2-13: "Skin Deep" 2006.02.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

559 replies to this topic

Taiga

Taiga

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2006 @ 6:24 PM

I think this the only episode where he schedules a patient in with a psych visit

I noticed that too. And beeble did say that House deserved punching, not Hugh Laurie.

Siren17

Siren17

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 31, 2006 @ 5:59 PM

House definietely was more bastard-ish than normal but I think he was ruder to the father in 'Detox' than Alex's father in 'Skin Deep'.

As to what someone was saying the page before, Alex wasn't that pretty but the other day I saw "Entourage" and the same actress was in it (or someone who looks extremely similar to her) and I think she looked nice. I also thought that the casting director could have done a better job in finding someone who looked 15. Because this actress clearly wasn't 15, model or not.

OneLargeToe

OneLargeToe

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 1, 2006 @ 7:35 PM

Great episode.

Can anyone identify the techno song being played during the runway scene?

Lizzim

Lizzim

Fanatic

Posted Dec 1, 2006 @ 9:17 PM

I'm not going to assume that they wouldn't be called just because House doesn't like paperwork.

There's no paperwork. It's a phone call, and documentation on the chart (which is no more than the documentation associated with an x-ray or a blood test). And PPTH doesn't really have a choice about reporting - healthcare providers including doctors are mandated reporters in most states. It doesn't matter who from the team makes the call - House, Cameron, Cuddy - as long as the call gets made. In the real world, I'm not sure that this line of reasoning would fly but it was perfectly believeable in the House world - House wasn't downplaying the abuse, he was keeping the patient safe but also ensuring his access to information.

I did think that House made it quite clear that, with Alex living in a glass walled room, she was perfectly safe from further molestation by her father which was why he postponed calling CPS. Once he had the diagnosis (you know, to save her life and all), I think he was fine with CPS being called. I don't think he'd do it himself - for the same reason he doesn't do MRIs or draw blood - that's what the ducklings are for. But there's no paperwork; no red tape on his end.

For the record, in the real world, hospital staff (doctors and nurses) generally call their own social workers, who then call CPS. That meets their obligation as mandated reporters and puts the social work with social workers, freeing up the medical people to do the medical stuff.

But House ogling his 15-year-old patient? Eeeewww. And saying "She's a sex-object and gets paid for it so I, a 40-something doctor can leer all I want," is also gross. This ep was written by frustrated middle-age men.

Or it was written by writers who recognize the profound hypocrisy in a society that pressures models to have the bodies of preadolescents; that on the one hand says it's wrong to sexualize children but on the other hand, puts them up on billboards half naked to sell everything from underwear to deoderant. House's point was very well taken - somehow it's gross for him to comment on Alex's looks, but it's fine for Madison Avenue to pay her millions to provoke exactly that reaction? Please...

I am a teacher and have worked in depth with social workers (and my mother has been a child-welfare worker) and I KNOW that no CPS agent would have one interview and then say "They both deny it! Stop wasting my time!" Crappy writing.

I am a social worker and I do work in child welfare and I commented on this very point when the episode first aired - what else would you have the CPS worker do? When both parties deny that anything inappropriate took place, there's little recourse available. A medical exam might show that she's sexually active, but she could claim a teenage boyfriend, which is not illegal. It's incredibly frustrating to know that abuse has taken place, but unless the victim owns up to it (or the offender confesses - which is unlikely), there's really nothing left that can be done.

But it did bug me that the social worker made it seem like Cameron was the one at fault for reporting it.

I don't think she was annoyed that Cameron reported it - I think she was justifiably annoyed at Cameron's implication that she should have done something more than she did.

Silja

Silja

Fanatic

Posted Dec 2, 2006 @ 11:30 AM

Fluke - Atom Bomb

Highway Star

Highway Star

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 2, 2006 @ 1:56 PM

"Atom Bomb" by Fluke.

tekdemon

tekdemon

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 21, 2007 @ 5:40 PM

You know, while Alex being an XY female might explain the rage outbursts, it totally doesn't explain this whole "pure estrogen" nonsense. For one thing you usually would need estrogen therapy since you don't have actual ovaries making estrogen. So more or less she would never have developed very much at all, let alone be "perfect".

On top of which, having hair down there isn't something that only men have, so I'm not even sure why House asked Cameron that?!

Then again I let this show slide with all it's other horribly wrong medical stuff so I guess I shouldn't pick this episode to start poking holes in things.

