Dr. Callie Torres: The Bolder Choice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1403 replies to this topic

spentcigarette

spentcigarette

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2006 @ 9:36 PM

I like her. I mean, we don't know much about her so my opinion could change very easily, but she seemed like a funny, bright and confident girl. Just what the doctor ordered for George, IMO. If she can help George become more independent and head-strong and less of a "foetus", then there's no way I can not like her.

And the fact she has this fangirl attitude with George, whom I don't like in the slightest, doesn't make her more appealing to me.

I didn't see her interest in George as fangirly. As much of a mope as George is, he is a nice guy - humble, sweet, funny, caring, et cetera. Although I don't find him to be the most attractive doctor in the hospital, different people are attracted to different people. And to be frank, I think it's great that we have a girl who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to go for it. I thought the way she gave George her number at the end was rather sweet and smooth.

Edited by spentcigarette, Mar 10, 2006 @ 5:19 PM.

elsncy

elsncy

Posted Mar 6, 2006 @ 9:57 PM

Can we all stop referring to slim people as 'sticks' or similar descriptions? Because it's offensive. Maybe use slim, or slender, or, my personal favorite, svelte?
Much appreciated.

THANK YOU. My sentiments exactly.

As much as you love the Choo's and Manolo's shoefiend, I thought you might have my back. Any chance you just wrote a book? That has a blog about shoes?

So, maybe Callie will have a great place that George can move into so the he gets the hell off of Burke and Cristina's couch?? IMHO, that's the solution to all our problems...except the Mere/McD mess that is.

Edited by elsncy, Mar 6, 2006 @ 9:59 PM.

jewlmc

jewlmc

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:01 PM

Yeah god forbid someone doesn't come in and go "OMG! McDreamy is the most McDreamiest McDreamy that ever McDreamied" or fall for Alex's infantile frat boy smarm. Yeah something must be wrong with her choicing skills I guess.

She's great, hot, and will leave Meh in the dust IMO. Not just with Georg but hopefully in a lot of other areas as well.

alicesun

alicesun

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 1:29 AM

Yeah god forbid someone doesn't come in and go "OMG! McDreamy is the most McDreamiest McDreamy that ever McDreamied" or fall for Alex's infantile frat boy smarm. Yeah something must be wrong with her choicing skills I guess.

Heh, not a big fan of the pretty boys? McDreamy and Alex are intimidatingly good looking and George... is a puppy or a 12 year old and she is very confident so I really don't think it has anything to do with the fact that he is 'good-looking' just more that she is very aggresive and knows she can get George, that and he plugged a heart.

jewlmc

jewlmc

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 6:35 PM

Pretty boys who's "prettiness" is shoved down the viewers throats constantly? No. Pretty boys who aren't so in your face pretty but are handsome in their own NORMAL way. Yup. And I really don't think that Callie seems like the type who is intimidated. It wouldn't suprise me if she were to roll her eyes and laugh at a come on by Alex or a type like him. Granted we don't know much about her character but that's the vibe I get. If she were the type to be intimidated easily she wouldn't have much of a point. Plus she was refered to by one of the writers as "Saucy" so I'm thinking she's not going to be impressed by an Alex or "McDreamy" type.

And yeah...it's pretty impressive when someone does heart surgery(someone who is only an intern) in an elevator by himself. Certainly Mr. "intimidatingly handsome" Karev wasn't much help as he wet himself.

Edited by jewlmc, Mar 11, 2006 @ 6:39 PM.

JennRN

JennRN

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 2:32 AM

I really liked her this episode, even though she wasn't appropriately accessorized in the OR (by their medical advisor) to be attempting microsurgery.

She seemed a little softer (maybe because she wasn't yanking any dislocated extremities this time), and kind of sweet. Maybe the writers will use her to help Georgie grow up a little bit and get over his 4th grade response to the whole Mere thing.

alicesun

alicesun

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 3:32 AM

Ugh, I hate her. I think her and George need to take a long trip together FAR AWAY.

caroline2

caroline2

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 13, 2006 @ 10:10 PM

I loved her. Honestly, if George doesn't call her, I won't know what to do with this show.. it's bad enough that they pretend that men would fall all over Meredith - Meredith! - but for George not to respond to someone who looks like Torres, and actually has a personality? Come on, Shonda, there's only so much suspension of disbelief I can manage.

Edited by caroline2, Mar 14, 2006 @ 8:16 PM.

osage

osage

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 4:44 PM

I am also on this love train. She's bringing a fresh air to a show that (since the 2nd Bomb Ep) has been going on a slight downhill (not by much, but by enough for me to notice and be sad).

Now if only George can stop being so pitiful... and Mark could come back...

Alessandrab

Alessandrab

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 7:21 AM

As much as you love the Choo's and Manolo's shoefiend, I thought you might have my back. Any chance you just wrote a book? That has a blog about shoes?

So, maybe Callie will have a great place that George can move into so the he gets the hell off of Burke and Cristina's couch?? IMHO, that's the solution to all our problems...except the Mere/McD mess that is.

