Stanley: On the Ghetto, in Fact

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

83 replies to this topic

bookemdano

bookemdano

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:16 PM

Talk about "The Crossword Puzzle Guy" here... none other than Stanley the Manly.

Edited because "manley" is not a word.

Edited by bookemdano, Mar 17, 2006 @ 12:20 AM.

Spaz Cadet

Spaz Cadet

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 9:41 PM

Oh no! Two Stanley threads!

I'm committed to "on the ghetto."

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 10:10 PM

I think Stanley is my very favorite of all the secondary characters. He can crack me up with just a quick eye roll.
What a wonderfully expressive actor: he's had so few lines, yet somehow has managed to create a really distinct and uproarously funny character. His contempt for Michael and for just having to endure the mass stupidity he's surrounded by will never get old for me. I love that he's one of the few employees who calls Michael on his idiocy.

sarah1225

sarah1225

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2006 @ 2:23 PM

Stanley makes me laugh more than anyone else. I love how he knows exactly how to piss off Michael or get on his good side. Then again..Michael isn't that difficult to figure out. But still.

Eirik

Eirik

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2006 @ 3:14 PM

Stanley makes me laugh more than anyone else. I love how he knows exactly how to piss off Michael or get on his good side. Then again..Michael isn't that difficult to figure out. But still.

Does he really piss off Michael? I have gotten the impression that Michael doesn't even hear him when he makes a comment.

sneakynin

sneakynin

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2006 @ 11:48 AM

Ah, Stanley the Manly...

I LOVE his reaction to the fake diseases everyone made up. He shows true elation at that moment and no other.

I think he does piss off Michael, but Michael is too scared of him to do anything. It's because he's an African American. Does he love pizza?

sneakynin

sneakynin

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2006 @ 11:55 AM

I also love that Stanley dribbles a basketball much like my mother does. So endearing.

sneakynin

sneakynin

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 11:18 PM

Cancel the wallpaper.

CaptainSnarky

CaptainSnarky

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 11:32 AM

Next to Jim, Stanley has the best reaction shots. Oddly enough, they're almost always reactions to stupid stuff that Michael says.

jennifuh

jennifuh

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 3:42 PM

I was watching something the other day where someone was dancing exactly the way Stanley dribbles. It was hysterical!

It always kills me the way Michael says, "Oh come ON!!!" when he sees Stanley working his magic on the court.

eagle

eagle

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2006 @ 9:58 PM

Oh...my...dog! If Stanley was yelling at me like that, I don't think I'd ever look at a teenage girl again. Granted, I'm a girl myself, but damn! I think Ryan's gonna need a package of Oops, I Crapped My Pants, stat.

bookemdano

bookemdano

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2006 @ 12:18 AM

That little girl is a child! I don't wanna see you sniffing around her anymore this afternoon. Do you understand? Boy have ya lost your mind? 'Cause I'll help you find it. Whatcha looking for? Ain't no one gonna help you out there. Jesus can come through that door, and he's not gonna help you if you don't stop sniffing after my child.

Stanley is the man. His delivery in that scene was so completely awesome... and frightening!

Edited by bookemdano, Mar 31, 2006 @ 7:15 PM.

nicepebbles

nicepebbles

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2006 @ 4:23 PM

Bookemdano, I'm just all kinds of man that I missed Stanley's smackdown. I got to be on the lookout for that episode.

Stanley is one of my fav characters. I think, "On the ghetto in fact" is one of my all-time fav lines.

eightyschica

eightyschica

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 2, 2006 @ 3:40 PM

'Will Lady Fortune give me a raise?"

Dragonflyy6

Dragonflyy6

Fanatic

Posted Aug 29, 2006 @ 8:09 PM

I just found out today that Leslie David Baker (Stanley) is a member of Women in Film, and that's just awesome.

Cadenza

Cadenza

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 5:46 PM

What I like best about Stanley is that he's the true authority figure in the office. Nobody really has any power over him . . . Michael's afraid of him and Dwight doesn't phase him, so Stanley pretty much defies authority whenever it suits him (as opposed to Toby, who defies authority by being sneaky, which I also kinda like).

It makes me wonder, though, if Stanley could get away with this if David Brent were the boss instead. David is less of a pushover than Michael, but at the same time, I think Stanley's defiance is born out of his disdain for incompetence. I think Jan could definitely keep him in check.

I also wonder if I spend far too much time thinking about the motivations of fictional characters . . . .

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 6:27 PM

I love Stanley! I love how he knows that Michael is intimidated by him and how he uses it to his advantage all the time. He also seems to be the only one who really works around there!

"Are these statistics scaring you or are they not?"
"They are not."

But "Jesus can come through that door" is my all-time favorite.

For as "all-business" as Stanley is, from the little bits on the DVDs, you can tell that Leslie is a really lively, fun kind of guy. He is the secret weapon, after all.

Drew T.

Drew T.

Fanatic

Posted Sep 14, 2006 @ 9:42 PM

Stanley is great. I'm particularly fond of him because he's one of the only members of the office who has vocally said why he's there: to pay for his children's education (he says children, though I don't know if we've heard about any others besides Michael's pedo-fantasy). That doesn't necessarily answer why he doesn't do anything more interesting, but it does shed light on why he's not leaving. There's security at Dunder-Mifflin. For now, at least. Downsizing could happen, ya know?

