Unspoiled Speculation (May Include Promo Discussion)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1705 replies to this topic

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 18, 2011 @ 10:55 AM

Andy might work for comedic purposes, but how they promote him with his dismal sales record seems hard to swallow. I just can't see how Darryl would work as the boss. He's quiet and competent, which in the real world makes a good boss, but on a sitcom would be deadly dull. Unless they do to him what they did to Jim in his stint as co-manager and remove his brain.

I am hoping they bring in someone new, but not a big star and, in contrast to Michael, make them incompetent to the point they endanger the branch. This was a theme early in the show and somewhere along the line they dropped it, but having the old crew try and stave off disaster brought on by the new boss could be interesting.

ordinaryangel

ordinaryangel

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 10:46 AM

It sounds crazy, but I always thought Pam would be a natural successor to Michael. She thinks along the same lines he does (she's willing to throw candy bars at audiences!) and pretty much embodies the whole "Peter Principle" thing. Dwight semi-respects her, and I don't think she'd be as boring as Jim either. I could see her getting the job, and then being brought down by her Office Administrator lie next season.

That being said, I still think Andy is going to get it, and Darryl is going to be his right hand man. That's why they've been pairing them together all season long. I don't really want them to bring in some kind of big staróthe last episode showed just how great the cast can be on their own.

Wilhelmina

Wilhelmina

Channel Surfer

Posted May 19, 2011 @ 5:09 PM

I don't want to see them bring in anyone new, either, and I think Pam would rock as the boss. Some people would hate it, but that would make it all the more interesting.

Karmalicious

Karmalicious

Video Archivist

Posted May 20, 2011 @ 12:54 PM

Maybe Jim will ultimately take the job as he's "managing" the hiring process and Jo likes him. I would think JK is too busy with other ventures, but maybe.

Wilhelmina

Wilhelmina

Channel Surfer

Posted May 21, 2011 @ 10:53 AM

I'd be pro-Jim if they hadn't put him in a managerial position last season. If they do it again, it'll be 'been there, done that' and therefore boring, IMHO.

jbreckenridge

jbreckenridge

Fanatic

Posted May 22, 2011 @ 7:40 PM

Since Trafffic Light got cancelled, it might be interesting if they somehow brought back an incompetent and spiteful Roy as the new boss.

BoogieBurns

BoogieBurns

Couch Potato

Posted May 23, 2011 @ 7:40 PM

...or Nick the IT guy!

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2011 @ 9:48 AM

Ryan was promoted to the position above regional manager even though his sales record was far more dismal than Andy's.

Admittedly, Ryan's promotion was approved by someone who is no longer in charge, but I'd call Jo's track record worse than David Wallace's. We know she gave the job to DeAngelo based on him rescuing her dog, and then she made Dwight the Acting Manager, even though he's committed a great many fire-able offenses over the years. And now she's put Creed in charge, based only on seniority. I don't think it would be unbelievable, at this point, for her to put Andy in charge.

Wilhelmina

Wilhelmina

Channel Surfer

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 2:25 PM

Roy as the boss?

jbreckenridge, that is the best idea EVER.

CandyColor

CandyColor

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2011 @ 8:22 AM

I think the show needs a new character to come in, I think it would be really boring if they made Jim the boss. A new boss would bring a new wibe to the show, which I think is needed to keep it interesting post-Carell. But not Deangelo, that character didnīt really work.

Edited by CandyColor, Jun 17, 2011 @ 3:43 AM.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Jun 15, 2011 @ 9:48 AM

From Ask Ausiello:

Question: Iím an AA virgin. This is my first time asking a question, so be gentle. Any word on who the boss will be when The Office returns in the fall? óAdam
Ausiello: All I know is who it probably wonít be: Catherine Tate. At least thatís what Iím hearing. If true, itís a total bummer.

This contradicts previous rumors.

AFunnyStory

AFunnyStory

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 4:34 PM

If the writers want the Office to continue with it's original format of the ridiculous boss and the burden he puts on his employs, the character absolutely cannot be normal. That puts Jim, Darryl, Pam, Stanley, Phyllis, Oscar, and Toby out of the running.

If Dwight were manager, he would most likely fire everyone. Andy, although he has some of the same characteristics as Michael, he just seems too simple. If it were season 3 Andy, I would say he has a shoe in, but they've softened him up. He would most likely go cry in a corner the second he makes a decision that upsets others.

As for the guest stars, I actually think it would be best to have Ricky Gervais return. Who better to be the new Michael Scott than the original, David Brent? He has the resume. He has the same demeanor. It just seems perfect.

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 5:55 PM

As for the guest stars, I actually think it would be best to have Ricky Gervais return. Who better to be the new Michael Scott than the original, David Brent? He has the resume. He has the same demeanor. It just seems perfect.

Ricky Gervais has said many times he is not going to be assuming the role of manager. His half-hearted cameo in the finale confirmed his disinterest.

AFunnyStory

AFunnyStory

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 20, 2011 @ 9:43 PM

That's too bad. David Brent would have been a perfect replacement. I thought Ricky did a great job in the finale. I know I enjoyed seeing him again.

