The Old Rock Star Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

511 replies to this topic

TwistTie

TwistTie

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2006 @ 6:22 PM

Hopefully it's ok to start this up, since the audition dates have been announced. As I am too old for Idol at 37 I am taking the plunge and auditioning for this when it comes to Vancouver in March. I must say I am very happy that they added Vancouver this year for there was no way i could get over to Seattle or Toronto last time.

I may be a long shot but I figure if I don't try, I don't know. At the very least who knows, maybe I'll get talked about here :)

Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill

Posted Feb 25, 2006 @ 5:28 AM

Has the band been confirmed?

Teagan

Teagan

Posted Feb 25, 2006 @ 9:49 AM

Who's the band? I while ago, I heard Van Halen. Then I heard that that was just a rumor. Then a few weeks ago, I heard that it was going to be Van Halen after all. So, I'm not sure what to believe.

Nite System

Nite System

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2006 @ 12:32 PM

I've heard all sorts of rumors -- Stone Temple Pilots, Van Halen (they deny it though), Sublime, Alice in Chains, even Queen, and I've also heard that they're just looking for a solo singer, a la American Idol, who will work with a variety of musicians throughout the show.

D291173

D291173

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2006 @ 7:48 PM

So what will they say if it's a solo artist? "You're not right for our solo position"?

Nite System

Nite System

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2006 @ 11:27 PM

I have no idea, haha. I recall reading it on some board somewhere so it's probably not even true. But if it went down like they were looking for a solo singer to sing with the house band, I guess the house band would just kick off whoever they didn't want to work with or whoever wasn't good enough or something.

MartyBru01

MartyBru01

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2006 @ 6:46 AM

Hmm...why not The Beatles?

Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill

Posted Feb 26, 2006 @ 7:57 AM

Because The Beatles no longer exist?

cggb

cggb

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2006 @ 11:41 AM

I also thought I'd heard that it was going to just be a plain Rock Star, without the band attachment.

cosmonaut

cosmonaut

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 26, 2006 @ 1:07 PM

So what will they say if it's a solo artist? "You're not right for our solo position"?

Probably. Or it could be this: "You're just not right for...a band."

D291173

D291173

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2006 @ 4:23 PM

Hell, they could just stop at "You're just not right" and maybe add a "fuck off" for a bit of drama.

Andrew's Mommy

Andrew's Mommy

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2006 @ 5:15 PM

Am wondering whether the show could be delayed by the legal action being taken against AhBendINXS.

Nite System

Nite System

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 1:39 AM

Brett Scallions left the band Fuel last month, but they appear to be interested in AI contestant Chris Daughtry right now. And as I was going through my CDs the other day, I thought that Stabbing Westward would be a good choice for a new lead singer, but they actually disbanded didn't they? Or did Chris Hall just leave and there's still a band somewhere?

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Mar 4, 2006 @ 11:22 PM

and I've also heard that they're just looking for a solo singer, a la American Idol, who will work with a variety of musicians throughout the show.

I wouldn't mind them doing that at all, just as long as this show and it's great rock 'n' roll format comes back. It blows AI out of the water with the level of talent.

TwistTie

TwistTie

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 4:45 AM

If they do go for either the two main rumours at the moment, Queen or Van Halen my personal preference would be Queen. While I like Van Halen, Queen I've always had more of an emotional attachment to since they were so theatrical. The Game remains one of my favourite songs and there's nothing quite like playing Don't Stop Me Now cruising down the highway at 90Km

Aaron Wright

Aaron Wright

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 5, 2006 @ 10:57 PM

From Dave Navarro's website:

As for Rockstar, there is a new plan in place, but I cannot address it until the press release comes out this weekend. I can tell you this, it's not what you would expect. It's not Van Halen. It's not Queen. It's not Journey. In fact, all I will say is that you have never heard of this band before. Should be a fun summer.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2006 @ 12:05 AM

We have never heard the band before? Then where's all the fun in that? The emotional connection? The controversy?

Fun summer indeed.

They better have a nice catchphrase.

(But I bet maybe it's going to be a new band composed of members of bands we _have_ heard of, a la Velvet Revolver. Sneaky, Mr. Navarro.)

gritty

gritty

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2006 @ 1:43 AM

It's not Van Halen. It's not Queen. It's not Journey. In fact, all I will say is that you have never heard of this band before. Should be a fun summer.

This would definitely suck IMO. Part of the novelty of this show was that it was associated with a well-known band with previous hits looking for fresh new talent and a facelift.

Young and Free

Young and Free

Posted Mar 6, 2006 @ 4:37 PM

It's not Van Halen. It's not Queen. It's not Journey. In fact, all I will say is that you have never heard of this band before. Should be a fun summer.

Ugh. I hope this isn't going to be a rock version of "Making the Band."

I think Mark Burnett and Co. were trying to get a well-known band like Van Halen to do Season 2 (hence, all the rumors) and might have been in discussions but it didn't work out and now they're stuck with not having a famous band for Season 2.

It's a bad sign that auditions started this month and they haven't even announced yet what lead singer spot it will be. For Season 1 of "Rock Star," at least they announced well in advance of auditions that INXS would be the band so they'd have a good chance of getting people who are into INXS's music. Now for Season 2, all they'll get are reality TV famewhores who don't care what kind of band it'll be; they just want to be on TV.

