S3 Speculation Speculation for Season 3 of Project Runway

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1439 replies to this topic

Jeff

Jeff

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 10:48 AM

What's going to happen?

silvyme

silvyme

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 2:24 PM

Can we speculate with spoilers or no?

I am going to assume no. Without thinking about any of the spoilers, I wanted to say that I don't think Santino is going to be in the final three. He hasn't impressed the judges lately and as much as I hate to say it, without his over confidence when he is designing, he is just not that creative. I think it would benefit him if he thought he was the best.

Jempilot

Jempilot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 2:43 PM

The links to Rebecca's pictures in a couple of different outfits over in the spoiler thread seem to be taken on the same day as the picture of her in the orchid-inspiration-type blouse that Rebecca wears that's posted in Daniel's portfolio on the Bravo site. It would make sense that those pictures are after Fashion Week, since Daniel's hair is shorter, but it's hard for me to believe that Bravo would allow Daniel to use one of those photos in his portfolio - I imagined the portfolio was comprised of designs that the designers applied to the show with. And no one has hinted that Daniel knew Rebecca before the show, although I can see them remaining friends after the show - he seems like a sweetie and she's a great model. Discuss?

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 3:13 PM

I would like to speculate that the Metro "spoilers" are crap. Nowhere in the article does it say that these three are the final three, just that they were the ones interviewed by the paper. I'd guess they just picked those three because they were the front runners in the beginning, and they didn't have enough space to talk about everyone.

At this point I think it would be crazy to have a final three without Daniel V. He only has to survive one challenge and he's won so many times I think the judges would keep him.

Article: http://parex.metro.s...202_NewYork.pdf (page 16)

jm chen

jm chen

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 4:08 PM

In the beginning it seemed so clear to me that Nick, Chloe, and Santino were the only possible, reasonable final three.

Now, even with only five remaining, I could see a very valid final three with only one of them represented. Hell, before Andrae was aufed last night, I could have seen a final three with NONE of them there.

I speculate that Kara is out on the next challenge... she would have been out this week (Flower Power) if she hadn't done such a gorgeous job. And either Nick or Santino will go the week after that, depending on performance.

That's what I find really awesome and exciting about this show. Although they take history into account somewhat, I really do think that performance on each and every challenge matters.

So who will we see in the final three? Whoever does the best job next week and the week after. Nick and Santino are running neck-and-neck for me right now but I think I'd most like to see Chloe, Daniel V, and Nick in the finals.

atlantis81

atlantis81

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 4:42 PM

It seems like the Chloe, Santino and Nick were designated by Bravo/ Project Runway to interview with the paper. It was probably the network's decision and not the paper's decision; maybe they were the closest to being done that challenge, or maybe PR just felt like the three of them made for the best characters/quotes. They'd be like "well, Santino, of course, because he's crazy, and we think everyone's going to like Nick, so we'll have Nick do it, and we need a girl, so we'll send Chloe down there." Or something.

I really don't think there's any more to it than that.

Although, I am really, really confused... the article hints that the interviews happened during the last inspiration challenge, but then Nick is talking about how he really "liked" working with Kara, and he "worked" the worst with Santino, past-tense. I don't get it.

Edited by atlantis81, Feb 2, 2006 @ 4:46 PM.

clack

clack

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 4:56 PM

The long-foreshadowed clash between Nick and Santino comes next episode. We also know that Nick continues to resent Santino to this day.

Why would Nick still resent Santino if Nick went to the final 3, and Santino was booted? I think it more likely to be the reverse -- that Nick and Santino clash, Nick gets aufed, and Santino is in.

Final 3 : Santino, Dan, Chloe.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 5:16 PM

We also know that Nick continues to resent Santino to this day.

