Psych: Fakin’ It

• Please log in to reply

11803 replies to this topic

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:01 AM

The murderer was on ER years ago as a top pediatric surgeon who had an affair with John Carter (she was blond then; Dr. Benton tried to learn from her). My hubby and I had to look it up ... I couldn't recognize her face, but her voice is so distinctive.

She was in Dick Tracy years ago. She was also the wife in Mr.Holland's Opus.

Glenne Headly will always be Janet Colgate from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to me!

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

Jules never answered Lassie's question of what part of female prisoner Jules had a problem with.

I thought he looked almost offended at the idea that Juliet would have a problem dating someone who happened to be in jail.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 8:43 AM

but what I saw was both well-done and underwhelming. There were a lot of things that I found impressive, and almost nothing I actually found compelling.

This sums it up nicely for me as well. There were some great individual scenes and lines, but it was kind of a 'the whole is less than the sum of its parts' episode.

And either the pacing or my attention span was way off (probably the latter!), because this episode felt bizarrely long to me---I kept thinking it was wrapping up, only to find we still had a long way to go!

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

Glenne Headly will always be Janet Colgate from Dirty Rotten Scoundrels to me!

Glenne Headly will always be Steve Martin's wife in every movie! LOL. I always love their films. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels convinced me from the beginning that she was the killer. Don't forget she was the bartender in the X-Files movie.

As for this episode, I always love Anthony Anderson as Antwon Mitchell from The Shield. I was half-expecting that he would whipped out a gun from the backseat of Blueberry and shot Shawn and Gus from the back! Anthony Anderson can play silly and scary at the same time. Unfortunately, I was kinda hoping he would do silly in this episode. He was a bit restraint IMO.

And there were two Glee actors in this episode; the actor who played the chef was Coach Tanaka, and the guy who played the culprit's son was the bully. I don't remember their names at the moment. I don't watch Glee much, but when Juliet's car was hit I was like, 'Whoa, that just happened on Glee when they hit Quinn's car from the side'.

Anyway, the episode wasn't as funny but I really liked the dynamic between everyone in this. Lassie was like, "You're gonna break up, aren't you?" With a gleeful tone.

By the way, where is the chief?

Shawn cracked me up when he was trying to persuade Thane to take them back, "Awh, come naw Thane! Don'tcha be like dat. Y'all know me and Gus still on your side, we never left tchoo." I was expecting Thane to punch Shawn in the face. Of course he would get offended! And you don't want to mess with Antwon, errr... I mean Thane.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 3:00 PM

And there were two Glee actors in this episode; the actor who played the chef was Coach Tanaka, and the guy who played the culprit's son was the bully.

The culprit's son is the football player who was/is dating Mercedes, right?

When Thane came out of prison and was making his statement, I thought Anderson was going to be really funny throughout the ep, but I don't think he quite worked. I think the character needed to be more comedic or exaggerated.

I liked Shawn's line, "Just ‘cause you put syrup on something’ don’t make it pancakes."

I was puzzled by Shawn and Gus telling Lassie near the end not to shoot the son (or father?). What was that about? It was a weird and completely inappropriate place for Shawn and Gus to make a joke, if that's what they were doing.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 4:57 PM

When Thane came out of prison and was making his statement, I thought Anderson was going to be really funny throughout the ep, but I don't think he quite worked. I think the character needed to be more comedic or exaggerated.

Me too! I thought he would be this goofy character going to extreme lengths to clear his name. Instead, he was half-goofy, half-genuinely angry. It would have been better if they made him funnier.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

The swings betw really angry and forgiving and/or goofy could have worked, but Anderson is the wrong actor for it. Maybe someone like Malcolm Barrett would have been better. What am I saying? Maybe? Of course he would have been better. He makes everything better, but I guess he can't reappear and play a different character.

BTW, I was convinced that Thane's lawyer was guilty of something. That was a strange character.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

I was puzzled by Shawn and Gus telling Lassie near the end not to shoot the son (or father?). What was that about? It was a weird and completely inappropriate place for Shawn and Gus to make a joke, if that's what they were doing.

We know that Lassie can get trigger happy (he did shoot Freddie Prinze Jr with a taser), and the guy had just slammed his truck into a car with Lassie and Jules in it. So you could fanwank it that Shawn and Gus knew that Lassie was pissed, and the smallest thing would set him off.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:17 PM

Plus, Gus is convinced that Lassiter is going to snap and kill someone he shouldn't one of these days and he has been for years.

DashDixon

DashDixon

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

Does Roday only have one shirt now or is wardrobe just pissed at him and doesn't bother to find him anything that fits?

Ailiana

Ailiana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 6:26 PM

BTW, I was convinced that Thane's lawyer was guilty of something. That was a strange character.

He played a dirty lawyer on Burn Notice and was dressed basically exactly the same with the same mannerisms, and I was convinced the entire time that he had to be up to something, just because he was so much like the other character. This even though it took me most of the episode to realize why he was so familiar.

