Psych: Fakin’ It

• Please log in to reply

11803 replies to this topic

ciscokidinsf

ciscokidinsf

Fanatic

Posted Feb 21, 2006 @ 3:53 PM

New Series: If super-attentive-cops are your thing like Monk or Detective Goren, you just got lucky again. More details HERE

(Los Angeles, CA - Feb. 17, 2006) USA Network is building on its 2006 original programming slate with an 11-episode order for the one-hour series PSYCH, starring James Roday ("Dukes of Hazzard," "Miss Match"), Dule Hill ("The West Wing") and Corbin Bernsen ("Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang," "LA Law"). Series is executive produced by Steve Franks ("Big Daddy")

PSYCH, centers on Shawn Spencer (Roday), who possesses uncanny powers of observation honed by his police officer father, Henry (Bernsen), who drilled young Shawn to note even the smallest details of his surroundings. When Shawn is accused of committing a crime that he actually solved for the police department (by calling in a tip), he convinces the cops that he's a psychic, and with the reluctant assistance of his best-friend Gus (Hill), Shawn starts solving cases for an ever-skeptical - but grudgingly impressed - police force.

Hmm... USA already airs Monk and L&O CI at all hours of the day and night... so who will notice another super-attentive investigator?? Fakin' it as a Psychic will be the only original twist in this show. Plus we all know Corbin Bernsen kills TV series at the mere mention of his name. So I don't think this one will hang around for a long time.

Thoughts?

raspberrytea

raspberrytea

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 2:48 PM

I will be watching just for Dule Hill.

CouponTheMovie

CouponTheMovie

Fanatic

Posted Jun 16, 2006 @ 5:42 PM

Is anyone else bothered by the very premise of this show? Are we supposed to learn to like a fake psychic (a redundancy, of course) who, like all con men, is able to study people's body language and "read" them? If this were real life, his actions would cause somebody to die at some point, especially if the cops believed him and took resources away from where they were needed and used them where they were not. I saw the "characters wanted" commercial with Monk and the psychic, and that's exactly what con men do. This guy better be really charming if they don't want me to hate him and think of him as a despicable human being. Damn charming.

But, I'll be watching.

Edited by CouponTheMovie, Jun 16, 2006 @ 5:44 PM.

oakLeaf

oakLeaf

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 20, 2006 @ 8:05 PM

Ack, I accidentally started another thread for this show because I can't spell it, so it didn't show up in my search. I'm an idiot. Many apologies.

I'm hoping they don't try to treat this too seriously. If it feels too "real", I think I will be upset about promoting psychics being used in forensics. It already seems like there is enough of that crap going on in real life. The Dead Zone doesn't bother me much because it's so obviously not real even if they treat it real. Hmm, I'm not sure that made any sense.

Dule Hill is actually a big negative to me. He was on Celebrity Poker Showdown and bugged me so much, I really have no wish to see him any more.

Leaper

Leaper

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2006 @ 10:45 PM

I think part of the way they seem to be trying to avoid some of the problems mentioned above is by making it so that, unlike "real" psychic detectives, this one isn't just pulling stuff out of his ass. He's actually giving genuine information, based on observation, deduction, and photographic memory, but packaging that information as if he were psychic.

dazzy

dazzy

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2006 @ 12:07 PM

Edited by dazzy, Jan 19, 2007 @ 10:25 AM.

mishy

mishy

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2006 @ 1:32 PM

Hey dazzy I think this show premieres in July possibly the 7th. Monk should be back then too.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jun 23, 2006 @ 1:50 PM

Apart from being glad that Dule Hill has a new series, I wasn't very interested in this until I saw a commercial during the AFI tribute to Sean Connery. I smiled a lot, laughed out loud a few times, and decided that we really have to at least give it a try. And, yes, it's being packaged with "Monk", which is being moved to an hour earlier on the USA lineup on Friday night.

dazzy

dazzy

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2006 @ 7:28 AM

Edited by dazzy, Jan 19, 2007 @ 10:30 AM.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 12:06 AM

I had heard that Corbin Bernsen had a new series, but I couldn't remember the name of it. I just saw the banner at the top of TWoP and decided to check out its site. Definitely looks funny.

I'll be TiVo-ing it July 7th.

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2006 @ 3:07 AM

I think this looks fun. I'm going to give it a shot.

BooBear

BooBear

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 1, 2006 @ 5:45 PM

I just saw the pilot "on demand" and it made me laugh so hard! I thought it was very funny.

It doesn't exactly have a good story and Dule Hill was wasted in the first episode but the main character was so funny I didn't notice. Definately will watch the second episode.

phillipscrwdrvr

phillipscrwdrvr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 1, 2006 @ 5:57 PM

Oooh, good to hear! I'm looking forward to watching the first episode. I think the commercials look funny.

GovMarley

GovMarley

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2006 @ 2:30 AM

I just watched it on On Demand and I gotta tell you, I loved it. It was definitely funny.

havemycake

havemycake

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2006 @ 7:27 AM

Definitely a fan. I caught it on "on demand" as well and was cracking up the entire time. I hope it does well.