Silja

Silja

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2007 @ 5:56 PM

tekdemon, I find that the medicine was okay as far as the symptoms of androgen insensitivity is concerned. What I can't get over is that Cameron missed the absence of a cervix and Wilson of a uterus *shakes head*

Genetic males with complete insensitivity to androgens develop breast during puberty (but probably not 'perfect love-apples', I'll grant you that) and have sparse of absent pubic hair - and undescended testes have higher risk of developing cancer so it's passable medicine apart from the diagnostic process.

Edited by Silja, Jan 21, 2007 @ 5:56 PM.

tekdemon

tekdemon

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 21, 2007 @ 9:55 PM

Silja, mostly it was the whole "she's the perfect woman" thing that made it extra annoying, since she'd probably just be a pretty undeveloped looking female.

Oh and the way house asked about the pubic hair wouldn't have told anybody anything, it's not like you have tons of pubic hair at 15 either way. The cancer thing is about the only thing that was accurate, but yeah, I didn't even realize that when they were examining her they would have to have been completely insane to not notice the complete absence of a uterus and cervix, lol.

On a non-episode related side note, how many times is House going to suggest cancer related auto-immune responses as the answer this season? I've been watching season 1 and 2 to catch up over the last week or so, but seriously it's been used as a possible explanation at least 3 times over the last 10 episodes (and thus every episode it feels like they're looking for a tumor that they then have trouble finding).

Silja

Silja

Fanatic

Posted Jan 22, 2007 @ 6:14 AM

On a non-episode related side note, how many times is House going to suggest cancer related auto-immune responses as the answer this season?

It's the new lupus.

littleblue

littleblue

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2007 @ 11:34 AM

Silja, mostly it was the whole "she's the perfect woman" thing that made it extra annoying, since she'd probably just be a pretty undeveloped looking female.

Actually, they got the syndrome pretty right in this ep. There are several syndromes that are all referred to as androgen insensitivity syndrome collectively. Basically, just the receptors that respond to testosterone don't work. Since it's not so much the absolute amount of hormone that the body produces or responds to that is important as the relative amounts - and males produce plenty of estrogen, too, they just normally produce more testosterone - these people develop responding only to estrogens. The result is a basically normal looking female, although they tend to be taller and thinner, so more 'model-like'.

Elfdream

Elfdream

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2007 @ 11:25 AM

Watching this again last night made me determined to find Bach's French Suite No. 5 in G Major and learn to play it. It might take me two years to master it but I'm going to do it.

Edited by Elfdream, May 8, 2007 @ 11:25 AM.

BoffleBobbie

BoffleBobbie

Fanatic

• Interests:Hugh Laurie, OBE, acting god, director, comedian, musician, author, and oarsman.

Posted May 8, 2007 @ 11:56 AM

Ha! Good for you, Elfdream. It is a lovely piece. Are you going to learn it with the duff note that causes House to stop and open the Vicodin bottle (one-handed, mind you)? The Bach piece is way over my head, though I was inspired to learn the Eton boating song. {g} HL fans don't just watch, they do!

It was great to see this one again: the parallel of House giving him/her the placebo for diagnostic purposes (which didn't work) and Cuddy giving House the placebo (which did work). Interesting in light of later events.

Also, when Wilson asks House how many people he has to kill before he acknowledge a problem and House says "three." How many has he actually killed since then? In addition to Lupe? This seemed like a quip more than a prediction, but now I wonder...

090108joanna

090108joanna

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2007 @ 12:13 PM

Good for you, Elfdream. It is a lovely piece.

Elfdream: After Skin Deep first aired, I bought the Schirmer book of Bach French Suites and learned the first movement of Suite No. 5. You'll enjoy learning it, and it's really not that hard (it sounds harder than it is). The fact that it's in G major helps a lot. It's really beautiful, especially all the parts after House stopped playing. And I don't consider myself a great pianist (took lessons all through childhood but the hardest things I really ever mastered were Bach two-part inventions). So, enjoy!

MadDogGirl

MadDogGirl

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2007 @ 12:17 PM

HL fans don't just watch, they do!

BoffleBobbie, that is now going to be my personal motto :D

Elfdream

Elfdream

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2007 @ 12:55 PM

Ha! Good for you, Elfdream. It is a lovely piece. Are you going to learn it with the duff note that causes House to stop and open the Vicodin bottle (one-handed, mind you)? The Bach piece is way over my head, though I was inspired to learn the Eton boating song. {g} HL fans don't just watch, they do!