Luciaphile

Luciaphile

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 7:10 PM

I fell asleep (was exhausted) around 10:45. Can anyone summarize the last 15 minutes for me? My stupid cable won't have the on-demand for days.

HoneyBee

HoneyBee

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:56 AM

No, he was the bully who liked to tormented the Glee club. The guy who dated Mercedes was a nice guy.

Can anyone summarize the last 15 minutes for me?

I think Thane got his reward money and bought a sport car. When he bid goodbye to Shawn, Gus, and Juliet (he hugged her a long time) and then drove away, he forgot to pay Shawn and Gus.

ETA: Anthony Anderson looked awfully thin. What happened to him?

Edited by HoneyBee, Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:57 AM.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 4:10 AM

I fell asleep (was exhausted) around 10:45. Can anyone summarize the last 15 minutes for me? My stupid cable won't have the on-demand for days.

Carl was the one committing the robberies, but after he was arrested his dad slammed his truck into Lassie's car, which was carrying Lassie, Jules, Carl, and Carl's girlfriend. The dad escaped with Carl, and it turned out that the dad had murdered someone in 1981, so that's why he was helping his son. If his son got arrested, his DNA would automatically be taken, and the police would see that it's a match for the unsolved homicide. The son turned himself in after hearing about it, and the dad dropped his gun allowing Lassie to arrest him.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:04 AM

and then drove away, he forgot to pay Shawn and Gus.

Yeah, he "forgot." Of course, even Shawn and Gus acknowledge that they weren't sure if they had actually been rehired or not.

gotta love it

gotta love it

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:04 PM

Why do Shawn and Gus never get to keep their money? Remember when the dad from Poker, I Barely Know Her gave them a lot of money? Shawn immediately lost it in roulette. Gosh darn it, I want them to finally get a large sum of money and keep it.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 4:44 PM

No, he was the bully who liked to tormented the Glee club. The guy who dated Mercedes was a nice guy.

Thanks. I thought it was the same guy. (Glee is not known for consistent characterizations.)

We know that Lassie can get trigger happy (he did shoot Freddie Prinze Jr with a taser), and the guy had just slammed his truck into a car with Lassie and Jules in it. So you could fanwank it that Shawn and Gus knew that Lassie was pissed, and the smallest thing would set him off.

Plus, Gus is convinced that Lassiter is going to snap and kill someone he shouldn't one of these days and he has been for years.

It still seemed weird that they would both shout out not to shoot the guy. WE knew Lassie wouldn't shoot the man. OR his son.

Shawn: Don't shoot him, Lassie.
Gus: He's unarmed.
Shawn: He's just a kid.
Gus: He's unarmed, Lassie.

It sounds like Shawn is talking about the son ("He's just a kid."). Gus may be talking about the father, who dropped his gun, but the son is also unarmed. The whole bit was just out of left field to me.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 5:29 PM

Who knew that Stoney Jackson (the dad) was still alive and kicking and looking ripped?

Okay, I don't know who did the casting, but Anthony Anderson (who knew he was so short, I mean neither Shawn or Gus are especially tall, and they are both much taller than Anderson) and the criminal son did not look sufficiently alike to me. Not only are they a different complexsion, but Anderson is older and smaller in both frame and height. If they had not thrown in the line about the father paying off the former boss (what an asswipe he was revealed to be, $5,000 to allow an innocent man who you personally knew rot in jail, not mourning his departure) being paid off by the father, I would say the episode went way too far into the all black people look alike , and not in a funny way.

Lassie was all kinds of awesome as per usual.

So we still have Shawn and Juliet as a couple, I was as hopeful as Lassie that a breakup was imminent.

carly hope

carly hope

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:29 AM

I love it when my fandoms collide. I may be behind on SPN bit I adore Chuck and it was nice to see "Azimio" and "Coach Tanaka" again even if I basically gave up on Glee about 16 months ago.

I liked the episode all right. It was funny and a rollercoaster and had some pretty sweet moments though my favorite one was Buzz. I love me some McNab any day of the week. His interactions with Shawn, or anyone, for that matter, priceless. I liked how he was appologetic but firm. And I lvoe that they addressed Gus job.

My favortie line was Juliet reminding Shawn to TiVo the Voice in middle of an argument and him responding angilly "Of course." Gotta love those two

Edited by carly hope, Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:32 AM.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 3:59 AM

I loved that too. "We might be arguing but I wouldn't punish either of us by neglecting to record that show!"

Pharangese

Pharangese

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:35 AM

I do miss Juliet's goofiness. She seems... too firm in this episode. Or a bit sarcastic.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:56 AM

I do miss Juliet's goofiness. She seems... too firm in this episode. Or a bit sarcastic.

And not just in this episode, at least IMO.

I remember at least two major trepidations many had about the inevitable Shawn/Juliet relationship. The first was that it would mean less quality time for Shawn/Gus, the soul of the show. I've been pleasantly surprised by how the writers have navigated that potentially show-ruining issue, and don't really think the Gus/Shawn dynamic has been altered much at all.

