The Meet Market: Chili's

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

41748 replies to this topic

Glark

Glark

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 6:51 PM

Talky!

I'll let you guys do the rest of the threads since you've been talking about them in the old thread. Please check before you create a thread to make sure you are not replicating something. I'll pop in later to remove/merge duplicates.

bookemdano

bookemdano

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:06 PM

Thanks a ton, Glark!

Nerg

Nerg

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:06 PM

Yay! I'm so excited for this sub-forum. Let's get talkin'!

violet4120

violet4120

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:08 PM

With the addition of this new forum, I'm never going to leave the computer. Awesome!

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:11 PM

Well, I'll be the first to introduce myself.

Hi, I'm smrou. I lurked in the old The Office thread, but now that there's a whole forum, I'm ready to participate. I only got hooked on this show earlier this season, so I downloaded all the eps I missed from iTunes to make up for it, and Netflixed the UK version. With Arrested Development most likely gone for good (after tonight), I'm very glad to have another sitcom to latch onto.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:13 PM

By popular demand we are adding an 'expando' forum for The Office (US) later today. Start thinking about your new thread titles!

Oh my God...this news literally makes my day. Maybe even my entire (otherwise lousy) week! I'd stayed off this thread for the entire day because I hadn't yet watched the episode, so this is the first I've heard of this awesome news. Of course, it's not so awesome if I was hoping to stop spending practically all my waking hours on TWoP...

Anyway, now that I've revealed how sadly addicted I am to both The Office and to TWoP, I'll introduce myself. I'm Marla (hence the un-clever username), 31 and live in NYC. When I'm not watching TV or subsequently posting about it on TWoP, I'm reading and even (albeit VERY slowly and with only mixed success!) trying to write a book of my own.
I have hopelessly cheesy taste in music but have recently discovered some 'better' bands that I really love, like Supergrass, The White Stripes, Belle and Sebastian and, thanks to the recommendation of a fellow TWoPer, the beyond-awesome Jump, Little Children.
I relate to The Office both because I've recently been through a very difficult Jim/Pam-esque friendship and also because I seem unable to find a job that I don't completely loathe!

I've been so impressed with the wit and insight of my fellow Office lovers and am looking forward to getting to know you guys better! (Oh, and one final embarrassing admission...I tend to like many TWoPers more than many I like people in my 'real life'!)

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:16 PM

and, thanks to the recommendation of a fellow TWoPer, the beyond-awesome Jump, Little Children.

You mean it wasn't Everwood that got you into them?

Glark

Glark

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:17 PM

No all-caps thread titles please. Thanks.

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:20 PM

Aw, man. Understandable. Sorry, Glark.

Glark

Glark

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:22 PM

I know why that was the way it was but it's the monkey-see monkey-do factor I need to watch out for.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:25 PM

Aw, smrou, I forgot that you know about my Everwood addiction! The funny thing is that I loved the song "Cathedrals" and bought the Everwood soundtrack largely because of that track and one other, but didn't even get that Jump, Little Children sang Cathedrals (and, for that matter, many other amazing songs) until a TWoPer enlightened me and urged me to get their CDs!

Oh, and, speaking of Everwood, it's the only currently airing show I love as much as The Office. I'd always thought it would be hopelessly sappy but am blown away by how compelling, emotionally evocative and wonderfully witty the show turned out to be. I also love Scrubs, but am finding this season a little too zany and 'out there' for my tastes. I'll join the AD fans who are upset that tonight's episodes may be the last. Oh, and, despite my disappointment with this season, I also watch Veronica Mars. Buffy is my all-time favorite show and I also LOVE the early seasons of Gilmore Girls (though the recent seasons are truly unwatchable for me). Damn, I watch a depressing amount of TV...!

SunDevilRob

SunDevilRob

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:35 PM

My name is Robert and I'm an Office addict. There, I said it. Seen every episode at least twice, Booze Cruise at least 5 times just to see Michael rapping (or should I say trying to rap). This is the real Must See TV!

