Season 6 Already!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

43 replies to this topic

November1947

November1947

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 2:03 AM

People are going to vote on which Olympic athlete will be on the Apprentice.

http://www.celebrity...le020906-9.html

angusgreen

angusgreen

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 10, 2006 @ 4:50 AM

To quote the host of the other Apprentice (across the Atlantic).

"What a load of bloody b*ll*cks!"

Seriously, I think this smacks of desperation and indicates how a once interesting show has become the equivalent of Big Brother. It's not as if the athletes are any major names (I mean who cares about the Snowboarding athelete - is that a real winter sport?)

I hope this is a hoax (for the sake of the Winter Olympics as well as TA:6).

Edited by angusgreen, Feb 10, 2006 @ 4:51 AM.

Wallyhorse

Wallyhorse

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2006 @ 10:03 PM

Actually:

This (to me anyway) clearly sounds like something Jeff Zucker (NBC-Universal President and former NBC Entertainment head) insisted on. It would be right in line with some of the moves he made when he was heading the Entertainment division at NBC.

Edited by Wallyhorse, Feb 11, 2006 @ 10:05 PM.

GuyInGA

GuyInGA

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 11, 2006 @ 11:35 PM

I get the feeling Chad Hedrick will win the online poll/rigging, be on the show, and the real Chad (i.e. a total @sshole) comes out.

And moving it to L.A. just sounds bad. And smelly. Can you imagine people in business suits in direct, unobstructive sunlight?

coaster

coaster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2006 @ 8:32 PM

My first question in looking at the list of athletes in the running, was: do all these people actually WANT to be on TA? I'd be very disappointed if that was their next goal... I wonder if some of them have agreed to have themselves put in the running only after being assured they won't win.

Nascar

Nascar

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2006 @ 7:02 AM

I don't mind the idea. The Olympic candidate is only one of eighteen and if you can have a stripper, why not an Olympic athlete. Some of them have business backgrounds like Allison Baver who went to Penn State and is now working on her MBA. She is a speed skater and this gives her a chance for publicity her sport would never give her. For this reason I'm voting for her. (The fact that she's a total hottie has nothing to do with my choice - honest.)

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2006 @ 12:01 PM

I think Chad Hedrick is going to win, but why would any of them want to be on the Apprentice? Seems like not a very good career move. You have to interrupt your training for at least 5 weeks, and then what if you win the whole thing? Would you really rather spend a year with Trump than train for the next World Championships?

Someone like Chad Hedrick is going to have a bright future. He doesn't need Trump. This is all just a big marketing ploy by Trump. "We know you people are losing interest, so here's a trick to try and get you to watch." Gah.

adrem

adrem

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 12:38 AM

I don't mind the idea. The Olympic candidate is only one of eighteen and if you can have a stripper, why not an Olympic athlete.

That stripper was not voted for. She went through many rounds of grueling interviews and earned/won her right to be one of the eighteen candidates.
I think this idea smells of desperation.

"We know you people are losing interest, so here's a trick to try and get you to watch." Gah.

Exactly. I do not like this idea because it gives that athlete some sort of a free ride, which is unfair to other candidates.

Nascar

Nascar

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 6:43 AM

Trump selected all but one of the candidates for TA4. Can it be any worse to have the public select one candidate for TA6? Contestants for reality shows get selected in many different ways. I just heard Jamie from Survivor interviewed and he said he never sent in an audition tape. Apparently a producer noticed him and asked him if he wanted to be on the show. Sometimes people who apply for the Amazing Race end up on Survivor and vice versa. This is just another way to select a candidate.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 11:07 AM

It's true, it's another way to select a candidate, but if Trump's ratings weren't sagging, I doubt he'd allow the public to choose who is going to be on HIS show. The only reason why he's doing this is because he hopes people will be on a post-Olympic high and tune in for Season 5, during which I'm sure we're going to be repeatedly hit on the head with weekly announcements that "[Olympian] will be on Season 6!!!!"

The thing that most sucks is that the athlete is probably going to last very far into the game even if he or she doesn't deserve it. I mean, why go all blustery to promote this if Trump's just going to cut the athlete within the first few episodes?

I bet he's disappointed that he can't get the athlete on Season 5, because of taping. No doubt that's why they already announced plans for Season 6, to try and maintain interest.