The second fear, though, was that pairing Juliet with the 'wacky' man-child Shawn would force her to play the role of the joyless, stern den mother who forever has to rein him in while inevitably becoming exasperated with his antics. Sadly, this worry has turned out to be very well-founded, at least for me. I do think one could easily make the argument that Juliet had lost some of her lighthearted, sunny goofiness even prior to her relationship with Shawn, but I think it's gotten worse. At this point, she's just the same no-nonsense, generic female cop we get on a million other shows---it feels like she's been robbed of all that once made her unique and likable, at least to me.

Edited by MsTaken, Apr 7, 2012 @ 9:57 AM.

Princess Aldrea

Princess Aldrea

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 1:34 PM

I don't think Juliet has been the same since Yin kidnapped her.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 4:05 PM

I've really enjoyed all of the recent episodes but reading comments above about Anderson being the wrong actor for Thane, I kind of wish the prisoner had been the fast-talking guy from an earlier season who often referred to himself in the 3rd person. I'm blanking on his name. He was hlarious. Although totally guilty.

The guest roles are so good on this show. They're usually one of my favorite parts--I want the psychic to come back--along with altered opening credits and all the little bits between Gus & Shawn.

frac ture

frac ture

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:26 PM

ChainofFools:

Who knew that Stoney Jackson (the dad) was still alive and kicking and looking ripped?

I'm almost positive that in a previous episode, Shawn actually makes some kind of reference to Stoney Jackson...

You know, I actually liked Anthony Anderson in this part. Any more over the top, and for me, he would have risked wandering over into Chris Tucker territory, and that's not something I can sanction. I thought Anthony pushed it just enough. And while I know I sure wouldn't want to spend two years and eight months on the inside, I still found it pretty amusing every time he'd wail about losing his whole life to wrongful imprisonment, and someone would clear their throat and gently correct him about the length of his stay. I also liked how Shawn was more way out than usual with his asides, to the point that Gus had to tell him several times that he wasn't making the slightest bit of sense.

I don't think I mind Jules being a bit more serious as much as I mind the fact that their relationship seems absolutely devoid of anything like even the smallest hint of an actual spark. They seem chaste or something, like two grade school kids who kissed once and have declared themselves Valentines. I certainly don't want to see them all over each other, but after the long build up to their couple-hood, this seems actually kind of creepy to me. Maybe that's just me...

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 8:55 PM

I've really enjoyed all of the recent episodes but reading comments above about Anderson being the wrong actor for Thane, I kind of wish the prisoner had been the fast-talking guy from an earlier season who often referred to himself in the 3rd person. I'm blanking on his name. He was hlarious. Although totally guilty.

Are you talking about Wally? That's Malcolm Barrett. I was thinking about him too and mentioned him here.

Alexandria Bay

Alexandria Bay

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 7:54 AM

Yes, I think that's him. I couldn't remember the name of either the character or the actor but remember loving the performance and wanting him to return.

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

I'm almost positive that in a previous episode, Shawn actually makes some kind of reference to Stoney Jackson...

I'm almost positive that Shawn and Gus have made more than a couple of references to Stoney Jackson over the years. So much so that the last time they mentioned him (sometime this season), I thought that it was high time that they got Stoney Jackson on this show. I was hoping that he would play himself though, just so that they could make a Stoney Jackson reference to the actual Stoney Jackson. When he didn't show up after the first few mentions, I thought it was because he was no longer alive, but I'm happy to see that he is.

Edited by Mita_Jo, Apr 8, 2012 @ 3:07 PM.

wessex

wessex

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

I

don't think I mind Jules being a bit more serious as much as I mind the fact that their relationship seems absolutely devoid of anything like even the smallest hint of an actual spark. They seem chaste or something, like two grade school kids who kissed once and have declared themselves Valentines. I certainly don't want to see them all over each other, but after the long build up to their couple-hood, this seems actually kind of creepy to me. Maybe that's just me...

Shawn likes the chase but doesn't know what to do when he catches a girl. Remember what's-her-name? I love the show, love the Shawn/Gus dynamic, but I always think at some point during a show what a horrible husband Shawn would be. Now, Gus has potential. ;-)

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:05 PM

Holy. Shit. I cannot believe the show just went there! And in retrospect, I kind of can't believe I didn't see it coming, what with Henry retiring and he and Shawn being on such adorably good terms. I'm pretty sure he's not going to die, but that's still really dark.

I loved this episode mostly for the Shawn/Henry stuff. I love how much Shawn idealized Henry as a cop, and how much he remembers and pays respect to his past work. And there was some fun snarky stuff between them.

Glad to see Shawn and Juliet get some time to actually be affectionate and cute together. I'm not sure why the show has been so stingy with those moments, but it's unfortunate, because it means we don't see enough of Juliet's softer, sunnier side, which used to be what made her refreshing.

Gus's sweet tooth was hilarious.