Name That Show: A Quiz Topic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

200 replies to this topic

Feckless

Feckless

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 5:23 AM

A topic to post maddeningly obscure references to various TV shows and see who can identify them. Googling is permitted but probably won't help. Please spoiler-tag your answers.
For example, which show had its pilot shown last?
Firefly
That one was easy. Here's some more difficult ones:
Name two shows whose titles are anagrams of each other.
Name the show that a Jordanian prince guest-starred in.
Which show had a main character shot in the head by another main character at the end of the pilot?
The characters of this show were trying to save the entire population of Earth from certain death. The show was cancelled before they did so.

Gaymo

Gaymo

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 6:01 AM

The characters of this show were trying to save the entire population of Earth from certain death. The show was cancelled before they did so.

Is it Threshold? I loved that show.

SVNBob

SVNBob

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 6:05 AM

Name the show that a Jordanian prince guest-starred in.

That would be ST:VOY. And sidebar; he's king now.

Which show had a main character shot in the head by another main character at the end of the pilot?

Has to be The Shield.

Morrigan8472

Morrigan8472

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 6:07 AM

I think it is Eyes.

Justin Cognito

Justin Cognito

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 6:24 AM

Odyssey 5, I think it was called?

Queenrikki

Queenrikki

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 8:26 AM

Sounds like it could be Crusade, too.

Feckless

Feckless

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 4:27 PM

Is it Threshold? I loved that show.

Close, but the antagonists on the show don't seem to be killing people, exactly.

Odyssey 5, I think it was called.
Sounds like it could be Crusade, too?

Both of these qualify, I was thinking of the latter.

That would be ST:VOY. And sidebar; he's king now.

Correct. I thought saying he's the king would make it too easy.

I think it is Eyes.

Correct. I'm not sure if The Shield qualifies - I didn't see the pilot.

Mack the Spoon

Mack the Spoon

Stalker

• Interests:Languages, traveling, music, learning as much as I can, good television and movies, writing

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 6:48 PM

Name two shows whose titles are anagrams of each other.

Don't know if these are the ones you're thinking of, but Doctor Who and Torchwood.

Feckless

Feckless

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 11:56 PM

Don't know if these are the ones you're thinking of, but Doctor Who and Torchwood

Correct. Maybe these were too easy. Can anyone come up with some harder ones?

chortle

chortle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2006 @ 7:36 AM

In the 1981 two shows had characters named John LaRue. Name them. A tiny clue: one show was at the end of its run, the other at the beginning.

bigmonster

bigmonster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2006 @ 7:41 AM

In the 1981 two shows had characters named John LaRue

One was Hill Street Blues and was the other one SCTV??

chortle

chortle

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2006 @ 7:54 AM

Yes, bigmonster, you win a crane shot.

Feckless

Feckless

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2006 @ 4:43 PM

Speaking of character names:
This show's lead character originally had the same name as a famous prisoner. The creators hastily changed it before production started, but he still has the same surname.
The lead actor of this show changed the surname of his character as a tribute to an astronaut.
This show has two character surnames which are also English words, pronounced and spelled exactly the same. They're an adjective and a verb if that helps.

CoderLady

CoderLady

Fanatic

• Interests:Really, really good sci-fi and drama.

Posted Feb 4, 2006 @ 5:05 PM

The lead actor of this show changed the surname of his character as a tribute to an astronaut.

This is the only one I know: Gil Grissom on CSI.

Edited by CoderLady, Feb 4, 2006 @ 5:45 PM.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2006 @ 9:16 PM

This show's lead character originally had the same name as a famous prisoner. The creators hastily changed it before production started, but he still has the same surname.

Greatest American Hero, whose Ralph Hinkley became, briefly, 'Mr. H' to his students, then I believe Mr. Huntley, but remained Ralph.

phxchic

phxchic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2006 @ 9:22 PM

TudorQueen, They changed his name to Hanley, but you're right--his first name stayed Ralph

This show has two character surnames which are also English words, pronounced and spelled exactly the same. They're an adjective and a verb if that helps.

