ACTOR: Katherine Heigl

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5381 replies to this topic

Lolafalona

Lolafalona

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 9:39 AM

Perhaps she needs to take her own advice for Washington and Not. Speak. In. Public. Period.

missiemeghan

missiemeghan

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 10:00 AM

I'm glad she made the decision to withdraw her name. The Emmys will continue to nominate the same people over and over again regardless of quality. The opportunity should go to another actress. I remember Candice Bergan winning her 30th Emmy for Murphy Brown, she actually looked embarrassed to be up there.

That being said, it was incredibly unwise to issue a statement attacking the writing staff. The writing has been subpar for Izzie to be sure, but it have been showing improvement post strike. The only thing that can come from such public criticism is further character assasination for Izzie. ABC won't fire her, she'll just wish they had. If Katherine truly cares about the character and "keeping her real" like she has claimed to, she has done the worst thing possible for her.

Sean Young was once an outspoken young starlet on the cusp of greatness, remember what happened to her, because she never learned the lesson; less is more.

Enigma13

Enigma13

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 10:36 AM

And it shows she's not in it for the "fame".

Actually, I think this shows the opposite. Making a statement that pretty much attacks the writers will bring her a lot of attention-- in this case it's just shallow attention seeking fame rather than the more "honourable" fame that an Emmy nom would bring, if you get what I mean. Maybe she assumed she wouldn't get a nomination to begin with* and decided to sidestep the humiliation of that and create a controversy instead. And yes, I do believe that she knew exactly what she was doing by saying this stuff to the LA Times-- shit stirring, basically.

The fake statement from the writers is pretty funny.

Indeed, but I'm not sure how I feel about them essentially stooping to her level- albeit in a humorous way. Part of me really believes that you don't air your dirty laundry in public; the other thinks she totally deserves the snark.

* which would be weird, right? I think it's the Emmys where you're practically guaranteed a nom if you won the year before, but that could just be the Best Drama category.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 10:41 AM

Indeed, but I'm not sure how I feel about them essentially stooping to her level- albeit in a humorous way. Part of me really believes that you don't air your dirty laundry in public; the other thinks she totally deserves the snark.

Although I kind of don't blame the writers for their statement, I think that this might get kind of ugly. I don't have the exact wording, but the writers mentioned something about what a great "actress" she is which kind of gave me the impression that they were implying that she may act all down to earth, unselfish, etc. but that she is in fact, the opposite. In other words, they don't really care for her.

Personally, I think that she can be refreshing and I agree with some of her opinions (about Knocked Up's sexism for example), but this was just uncalled for I think and it puts everyone in the cast and on the crew in an uncomfortable situation which is something that they really don't need right now. In addition to the writers strike and the looming actors strike, Grey's has a history of backstage drama which often overshadows the work. And this will probably overshadow the great work that EP, CW. SR and JC to name a few, have put into this otherwise crappy season.

fishwife56

fishwife56

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 11:09 AM

If Katherine's intent is to get fired by the show all she has to do now is get up on stage at the Emmy's and say, "I did not call Shonda Rhimes a shitty (or something equally as offensive) writer."

NurseShorty

NurseShorty

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 12:45 PM

STFU, Heigl!! No, I became so incensed when I read this, I'm going to type out.

Shut. THE FUCK. Up. Katherine Heigl.

Does Heigl ever want to get nominated for anything ever again? Does she ever want to work with anyone ever?

I say this because she could've just stopped at "I did not feel that I was given the material this season to warrant an Emmy nomination." That would have been just fine. That statement alone would have kept this non-issue "in house" so to speak. But to be a complete idiot and say, "In addition, I did not want to potentially take away an opportunity from an actress who was given such materials" is out of line and shows how full of herself she is.

If I were an actress, I'd be like, wtf?

If I were an Academy member, I'd take the implications of that statement as all negative. She's assuming that I wouldn't be able to discern from quality material/acting and her less-than-quality material/acting this season. Someone mentioned that Bill Cosby and Candice Bergen withdrew themselves from Emmy nomination consideration... well that's Bill Cosby and Candice Bergen, both established television legends. Heigl is a good actress, but she hasn't amounted the body of work or achieved the prolonged success to warrant this delusional and self-centered gesture.

And if she keeps heading down this road, I doubt she'll even be able to do so.

And OH PLEASE GOD, I hope I hope I HOPE that whoever wins the Best Supporting Actress award gives a special thanks to Katherine Heigl.

