Psych: Fakin’ It

• Please log in to reply

11803 replies to this topic

DeathCabForUgly

DeathCabForUgly

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 8, 2006 @ 5:45 PM

They really should get rid of the cop played by the guy who used to be on Judging Amy. Didn't like him there. Don't like him here.

Ah, I knew stopping in on this thread would be a good idea! I couldn't figure out where I'd seen that guy before, and it (along with the fact that his character just bugged) had me distracted during every scene he was in.

The pilot certainly didn't disappoint. Admittedly, I only checked it out because someone over at the GH thread mentioned that Corbin was in it, and I like seeing misused GH cast members go on to bigger and better things. I found his role here a lot more interesting.

2chacha

2chacha

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 8, 2006 @ 5:47 PM

Big OMG moment for me when we first saw the (interim) chief of police: Young Delores Landingham!

She'll always be Lorraine Ross from BtVS to me.

The first thing I thought was, "Nice to see that she's moved beyond the Doublemeat Palace..."

I really enjoyed this show. and laughed through the entire thing. I too absolutely lost it over Gus's girly shriek, and the guy in lock-up who raised his hand through the bars (VERY Joss Whedon).

mara

mara

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2006 @ 7:17 PM

I didn't realize it until reading the James Roday entry on the USA Network site -- he was in Miss Match. His character, Nick, was my favorite, and the main reason I was sad when it got cancelled. Maybe "Psych" will do well enough that someone will dig up Miss Match for a dvd release.

Java Dog

Java Dog

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2006 @ 8:20 PM

I'll add to the love for the show I'm reading. I was surprised when it didn't seem to be wrapping up at the 1 hour mark, and then I noticed Tivo's bar showing 1.5 hours. But time went by quickly, and I wasn't bored.

I thought Roday did a skillful job of treading the line between charming ne'er do well and jackass. It will be interesting to see if the writers can continue to keep that balance. I'm also willing to give the "overplaying skeptic" the benefit of the doubt for the first few eps until they find the right tone.

I know people complain about Monk for the lack of riveting mysteries, but that's not why I watch it (and apparently, will now be watching this). I like the characters, the chuckles and "vibe" it sends out. I've got plenty of other TV to stimulate my need for obsessive mystery solving.

Psych is season-passed and I'll definitely be back.

Caerbhaill

Caerbhaill

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 8, 2006 @ 8:24 PM

I liked the show but am hoping that the characters come into their own in the coming episodes. It usually takes a bit of time for a new series to find itself and this one certainly has potential.

One thing that did bug me a bit is the way James Roday is totally channeling Zach Braff as J.D. Dorian. Once I saw it I couldn't unsee it, and the similarity in their speech patterns is really uncanny.

Edited by Caerbhaill, Jul 8, 2006 @ 8:22 PM.

dazzy

dazzy

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2006 @ 8:37 PM

I think my favorite part was:

"What magnification are these binoculars?"
"2x."
"OK, we need to go to Wal-Mart after this."

Wacoshade

Wacoshade

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2006 @ 8:45 PM

Re: Corbin...
He was brilliant, but totally mis/underused in General Hospital last year. BUT, I can't get past him being a crazy mofo (funny as all sin too) on Celebrity Mole. Everytime I see him, I see him sneering at and peppering poor Ahmad Rashad with questions. "What does 'what' mean, man? Is that a clue? DON'T LIE TO ME! WE DO IT MY WAY" Freaky.

Heh. WERD. He is forever 'crazy hockey dad' to me. *TM Kathy Griffin

I too absolutely lost it over Gus's girly shriek

It Was Priceless.

"What magnification are these binoculars?"
"2x."
"OK, we need to go to Wal-Mart after this."

Hahahaha. That was good. And I liked that they kept on using it so it was a continual joke... first the joke about the Sports Illustrated logo on it, then when they stole the bag of clothes ("man, we really need to get some better binoculars") and your quote. Haha.

I still crack up when they were digging through the trash.
"Gasp"
"What?!"
"This CD case is totally nice!"

HAhaha. I know it was played in every goddam commercial previewing this show, but that continuously cracks my shit up.

ILNative

ILNative

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2006 @ 8:58 PM

Punch my ticket on the Totally Loved It train!

It was funnier than I thought it would be, and James Roday? Rowr. I've always been a sucker for smarmy and good-looking, so I watched the whole show thinking, "Back in the day, I'd been on him like white on rice."

Can't wait for next week!

SnippyScholar

SnippyScholar

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2006 @ 10:01 PM

I liked it and will be back next Friday. I especially enjoyed the part that they used in the ads where they see the dog through the 2x binoculars and realize they got it right, and start jumping up and down like kids. Heh.

Any character with Holmes-like powers of observation just kills me.

LT

LT

Fanatic

Posted Jul 8, 2006 @ 10:03 PM

and one of extras in the holding cell sticks his arm through the bars too. The sight of that lone arm just killed me.

Loved that bit, along with the afore-mentioned binoculars and girly-screaming Gus.

