybe the idea of it was hot but the lack of chemistry between Callie/Arizona made it just awkward. 

Frankie5Angels

Frankie5Angels

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 7:31 PM

Does anyone think Callie should forgive Arizona? As in, would the Callie we know be able to forgive such a cold betrayal? Would Callie be able to trust Arizona again after all that Callie has been through in terms of relationships, all of which have ended in humiliating heartbreak? That's one thing I've noticed about her relationships. While other Grey's characters have had breakups and been dumped, none of them has really been as humiliating or hurtful as Callie's have. They've been public and ruthless. Oh, then there's her dad rejecting her before he came to his senses. Also, her mom Calls her kid a bastard, refused to attend her wedding, and won't speak to her. Callie's sister seems to feel the same way because she didn't come to her wedding either, nor was she mentioned. How can Callie deal with another emotional beatdown? Thoughts beyond "Callie sucks as a person/she never cared about Arizona/she's a fake lesbian?" Those sorts of remarks aren't really engaging my question. 

Erratic

Erratic

Stalker

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 8:04 PM

It depends on where the story goes. If the writers play it as 'it wasn't really Arizona, it was PTSD', then I can see a forgiveness arc being secondary to Arizona's healing arc.

If it is played as 'Arizona is unfairly dumping on Callie', then no, Callie shouldn't forgive her.

I think that it's been established though that Shonda sees Calzona as MFEO, and that they are end game, so I am leaning towards the first option for now. For now.

Edited by Erratic, Jul 21, 2013 @ 8:04 PM.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2013 @ 10:22 PM

I think the writers have set it up to where the issue of trust is something both Callie and Arizona are going to have to wade through and work on... according to Arizona, Callie broke her trust by making the call to amputate (which adds a whole other branch of issues - as it was life or death and so on); and Arizona broke Callie's trust when she cheated (which, again, depending on how Shondaland decides to explain-away the tryst, also comes with it's own set of issues). 

Should Callie forgive her?  For me I think it all depends on how Arizona acts when the show starts back up.  Is Arizona sorry? Does Arizona still love her wife? Is she - are they - going to seek out counseling?  I think Callie needs to know that there is something worth fighting for in order to try and continue to fight.  Right now, with the cheating and Arizona's outburst, it's not very far off to speculate that Callie may be thinking that her wife doesn't love her anymore.  And after spending a year/season trying to hold them together - as messy as it was at times - without getting some sort of confirmation from Arizona that she still loves her (because remember, we haven't heard them say "I love you" since pre-amputation), Callie may just give up.  The exhaustion of the year and the fighting, coupled with being blindsided by her wife's infidelity and rage toward her, along with Callie's history with her loved one's cheating/leaving/abandoning her...

I wouldn't be surprised, nor would I blame her, if she becomes numb to it all and has no more fight left in her. 

Edited by NYluv, Jul 21, 2013 @ 10:23 PM.

CED9

CED9

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 9:38 AM

I don't think it makes sense to gauge it on when I love you's are said, because they're rarely said on this show.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 10:23 AM

I don't think it makes sense to gauge it on when I love you's are said, because they're rarely said on this show.

The intention in my post is to not gauge when "I love you"s were said - I just threw that in there because it's what we've seen in canon and for the purpose of it supporting my theory that maybe Callie, especially after the blow up in the finale, could be thinking that Arizona doesn't love her anymore. Also, they've had a few good sweet/intimate/supposedly-reconnecting moments (9x10, 9x18, 9x19) where "I love you" could have and would have been expressed.  Maybe Shondaland omitted it on purpose, maybe she didn't - as you've said, no one really says it on the show. 

Basically, the fact that her wife cheated on her with someone she's only known for 2 days, someone who is a polar opposite of Callie (blonde, thin, much like Izzie!), and the anger and vitriol Arizona spewed at her at the end... it's not very far off to think that Callie may now be feeling insecure about her marriage and how her wife feels about her. 

It's plausible and possible. 

Edited by NYluv, Jul 22, 2013 @ 10:32 AM.

CED9

CED9

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 10:27 AM

The intention in my post is to not gauge when "I love you"s were said - I just threw that in there for part of the reasoning as to what we've seen in canon and for the purpose of it supporting my theory that maybe Callie, especially after the blow up in the finale, could be thinking that Arizona doesn't love her anymore. 
It's plausible and possible. 