Nick did make that crack about seeing Santino out and said he only said, "Hi" to him, but when asked on Andy's Blog (on the Bravo site) about Santino, Nick offered this:

I have to admit I think he's a really funny, funny guy. I like him. I like being with him - I can party with him. He had such a strong personality and is so self-absorbed that it's hard to work WITH him. For the Banana and lingerie challenges it was difficult. I was a willing participant in his vision. I got him. I understood him. Thank God he started singing or imitating Tim during challenges - he brought the tension level down. We had some deep moments of honesty off-camera back in the apartment so I know who the real guy is. Watching him say stuff on TV has been a little disconcerting because I was there when he came out of the confessional but I didn't know what he was saying. I can understand why people think he's a self-driven creep. I am a little shocked but also not shocked at what he's said privately to the camera. I did figure if he was talking crap about everyone else he'd be talking crap about me. But I don't hate him for it.

There's a preview video up on the Bravo site where Santino more or less says he's going to the top three. That, in my mind, amounts to last night's foreshadowing of Andrae claiming he was surely not the one going home. (paraphrased)

Edited by Major Misfit, Feb 2, 2006 @ 5:16 PM.

DanHDan

DanHDan

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 5:23 PM

There's a preview video up on the Bravo site where Santino more or less says he's going to the top three. That, in my mind, amounts to last night's foreshadowing of Andrae claiming he was surely not the one going home. (paraphrased)

The clip also mentions Nick saying he knows he has to "step it up". Maybe that means he is the next one gone, or maybe he'll improve (the judges would probably want to keep Daniel/Santino/Nick/Chloe to the final four, at least). But the clip at the end of the episode seemed to want us to pity Santino because Nick wasn't talking to him (they also used a very innocuous clip of Nick and Santino joking around as an example of them "arguing", so I wonder how real this feud is), so maybe we are supposed to take Santino's side. I've given up on figuring out their intentions, other than his being the person they put in third because they know they won't let him win but they want him around to liven up the finale.

Purple Ditz

Purple Ditz

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 7:00 PM

The long-foreshadowed clash between Nick and Santino comes next episode. We also know that Nick continues to resent Santino to this day.

Why would Nick still resent Santino if Nick went to the final 3, and Santino was booted? I think it more likely to be the reverse -- that Nick and Santino clash, Nick gets aufed, and Santino is in.

Agreed. I really can't see any other Final 3. All of Nick's post-filming interviews have been quite bitter, and he's been going through a serious downward spiral - he started out as a favorite, and now Michael Kors said he designs everything with vulgarity. Ouch. We know Kara won't make it, and Chloe and Daniel are pretty much shoo-ins.

Major Misfit, do you know which of those Nick interviews was more recent? The "hi" one or the one you quoted? Because the one you quoted makes it seem like he and Santino have reconciled.

DanHDan

DanHDan

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 7:34 PM

All of Nick's post-filming interviews have been quite bitter,

These are his interviews. Most of them don't seem bitter to me.

He talks frequently about his line and the dresses he's making for clients - that makes me think he won't go to Fashion Week because he's trying to direct public attention towards his own business while he has a chance. But I don't see any bitterness, aside from the comment about Santino he made in one interview.

and now Michael Kors said he designs everything with vulgarity.

He probably didn't hear that comment until the episode aired last night, so I don't think Kors's bitching (which reflected worse on him than Nick, I think) influenced his interviews.

Major Misfit

Major Misfit

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 8:12 PM

Major Misfit, do you know which of those Nick interviews was more recent? The "hi" one or the one you quoted? Because the one you quoted makes it seem like he and Santino have reconciled.

The first link that DanHDan posted links to the Queerty article (from 1/18/06) where Nick says:

Q:You and Santino. The rivalry is starting to heat up. Are you two getting along these days?
Nick:I saw him out at an LA club right after we ended the show--briefly said “hello,” but I have not spoken or seen him since. Would like to keep it that way.

The piece from Andy's Blog that I posted was posted on the Bravo site on 2/1/06; though who knows when the actual interview was conducted.

It seems there is some disconnect between what Nick said about Santino in the Queerty article and what he said to "Andy." I don't know how he squares, "...I have not spoken [to] or seen him since. Would like to keep it that way..." with "I like him. I like being with him - I can party with him," so ... not really sure what the story is there.