But I really appreciate his obvious family ties, and not just because he's working with his kids in mind, but I loved his holding hands with his fiancee at Chili's, his calling his wife to tell her to get the wallpaper, and his quick defens of his daughter against both Michael and Ryan.

And yeah, from what I've seen, the actor could not be more different. It might not quite be Angela level difference, but still, it's different.

RhondaGC

RhondaGC

Fanatic

Posted Sep 16, 2006 @ 8:32 PM

I'm fairly new to this show, but Stanley is definitely my favorite supporting character. Actually, he's my second favorite character overall after Jim (I don't like either Michael or Dwight that much and I'm well-known for my hatred of Pam). So, I started thinking today about my favorite Stanley moments. I was going to count them down for you, but it was hard to put them in any kind of value-order, so in no particular order:

1) "Mailboxes, etcetera?" I swear, that was the funniest line for me out of one of the funniest episodes of the entire series. Made me laugh out loud like no other that night.

2) The episode where Jim locks Dwight in his office (can't remember the name of that one) and tosses the keys across the room and they land next to Stanley who is on the phone . . . I just absolutely die laughing at Stanley's reaction. He just barely turns to see what it was and, without stopping his phone conversation by even a milisecond, just turns back around again with the exact same expression like nothing out of the ordinary just happened. Hee! That's my favorite part of that episode as well.

3) It's already been mentioned but, "Will Lady Fortune give me a raise?" Hee!

4) And, of course, the "Jesus couldn't help you" speech. Laughed my butt off. Again, the best part of the episode. And I love Stanley as the protective father. Awwww . . .

Wow, I didn't realize until now how often Stanley is my favorite part of the episode. Guess that means I'm on the right thread.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Sep 16, 2006 @ 8:53 PM

I'm fairly new to this show, but Stanley is definitely my favorite supporting character.

I feel the exact same way about Stanley, and actually posted this on the 'unpopular opinions' thread earlier today. (By the way, especially for someone who's so new to the show, you know and retain an awesomely impressive amount about the episodes and characters---just the kind of fan we love!)

Stanley can say more with a single eyebrow raise than most characters on a sitcom can say with a few pages of dialogue. Best of all, IMO it's a role that hilariously funny without being too wacky, 'out there' or unrelatable. I feel like every office has a Stanley...or at least should!

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 18, 2006 @ 11:36 PM

to pay for his children's education (he says children, though I don't know if we've heard about any others besides Michael's pedo-fantasy).

I don't know which episode it was, but I definitely remember someone saying that he has two children. AFAIK, we don't know the age, sex or name of the other one.

pennylane83

pennylane83

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2006 @ 8:10 AM

It was mentioned in "Valentine's Day" in Michael's "Faces of Scranton" video that Stanley is an African-American father of two. Also, in the deleted scenes (now I'm blanking on which episode) Stanley mentions that he has kids in college. So we know he definitely has Melissa and one other older kid I'm guessing?

Stanley is definitely one of my favorite secondary characters. In the FoS video the look he gives the camera when Michael gets the extreme close-up is hilarious. One of my favorite lines of his is "This here is a run out the clock situation, just like up there" from Boys and Girls. Every office definitely has a Stanley, which makes him one of the more relatable characters IMO.

Edited by pennylane83, Sep 19, 2006 @ 8:11 AM.

Your Density

Your Density

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2006 @ 11:10 AM

I think the one in the picture, who goes to Catholic girls' school, is the second, older daughter.

Albanyguy

Albanyguy

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2006 @ 11:14 PM

I thought the girl in the picture was Melissa.

Your Density

Your Density

Fanatic

Posted Sep 19, 2006 @ 11:46 PM

Hmm... well I'm just going from memory, because I imagine that girl to look different. Older. But I could be wrong.

Man, some of those scenes that were deleted really made Stanley look like a dick. I'm glad they toned it down so he's merely the office grouch.

Promethea

Promethea

Stalker

Posted Oct 14, 2006 @ 7:00 AM

Stanley REALLY didn't want to talk about having lost someone who died. And he's on his second wife, right? It felt like maybe his first wife died and that's why he was so touchy about it. Who knows.

kathrynann

kathrynann

Fanatic

Posted Oct 14, 2006 @ 10:01 AM

"You have just spit on my face."

TaterTots0370

TaterTots0370

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 14, 2006 @ 5:30 PM

Has nobody mentioned him telling Pam she'll have to put out on her date? Stanely's blunt attitude is maybe one of the most hilarious things about the show for me. "Now I have two toasters." He should really just do a running commentary of Pam's love life because he seems to do it so well, heh.

BurntSiena

BurntSiena

Posted Oct 14, 2006 @ 8:24 PM

One of my favorite lines of his is "This here is a run out the clock situation, just like up there" from Boys and Girls.

That is my favorite too. Love him. Also the moment between him and Michael in "The Dundies" when he says he threw out his previous wins and Michael says "Oh no you ditn't!"

aghostallalong

aghostallalong

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 14, 2006 @ 8:29 PM

But "Jesus can come through that door" is my all-time favorite

I love the line right before that: "Boy, have you lost your mind, 'cause I'll help you find it!" That scene and Ryan's talking head afterwards are classic! So good.