Nascar

Nascar

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 12:30 PM

NBC paid big bucks for the Olympics so they are going to use that forum to promote as many of their programs as they can. Moving TA6 to LA is another gimmick to create interest and try to keep the show fresh. The same as the TA3 book smarts/street smarts idea. I can't fault the producers for trying different things. Look at what Survivor has done. Bringing back Steph and Bobby Jon, Exile Island, four tribes, etc. I didn't see a great deal of criticism on those changes. They're doing the same thing the Apprentice is, trying something different. A different way to select one candidate is not a major change.

AlmondEyes

AlmondEyes

Fanatic

Posted Feb 15, 2006 @ 3:15 PM

moved to appropriate thread . . . keep going folks, nothing to see here . . .

Edited by AlmondEyes, Feb 15, 2006 @ 8:25 PM.

Jacob

Jacob

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2006 @ 11:39 PM

Posting to bump this thread. Please use it instead of starting a bunch of pointless new threads. Thanks.

SHOCKING NEW TWISTS ROCK THE NEW SEASON OF NBC'S "APPRENTICE," WHEN 18 NEW CANDIDATES COME TO LOS ANGELES FOR THE TOUGHEST COMPETITION YET IN THE SHOW'S HISTORY ON SUNDAY, JANUARY 7 (9:30-11 P.M. ET)

Winning Team Will Live Like Trump Each Week in Luxurious Mansion, While Losing Team Sleeps in the Back Yard in Tents

BURBANK December 6, 2006 Dramatic new twists and turns and a cross-country move to Los Angeles make NBC's new season of "The Apprentice" more compelling than ever when 18 new contestants engage in the series' fiercest competition yet on Sunday, January 7 (9:30-11 p.m. ET). "The Apprentice" will return to its regular timeslot of 9-10 p.m. ET on Sunday, January 21 following the first two special 90-minute episodes airing January 7 and January 14.

In a compelling social experiment of haves and have nots, contestants this season will have to earn the right to live like Trump. Each week, the contestants on the winning team will get to live in a luxurious mansion. But contestants on the losing team will have to sleep outside in tents in the back yard of the mansion with outdoor showers and port-a-potties, giving contestants more incentive than ever to win their tasks each week.

In another engaging new twist, the winning project manager each week will remain project manager until they lose, plus they will also sit in the boardroom and help advise Trump on who he should fire each week from their opposing team. Ivanka and Donald Trump Jr. will return for several episodes, along with previous "Apprentice" winners, as boardroom advisors to their father.

The new "Apprentice" cast ranges in age from 24-37 and includes an Olympic Gold medalist, an internet entrepreneur, a construction firm owner and the vice president of business and legal affairs for a movie studio. All will have to navigate the new twists and turns while vying for the coveted title of "The Apprentice" and the career opportunity of a lifetime working for the legendary business tycoon.

protanto

protanto

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2006 @ 12:37 AM

They've got so many attorneys this season - it's not even funny...

Jacob

Jacob

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2006 @ 1:42 AM

I read a comment somewhere about how they're doing it on purpose to make sure the people act crazy and entitled. I hope that works out!

EverythingIsRen

EverythingIsRen

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2006 @ 6:11 AM

I read a comment somewhere about how they're doing it on purpose to make sure the people act crazy and entitled. I hope that works out!

...Because it's so difficult to get the contestants to act that way otherwise?

Yeah, I really don't think I'll be watching this season, and the whole camping thing is giving me less reason to tune in. I just really wanted to see if this forum was still alive.

Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2006 @ 9:08 AM

That really seems like a lot of gimmicks for 1 season, its like the whole thing is turning into the Joe Shmo Show. Obviously desperation is setting in.

In a compelling social experiment of haves and have nots, contestants this season will have to earn the right to live like Trump. Each week, the contestants on the winning team will get to live in a luxurious mansion. But contestants on the losing team will have to sleep outside in tents in the back yard of the mansion with outdoor showers and port-a-potties, giving contestants more incentive than ever to win their tasks each week

It wouldn't surprise me if Trump actually thinks that people who don't own gold bidets sleep in tents.

Kazoo Zak

Kazoo Zak

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 7, 2006 @ 11:27 AM

Another reality show already did it: the forgotten "My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss," which parodied the Apprentice after season 1, had the losing team sleep outside. Or eating baloney sandwiches under a viaduct. Or something similarly goofy.