Kalbear

Kalbear

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:42 PM

I do have to admit that I didn't think the show was all that until the Chilli's ep. Before that it seemed like really hit or miss. I think that ep was the one that really brought the show into its own for me.

NBC is really winning me over as of late. There used to be literally nothing I'd watch on NBC, but Office/MNiE is really decent.

skillzdatkillz

skillzdatkillz

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:45 PM

Hello y'all, I'm Howie, I go by Skillz for short and I used to read old Office thread, like...a long time ago, maybe pre-triple digits. But once the season go stronger and stronger it was crazy how fast it blew up. I was thinking how Scrubs has been on for 5-6 years and that thread isn't even close.

marlaas, you need to marry me now, because Buffy? AD and the early seasons of Gilmore Girls? Hehe. But don't give up on Scrubs! I've been with them since the beginning and 'zany' as it may be now, it's still very good quality.

And long live AD!

IseutLaBrune

IseutLaBrune

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:46 PM

Hi, I'm Iseut and I'm an al...

Kidding!

I've been on TWoP since it was MBTV ("Jeez, how old are you?"), but I've never hung out in a Meet Market before. I absolutely adore this show, and usually rewatch it several times a week. It's definitely my fave sitcom right now, but I also have a great deal of love for Scrubs, MNiE, AD (sniff), and I will always and forever be a Seinfeld fanatic. Other than that, I watch the occasional reality show(TAR's coming back wooo!) and drama (Rome was my recent favorite).

I'm so happy for the new expanded forums. Like, way to be an enabler, TWoP. And speaking of unhealthy obsessions, if you don't see me here, I'll probably be hanging out over in the newly reborn Hot Olympians thread.

Edited by IseutLaBrune, Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:46 PM.

Gfunkorama

Gfunkorama

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:50 PM

Hey everyone! Just wanted to drop in for a quick hello. I should be studying for the bar exam (next week) yet I'm constantly on TWOP (except right now i'm going to sign off for AD - tear, tear).
My favorite shows are Buffy, Angel, Veronica Mars, AD, and of course The Office, plus a slew of reality shows like Project Runway.
Hope you guys have fun tonight. I'm sure i'll check back in a few hours.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:58 PM

Goos luck on the bar exam, gfunkorama! What type of law do you want to practice?

Skillz, I will totally marry you. As long as you agree that you'd like to raise children who are as hopelessly addicted to TV as we are and that failure to fall in love with Buffy, The Office, early Gilmore Girls etc. is grounds for disowning them ;)

Seen every episode at least twice

Only twice?! Er...me too.

One very sad fact about me: I've watched some of my favorite episodes of certain shows (Buffy, early GG, Everwood, The Office, Scrubs etc.) about 9 or 10 times. I prefer my favorite TV shows to the VAST majority of movies. Someone (probably a smart someone on this site) once made the analogy that movies are like short stories, while good TV is like a long, beautifully written novel with room for multiple story arcs and ever-evolving characters. Anyway, that's how I justify my TV addiction, though there are people in my real life who are of the snobby, 'smart people don't/can't/shouldn't watch TV' variety. Needless to say, none of these people are among my favorites!

Edited by marlaas, Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:06 PM.

kalikula

kalikula

Video Archivist

• Interests:Travel, languages, British literature and television.

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 7:59 PM

Hi, I'm Denise and I'm an Office addict. I started watching it with My Name is Earl around September-ish '05. I didn't really get into The Office until the Booze Cruise. I also love (love) Seinfeld, Project Runway, and Lost. I'm not crazy about ANTM, but I do watch it too.

I live in California, and I'm a junior in high school. And yes, I signed up solely to post on the Office thread.

Edited by kalikula, Feb 13, 2006 @ 7:48 PM.

jerusha

jerusha

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:09 PM

Hi, I'm jerusha. Not the most creative screen name but one of the few perks of having an unusual first name is that it's usually available for this stuff. Also, I use my middle name at work, so I'll be protected in case any of my co-workers read about their exploits in this forum. This is my first MM, but I've been around since the MBTV days, too (early West Wing fan). I usually frequent the Lost threads and now that this one is expanding, I'm not going to get anything done at work! (note to self: develop some self-restraint.) Looking forward to more insights from you all on this show-- you're so much more witty and insightful than my co-workers!!