Sigh. I hope so (but still stick with a Daniel, Chloe, Nick F3). Though I really wish it were Santino, Nick, and Daniel—but that's not gonna happen.

DanHDan

DanHDan

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 8:26 PM

The interviews on Andy's Blog - are they set more in the past tense, with the designers staying in the time frame of the show as not to give away any spoilers?

Maybe Nick talked to Santino after the interview (Santino had a Qweerty interview so he might have kept up with the site and read Nick's interview), or maybe Nick thought the comment came across more negative than he meant.

abcd

abcd

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 8:57 PM

In the preview of next weeks' show, they show Kara crying (so what else is new? Posted Image) and switch to a shot of Santino sitting with one arm covering his lowered face, in despair. The preview also implies that Chloe is supposed to do a head to toe design using Nick as the model and Santino is supposed to do a head to toe design using Kara as the model.
It seems Daniel does not need to do a design at all due to the immunity (the format of the challenge implies this...).

Despite the prevailing wisdom that Kara is going to be out, I am going to go on a limb and say it is Nick that gets kicked off.

hartichoke

hartichoke

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 9:15 PM

I think Daniel does have to do a design. I don't think the designers are paired (e.g. Kara would makeover Santino and Santino would makeover Kara) - in the preview clip on the site Heidi says she'll be drawing names from a hat to determine who each designer has to makeover.

desdamonab

desdamonab

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 9:15 PM

It would take a shocking turn of events for Chloe and Daniel V. not to make the final three. Even a guest judge couldn't screw it up because guest judges pick winners and not losers. I haven't seen anything that has even the faint whiff of a hint of criticism for Daniel or Chloe from the judges.

It would also take a shocking turn of events for Kara to make the final three. Fair enough. It was clear that only real contraints (COYB, Flower Power) pushed her out of her comfort zone. Left to her own devices, her work was pretty, had commercial appeal and complemented a woman's body (which seems important to the judges this season), but she never distinguished herself. If they weren't going to give her immunity even when a very reasonable argument could be made that she best fulfilled the criteria of the challenge, she isn't making the final three.

That leaves Nick and Santino battling for the last spot. My guess is Santino, but it's only a guess. Michael Kors "Santino is getting it" comment and his "Nick is vulgar" comment seemed so out of the blue and, frankly, not well supported by the facts. But whatever. I don't really care. I'm looking forward to the Fashion Week collections, but I haven't emotionally attached to any of the designers. I think that's partly because I feel more manipulated by the producers this year. At least with Wendy Pepper, she was all out there, they never tried to edit her as anything but a two-faced bee-yatch, and she did win the last challenge fair and square.

Bzani

Bzani

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 9:18 PM

I have officially jumped off of the "Daniel-Chloe-Nick" train and onto the "Daniel-Chloe-Santino" train.

Purple Ditz

Purple Ditz

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 9:39 PM

Despite the prevailing wisdom that Kara is going to be out, I am going to go on a limb and say it is Nick that gets kicked off.

I think so, too. The season wouldn't be complete without a surprise elimination (a la Austin), and all signs point to Nick as this season's sacrifice. Plus, if Nick goes next week, I'm assuming Kara will have something to do with it (based on her crying), therefore making her the "villain" and taking the attention off of Santino - fitting in perfectly with the redemption arc the producers are giving him. I also have a strong feeling that Nick gets aufed before he reconciles with Santino, leaving the two of them on a sour note (as seen from that Nick interview).

It will be really ironic, too, because Nick will be breaking his rule of "not going out like Zulema" (not leaving with bad blood) - he'll leave with tension between he and Santino.

Gunslinger

Gunslinger

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 10:29 PM

There has been a lot of talk about red herrings. I think maybe this whiny Nick footage is a red herring to get us to believe he is too drained for fashion week. Although, the truth is there should be a monkeyload of red herrings going on at this point. That's good television and good production, in my opinion. I want to be in suspense. I don't want it to be a boring, I-knew-they-would-make-it-from-the-beginning kind of deal.