Heheh...I thought about that. I wanted him to keep going but they had to have their 'meaningful' moment.

Elfdream: After Skin Deep first aired, I bought the Schirmer book of Bach French Suites and learned the first movement of Suite No. 5. You'll enjoy learning it, and it's really not that hard (it sounds harder than it is). The fact that it's in G major helps a lot. It's really beautiful, especially all the parts after House stopped playing. And I don't consider myself a great pianist (took lessons all through childhood but the hardest things I really ever mastered were Bach two-part inventions). So, enjoy!

Oh..thanks for letting me know what book to buy. I had visions of going to the music store and just having a vague idea of what to ask for. I've played some Bach so he's not a complete stranger to me. I'm looking forward to it.

Taiga

Taiga

Fanatic

Posted Jul 30, 2007 @ 10:51 PM

nikita, while 'House' is a show that usually treats the subject of non-heterosexuality respectfully in this episode intersexuality was dealt with badly. Dr. House thinks nothing of gay sex and BSDM, he was even weirdly knowledgeable about the psychology of bestiality in one ep, but here he treated an intersexual patient like a freak.
In another thread I said

I've got this desire to see a TV character (or hell, book character) have an intersexual baby and NOT have him/her surgically altered to be a boy or a girl. Raising the child as a boy or girl, but not doing the surgery and dealing with the issues that result. Intersexuality is such a startling common phenomenon that it would be great to see it properly addressed on TV (as opposed to, say, 'Skin Deep').

We saw how House reacted to Alex. How would the House staff handle such a patient, and the parents? Who would agree with their decision and who would argue that the child should be made "normal", and why would they choose those positions? Who would stay to discuss it amongst themselves and who would get in the parents' faces about it?

What if the intersexual baby was homosexual?
Is that even possible?-trevorspall

I read once that intersexuals are frequently homosexual. I don't know how frequent "frequent" is, considering that it's 2% for the rest of us it could still be a small number. Studies have shown that the brains of homosexuals (both genders) are in between the male and the female brain in whichever part of the brain is male or female. I guess intersexuals' brains are in between too, just like their bodies. Sometimes it gets really screwed up. An intersexual baby is surgically altered to be a girl and raised as one, only to identify when grown up as a homosexual man. In AIS, what Alex had, the brain is feminized as well as the body so they tend to be straight females.
If someone else out there knows more about this than I do, which wouldn't be hard, please tell me if I'm wrong.

SugarPill

SugarPill

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 1, 2007 @ 5:04 AM

I only found an article from 1984 stating exactly this, that among 30 women with treated androgenital syndrome 11 were bi- or homosexual and among 27 men with AIS only 2 rated themselves bisexual. The explanation given in that article is also that it's the effect of the masculinization on the prenatal brain development that causes homosexuality in AGS, whereas the patients with AIS consider themselves as females, grow up as females and therefore usually develop interest in the male gender. Those are the only numbers I could find, though.

amismo

amismo

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 3, 2008 @ 8:55 AM

Watched the re-run of this episode last night.

I think there was a strong thread of disgust for the fashion/ entertainment industry running through this episode. Time and time again, House has been shown to 'like' real strong women, his leering at merely physically attractive women is at a completely different level. His leering at a 15 yr old supermodel brings into focus the disgusting situation of current beauty ideals. When half the female models and most of the male models on the NYC/Paris Fashion Week runway are under 18 (a major issue in Paris this year because they changed the law not allowing under 16s on the runway), I thnk a person like House would definitely get rude with the issue. Go in words and actions where most people have accepted in mind.

Along with all the 'normally' accepted behaviors of the industry - drugs, alcohol, sex for things. The completely skewed world view of a 15 yr old idealized for her perfect body. I mean, how many times even Cameron has looked weirdly pre-puberty.

Edited to add: Also the incest was in a way a reminder that by sexualizing 13-14-15 yr olds, by allowing the fashion industry to do so, we are sexualizing our own children. If you take the harshest nastiest view of the way the models are used.

As a mother of two girls, I realize the big responsibility of helping my kids set their self view. I can;t even imagine a single father struggling with a gorgeous daughter who is being used by other.

Edited by amismo, Feb 3, 2008 @ 9:12 AM.

Driad

Driad

Fanatic

Posted Sep 26, 2011 @ 10:17 PM

An interesting 45-minute video (from Australian TV) called The Gender Puzzle about androgen insensitivity syndrome and other conditions that can make gender assignment difficult.