Sadly, the Office character to whom I most relate is Phyllis. I mean, I love Phyllis, (and would have been delighted to get a hand-made oven mitt for Christmas) but I'm too young to be middle-aged and frumpy! I own the exact leopard-print sweater she was wearing in the Halloween episode and that scares me a little. ;)

Edited by jerusha, Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:10 PM.

lawgiver

lawgiver

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:09 PM

Hi, I'm lawgiver (Ruth), and I'm an Office-aholic.

Mr. lawgiver steadfastly refused to watch the first season and most of the second season, but I'm slowly drawing him into it.

Me? I'm a Phyllis-Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration shipper. Phyllis is one of my favorite secondary characters, but I'm slowly leaning towards Angela.

skillzdatkillz

skillzdatkillz

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:15 PM

Skillz, I will totally marry you. As long as you agree that you'd like to raise children who are as hopelessly addicted to TV as we are and that failure to fall in love with Buffy, The Office, early Gilmore Girls etc. is grounds for disowning them ;)

Haha, don't worry, the notary is writing it up as we speak, er, type.

I think I relate to Jim, for one thing, me loves me playing basketball.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:15 PM

I prefer my favorite TV shows to the VAST majority of movies.

I sort of do, too. In that I tend to rewatch my favorite TV shows much more than I rewatch (or, hell, watch) movies. There are definitely episodes of The X-Files (my favorite show ever) that I've watched over a dozen times. And I find The Office to be one of those shows that improves upon rewatching, so I tend to watch each episode at least three or four times. I've already watched last night's episode three times.

In my intro, I didn't mention my other TV preferences, so here goes.

Current shows I watch and love:The Office (of course), Scrubs, Everwood, Arrested Development, House, Battlestar Galactica, Project Runway, The Amazing Race

I watch some other shows, too (I'm between careers right now, so I've got a lot of free time), but those are the ones I'm really attached to--that's the most shows I've ever followed at one time in my life.

Shows I've been obsessed with over the years:The X-Files, Sports Night, Gilmore Girls (the early years--I don't watch it anymore), My So-Called Life

Edited by smrou, Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:19 PM.

tabbygirl521

tabbygirl521

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:26 PM

Hi, I'm Angela (yeah, and I have cats and I'm a floor warden too. HELP!!) and I expect to be unemployed one day thanks to my addiction to The Office threads. I used to live on the Sandra Lee forum but that was sick, not like my endless and wholesome love for The Office.

Jon Krasinski and my son are the same age, so I spend a lot of time feeling a bit pervy...

I'm one of the many Office (UK) fans who were skeptical about a remake, and I'm delighted to be WRONG WRONG WRONG.

I love Creed. Love his whole "barely there" presence, his ability NOT to be fired (hmm, maybe he can help me out once my corporate masters catch up with my computer usage...), to deflect work assignments ("I thought it was voluntary"...."Well, I thought it was voluntary"), to not bother knowing who anyone is. We have much to learn from the awesomeness that is Creed. He runs his office life, all the while with that snarky smile and those piercing, somewhat disturbing eyes. Oh, and I think he's Irish.

And I adore how Angela and Dwight totally "get" each other.

smrou

smrou

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:34 PM

Oh, one thing I like about The Office is that BJ Novak and John Krasinski are from my area, and they went to the high school that my dad taught at. Unfortunately, my dad didn't have either of them in class, although he did teach John's older brother.

I don't know why that makes me like the show even more, since it doesn't really have anything to do with the show itself, but it just makes me feel connected to it.

TV_Buffy

TV_Buffy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:38 PM

On the day I get reprimanded for too much Internet usage at work, The Office gets it own subforum. It cost me one percentage point in my raise, but if my posts here helped us get this forum, it was worth it!