Fair enough, as I've said before, I feel like Arizona's gotten the vibe that Callie refuses to accept that Arizona's amputation changed her, and doesn't really know if Callie loves the changed her. It's a problem on both ends.

Frankie5Angels

Frankie5Angels

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 1:45 PM

Fair enough, as I've said before, I feel like Arizona's gotten the vibe that Callie refuses to accept that Arizona's amputation changed her, and doesn't really know if Callie loves the changed her. It's a problem on both ends. 

And her way of discerning this was to be a messy bitch and sleep with some random skank? If Arizona tries to vindicate her cheating with that little gem, I don't think Callie would, could, or should forgive her. And, I wonder what would make her think that when she's the one who's been pushing Callie away? Arizona hasn't given Callie a chance to meet and interact with the changed woman she is. She put up a front, so if she whips out that excuse, I think it would rightly make Callie angrier because it puts the blame on Arizona's cheating on Callie.

I don't think Callie is checking for being berated for saving Arizona's life. The loss of the leg was a fait accompli  once she coded. I truly don't think they discussed what they should do if any sort of emergency in which Arizona could not participate in her care. But, I also don't know that Callie would have let Arizona die even if she said she didn't want to live. I don't think the Callie we've come to know would let her wife die for a leg. It wouldn't be about her, I believe it would be about Sofia. Also, I think Callie should tell Arizona that she got a taste of what life would be like without her when she thought she was dead and that she couldn't bear it. And, I wonder what would make her think that when she's the one who's been pushing Callie away?

I agree with NYLuv, Callie might just be numb and done. Seriously, Callie has two people in her life: Arizona and Sofia. Yeah, her dad loves her, but he's not in Seattle. She doesn't have her best friend, Sofia's not quite old enough to be a confidante, and Arizona has dumped her (again). Callie has got to be totally numb. She might have to get through being totally dead before she can contemplate forgiveness. I don't see how she puts herself out there again. And, she can't be all catatonic and sad because she has a kid to care for, so she has to step up. Arizona can do better and I hope she comes correct or not at all. Poor Callie and Sofia. Poor Arizona for losing her leg, being in a pain crash, and being in unbearable pain and fear for four days. They've been dropkicked through the goalposts of life. :(

Oh, yeah, what about poor Sofia? Callie can't wallow, she can't go drinking, she can't get trashed at home, and she has to be a single parent. I am not convinced that she even wants or trusts Arizona with Sofia. Does anyone believe that Callie will kick Arizona out, leave, or stay in their apartment if Arizona is there? My opinion is that the person who cheats should get thrown out, but because their home is probably fitted with things to accommodate Arizona's disability, Callie might have to leave. Did she sell Mark's place? Does anyone think she'll will leave the apartment or will she get grimy by telling Arizona to kick rocks and find a hotel room? 

CED9

CED9

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 1:55 PM

I just can't agree that Callie is blameless in the whole situation. Sorry. I'll just leave it at that.

NYluv

NYluv

Fanatic

Posted Jul 22, 2013 @ 3:23 PM

I just can't agree that Callie is blameless in the whole situation

No one is saying that Callie is blameless for the trials and tribulations that was their relationship this season.  But, she most certainly did not deserve to be cheated on - no one deserves to be cheated on - and in that situation, Arizona is on her own as she made the choice to lock that door and give in to her desires. 

Frankie5Angels

Frankie5Angels

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 12:24 AM

I just can't agree that Callie is blameless in the whole situation. Sorry. I'll just leave it at that.

Callie isn't blameless for their marital woes, but I don't see how she deserved to be cheated on. Arizona had options other than cheating. She's a bright woman and she can use her words. Whatever their problems may be, Arizona made them worse. Now, in addition to working on coping with Arizona's new circumstances, they have to deal with her cheating. Arizona is responsible for that all on her own. Right now, Arizona is the captain of Team Bad Decisions and she's losing.

Seneca

Seneca

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 23, 2013 @ 11:31 AM

The whole cheating thing was more due to lazy writing than organic character development though, wasn't it?  Sort of in the same category of leaving Callie at the airport so Jessica C. could have her baby.  It all just feels like bad writing.

A little drama spices things up.  Callie will get over it.  I just hope those two do something more interesting than they have been over the last year or two.