Psych is season-passed

Yup. I just wish that all the repeats didn't have slightly different lengths of time because they are all showing up on my To Do list.

mekkio

mekkio

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 8, 2006 @ 11:01 PM

Good eye, Eegah. That is the same actor, Timothy Omundson.

I was watching the show thinking just about the same thing. "Where do I know this guy from?"

Now I know. Thanks.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jul 8, 2006 @ 11:11 PM

Actually, it was because of the earlier poster, who mentioned that despite all the knocks we were all giving the guy, he was great on Xena, so I IMDb'ed him.

PunIntended

PunIntended

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 12:03 AM

I almost never watch series premeire shows but I was pleasantly surprised by Psych. I think Gus is my favorite. Girly scream, locking the car door, throwing up... hee.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 1:00 AM

I'm also willing to give the "overplaying skeptic" the benefit of the doubt for the first few eps until they find the right tone.

I am also. Yes, Lassiter is this show's Stottlemeyer, but I think he will eventually come to believe in Shawn's abilities. However, I think he should remain skeptical for a while. I mean, the guy is claiming to be psychic, so a good amount of skepticism is understandable.

Anyway, I actually like the Lassiter character so far and I thought he was kinda funny. (I don't recall seeing this actor in any other show, so I don't associate him negatively with his other characters). It cracked me up when Shawn told him not to order the chicken and he proceeds to order a chicken enchilada with extra chicken.

Edited by Nikki125, Jul 9, 2006 @ 1:04 AM.

Killarney

Killarney

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 1:31 AM

I have no idea what it means, but stylistically it's pretty cool: the promo backdrop/text, Shawn's shirt and later again his sweatshirt, Dule's bedsheets and a print on the wall of his apartment, the Chief's office, the bulletin board (poster?) in the new 'Psych' office, even Dule's shirt in his blog photo is green. And those are just off the top of my head. It must mean something (other than just a bored set/costume designer)!

um ... that you're "psychic"?

(I totally did not notice any of those)

roosterboy

roosterboy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 3:14 AM

It cracked me up when Shawn told him not to order the chicken and he proceeds to order a chicken enchilada with extra chicken.

Y'know, that's really the only one of Shawn's observations that annoyed me. He told the cop to avoid the chicken because of who was cooking that day, but how did he know who was cooking? Did I miss a quick flash of something that would tell us? Or are we supposed to assume he saw something that clued him in?

Nell Huxleigh

Nell Huxleigh

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 3:32 AM

Maybe it was the day of the week or the time if he's a regular?

I loved the pilot so much. It was laugh out loud funny for me at times, like at the lakehouse when they started jumping up and down from excitement like little boys.

My only nitpicking complaint was that every woman on the show had the same blonde hair and it kept me from remembering their names.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 3:57 AM

Y'know, that's really the only one of Shawn's observations that annoyed me. He told the cop to avoid the chicken because of who was cooking that day, but how did he know who was cooking? Did I miss a quick flash of something that would tell us? Or are we supposed to assume he saw something that clued him in?

Maybe someone can confirm this as I didn't tape the ep and can't go back and check, but I believe that part of the kitchen could be seen from the outside of the restaurant. I seem to remember that Shawn and Gus were looking directly at the cook when Shawn said that the guy's hay fever(?) was going to be acting up because it was a windy day. I also think that restaurant is a cop hangout, so maybe Shawn had been in there a lot and knows the staff.

Edited by Nikki125, Jul 9, 2006 @ 6:29 AM.

BostonsKrissy

BostonsKrissy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 5:47 AM

Yeah, that's true.

Anyway, I know some posters upthreat were commenting about Monk. I was a devoted viewer in tand the only thing that carries it along the first season up until Sharon left, and even then I started to get tired of the storylines.

After a while all the episodes become predictable, so I hope the same doesn't happen to psych. We get the father complex arc but besides that I hope we can dive deeper with his mother's situation and the whole divorce. I also want to learn more about Gus' background, and their frienship during High School.

BTW, was it ever explained why the hell Shawn's father would make him learn that ability and basically drill his skills? There's gotta be something there, right?

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 8:24 AM

Did those huge dog food bags in the trash ever mean anything?

I didn't even realize until I came here that the show was 90 minutes; the time certainly zipped by. Neither did I notice the Everglades in Santa Barbara. Heh. But maybe the cabin was near Neverland Ranch, where magic is possible. \sarcasm

I got a chuckle out of Gus being, like every third reality show contestant, in pharmaceutical sales. It was a nice plot point that he was actually able to use his knowledge to help the investigation at a couple of points. Another sight gag besides the ones mentioned that made me smile was Shawn scootching over on the couch to use the phone with that girl still on his lap.

As for Shawn's dad drilling him in memory/observation exercises, I figure it was just because Henry was a cop and it was a skill he wanted to pass on to his kid. That and his Great Santini-ish control issues.

So I guess Shawn is an updated Sherlock, with a touch of Rockford's whimsy and wry humor. Works for me.