Nailbiter

Nailbiter

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 2, 2006 @ 8:13 AM

I also watched the sneak preview on On Demand (I heard On Demand will also be showing the new eps of Psych and Monk the day after they run, thank you USA Network!)

I can't stand "real" fake psychics, (I believe all so-called psychics are charlatans) but I like this show. It's funny, and no more real than Monk is, where the jokes and characters matter a great deal more than plot consistencies or solving mysteries.

James Roday reminds me of Mark Harmon in the movie Summer School.

Layell

Layell

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 2, 2006 @ 9:36 PM

There are a several promo clips up on Youtube. I'm assuming it's a part of the deal they made with NBC.

Are the OnDemand viewings only for Time Warner cable?

GovMarley

GovMarley

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2006 @ 10:27 PM

No, we have the local, rinky-dink cable company that all-around sucks, and we've got it here.

Edited by GovMarley, Jul 2, 2006 @ 10:27 PM.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2006 @ 10:30 PM

My cable co. must suck more than I thought because it's not showing this. I tried the "More" section of On Demand and there was nothing but the Monk section, which isn't active yet. Oh well. I'll just have to wait until Friday. I am glad to hear that it's funny, though.

Edited by Nikki125, Jul 2, 2006 @ 10:38 PM.

GovMarley

GovMarley

Fanatic

Posted Jul 2, 2006 @ 11:19 PM

Well, I may have good news for you, then, because Psych was coupled with Monk on my On Demand. Just keep checking, because it may pop up there.

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Jul 3, 2006 @ 2:01 AM

Thanks, GovMarley. You were right. I tried it again and they are bundled together. For some reason, it took forever for them to show up on the display.

Anyway, I thought it was pretty good and quite funny. Although, I'm not sure putting this back-to-back with Monk is such a good idea since both shows are so similar to each other, but I still plan to watch it anyway.

tomsmom

tomsmom

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 3, 2006 @ 8:15 PM

They have the whole first episode on my OnDemand under Free Programs but you have to click on Monk on USA to find it. I really liked it, more than I thouht I would.

The 2nd Evil

The 2nd Evil

Stalker

Posted Jul 3, 2006 @ 10:08 PM

I'm another who caught the pilot OnDemand and loved it. I have to say my favorite part was When they found the guys dead, and Gus excuses himself then you hear his somewhat girly scream off-screen.

angiebee

angiebee

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2006 @ 2:30 AM

When they found the guys dead, and Gus excuses himself then you hear his somewhat girly scream off-screen.
LOL! I loved that part.

I'm kicking myself. I've been holding on to the DVD of this for a few weeks (It was passed out when I went to see 'Nacho Libre') and never watched it because I thought it would suck. I'm so wrong. I love this show. I can't wait to watch other episodes.

GraydonCarter

GraydonCarter

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2006 @ 7:13 AM

Lucky. Whenever I go to the movies all I ever get is gum on the bottom of my shoe.

dartmouthhoop

dartmouthhoop

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 5, 2006 @ 4:51 PM

Count me in as "meh" on this episode. I too saw it "on demand" and found the lead character somewhat insufferable. It's not a terrible show....very similar to "Monk" in tone etc. These types of shows are a little too slow in plotting/unrealistic for my taste.

puckish

puckish

Fanatic

Posted Jul 6, 2006 @ 5:53 PM

I saw the On Demand preview, too, and liked it at least as much as I like Monk. I thought the main character's charm and funniness made up for the fact that he is, essentially, a charlatan. I didn't really see why he pulled Gus into his hijinx, but whatever. I even liked Corbin Bernsen. He's aging well. I was pleased there were several lines that made me laugh out loud. I don't do that very often when I'm watching TV. I've gotten the Season Pass on TiVo, and I've prioritized it in the top ten. Yeah, that's how much I liked this show.

phillipscrwdrvr

phillipscrwdrvr

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2006 @ 9:20 PM

Yeah, that's how much I liked this show.

Me too! I've set it up for Season Pass. I hope the quality doesn't decline in the next few episodes. It made me laugh a lot. Good times, good times.

Edited by phillipscrwdrvr, Jul 6, 2006 @ 9:20 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2006 @ 10:24 PM

I mostly liked it, but they really have to dial down the asshole cop. I was reminded of Sheriff Fuckface from Veronica Mars, who the writers are still refusing to give an ounce of humanity after two seasons.

I knew it was the dad as soon as they zoomed in on the bandaged arm, though I thought it was because he scraped it on the table, hence the blood smear.

I loved Dule Hill in Holes; he just has these very wide, sad eyes that look like the weight of the world is contained in them. Great to see he can be funny too.

Edited by Eegah, Jul 7, 2006 @ 10:26 PM.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2006 @ 10:29 PM

If the pilot is anything to go by, I'm going to like this show. I love that it didn't take itself seriously, they just had fun with it.

Gus screaming after finding the bodies was funny. As was

Shawn: "I solved the mystery of who kept taking your newspapers. It was me."

I'll definitely be back.