Unspoiled Speculation (May Include Promo Discussion)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1705 replies to this topic

marya

marya

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 11, 2006 @ 10:57 AM

I speculate that in season 3, Michael will force the staff to participate in a lock-in/motivational pajama party.

Okay, so that was more of a wish list item. I speculate that in the season finale, Pam will break off the engagement with Roy, leaving her relationship with Jim very nebulose.

Bobby Bittman

Bobby Bittman

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 11:48 AM

I wanted to bring this to the top, because I wonder how much speculation we should be doing within episode threads or whether we should bring all that here.

A ruling from the mods?

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 1:29 PM

I'd like to discuss the speculation that Jim will leave D-M. I don't think this is a practical way for the show to go. For one thing, it'd kind of stretch the documentary conceit to have them go cover someone working in some other place. But moreover... how would you explain Jim's eventual return? Sure, if it's solely to be with Pam, it'd be self-sacrifice and romantic in a sense... but not healthy romantic. He would be doing the exact thing he told Pam not to do, making his own goals secondary to someone else's convenience. I just can't see how you could do it without killing Jim's character.

As far as the other big future issue, I don't think Pam and Roy can get married, because then, what happens? Pam and Jim would have to go for a long time either without flirting, or with their flirting feeling morally shady to the viewer. After all, "engaged ain't married", but married is. Only way around that would be P/R getting divorced very quickly, in which case, why marry them off to begin with? So I don't think you can go that way.

So, I think that Pam and Roy can't get married, and Pam and Jim have to keep working together. (I guess Roy could be the one who takes another job and more or less leaves the show, though that probably wouldn't accomplish much.) I'm not 100% sure that P/R need to actually separate, but it does seem realistic that another delay of the wedding would be Pam's last straw, so one probably follows the other.

Matches

Matches

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 2:44 PM

I myself was wondering how far they would go in stretching the documentary "conceit" (well done Mean Dean) if the wedding takes place. If they do go as far as the wedding date, would it be reasonable for the documentary crew to actually go to the wedding and film? The cameras don't seem to catch anything outside of the daily stuff at or involvling the office other than that one Halloween moment. I don't get too upset when the documentary premise breaks down in minor ways but having an entire episode with lots of at-the-wedding footage would kind of bug me.

On the Pam board someone suggested that Roy was using money/practicality as a reason for Pam to not do the graphic design thing. Pam's said twice now that she and Roy were saving money for their upcoming wedding so I wonder if Roy might use that as a ploy to postpone the marriage. If Pam pushed harder to go to the design classes it could force something to happen on the wedding front. It's possible Roy even said that she couldn't spend weekends in New York and plan a wedding at the same time. But I highly doubt that Pam would postpone the wedding just to make taking graphic design classes a possibilty.

Edited by Matches, Feb 15, 2006 @ 3:03 PM.

oneloudbitch

oneloudbitch

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 3:26 PM

I don't get too upset when the documentary premise breaks down in minor ways but having an entire episode with lots of at-the-wedding footage would kind of bug me.

I agree- that would bug me too! A great way around it, though, would simply be to film the before-and-after math in the office...
So in other words, we'd get the happy, nervous excitement of the Friday before the wedding, followed by Monday morning, where the weekend's events are slowly unveiled through break-room confessions, water-cooler gossip, camera-talking, etc. I'm not sure I just described the idea very well, but I think it could be very very original and well done!
Just a thought. I'd definitely prefer that to wedding footage (gag!).

marya

marya

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 4:39 PM

I'm guessing we won't actually get to the point of a wedding.

But if we do, then I think they'll figure out a way to get the whole office staff there. Like, Pam invites Jim, and maybe Phyllis, but Kelly overhears, and asks to be invited, and then she ends up not wanting to leave anyone out. Then, if the whole office is there, the documentary crew has a reason to follow them. They did go with Michael and Jim to Hooters, so I think it would be believable.

Eirik

Eirik

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 7:10 PM

Oh, I think if they get to an actual wedding (or, at least, invitations) we'll see Pam invite the entire office staff. Either that, or members who aren't invited (Michael, Dwight) would show up anyway thinking they had just had their invitations lost.