Edited by queasy, Jul 9, 2006 @ 8:26 AM.

StKatherine

StKatherine

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 9:29 AM

As for Shawn's dad drilling him in memory/observation exercises, I figure it was just because Henry was a cop and it was a skill he wanted to pass on to his kid.

I agree. Henry wanted Shawn to follow in his footsteps, and when Shawn resolutely refused to do so (as he mentioned fairly frequently), Henry was very hurt, so he doesn't want to play into what he considers a mockery of what he did his whole career (i.e., "I hate two things- private investigators and psychics. congratulations, you hit the exacta").

dellrio

dellrio

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 10:18 AM

Big OMG moment for me when we first saw the (interim) chief of police: Young Delores Landingham!

Thank you! I knew I knew her from somewhere but could not place her!

Loved Dulle and he may be the thing that keeps me watching as I am not crazy about the Shawn character. He is right on the edge of being over the line.

Show is ok and since it is summer worth watching again. With the Monk lead in it is probably safe at least for one season.

fiftyfifty

fiftyfifty

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 10:49 AM

Did those huge dog food bags in the trash ever mean anything?

My first thought was that the son knew he was potentially going to be 'kidnapped' for a while, so he wanted to bring enough dog food for the duration. What doesn't make sense is why he would open all of the dog food before transporting it to the cabin. I could see opening one to put in a different container, but given how giant each of the bags were, opening all of them at once seems a bit illogical.

FiftyNinth

FiftyNinth

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 11:05 AM

So what's the deal with the female cop? Anne Dudek was in the premiere, but she's not listed as being part of the cast list on the show website, nor is she on IMDB for this show. They both list Maggie Lawson ("It's All Relative"), who's "cuter," but I kinda liked the pale Dudek in this premiere ep.

GovMarley

GovMarley

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 11:33 AM

I noticed that, too. I wonder if Anne Dudek didn't get a good reaction during screenings and they didn't bother to reshoot the pilot, they just recast. Anne Dudek had a "Chloe-24" thing happening. Maybe it was her delivery.

I'm not familiar with Maggie Lawson, but she looks like Alicia Silverstone in the picture on Psych's website.

sarcasmdetected

sarcasmdetected

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 11:51 AM

Kickass. I was fully expecting to be disappointed after having to wait a good six months between the first previews (after the Monk season ended?), and Friday. But James Roday is perfect - funny, charming - and the camera just loves him. Dule Hill's girly screams made me laugh and laugh. I love how the character of Gus has never watched a detective show.

Alley scene: "What are you doing here?" "I was trying to help" "You locked the doors!" "It's a bad neighborhood. Later, as they run away from the thrift shop: "You sold me out! - Didn't you know you were supposed to be the decoy?"

I love how two old, good friends are still suffering from fundamental communication problems. I will tune in every week to see hilarity ensue from their hyjinx.

Quick question: are we to infer that Corbin Bernsen was the police chief before heading to Florida, which explains why Shawn always made a point of calling DoubleMeat Manager (thank you posters!) the "Interim"? If they made that explicit somewhere, I totally missed it.

dazzy

dazzy

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 11:53 AM

Anne Dudek was in the premiere, but she's not listed as being part of the cast list on the show website, nor is she on IMDB for this show. They both list Maggie Lawson ("It's All Relative"), who's "cuter," but I kinda liked the pale Dudek in this premiere ep.

That sucks, I liked Dudek. She was in an episode of How I Met Your Mother, and she was very funny. I am not a big fan of TV's Nancy Drew.

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 12:00 PM

One of the things I liked most about Shawn is that he's just a really big kid. He's reasoning for doing half the stuff he did in the pilot was "It will be fun."

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 12:20 PM

I thought this was ok. I fell asleep half an hour into it, but it wasn't the show's fault.

Loved Dule the best out of the characters so far.

Hopefully, they'll work in a little of the background at the beginning of the show, showing Shawn being drilled on the observation skills.

Funny how the two detectives were so sure no one knew they were going out/sleeping together. One time, a girl at work picked a piece of link off this other guy's shirt. Knew immediately that they were going out. You don't do something that intimate without having permission already. Same thing at work now with another couple.

On the Corbin Bernson character...way to be a big honkin' cliche.

ETA: The male detective looks like a youngish Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean/Blackadder)

Edited by isiscloud, Jul 9, 2006 @ 12:24 PM.

MrPissyPuppy

MrPissyPuppy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 9, 2006 @ 12:29 PM

What doesn't make sense is why he would open all of the dog food before transporting it to the cabin. I could see opening one to put in a different container, but given how giant each of the bags were, opening all of them at once seems a bit illogical.

It did seem like overkill, but I generally buy a 40 pound bag of dog food and store it in two Rubbermaid containers, so maybe he was transferring them to a big bin or two for storage and it was easier to transport that way. Good quality foods = generally feeding less to the dog because there's not as much filler crap.

Cute show - I enjoyed it and will watch a few more.