Would I be a little disappointed with Kara? Probably, though maybe her line would have a stunning, urban-quality like her barbie and COYB challenges.

Would I love Nick? Yes. Yes. And again, yes, However, he has seemed to lose quite a bit of his desire. A line based on heiresses in Mykonos? Please no.

I'd love to see Santino's line. But, I have a feeling it will be all empire waists and unflattering figures, and that would be disappointing, too.

Daniel - I don't really care. He is so "meh," as ya'all are saying, for me. I don't see consistency, so I guess it would be interesting what his collective inspiration, from his own experience and desires, would be.

Chloe - ditto Daniel. And please, PR, this is no time to play the feminism card. Clean lines and well-made but simplicity? Wendy. Pepper's. Line. Well-made but boring.

DanHDan

DanHDan

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 11:20 PM

Plus, if Nick goes next week, I'm assuming Kara will have something to do with it (based on her crying),

Is that the scene where she's sitting beside Nick crying? I thought she was talking about something she didn't tell Santino and Nick was trying to comfort her.

There has been a lot of talk about red herrings. I think maybe this whiny Nick footage is a red herring to get us to believe he is too drained for fashion week.

He does say he will try to step up for the next challenge, so you might have a point. I don't think most of the footage has been that whiny as much as they have had him repeating the same comments about Tarah over and over since she was taken, then she was kicked off. I also wonder why if Kara doesn't go until the final four, why didn't they give her the immunity?

I think they are setting Nick and Santino up to be the bottom at the final four episode, and Nick is probably eliminated.

JerseyExport

JerseyExport

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 11:26 PM

Did I halluncinate a promo with Heidi, or possibly another judge, saying, "I hate it," like flat out? I don't discount the possibility, but if I did actually see it, I think that's what Kara's crying over, that she couldn't come up with anything good to say about what was designed for her. After the Inspiration challenge, we saw that she has no problem talking about her own designs, even to excess, so it makes more sense for me to think of it this way.

Edited by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Edited by JerseyExport, Feb 2, 2006 @ 11:28 PM.

hartichoke

hartichoke

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 12:24 AM

No, you weren't hallucinating! Heidi does say that and we get to see reaction shots from Daniel and Kara.

Is it just me or in the preview where Santino says "I need Kara to say 'this is exactly what I wanted!'" sound completely pieced together? ("I need Kara to say" and then "This is exactly what I wanted!") I swear I saw scraps of fur at his work station that I didn't see on the pants suit Kara was wearing which has me wondering if he's even designing for Kara. Or maybe I just need to stop being so suspicious of the previews!

the fresh maker

the fresh maker

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 12:40 AM

From this week's "Ask Tim":

I have found that the designers who use their experience and exposure on the show to leverage opportunities are doing very, very well. As I write this, season two is still in progress and already one of the eliminated designers has received a big job offer, another is poised to open a boutique on one of the chicest fashion block in Manhattan, and the executive fashion director of a major, high-end department store has asked to meet with three others. How sensational is that?

So, who are these mystery designers, and is he referring to all of the designers who don't make it to Fashion Week, or only the designers we know have been auffed thus far?

1) The designer with "the big job offer", I believe, is Daniel Franco. There have been rumors of him teaming up with Alla of The Apprentice fame, and they'll have their own reality show.

2) Diana has gotten a lot of attention and good publicity after the show, and in an article about her, Tim said she used the show very strategically and to great benefit. If she's been approached by a department store, then maybe they asked her for the hoodie or some of her knits.

3) Emmett's opening a boutique in NYC, as reported on Laura's blog.

Who are the other designers mentioned? I can't see Kirsten, Zulema, or Marla being approached by a department store, although I do know Zulema will be showing her own line soon, so who knows? Could Andrae be in this mix? And I suppose I completely forgot about Heidi, John, and Raymundo.

LPizzle

LPizzle

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 2:09 AM

1) The designer with "the big job offer", I believe, is Daniel Franco. There have been rumors of him teaming up with Alla of The Apprentice fame, and they'll have their own reality show.