I don't personally think that it's too much a streach of the documentary concept to show the wedding, at least if we see everyone (or almost everyone) invited. However, I do think I rather like the idea of hearing about the wedding even more. Sorta like the wedding was an unmitigated disaster, but only hearing about it though office gossip. Perhaps they could have some footage from the wedding, but it comes obviously from a camcorder of a guest rather than the documentary crew.

It would be a streach if someone like Jim or Pam actually leave DM to continue to see them at their next job, beyond perhaps the first day. I don't really see the show going in that direction unless they write someone out, and that doesn't seem likely for the four main characters. Well, maybe just a little for Steve Carell since he could move on to a full time movie career, but I doubt it in the short term.

Bobby Bittman

Bobby Bittman

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 8:18 PM

The real question about the wedding: Will Kelly be a bridesmaid?

I can see a few possibilities of removing Jim from the equation, at least for the summer or a few weeks more. These all come with the presumption that the wedding will NOT happen, and in fact, it will not not-happen on camera. That is, it won't be resolved in the finale.
  • Jim may want to see about working at another branch, which would eventually either be consolidated with Scranton (and thus bring him back). This might lead to the kind of nervous anticipation we saw in the BBC version for the special.
  • Jim may look into doing something at corporate - maybe a paid internship or a management training program? He could possibly meet a cool woman in New York, someone with whom he has a commuting relationship when he gets back from NY. Problem with this theory: Jim's original terror at having Dunder-Mifflin be his career. But I'd LOVE to see him butting heads with Dwight over who has more authority after this sort of thing.
  • Jim decides to pick up stakes, but gets sidetracked for whatever reason, be it a lack of initiative or a family member getting sick or just not being able to make it work in the new locale.
In any case, I think it would become clear before long that the Scranton branch really needs him around.

Another question on this topic: What will be the impetus for the wedding NOT going off, whether another postponement or an outright cancellation?

I could see a Roy layoff as being a driver - especially given the emphasis on money noted above.

But it's going to have to be something big to jumpstart Pam. I'd hate hate hate to see them do an infedilty angle, but something of that impact would do it.

A final speculation topic: What is going to be the cliffhanger for the downsizing question that's lingering? The "Valentine's Day" meeting was way too significant for nothing to happen, IMO.

Turnberry

Turnberry

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 11:50 PM

Another question on this topic: What will be the impetus for the wedding NOT going off, whether another postponement or an outright cancellation?

The consensus seems to be that Pam will break up with Roy. The reasoning:

Jim is distancing himself from Pam. He’s at least attempting to move on and in the process we can see that Pam is suffering. Pam needs Jim emotionally to be able to endure the consequences of being with Roy. The idea is that Jim’s detachment from Pam will cause her to reevaluate herself forcing her to realize just how important he is to her life. Perhaps that alone will lead Pam to finally “take a chance on something” which in this case is Jim.

The theory above can be used in a number of different scenarios:
A) Jim stays at Dunder-Mifflin so his detachment occurs while he’s still seeing Pam everyday (I do NOT see that happening)
B) The “threat” of Jim transferring is discussed - this could be an eye opener for Pam if she finds out
C) Either Jim transfers to another DM branch or he leaves the company altogether (obviously it would be temporary).

I think “C” is the choice that would most likely cause Pam to develop the courage to admit to Jim that she has feelings for him.

With all of that being said, I do NOT think Pam has it in her to break up with Roy. She's just to passive to take any initiative. Pam is very insecure and lacks the self-confidence to take the risk of being out there again.

All of the ideas above involve Pam breaking up with Roy. Why on earth have we forgotten about Roy? It took him 10 years to ask Pam to marry him. Why did he all of a sudden have a change of heart? If you’ve read Roy's blog it says “She really wants to get married so we set a date for sometime in June... should make her happy. That’s about it”. Does that sound like a guy that wants to get married? I don’t think so....Roy could easily do something to delay the wedding.

I'd hate hate hate to see them do an infedilty angle, but something of that impact would do it.