WHAT? Shoefiend not this too. LIKE ME you are obsessed with shoes?? Although being Italian I have more of Prada, Gucci, Sergio Rossi etc. But I LOOVE Manolo Blahnik and Jimmy Choo shoes! Ok, we definitely must exchange email addresses and talk about this. :) It's scary what I have in common with you guys around here!

Still not on the love train for Dr Torres. She DID sound fangirl when she was all over George going like "oh you are the one of the elevator surgery, you're such a hero, can you see the hearts around my head?" and "oh here I write my number on your hand". That is fangirl to me. AAANYWAY, if she manages to bed George and then dump him and make him grow a pair, I will forever be grateful to her.

Now if only George can stop being so pitiful... and Mark could come back...

I hear you osage . Especially on the Mark part... he NEEDS to be back, I need more McSteamy shirtless scenes! And I need him to break that godawful marriage up once and for all! They can break up anyway, but he would do it in a much HOTTER way. :)

Edited by Alessandrab, Mar 15, 2006 @ 7:23 AM.

tvjunkie2008

tvjunkie2008

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 10:41 PM

I'm loving Callie. She's just fun and different from the other characters on the show, so it's a nice change of pace. I really loved her scenes with George and think they have fantastic chemistry.

bneeweenee

bneeweenee

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 11:05 PM

If you want to see her sing, here's a video of her Tony award performance. It's not the best quality (obviously a camcorder taping a tv), but you can see her brilliant parodies of pop and r&b cliches.

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 11:07 PM

Personally, I love Torres and I'm so glad she's been added to the show. I thought she was very cute with George tonight. I liked that she was willing to give up on him instead of the way he is with Meredith, and she made him snap out of it.

If you want to hear Sara Ramierz sing you can listen to the snipets of Spamalot on Amazon ("Come with Me" and "Diva's Lament" are the Lady of the Lake's big songs). Or you could just buy the thing. I wish I could've seen her in that show. She was gone by the time I got there.

Isabelle31

Isabelle31

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 12:28 AM

Initially I thought that Dr. Torres would be a good fit for George, but now I'm not so sure. I like her and think that she deserves better than George. Lately, George has been whiny and unable to move off of the couch he's sleeping on at Burketina's place. I was surprised that she decided to give him another chance in the end. Here's to hoping that she snaps him out of the whiny funk he's in, and brings him back to his original characterization.

Swipsey32

Swipsey32

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 12:38 AM

Callie babe, you can do sooooo much better.

flux

flux

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 12:43 AM

If a guy doesn't call you after 2+ weeks, it should that tell you something. Callie, you need to find a man who can make up his mind, not Fetus.

And yes, I agree with Swips, you could do way better than George.

Aoedele

Aoedele

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 7:52 AM

She has a pretty face, but I find her voice and body a bit manish. Plus she could do sooo much better, I mean George? SERIOUSLY??!!

Edited by Aoedele, Mar 20, 2006 @ 8:21 AM.

theobviouschild

theobviouschild

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 1:43 PM

I would just like to state once again how glad I am to have someone who is not "conventionally pretty" on my TV screen. Dr. Callie is stunning but not in the same way that Mer/Izzie are. I love it, love it, love it.

And I'm totally in camp that wants them together. She could do wonders for him.

mellybean

mellybean

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 3:27 PM

Am I the only one that does NOT like her? I'm not exactly sure what it is. I just can't stand her! George doesn't call so she ignores him? Comments on it in front of patients? She's kind of a snot!

vellma

vellma

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 5:52 PM

No, you're not the only one who doesn't like her. The first time she was on, I thought she loooked a bit mannish, but realized I was being too judgmental. I decided to give her some time. I've given it, and my opinion has only gotten worse.

As others have said, she could do so much better. Instead, it's pretty pathetic that she's still into George. She hasn't really seen any of his attractive qualities in person. He's been wimpy and sulky and then downright childish. Her initial attraction to him was understandable, he was the elevator doctor, but since then he's pretty much been completely unattractive. Maybe she likes fixerups. But really.

mellybean

mellybean

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 7:00 PM

I don't want her to do better than George! I REALLY don't like her! She's acting like a snotty, childish brat! I don't want to see her with George or anyone else. I just don't want to see her at all! The actress is a pretty girl, but her character's kind of a dumbass! I HATE the way she was acting all "Oh, you never called" and ignoring him for basically nothing. It's not like he had any obligation to her. Who behaves that way!? I hate her! I know that's harsh but it's true. I don't know why I hate her, I just do. Maybe she can die and Denny can have her heart...?

Purplepenguin

Purplepenguin

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 8:25 PM

Okay as far as her acting like a brat. Well a bratty girl and a whiney boy (George) not such a bad match. I'm not sure how I feel about her yet, but I'm in favor of her helping George out of this Meredith obsession. It feels like the more progress Dr. Callie makes the closer we'll get to having this whole George & Meredith fight over with. Which as far as I'm concerned is a good thing. So yeah for Dr. Callie!

chiyochan

chiyochan

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 7:46 AM

Since she was brought on for the purposes of a love interest for George, I think they should have screen tested both of them together before just signing any semi-famous ethnic actress to play George's love interest. And if they did, what did they smoke that day? The idea of the character is all fine and dandy, but SR and TRK have absolutely ZERO chemistry together and it has nothing to do with her weight. I mean, it's not as if TRK is exactly an Adonis or anything. Everyone keeps saying that maybe George would grow a pair with her, but the question is why would he need to since she has enough for the both of them?