ETA: Some of you seem to think that the "writer's statement" was an actual statement. Dateline Hollywood is a satirical website along the lines of The Onion. So it's not real, just a hilarious summation of this whole thing.

Edited by NurseShorty, Jun 12, 2008 @ 12:50 PM.

fishwife56

fishwife56

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 2:54 PM

This video says everything and her intent can't be disputed now from how I see it.

http://www.tmz.com/t...leid=1601303632

Genesis336

Genesis336

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 3:11 PM

Well, there you go.

NYCBadGirl

NYCBadGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 3:47 PM

Folks, just FYI... that "statement from the writers" is ENTIRELY a spoof. The website is a joke site. The next page is an article about Mary Hart (who announced that Angelina gave birth to twin girls last week when she didn't) giving birth to twins. The Grey's writers released NO statement. They didn't stoop to her level.

kikidee

kikidee

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 4:05 PM

Honesty? Integrity? More like passive aggressive diva nonsense. It would have been integrity if she had said she wasn't submitting her name because she felt she could have done better as an actress, and that her performance wasn't worthy of the academy. I would have been dead impressed if she had done that.
But she didn't say that.
She blamed the writers for not giving her material that she liked, and that's why she didn't give an emmy worthy performance. Whatever, better actors have done more with less. She just proved that she's NOT worthy of an emmy because a truly great actor does their absolute best with what they have. They don't sit in a corner and pouting and taking pot shots. They definitely don't try to position themselves as a hero, when in reality just a spoiled child placing blame.

BNScrubNurse

BNScrubNurse

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 4:25 PM

The hand that feeds Mrs. Heigl must be mighty tasty, after all she does keep biting it.

The fact that she just assumes that she's going to win an Emmy, even if her character is crap and she wants to give others a chance to win since they had better material is utterly ridiculous. IMHO, the only reason that she won an Emmy last year had everything to do with Hollywood Politics and nothing to do with her so-called 'acting abilities'.

Mrs. Heigl, I have some advice for you. "To be really honest right now, you really just need not to speak in public."

lurkylurkerson

lurkylurkerson

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 5:27 PM

This video says everything and her intent can't be disputed now from how I see it.

Agreed. I know how words in print can be twisted and often don't come out the way the speaker intended, but there's no excuse for that crap. If she really wanted to be 'gracious' and preserve the integrity of the emmys (*snort*), a simple "I just don't feel like this was my strongest season" would do. Yeah, the writing’s gone down, I think many of us agree with her on that. BUT Grey’s put her back on the map – this is the girl who couldn’t even get a lead role in a Lifetime MOW before the show. It’s not that she’s short on screentime, but EP, JC, CW, SO, ED (who has surprised me the most) etc. have all taken the material and given some kickass performances this season. So she just needs to not speak in public. Period. Because eventually, her words will come back to haunt her.

Mozzy55

Mozzy55

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 5:34 PM

We don't know all the details. Maybe she was being pressured into submitting an entry, and just felt there wasn't anything worthy to submit. I mean, really, there was Gizzie (which Shonda admitted was pretty much a stunt), resuscitating a deer, and other lack luster lines.

I watched the video of her talking, and she didn't sound as snooty as the statement read. Probably most of the other actors would agree this was a lackluster season. But when Katie speaks out loud everyone jumps on her. I'm glad what she said what she said.

cnkerins

cnkerins

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 6:21 PM

The fact that she just assumes that she's going to win an Emmy, even if her character is crap and she wants to give others a chance to win since they had better material is utterly ridiculous. IMHO, the only reason that she won an Emmy last year had everything to do with Hollywood Politics and nothing to do with her so-called 'acting abilities'.

ITA I think her sole agenda was to avoid the embarrassment of not receiving a nomination this year. She will have to attend because she is automatically a presenter and I hope she does a better job of presenting then she did of accepting last year. Yes, public speaking is certainly not her forte as she proved at the Oscars this year. Why she mouths off to slimy paps like TMZ is hard to comprehend, but I guess if you're a media whore thats what you do.

ETA:

Grey's' insider calls Heigl's Emmy comments 'an ungrateful slap'

Perhaps she might be well advised to read this blog entry and the comments Here

Edited by cnkerins, Jun 12, 2008 @ 5:38 PM.

DKGirl

DKGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 8:55 PM

Typical Heigl... she will never learn.