I don’t think I could take an infidelity angle either nor would I want to witness Pam/Roy’s marriage fail onscreen. I really think the writers know that it would be too risky to allow the marriage to occur. Both Jim and Pam need to be available in order to maximize the tension. Most will agree that the best part of their relationship is the flirting/banter they do with one another. That can't happen if one of them is married (because Jim wouldn't allow it to happen). I could be completely wrong, just my 2 cents.

Edited by Turnberry, Feb 16, 2006 @ 12:24 AM.

Bobby Bittman

Bobby Bittman

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2006 @ 1:44 AM

No, that's quality speculation. Those are real good points about Roy, ones I hadn't considered. He did, after all, set the date while drunk.

I'd love to see Pam go through a whirlwind of both the terrors and the excitement of being on her own. Something, anything to get her out of the mopeyness that most everyone on the board has noticed.

I want to see her entertained by something other than office banter.

Miss Kubelik

Miss Kubelik

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2006 @ 2:33 AM

Turnberry, I completely agree that it will be Roy that breaks up with Jim, but posted it in the Pam thread. Guess it would have been better posted in these parts...

Pixel

Pixel

Stalker

Posted Feb 16, 2006 @ 5:06 AM

Turnberry, I completely agree that it will be Roy that breaks up with Jim

Whoa. Did I miss a very special episode?

marya

marya

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2006 @ 10:03 AM

Hee! That is a most excellent freudian slip, Miss Kubelik.

Or maybe you're a teeny bit psychic, and the reason Roy is so reluctant to marry Pam is that he has these feelings. Very confusing feelings.

Turnberry

Turnberry

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2006 @ 10:19 AM

I completely agree that it will be Roy that breaks up with Jim, but posted it in the Pam thread. Guess it would have been better posted in these parts

Wow, Miss Kubelik, you provided some deep insight as to what the ramifications would be if Roy break ups with Pam.

Edited by Turnberry, Feb 16, 2006 @ 10:21 AM.

Miss Kubelik

Miss Kubelik

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2006 @ 1:27 AM

Turnberry, I completely agree that it will be Roy that breaks up with Jim

Whoa. Did I miss a very special episode?

Hee! That is a most excellent freudian slip, Miss Kubelik.

Or maybe you're a teeny bit psychic, and the reason Roy is so reluctant to marry Pam is that he has these feelings. Very confusing feelings.

Hahaha. Aw, man, I suck at life! Anyway, Roy knows that moms are more Jim's type. Althoughhh, they have had their own share of awkward moments...

marya

marya

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2006 @ 9:43 AM

Why do we tease you so much? Could be love. Could be hate. Could be neutral.

Nah, definitely love.

So, did you notice that in Who Would You Do, Roy picked Angela? And when she was talking to Phyllis about Roy vs. Jim, Angela picked Roy? I know these are throwaway jokes, but how awesome would it be if somewhere down the line, they have a torrid affair. I was thinking after Roy & Pam inevitably break up, that could be a way to keep Roy around.

Logically it makes no sense, but funny, right?

Pixel

Pixel

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2006 @ 12:50 PM

I actually wouldn't be surprised to find that Roy hooked up with Katy. Katy seems like exactly the type of girl who would find Roy's act appealing.

Boof

Boof

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2006 @ 12:54 PM

Pixel, I was thinking the same thing. Remember, too, that Roy said he would "be all over that" if he wasn't "dating" Pam in Hot Girl. Then, they got along so well during the Booze Cruise. If you ask me, they deserve each other! Maybe that can be what gets the wedding called off. Kind of a soap opera type move, but I can see Roy getting panicked and wanting one final fling. Hmmm....

Miss Kubelik

Miss Kubelik

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2006 @ 11:19 PM

So, did you notice that in Who Would You Do, Roy picked Angela? And when she was talking to Phyllis about Roy vs. Jim, Angela picked Roy? I know these are throwaway jokes, but how awesome would it be if somewhere down the line, they have a torrid affair. I was thinking after Roy & Pam inevitably break up, that could be a way to keep Roy around.

Logically it makes no sense, but funny, right?

Those are good pick ups, marya. I'd say anythings up for grabs after witnessing the various degrees of trainwreck-osity that are Dwight/Angela, Ryan/Kelly and Jan/Michael.