Also, Daniel Franco's myspace lists his companies as BCBG and Richard Tyler, could either of those be the big job? Maybe?

Braxton Hicks

Braxton Hicks

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 2:25 AM

I think Chloe may be aufed this week. She is going to have to design something that isn't a simple, low cut dress - and it may allow the judges to suddenly see her limitations. I'm almost wondering if Nina's 'I'm not impressed any more' comment may come this week - and apply to her attempt at menswear.

Reading between the lines of Nick's interviews, and his bitter comments about thinking that the show was judged on talent rather than personality, I imagine that he goes against Santino in the final challenge, and is sent home.

Which leaves a final three of Daniel, Santino and Kara...

acetylenevirgin

acetylenevirgin

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 3:08 AM

I do think the "Not impressed anymore" comment is going to be fired at someone who has had a minimum of bad comments lobbed at them- either Chloe or Daniel V. Nina has not often been impressed by either Santino or Kara. I feel like Nick has fared better than those two in Nina's estimation, but not enough for her to no longer be "impressed." Although I lurve, lurve, lurve me some Chloe, I agree with an above poster that menswear could reveal Chloe's limitations as a designer. I hope! her previous (consistent) body of work absolves her of elimination this week (Kara is obviously the weakest designer at this point), but ultimately I think the comment is Chloe-aimed.

DanHDan

DanHDan

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 3:35 AM

Reading between the lines of Nick's interviews, and his bitter comments about thinking that the show was judged on talent rather than personality, I imagine that he goes against Santino in the final challenge, and is sent home.

I agree that's probably what will happen, although I don't think most of his comments were bitter, they seem to have positive memories of the show.

I do think the "Not impressed anymore" comment is going to be fired at someone who has had a minimum of bad comments lobbed at them-

Didn't she make those comments in the flower challenge and that footage was not aired in the episode? She was probably talking about Nick.

BlueHerons

BlueHerons

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 11:05 AM

It would take a shocking turn of events for Chloe and Daniel V. not to make the final three. Even a guest judge couldn't screw it up because guest judges pick winners and not losers. I haven't seen anything that has even the faint whiff of a hint of criticism for Daniel or Chloe from the judges.

But who would have ever thought last season Wendy Pepper would have made the final and Austen would not? My opinion was that it would come down to Kara Saun and Austin Scarlett. Jay did not win a challenge all last season.

silvyme

silvyme

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 4:47 PM

This next challenge seems supremely unfair. This show is about designing for women, right? Menswear design isn't really what anyone signed up for. Or I guess I had assumed that it was about designing for women. I don't know what the judging criteria is going to be for this next challenge. You are suppose to give your fellow designer a makeover. So it is how you think they should dress. I feel for Chloe when she says she doesn't know how to design menswear. I feel equally bad for the men who have to design for men too. None of them have the training to really complete this mission.

I am curious about whoever gets to dress Chloe. It takes a lot of talent to dress short women.

Whoever gets Kara really lucks out since they get to design for someone who is sort of modelish in that she is of average height and build.

All in all, I think this challenge is just a way for the producers to add extra drama. I personally think it is Santino who will go out, just based on the comment made by Kara. My problem with it is, she doesn't have to like her makeover. It is Santino's vision of what she should look like.

I am really disappointed in the way these challenges are presented to the designers. If there are future seasons of the show, they should really work on that.

alphacat

alphacat

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2006 @ 4:57 PM

This next challenge seems supremely unfair. This show is about designing for women, right? Menswear design isn't really what anyone signed up for. Or I guess I had assumed that it was about designing for women. I don't know what the judging criteria is going to be for this next challenge. You are suppose to give your fellow designer a makeover. So it is how you think they should dress. I feel for Chloe when she says she doesn't know how to design menswear. I feel equally bad for the men who have to design for men too. None of them have the training to really complete this mission.

Maybe Emmett will come back as a consultant. He designs menswear, you know!