I agree with some of you. I don't think she wanted to embarrass the writers. I think Katherine said that to cover up the fact that she didn't want to face the possibility of not being nominated or not winning. It is easier to act like the "better" person by taking herself out of the competition than facing the music (not winning but even maybe not getting a nomination). She acts like she is doing a huge favor to the other nominees when in fact she isn't. I really don't see how Heigl could have gotten a nomination this year or even a win. I get that last year she was the big IT girl with Knocked Up, the whole Denny mess from season 2 of GA, speaking her mind about IW and standing up for T.R. but what has she done this year beside saving an animal on Grey's Anatomy and getting married and putting down her first big movie? I think the girl should just NOT TALK. I know she wants out of her contract but seriously writers, don't fight her on this one... Let her go if this is what she really wants. It is not like Izzie is the entire show. It will do the show a HUGE favor because of all the embarrassment she brings to it with her comments. I will miss Izzie and Alex but I am sure I can survive.

Just Plain Me

Just Plain Me

Video Archivist

• Interests:Big Love; Buffy the Vampire Slayer; The X-Files; Scrubs; Strangers With Candy; Freaks and Geeks; My So-Called Life; Veronica Mars; Pushing Daisies; Glee

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 9:15 PM

The fact that she just assumes that she's going to win an Emmy, even if her character is crap and she wants to give others a chance to win since they had better material is utterly ridiculous.

The Emmys are notorious for nominating the same shows and performers, year after year, whether or not they consistently warrant nominations. The Academy itself recognized this flaw, and altered the nomination process several years ago in a not-so-successful attempt to rectify this. Perhaps KH anticipated another win, perhaps she didn't; I don't have access to her thoughts unless she states them publicly. What her statement does acknowledge is that as one of the most recent award recipients, history dictates a consecutive nomination is a real possibility whether or not the material she submits warrants it. She’s hardly alone in this acknowledgement; many Emmy prognosticators listed her as a potential nominee too, not necessarily because they believed her work warranted a nom or win, but because this is how the system traditionally works. In KH's current position, preempting a potential nomination doesn't indicate pretension to me; it indicates recognition of the flaws in the nomination process. Had KH been nominated she would have received votes, not necessarily enough to win again but votes nonetheless, and now those votes will go to a more deserving nominee.

From the EW article:

[The GA insider said] “The show bent over backwards to accommodate her film schedule, and then she criticizes the show for lack of material?"

IIRC, filming for The Ugly Truth began in the latter half of April. Unless the insider is referring to a project I am unaware of, KH had no filming schedule for the show to accommodate from late July-November, when 11 of S4's 17 episodes were penned and shot. Additionally, at least one or two post-strike episodes were filmed before late-April. It wasn't even necessary for them to accommodate her promotion schedule for 27 Dresses, because it was released during the WGA‘s strike. I don't doubt the producers bent over backwards to accommodate her film schedule, but with 2/3 of the season in the can before it was necessary, it isn't really an applicable counter to KH's criticism.

Gibraltariana

Gibraltariana

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 9:38 PM

I don't doubt the producers bent over backwards to accommodate her film schedule, but with 2/3 of the season in the can before it was necessary, it isn't really an applicable counter to KH's criticism.

In a way it is because she is under contract to Grey's. They could have told her it was unworkable and forced her out of the movie. They didn't have to do that for her, but they did.

Edited by Gibraltariana, Jun 12, 2008 @ 9:39 PM.

Ayo

Ayo

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 10:00 PM

GA did have to accommodate her filming schedule.

http://wweek.com/editorial/3415/10402/

STRIKE OUT: The end of the writer’s strike means everybody is back in show business, right? Not PDX, it turns out. The Ugly Truth, starring TV/movie actress Katherine Heigl (Knocked Up,) as a “romantically challenged morning-show producer,” and man-tastic Gerard Butler (300), was scheduled to start shooting in Portland in April. That was, until the strike ended. Now that Heigl’s returned to her role as “Izzie Stevens” on Grey’s Anatomy, Lakeshore Entertainment (which shot both Untraceable and Feast of Love in PDX) was forced to move locales for the flick closer to her . “It’s a timing thing,” says Thomas Beatty, assistant to Lakeshore head of production Richard Wright.Thanks a lot, writers.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 10:17 PM

Personally I find this whole thing really kind of amusing. I have never been much of a Katherine Heigl fan, personally I think she is super overrated. But I do think it is funny that she is saying what a lot of viewers have probably been thinking. Plus for all we know she has been telling the writers all season that her character is getting crap and they did nothing to change it so maybe this is her final straw.