It would be funny to see a bunch of lawyers trying to set up tents and fail, but maybe just for five minutes.

chisey

chisey

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 7, 2006 @ 4:29 PM

well you know, my first reaction is to roll my eyes and think 'well, at least they're no longer pretending to have any sort of business credibility?', my second reaction is 'actually, it's somewhat amusing in a watch-a-train-wreck kind of way', my third reaction is 'it's ridiculous and I'm too smart to watch this crap!' and my fourth is 'who am I kidding? No I'm not. I'm so not.'

OK, so I'm kind of just hoping the trials of living in 'the wild' will induce an actual fist fight. Or someone will at least threaten to sue for tort damages if a tent falls on him/her.

Cherry Wire

Cherry Wire

Fanatic

Posted Dec 7, 2006 @ 4:57 PM

Wow, that's gonna be...in-tents! (groan)

Well, they're definitely trying something they couldn't do in NYC, but this is getting out of hand. I have a feeling "Apprentice" has become one of those reality series, like "The Real World" and "Survivor", where the contestants seem to get more train-wreck-ish every year, almost certainly prompted by producer stunts like these.

paulyb84

paulyb84

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 7, 2006 @ 9:28 PM

Imagine if they'd lived in tents all along. Think of all the fun. Assorama would have gotten stung by a bee and tried to skip a task.

protanto

protanto

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2006 @ 12:02 AM

I have a feeling "Apprentice" has become one of those reality series, like "The Real World" and "Survivor

"
Word. Mr. Burnett must've run out of ideas. Or other people, who are still creative, protect their ideas so well that MB is unable to steal them.
Overall, I am not really sure if there is any correlation between a camp life and business acumen.
So far, Trump's idea does not impress me. It actually smells of bad taste. But I could be wrong. We'll see...

Mufasa Thedog

Mufasa Thedog

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 8, 2006 @ 12:08 AM

I wonder if we're actually going to see the losers in the tents. Up until now, once a contestant lost, (s)he was never heard from again, unless they were brought back for the final task.

protanto

protanto

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2006 @ 12:02 AM

I have a feeling "Apprentice" has become one of those reality series, like "The Real World" and "Survivor

"
Word. Mr. Burnett must've run out of ideas. Or other people, who are still creative, protect their ideas so well that MB is unable to steal them.
Overall, I am not really sure if there is any correlation between a camp life and business acumen.
So far, Trump's idea does not impress me. It actually smells of bad taste. But I could be wrong. We'll see...

Mufasa Thedog

Mufasa Thedog

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 8, 2006 @ 12:08 AM

I wonder if we're actually going to see the losers in the tents. Up until now, once a contestant lost, (s)he was never heard from again, unless they were brought back for the final task.

protanto

protanto

Fanatic

Posted Dec 8, 2006 @ 1:16 PM

My guess is that we will not see the fired person, but will be treated to the drama of the "sufferings" of the remaining members of the losing team.

phertochris

phertochris

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 8, 2006 @ 11:26 PM

Gimmicks galore, and no viceroys, just 3 Trumps--I'm so over this show. Trump is ever so crass, but he's himself and I kind of like how he infuriates me--I'm not tuning in to see a show that regularly features his two kids. Their vapid, slack, characterless, unlined, blank faces creep me out a bit, actually. Tents--lord help us, that completely destroys any integrity the show might have had--but to ax the viceroys and add the two kids--I'm done, done, done.

DiamondKingPin

DiamondKingPin

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 9, 2006 @ 10:49 AM

In another engaging new twist, the winning project manager each week will remain project manager until they lose, plus they will also sit in the boardroom and help advise Trump on who he should fire each week from their opposing team.

Though a bit "Survivor-ish", the winning PM getting to sit in the losing board room is an interesting concept. Wonder how many winning PMs will actually evaluate the task and how many will use it for personal attacks.

Also, barring an unlikely late winning streak, "PM until you lose" will likely lead to the first winner with a PM loss.

Haughty

Haughty

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 9, 2006 @ 7:17 PM

Mufasa, the fired apprentices dont live in the tents... it's just the losing team for the week. So, yes, we'll see lots of footage from the tents. And then, if the losing team comes back and wins, the two teams swap.

MeeMaw

MeeMaw

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2006 @ 10:11 PM

The new "Apprentice" cast ranges in age from 24-37 and includes an Olympic Gold medalist, an internet entrepreneur, a construction firm owner and the vice president of business and legal affairs for a movie studio.

I read your capsule descriptions of the new group, Jacob. Which one is the Olympic Gold medalist?