I wonder if they approached The Doors, (or The Doors of the 21st Century as they have to be lgeally called now). Ian Astbury has gone back to The Cult for a reunion tour and album, so he's not going to be touring with The Doors for a while. But I suppose because of all the legal isssues with The Doors (John Densmore, the original drummer, and his lawsuits), I guess there'd be too many legal issues to overcome for a reality show.

If the "Rock Star" Season 2 band isn't one we've heard of before, then what kinds of songs will be performed during the series? Maybe it'll be an "all-star" new band of famous musicians choosing unknown lead singer. VH1 is having a new realiity show called "Supergroup" with Ted Nugent, Scott Ian from Anthrax, Sebastian Bach and some other has-been rock stars, so this idea has kind of been done.

Edited by Young and Free, Mar 6, 2006 @ 4:42 PM.

TwistTie

TwistTie

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 7, 2006 @ 12:37 AM

all they'll get are reality TV famewhores who don't care what kind of band it'll be; they just want to be on TV.

Well as one of those auditioning I would have to say not all of are in it for that. I know I have a great voice and I really want it to be heard.

Edited by TwistTie, Mar 10, 2006 @ 10:25 AM.

slayer2

slayer2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 4:54 PM

I've a question, I didn't watch last season so I don't know how popular it is and I'll be auditioning at Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto on monday. Auditions start at 10am, what time do y'all think I should show up {to be safe and out in 4hours}

Decoda

Decoda

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 11, 2006 @ 5:21 PM

Hell, they could just stop at "You're just not right" and maybe add a "fuck off" for a bit of drama.

This would be sooo awesome. lmao

elmothefuzzy

elmothefuzzy

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 12:43 AM

According to Dave Navarros's website, the band only has a drummer and the rest of the slots are open. I have heard rumors that the drummer is Tommy Lee but since no press release nothing has been confirmed.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 3:01 AM

I don't like the sound of this so far. A supergroup (or unknown group) composed of a drummer and others yet-to-be-determined? What? Sounds sketchy and disorganized. I bet their original band fell through and now they are scrambling.

slayer2, if I were you I would turn up quite early. Toronto will be a busy stop, so if the auditions begin at 10am--maybe be there by 4 or 5am? (Make a stop at Tim Hortons and grab some coffee and food.) Guaranteed people will be there all night just to make a point. I also wouldn't bank on getting out in 4 hours. (Weather wise: there's a 70% chance of rain on Monday, so dress well. On the upside, it's going to be around 15C. Not bad for March.)

Keep your day open just in case. It might be a drawn out process. Good luck to you and TwistTie! Bring us back any scoop you can. ;)

Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 7:27 AM

Well as one of those auditioning I would have to say not all of are in it for that. I know I have a great voice and I really want it to be heard.

But how can you possibly audition for a job without knowing who you will be working for/with, and what genre music you will be performing?
Knowing that should you win you will be contractually required to work with these people and this music for a year?

For the life of me I don't understand how auditions can be held without announcing who the band is- or at the very least the genre. Yes, I know Rockstar. But that certainly doesn't narrow it down nearly enough especially when season one wasn't even really rock.
IMO.

chipshot

chipshot

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 10:58 AM

My take was that there is not going to be a 'name' band that people will be trying to win a spot on. It is like building a complete new band that will release a record under Burnett/Epic Records. Or they would be working with part of the House Band to make a record.

Watching may be entertaining for all the personalities involved going for multiple spots and becoming 'one' but if you look back at RockStar:INXS ... there is going to be some big clashes and the new band formed this way may not last all that long.

It's going to be RockStar and Big Brother in one show! :)

slayer2

slayer2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:22 PM

Thanks oldgal will do,and I'll definitely be hitting Timmy Hosebags for some coffee and food.
ETA I'm reading on a site that JD said his first audition was with an accompanist. Do you know if I should expect one? I checked the website I thought I was supposed to be singing acapella?

Edited by slayer2, Mar 12, 2006 @ 1:38 PM.

oakgal

oakgal

Stalker

• Interests:Scrabble, modern design, crosswords, collecting handbags, reading mysteries and procrastinating.

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 6:32 PM

Thanks oldgal

Ack! When did I become old!? **snicker**

I don't know about the acapella or not side of things---I guess come prepared to sing either way. Maybe the second stage auditions include an accompanist. I know nothing about singing, does it matter if there is an accompanist or not?

slayer2

slayer2

Fanatic

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 8:12 PM

Sorry oakgal lol. There's an oldgal on here as well all this singing must be confusing the words in my brain. I would actually prefer to sing acappella b/c accompanists aren't always the most reliable in terms of rhythm and tempo it always seems they are going too fast or too slow for me but I was thinking and it may be that JD had to sing to one b/c they may have had to sing INXS songs for the first round in which case it would make more sense but since we don't know who the band is this year I'm hopeful {fingers crossed} it will be a cappella for the first round

TwistTie

TwistTie

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2006 @ 9:21 PM

But how can you possibly audition for a job without knowing who you will be working for/with, and what genre music you will be performing?

I sing pretty much everything except opera. I am a singer and I love to perform. Because of a previous lack of personal confidence I was never brave enough until a few years ago to really persue it. If it springboards me into opportunity all the better.

In the end I know if I don't take this chance to try I'll regret it. I've spent way to much time in my life regretting lost chances. I refuse to do that anymore.

I know nothing about singing, does it matter if there is an accompanist or not?

It really depends on how good the accompianst is. On several musical auditions in the past some are hard to follow, some are great at following you. I plan on doing this acapella. Technically I do have backing tracks for a lot of stuff but why clutter things up.