I wonder how Dwight will handle someone dating his "woman" after the (also inevitable, right? These nutbars can't possibly last?) breakup. I imagine Dwight would think he could take Roy, with all his fancy martial arts training.

Turnberry

Turnberry

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2006 @ 4:10 PM

Angela has updated her blog: Angela's blog

An excerpt:

It's Saturday and cold and rainy.  Jenna and I are in my trailer right now trying to stay warm.  She is sitting across from me wrapped up in a quilt that my Mom made me.  We are listening to the soundtrack from "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?".  We are shooting out of order and this episode is what will be our season finale.  Crazy.  I can't believe it's already here. 

Wow, they are already shooting the season finale. If only Angela had a webcam on her website we could see if Jenna is wearing a wedding gown. :) All kidding aside, I'd be shocked if the season finale was a wedding episode (to cliche).

It actually makes sense that they are shooting out of order. The season finale script was probably already written when NBC decided to extend the season from 21 to 22 episodes. They may still be in the process of writing the "22nd episode" script. This could mean that we'll get an episode like "The Injury" without a lot of Jim/Pam stuff towards the end of the season, perhaps airing right before the season finale (which is fine by me). I say this because there has to be a TON of Jim/Pam continuity stuff in these final episodes (that have already been shot).

Edited by Turnberry, Feb 18, 2006 @ 4:18 PM.

NuveenaN

NuveenaN

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 8, 2006 @ 5:39 PM

I had this thought recently, based on Pam's comment that Roy's only wedding planning responsibility is arranging the music. Somewhere along the line she gets fed up about him not being more involved, so he agrees to take care of the license. She foolishly trusts him, and Roy postpones it until it's too late to get one. That way they can't have the wedding that day, but it doesn't require them to break up, although there should be a hell of a fight. Roy could even use the excuse that they can't afford to reschedule quickly because of all the deposits they lost by not having the wedding June 10th.
From there, they can:
1. Let Jim return from Australia, misunderstand why the wedding didn't happen, and take his chance to confess to Pam, only to find out that she and Roy are still together. Much awkwardness.
2. Have Pam decide that Roy's forgetting of the license is the last straw, and dump him.
3. Let Pam throw such a fit about the license, that Roy yells that he never wanted to get married in the first place, and dump her.
4. Open Pam's eyes a little bit more about the way Roy regards her, driving a bigger wedge between them without splitting them up completely.
5. Reset the clock. Pam and Roy are engaged, with no date in sight.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 9:09 PM

So this week's episode has Michael taking everyone ice skating for his birthday.

Comedy Gold, people!

So what kind of skating do you think will be going on?

Good skaters:

Oscar. Didn't he go skating on his "sick" day with his boyfriend?
Michael... well, can't Steve Carrell skate pretty well? Maybe they let Michael be actually good at something.
Kevin... hmmm.. well, he surprised us with his mad basketball skillz, so I think he'll be good on skates, too.
Toby. Probably goes skating with his cutie-pie daughter.
Jim. Need you ask?

Shaky, but competent skaters

The Ladies, Phyllis, Meridith, and Angela. I'm looking forward to seeing Angela skate primly.
Dwight. He'll think he's awesome, but no.

The Bad
Stanley... dang, I'm looking forward to this. The LiberryLass and I have been imitating his goofy dribbling ever since we saw Basketball.
Pam. As Pixel said in the 27 Seconds thread, and I'll heartily second, I'm expecting/hoping for lots of falling down and clinging to Jim.

Pixel

Pixel

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 10:52 PM

Kevin kind of reminds me of guys I know who like to play hockey, so I'm thinking he'll be kind of good.

Jim will be good because he's good at everything.

Pam will have to fall all over him, of course, to make me happy.

Angela probably won't skate, because it would be unseemly for her to be seen doing something as undignified as falling.

I think Stanley will be awesome, because isn't there some kind of stereotype about black people and skating (I remember a joke about why black people don't play hockey, that I won't repeat because it's rude, but I know there's one). And since Michael is the king of stereotyping, he'll assume Stanley can't skate. And Stanley will be doing like, triples and stuff, because it will turn out he was once an olympic hopeful. And for the record, I mention the stereotype only because of Michael, and not because I personally buy into them.