I'm not sure if you're thinking of this show, but House has three names that fit this criteria: House, Foreman, and Chase. Two nouns (although Foreman can be an adjective) and a verb.

MetropolisGal

MetropolisGal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2006 @ 9:34 PM

These questions are inter-related:

What show had several Earth colonies destroyed in the pilot episode?

What show dealt with the effects of a new species on Earth?

What show dealt with the overthrow of the United States government?

Bonus points if you can tell me what these shows had in common.

bigmonster

bigmonster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2006 @ 10:49 PM

Name the only actor to play supporting roles on two different shows, on two different networks, at the same time.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2006 @ 11:09 PM

Me, again. I can't resist, because I loved the actor in question.

Name the only actor to play supporting roles on two different shows, on two different networks, at the same time.

I'm thinking of Richard Anderson, who played Oscar Goldman on both 'The Six Million Dollar Man' and its spinoff, 'The Bionic Woman', even after the latter moved to a different network.

bigmonster

bigmonster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2006 @ 11:32 PM

OK, Tudor Queen, you 're right. I meant to exclude him by saying this actor played two different roles on two different shows on two different networks at the same time. I'll give you a hint: You were about 10 to 15 years off.

Feckless

Feckless

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2006 @ 12:28 AM

CoderLady is correct. TudorQueen is close, but the character kept his surname, not his first name. It might help to say that his namesake is a famous author as well, and is not currently a prisoner. Phxchic, I wasn't thinking of that one but it does fit the question.
As for the questions:

What show had several Earth colonies destroyed in the pilot episode?

Space: Above and Beyond.

What show dealt with the effects of a new species on Earth?

Alien Nation.

I got nothing here. I don't think The Second Civil War actually had the US government overthrown.

PerpetualLurker

PerpetualLurker

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 5, 2006 @ 1:06 AM

Is it Chris Noth? He played Mike Logan on Law and Order (NBC) and also Mr. Big on Sex and the City (HBO) didn't he?

Deebs

Deebs

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2006 @ 5:13 AM

About three years ago, John Amos co-starred on a truly awful WB show called "All About the Andersons" while at the same time having a continuing (and not-yet-deceased) role as Admiral Fitzwallace on "The West Wing." Is this who you mean?

(edited to add the spoiler tags I was too dumb to include the first time around)

Edited by Deebs, Feb 5, 2006 @ 6:01 AM.

Morrigan8472

Morrigan8472

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2006 @ 5:31 AM

My timing might be off on this but I think Harriet Samson Harris was playing Frasier's agent on NBC in their final season at the same time she was playing Felicia Tillman on Desperate Housewives on ABC.

Edited by Morrigan8472, Feb 5, 2006 @ 5:31 AM.

frenchtoast

frenchtoast

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2006 @ 5:51 AM

I immediately thought of Stephen Culp who was on JAG, Desperate Housewives and also had a part on Enterprise. And all three characters were killed off.

bigmonster

bigmonster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2006 @ 7:03 AM

It was actually in the very early 60's that both these shows were on.

phxchic

phxchic

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2006 @ 6:57 PM

I'm gonna go with one of the many incarnations of V, which would mean all three shows had aliens coming to Earth in common.

Cynzano

Cynzano

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 5, 2006 @ 7:57 PM

It was actually in the very early 60's that both these shows were on.

Stefanie Powers was Calamity Jane on Bonanza and on Route 66, both in November of 1963.

bigmonster I'm guessing this isn't what you're after. Can you give another hint?

bigmonster

bigmonster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2006 @ 9:01 PM

I can tell you that it was a man, and that both the shows were comedies

PhantomChic

PhantomChic

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2006 @ 9:23 PM

I immediately thought of Stephen Culp who was on JAG, Desperate Housewives and also had a part on Enterprise. And all three characters were killed off.

Also The West Wing. When I saw it, I thought of both him and Armin Shimmerman who spent two and half years doing double duty on ST:DS9 and Buffy, then lost both jobs at the same time.