OK, even though he's not the remotest bit appealing to me physically, lets say Callie found him cute and liked his initiative regarding the patient in the elevator so she gave him her number. Now that weeks have passed, what would she find remotely appealing about a man who hasn't called her in weeks even though she made the first move, goes into a women's restroom to tackle a 100 lb woman and fondles her breast in a childish attempt to get something she has, and whom she knows to be acting like a child in ignoring Meredith when she walked into the room? I mean, she's gotta be wondering what their story is even if she hadn't heard all the rumors. She can't be this desparate, can she?

Marquis

Marquis

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 11:08 AM

I love Dr. Torres cause she's cute and feisty. But, just like a lot of you, I get nervous when I see her with George. I think its cause TR Knight is so fricking small. And we've seen her only with all of the smallest cast members like George and Xtina. I'd like to see her standing next to Burke, Addison or the Chief to figure out if she really is a giant.

I can see potential with her and George though, because I can see George being with her and just having fun like a big boy (read sex and other adult activities) without all of the emotional hangups attendant on screwing within his group. Plus its so refreshing to have someone entirely new to the incestuousness currently taking place.

Question - is she a resident? I figure she's not an intern because she performed the surgery by herself, and I dont' think she's an attending.

Alessandrab

Alessandrab

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 6:45 AM

Am I the only one that does NOT like her? I'm not exactly sure what it is. I just can't stand her! George doesn't call so she ignores him? Comments on it in front of patients? She's kind of a snot!

You're definitely not the only one. I find her vulgar and.. LOUD. She is too loud of a character for my own taste. Makeup is loud, hair is loud. Just loud. :D

Question - is she a resident? I figure she's not an intern because she performed the surgery by herself, and I dont' think she's an attending

She IS an attending. She is the ortho attending. Unlike Bailey who has no specific surgical specialty and is a resident. Torres is the ortho attending. :)

Agree with all those who say the huge problem here is also that her and George have got ZERO chemistry whatsoever. Literally zero. (not that George has chemistry with anyone aside from Olivia.) And they look horrible together. She's too big, too aggressive, too everything for him. I can't stand to watch them. The only couple I like even less is Izzie and Denny. But that has to do with the fact it is totally inappropriate, Izzie is behaving like a total moron, and the guy is completely CREEPY.

caroline2

caroline2

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:01 AM

I would just like to state once again how glad I am to have someone who is not "conventionally pretty" on my TV screen.

Heh, one of the thing I love about humans is how differently we perceive beauty; I think Torres is one of the few cast members who is conventionally pretty.

shika

shika

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:14 AM

Ack! My mind boggles at all the negative comments regarding Sara Ramirez/Dr. Torres. Opinions are opinions but if I read one more thing calling her fat/pig/Hulk/giant/ugly/drag queen/etc I am going to scream. (and just for arguments sake I am one of those people who gets uncomfy when people sling around words like anorexic and bony in regards to some of the thinner cast members) Maybe she isn't your cup of tea but its all just so mean-spirited. Not to get all soap-boxy but this kind of thinking only emphasises our culture's obsession with being thin/perfect. S. Ramirez is a beautiful girl. Sure, she's on the tall side and not what you would call thin, but she seems fit and perfectly healthy and IMO is GORGEOUS. And now the word is that a sex scene between Goerge/Callie would make people quit the show? Now, we've seen George naked several times so I'm assuming that the notion is that Calle is such a beast that seeing her (not even) naked in bed would be stomach churning. The mind boggles. Apparently if your character isn't built like EP your sex should only be something referenced to and definitely taking place off screen. Good to know.

[/bittercakes]

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 9:15 PM

Thank you, shika, on behalf of a houseful of Sara Ramirez fans. I think she's a delicious, ripe, magnificent and thoroughly feminine female, and hope she sticks around Seattle Grace - and my tv - for quite some time now.

Also, in spite of his whining and meddling of late, I still really like George and would love to see him in a fun, passionate, quirky relationship with a strong, funny woman who really digs him.

rue bee

rue bee

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 9:15 PM

Aw, shika, don't let the haters get you down. SR is a cutie and I'm pretty sure a George/Callie hook-up won't send the ratings into free fall.

I thought her reactions were appropriate. She gave George a chance, he screwed up, she wrote him off, but then he actually made the effort and called her, so she'll give him another shot. I don't think that's too much. It's not they're in a relationship and he stopped calling and then tried to rekindle. That would be uncool. They're not even dating yet and she met him while he was pining over another woman.

utrippin

utrippin

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2006 @ 10:04 PM

I wince at some of the comments too but I like her a lot. Big, curvy women are appreciated in my culture. I also think she is pretty... actually prettier than most of the GA regulars. And also, the funny part is that she is probably a size 12 or something. I look forward to seeing where they go with it.