Blaze Domingo

Blaze Domingo

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 9:45 AM

From Ricky's blog:

And once and for all... I would never ever in a million years take a permanent role in the show as an actor. It really would be f**king mental. You don't start a company to work in reception.

Col Bat Guano

Col Bat Guano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 21, 2011 @ 9:51 PM

I thought Ricky did a great job in the finale.

Really? I thought he was easily the weakest of all those cameos. He barely even bothered to try and be David Brent. He didn't even shave the beard into the Brent goatee.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2011 @ 3:14 PM

This might be interesting--- http://insidetv.ew.c...der-the-office/

Edited by HyeChaps, Jun 25, 2011 @ 3:14 PM.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 4:09 PM

I'm conflicted about that article. On the one hand I love James Spader and so that would be awesome. On the other, if they're just hiring and then going to "promote" him to the big boss role we'll have to go through this whole "find a new manager" again and I didn't really enjoy it the first time.

HyeChaps

HyeChaps

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2011 @ 7:23 AM

The latest from Ask Ausiello:

Question: I had my heart set on Catherine Tate being the new Office boss. In light of the recent news about James Spader possibly coming in as the big boss, might they be marking time until Catherine is done with her overseas theatre gig this fall? óMichelle
Ausiello: I hear NBC still has an option on Tate, so anythingís possible. The likeliest scenario ó as of this week anyway ó has Spader replacing Kathy Bates as CEO and Dwight, Andy or Jim succeeding Michael as manager.

gangstanovak

gangstanovak

Just Tuned In

Posted Jul 8, 2011 @ 2:04 PM

yeah I'm not too excited about spader, but because of the whole "lets find a new manager" thing. like joanne3482 I wasn't really a fan

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

I woke up really early this morning, too early to get up, and while I lay there for some reason started speculating about what might happen at the end of this season. I think something really dramatic needs to happen to give the show at least an impression of forward momentum, because this season has just been one long drift. These days we expect sitcoms to have an overarching story, not just jokes every week, and certainly The Office used to have arcs. Also, they need to set something up in case Dwight leaves for this spin-off and other actors may be moving on. So with that in mind, I propose Jim has a heart attack or something.

No, really.

It was established a while ago that he has high blood pressure so they can use that. I'm not proposing they kill him off, because everyone would be outraged, but it would make a good cliffhanger. Have Dwight save him in some way, thus finally drawing a line under their rivalry (the show has been working up to this anyway and Jim just saved Dwight's job) and thus resolving that storyline in time for Dwight to move on to The Farm, if that happens, with them parting on reasonably friendly terms. Dwight's only other unresolved story is the paternity of Angela's baby, which they can tie up too.

Then have Jim off recovering for most of next season (he can do more movies) and let's see how that changes up the dynamic of the office, especially with Pam. Once Jim's okay, she could come into her own. Last episode she said "I can do pranks too!" so let her take on the 'Jim' role and play them on an antagonist - possibly Angela, who is to Pam what Dwight's been to Jim, or possibly a new character.

I would also put Pam back on reception, where she belongs (because her fake job brings nothing to the show whatsoever) and move Erin to The Farm. If, as seems likely, the set up will be a sort of farm-based Fawlty Towers with Dwight as the angry, exasperated manager, he'll need a dopey Manuel/Polly sidekick (and the guy who plays Mose isn't available for this) - we already know that Dwight and Erin get on okay, so why not her? It would be more interesting than watching her and Andy break up some more or get married or whatever (they can still be together, in crossovers). The actress has some traction from Bridesmaids so she might draw people to the new show.

As for Andy, with Robert leaving the show, he'll need someone to report to. I suggest having his family (who are pretty wealthy, right?) buy the company and then he's got to prove himself to his dad (or an uncle or something if they can't get that actor).

I also think they need to do something with Kelly and Ryan. I know they're not major characters but it's weird to me that they've been in this holding pattern for so long. Did they really get married? What's going on with them?

Toby will also be leaving, I guess, as he's the showrunner for The Farm. It's a shame they already used winning the lottery for the warehouse staff, as it would be nice for him to go out with some unexpected triumph which would infuriate Michael if he heard about it. Maybe the crime novel he was writing can sell a million on Amazon, be the next Forty Shades Of Grey or something, so he leaves because of that.

I'm not saying any of this will happen, but if they're really coming back for another year, they've got to do SOMETHING different. Any thoughts?

hamsammich229

hamsammich229

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

They could just kill off everyone who isn't coming back next season.

Promethea Again

Promethea Again

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 4:28 AM

Yeah, in a sitcom - sure.

I'm glad they did do something about Ryan and Kelly!

ConstableClyde

ConstableClyde

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

I like the killing off idea.

hamsammich229

hamsammich229

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 1:32 PM

Black comedy is part of comedy.

ConstableClyde

ConstableClyde

Channel Surfer

Posted May 29, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

Very Ture, but The Office will never go that route.