Michael will undoubtedly initiate a hockey game, during which Dwight will severely body check him, causing Michael to call him all kinds of insulting things.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 11:53 PM

Pam will have to fall all over him, of course, to make me happy.

I'm picturing Jim trying to stay aloof, but not able to resist. Hey, engaged ain't married.

Angela probably won't skate, because it would be unseemly for her to be seen doing something as undignified as falling.

I think she'll try it, but she'll have such a puffy jacket and ski pants that she'll look like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. As opposed to Phyllis' whorish green skirt. Hey! Wouldn't it be grand if we saw Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration as Phyllis' date?

I think Stanley will be awesome, because isn't there some kind of stereotype about black people and skating [?]

I would love if Stanley would be doing twirls around Michael, but I don't know... Stanley's a big guy, and I don't know what his balance would be like.

I forgot Kelly!! I'm thinking she'll want to hang all over Ryan, but he'll pretend he can't skate, just to avoid her.

ETA: After some thought, I'm editing my prediction to say that I think Jim won't be able to skate, but Pam will. She'll coax him onto the ice, and much falling and grabbing and hand-holding will ensue.

Edited by LiberryLady, Mar 27, 2006 @ 1:26 AM.

Pixel

Pixel

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 2:47 AM

ETA: After some thought, I'm editing my prediction to say that I think Jim won't be able to skate, but Pam will. She'll coax him onto the ice, and much falling and grabbing and hand-holding will ensue.

That would be kind of a nice different approach, since Jim's usually the one who's trying to save Pam. But then again, if it's Jim doing the catching then it's even more evidence for Pam that he's always there for her. Even better, Roy and the warehouse guys are there, but Roy's too busy playing hockey to pay any attention to Pam, who could use a hand to hold. And, in my world, he's also too busy to notice that Jim's holding her up. Because the last thing we need is another scene with Roy trying to put Jim through a wall.

Maybe now that Roy acknowledged his acceptance of Pam and Jim's friendship, he won't be so likely to harass Jim. He probably thinks that he has nothing to worry about now.

Kai

Kai

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 3:12 AM

Maybe Roy gets run over by the Zamboni...WOO HOO.

I was just going to say that it would be kind of cool if Jim were the one with the skating deficiency while Pam's a bit more confident on the ice. Then again, we might not get any kind of falling/tripping/whatever type of thing because it is kind of predictable (DESIRABLE, but...how many times have we seen the "WHOOPS, I just fell into your arms! SILLY ME!" thing?) and the writers seem to love going a different/surprising route.

Either way, I want to see something cute...not that I don't loooove the angst but you do need a spoonful of sugar occasionally. ;)

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 3:59 AM

I was just going to say that it would be kind of cool if Jim were the one with the skating deficiency while Pam's a bit more confident on the ice.

What would be cool is if Roy is also bad on ice, and Pam is quietly talking-heading that because of that she never gets to ice skate even though she loves it, and when Jim is wobbly she assumes he won't want to, but he gives it a go because she enjoys it. Because he is Jim and he is perfect for her, dammit.

And I second the Zamboni action, Kai!

NemoD

NemoD

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 11:07 AM

(looong time lurker, first time poster)

what if jim helps pam when she stumbles on the ice, and then roy gets jealous at the whole scene ... it would be nice to rachet up the tension before jim takes off for australia.

mikeng

mikeng

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 12:08 PM

Maybe they're both good at skating? And somehow use this expertise to torture Dwight. I really don't know.

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 5:31 PM

I'll go with that last speculation too. The show seems to often draw its storylines from the actors' real-life experience and abilities. Jenna Fischer is going to be in a figure skating movie, and I think she actually does play a skater in the movie... so I bet she either already had some skating experience or has recently learned some stuff, and will be showing that off. John Krasinki is an athletic type of guy and is from Massachusetts, which is pretty big on hockey, so I bet he knows his way around the ice too. And I agree that the "whoops! I fell!" stuff might be a little cheesy, so, might as well have them both competent.