Plus like others have said she probably already realizes that who gets the awards has nothing to do with best performance anyways. I mean wasn't it last year when she won that she said even her mom thought she had no chance of winning. I figured that was kind of a subtle comment on the value of the award.

NYCBadGirl

NYCBadGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 10:30 PM

She had a lot more to do that some actors on the show. Chyler and Eric can be dismissed, as they are not original characters, but Sandra Oh was completely wasted this year. Heigl had more meat than Oh did.

McGuilty

McGuilty

Fanatic

Posted Jun 12, 2008 @ 10:42 PM

If anyone has the right to be pissed off it's PD. He's the lead on the show for crying out loud and I don't see him bitching out the writers the way KH did. Yes, he admitted the writing was not as good as S1 or S2 and that things probably got side tracked due to other projects (PrP) and that their creative juices were drying up but never did it come off as well, the storylines sucked and that's why I'm not running for the Emmy. Jeez, learn some manners because speaking. No one wants to hear bashing and trashing from a whinny ungrateful person who only got to where she is and all her movie deals and press coverage from the show. She needs to stay mute and let her pubulist do the talking.

Edited by McGuilty, Jun 12, 2008 @ 10:43 PM.

Just Plain Me

Just Plain Me

Video Archivist

• Interests:Big Love; Buffy the Vampire Slayer; The X-Files; Scrubs; Strangers With Candy; Freaks and Geeks; My So-Called Life; Veronica Mars; Pushing Daisies; Glee

Posted Jun 13, 2008 @ 1:54 AM

GA did have to accommodate her filming schedule.

My bad for being unclear. My point wasn't that GA didn't accomodate her filming schedule, but that the film wasn't being shot while the majority of GA's season was produced. The insider implied the reason KH lacked material last season was because of her film schedule, but if filming on The Ugly Truth didn't begin until sometime in April, that can only apply to the last 2 or 3 episodes, right? It definitely doesn't apply to the 11 episodes produced prior to the strike.

Heigl had more meat than Oh did.

Venison, specifically.

Edited by Just Plain Me, Jun 13, 2008 @ 1:57 AM.

Featherhat

Featherhat

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2008 @ 3:25 AM

On the one hand she is saying what a lot of fans are saying and no she probably wasn't worthy of an Emmy this season but this is a publicity stunt pure and simple and leaves a bad taste in my mouth. She could have done this quietly or taken responsibility herself. This is just a big fuck you to the hand that feeds her and to get people talking about her.

The writing on Grey's sucked a lot of the time last year too and I didn't see her withdrawing her name then. She's been at the forfront of the majority of the "meaty" arcs from mid Season 2 onwards, which is more than a lot of deserving actors on this show got.

Likewise with Knocked Up, if you hate the way the character was written, then don't take the part.

Both PD and EP can come out and pretty much imply they hate what's going on with their characters and they want change but it rarely comes off so ungrateful entitled.

And KH you are a current IT girl but all it takes is a bad reputation and a not so hit film and you'll find there are dozens of starlets waiting to take your place.

But maybe the producers are thinking "hey people are talking Grey's again" and it provides the perfect launching pad for a late summer "you hated last year too? Next season's gonna be awsome!!!!!" hype up.

Edited by Featherhat, Jun 13, 2008 @ 3:27 AM.

angelaudie

angelaudie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2008 @ 8:01 AM

The Emmys are notorious for nominating the same shows and performers, year after year, whether or not they consistently warrant nominations. The Academy itself recognized this flaw, and altered the nomination process several years ago in a not-so-successful attempt to rectify this.

It is true that Emmys do nominate certain performers. It is also true that the Emmys are known for nominating people one year and completely skipping over them the next. Even the Emmys eventually move on from shows especially if the showrunner hasn't been a beloved fixture for years (i.e. David E. Kelly). For a few years, ER was a beloved Emmy fixture. It isn't now. It stopped getting nominate around the time the writing started going downhill. So, while yes it is possible that KH would have been nominated there is a very strong possibility she wouldn't have. Her character was just downright unlikable for most of the season, she isn't as hot as she was last year, and really there's been a backlash brewing against her for awhile.

But maybe the producers are thinking "hey people are talking Grey's again" and it provides the perfect launching pad for a late summer "you hated last year too? Next season's gonna be awsome!!!!!" hype up.