I've been with TWoP since '99. The Office is the only sitcom I watch religiously. I have all episodes on my iPod.

I'm a total Jam shipper. However, I think I love the sum of all the supporting actors better than any of the leads. They all have such interesting details to them - they make the show infinitely more watchable.

Shows I've loved/love: Buffy, Angel, Veronica Mars, Freaks & Geeks, and My So-Called Life.

ksquared

ksquared

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:40 PM

My husband started watching The Office during the first season, but I just started watching during the one where Michael is doing the evaluations (don't remember what the name of that epi was). I'm now seriously addicted. I bought the season 1 DVD and am anxiously awaiting for the season 2 DVD so I can watch the ones I missed. (I know, I can get them at iTunes, but I'm like the only person in the UNIVERSE who doesn't have an iPod.)

ennuibot

ennuibot

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:43 PM

Hi there. I've been watching The Office since the pilot. Having gone through major Freaks and Geeks heartache, I'm thrilled that this show is taking off.

I got laid off from my last job a couple of months ago, so D-M makes me a bit wistful for employment. Yes, really. I love the uncomfortable moments, the ordinariness of the characters, and the writing in general. I have a theory about John Hughes movies and The Office, but I'll save it for another thread.

My only other Appointment Television is Lost, but I've been known to watch a fair amount of Adult Swim, the Food Network, Mythbusters, and, um, America's Next Top Model.

Morphine is my sister, and I'm not just saying that to impress the Hooters waitress.

jerusha

jerusha

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:53 PM

(I know, I can get them at iTunes, but I'm like the only person in the UNIVERSE who doesn't have an iPod.)

ksquared, I'm sure I'll be the first of a jillion people to tell you you don't need an iPod to watch the eps. The software (iTunes) is a free download and you can watch them on your computer, which is what I did for the ep I missed from last season. I have an iPod, but I'm not shelling out for a video one, and Michael didn't have my name in Secret Santa this year.

Pixel

Pixel

Stalker

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:53 PM

Hi. I'm new to the Office love affair. I tried to watch during season 1, but Steve Carell's idiot boss portrayal was so good I was too uncomfortable for him to even watch him.

I came back for Christmas Party and liked it enough to give it another try. Booze Cruise dragged me in, hook, line and sinker. I guess you could say I'm a little obsessed with seeing Jim get Pam. Since then I've downloaded almost every episode of Season 2, and am eagerly awaiting my season 1 DVD's from Netflix. Irony- when I put Season 1 on my queue, there was no wait. Then all of a sudden (after the move to Thursday) it went to "Very Long Wait". I hope that bodes well for the next seasons to come.

Oh, and I'm very excited to have started my first thread! I'm not a virgin anymore.

BTW, I totally love this forum. I like all the TWOP forums, but this one is just looser and more fun. Kind of like Jan, that whore.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 8:57 PM

I know, I can get them at iTunes, but I'm like the only person in the UNIVERSE who doesn't have an iPod.)

One of two. For some reason, I just can't see the need. I'm very content with my portable CD 'discman.'

I got laid off from my last job a couple of months ago, so D-M makes me a bit wistful for employment.

I'm so sorry you got laid off. I've been employed in my current job (at a place affectionately referred to as The Hellhole) for a year, but prior to this job I was out of work for about seven months. I was definitely panicked about finances and about where my career (what career?!) was going, but, in retrospect, it was so wonderful having time off and remembering how unimportant the workplace and all its accompanying drama is compared to other things in life. At this point, I'm so miserable where I am that being out of work sounds like a welcome change, but I know that when it comes to the issue of working vs. not working (horrible cliche alert!) the grass is always greener on the other side.

I love how many Buffy fans seem to be posting here. They're such different shows that I wouldn't have expected much of an overlap in their fanbases, but, then again, they ARE (IMHO) both among the best written and best acted shows since...ever.

Edited by marlaas, Feb 10, 2006 @ 9:02 PM.