Actually, they probably want people to remember how great the finale was so they will return. They don't want anyone, especially one of their stars, to remind people that writing for most of the season was less than stellar.

Katherine has really shot herself in the foot this time. She has pissed off many writers with her comments. I was watching some program last night that was talking about this and one of the people stated that KH has developed a reputation of being a problematic actress due to the fact she seems bash all projects she's a part of. Getting a reputation of being problematic is what ends careers. Producers may very well decided that she's not worth the trouble due to this. They need writers. They don't need Katherine Heigl. Oh, and many producers are writers themselves. She may lose projects now because she's viewed as problematic and because they are pissed.

Ayo

Ayo

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2008 @ 8:18 AM

Katherine Heigl is like the character she plays, that is she seems to be made of Teflon. Nothing is going to happen to her. She has no filter, says idiotic things and is turning out to be a liability, but as long as her movies make money, that's all they care about. Plus it doesn't hurt that some consider her "hot." Imo, if that girl was unattractive? Half of the shit she says she wouldn't get away with, she wouldn't have the publicity to say them.

ETA--Dan Abrams weighs in:
MSNBC's Winners and Losers

Edited by Ayo, Jun 13, 2008 @ 8:16 AM.

baxsmom

baxsmom

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 13, 2008 @ 8:19 AM

Although I think what KH was tactless and she definitely has yet to learn how to win friends and influence people, I totally agree with her comments about the writing of her character. The writers definitely had Izzie all over the place the last two seasons; she was playing a mental patient/schizophrenic person-- not a medical resident.

Hey, any publicity is a good thing. KH knows it's when they stop writing about you is when you have to worry. On the other hand, who wants to work with a diva? Time will tell.

Bob War

Bob War

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2008 @ 8:44 AM

I think she knew she wasn't being condered for a nomination at all, from the Hollywood Insider article:

Heigl made the comments on June 12 after Gold Derby discovered the star's name was not on a list of Emmy contenders distributed by the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. The omission was especially bizarre considering that Heigl won last year’s award for best supporting actress in a drama.

This is from a comment on the Insider page, that says it all for me, too, emphasis mine:

Paige:
Actors who are talented rise above the material they are given. Actors who are imbued with professionalism demonstrate graciousness and gratitude for the career-making opportunities they are given. People who have any sense of decency don't routinely badmouth the people who've given them said opportunities. Heigl is many things, but she is not talented, professional, or decent in any sense of the word. This is not an example of her being "honest," this is her attempt to get out of her contract while also milking this situation for all of the publicity it's worth. In so doing, she is proving once again to be nothing more than a rude, self-centered, ego-maniac who has managed to simultaneously insult not only GA's writers (whose work led to her getting the Emmy, in the first place), but also everyone involved in the Emmy process, as well as her peers/colleagues.

quietone

quietone

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2008 @ 9:18 AM

Ken Levine reacts to KH comments

DKGirl

DKGirl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2008 @ 9:32 AM

Katherine should learn from Shannen Doherty. Yes Shannen was a party girl (not the case ofr Katherine) but she was also making trouble on the set and she did speak out against 90210 the show that made her famous. I think that made the character of Brenda suffer. Season 4 of 90210 was horrible for the character of Brenda. The difference between Katherine and Shannen is that a lot of people still loved Brenda unlike Izzie. If Katherine thinks that speaking out like that about the writers of the show that made her famous will help her, she is living in her own little bubble. I think it will only make things worst for her on the show. The cast and writers will look at her and they won't respect her. All I can think about now is that IW must be laughing watching Katherine sink lower and lower.

I don't know why people are surprised. She did the same thing with Roswell. After that she got her chance to do something as an actress when Shonda gave her the part of Izzie but she blew it again. People will always remember Grey's Anatomy but people will always forget about Katherine really quickly once she ileaves the show and I think it is going to happen sooner than she thinks.

NYCBadGirl

NYCBadGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 13, 2008 @ 9:36 AM

Levine has a point:

3) Her integrity as an artist prevents her from performing anything she feels is below her very high standards. After all, this is a thespian who has appeared in BRIDE OF CHUCKY, VEGAS DICK, BUG BUSTERS, and of course UNDER SIEGE 2.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens when filming resumes. They go back to work Thursday.

Edited by NYCBadGirl, Jun 13, 2008 @ 9:38 AM.