ACTOR: Katherine Heigl

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

5381 replies to this topic

smoky

smoky

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 30, 2006 @ 2:06 PM

Has anyone seen her in any of her earlier work? Roswell? Hallmark t.v. movies? Films like The Ringer, 100 Girls, Bride of Chucky?

themightylaur

themightylaur

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2006 @ 2:17 PM

I will always remember her from "My Father the Hero", a movie I watched at my tenth birthday sleepover party.

whatthedeuce

whatthedeuce

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2006 @ 8:25 PM

I will love her forever because of Wish Upon a Star, which I used to watch on Disney Channel all the time. I adore that movie, and anyone involved in it has my eternal love. I also remember KH from My Father The Hero, like themightylaur. My sisters and I still say, "So sorry, Daddy! So sorry!" or whatever the fuck it was that KH's character kept repeating when her father found out about her scheme.

EvilSpawn

EvilSpawn

Posted Jan 30, 2006 @ 8:59 PM

All I know is that she can play the watery eyes/crying scenes better than anyone I have seen. She was excellent in last night's ep.

The first time I saw KH was in My Father the Hero as well. It was a cute movie, but there were definitely some strange parts.

CrazyGorilla

CrazyGorilla

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 31, 2006 @ 11:18 AM

Bride of Chucky?

I love Katherine Heigl, she brings so much character to Izzie. And it looks like she loves playing it too, which is always a plus.

dealan

dealan

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2006 @ 12:29 AM

I'm still convinced that GA!Izzie is just Roswell!Isabel all grown up, especially with the Christmas Nazi rehash. She has a thing for characters named Isabel, I think. Isn't this the 3rd Isabel she's played?

spentcigarette

spentcigarette

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2006 @ 3:32 PM

Heigl's grown to be a pretty good actor, but I absolutely loathed her in the Roswell days. I didn't think she could act for shit back then, and even rewatching my DVDs today I still can't stand Isabel and Heigl's portrayal of her. Definitely wasn't expecting her to impress me as much as she did with GA.

Edited because there is a difference between "to" and "too".

Edited by spentcigarette, Feb 2, 2006 @ 2:43 AM.

dreaming on

dreaming on

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2006 @ 5:20 PM

She reminds me of the Roswell Isabel,even now.

IMO,her acting range was and still is pissed off,weepy or goofy.I never get a good feeling from her scenes,they always seem so forced.

Maybe Roswell tainted it for me.

smoky

smoky

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 2, 2006 @ 11:32 AM

I just saw Chucky's Bride. Those dolls were funny.

Edited by smoky, Feb 11, 2006 @ 6:33 PM.

Humbled

Humbled

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 7, 2006 @ 3:11 PM

I saw or read somewhere that KH is dating singer Josh Kelly, who I enjoy very much (I've got his 2 CDs in my car right now). Can anyone confirm this? If it's true, they would seem to make a cute couple.

BlueCoffee

BlueCoffee

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 7, 2006 @ 3:49 PM

Last I read they were still dating. They met when filming his video for "Only You". (Humbled, I love his music too!)

shutupemma

shutupemma

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 7, 2006 @ 11:28 PM

I saw or read somewhere that KH is dating singer Josh Kelley

SHUT. UP. That's so cute.

I thought I was the only person who knew who he was.

Babyitsu

Babyitsu

Posted Feb 16, 2006 @ 10:35 AM

Has any of you gone to Josh Kelley's concert and spotted Katherine ?

Anyway here some scoop by TR Knight about working with Katherine.

AP: What's your favorite George moment?

Knight: I like the relationships that he has. I really like the relationship he has with Izzie. I think they have a really interesting kind of dynamic. It's just a blast working with Katie Heigl. The relationship that's developing with him and Bailey I think is very interesting. So I tend to look at it that way, instead of specific moments.

TR Knight Talks Grey's Anatomy... (Associated Press)

http://www.mercuryne...ip/13880152.htm

Isn't it cute. They's had become closed friend thru working together, it's good to know that Katherine had becomes good friends with her co-stars. Recently she hang a lot with Kate Walsh. I was make to understand by reading Majandra and Brendan Fehr (her Roswell co-stars) fans's post that Katherine/Majandra/Brendan still hang-out together when there are no conflicting working schedule. How nice.

Edited by Babyitsu, Feb 16, 2006 @ 10:35 AM.

spentcigarette

spentcigarette

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2006 @ 2:50 AM

I was make to understand by reading Majandra and Brendan Fehr (her Roswell co-stars) fans's post that Katherine/Majandra/Brendan still hang-out together when there are no conflicting working schedule. How nice.

That is nice to hear, especially since when the show was airing there were so many rumors that the cast didn't get along. Katie/Jason vs. Majandra/Brendan, Jason vs. Shirri, Shirri vs. Brendan, blah blah blah.

Edited by spentcigarette, Mar 10, 2006 @ 5:08 PM.

sarah1225

sarah1225

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 8:23 PM

I really think KH is the weak link in the cast. I think she tries to hard to act and it comes off very..unrealistic. I know everyone loved the line about Alex "literally. taking off. [his] pants" but all her overacting hand motions turned me off it completely. Same with her "BECAUSE THATS WHAT JESUS! WOULD FREAKING DO!" seemed like she was trying to hard to sell it. This week with threatening to kick Cristina's ass just pushed me over the edge. I know alot of issues are more targetted at Izzie's character, but I find KH's acting to be weak. Tries to hard and I don't buy it anymore.

smoothcriminal

smoothcriminal

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 8:46 PM

I absolutely adore Katherine...just hate her character. Quite the opposite of how I feel about Ellen Pompeo.

Edited by smoothcriminal, Mar 20, 2006 @ 8:55 PM.

Lambot

Lambot

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 9:19 PM

I think KH is awesome. She really shines when Izzie is sad.

shoefiend

shoefiend

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 9:24 PM

I really think KH is the weak link in the cast. I think she tries to hard to act and it comes off very..unrealistic. I know everyone loved the line about Alex "literally. taking off. [his] pants" but all her overacting hand motions turned me off it completely. Same with her "BECAUSE THATS WHAT JESUS! WOULD FREAKING DO!" seemed like she was trying to hard to sell it. This week with threatening to kick Cristina's ass just pushed me over the edge. I know alot of issues are more targetted at Izzie's character, but I find KH's acting to be weak. Tries to hard and I don't buy it anymore.

Agreed!

I loathe Isabitch. And I think KH is a godawful actress and totally cheesy, with awful fashion sense.

Edited by shoefiend, Mar 20, 2006 @ 9:25 PM.

sarah1225

sarah1225

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2006 @ 10:12 PM

dreaming on said this in this week's episode thread and it captured what I was trying to get at, so I wanted to post it here. But again, credit where credit's due, this is all dreaming on.

The main problem I have with KH is that her acting is obvious. She seems to always magnify her emotions and actions and it is unnatural. She must believe more is always better....You never get the real feel of Izzy cause KH is always TRYING to make it a performance. KH doesn't hold a candle to the other actresses...

alongside

alongside

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 5:25 AM

Whilst im not the biggest Izzy fan, i absolutely ADORE KH. I recently bought the Greys season 1 DVD's, and her commentary just had me laughing so hard. I love how she doesnt seem to take herself so seriously. I think shes hilarious, no matter what i think of her acting skills (which i dont think are horrible. Not fantastic, but not horrible). And the fact that she seems a really funny and easy going person makes me like Izzy a little better. Not a lot, but a little. Kind of. Sort of. Not really.

But i still adore KH!

chiyochan

chiyochan

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 7:02 AM

I too think she's the weakest in the cast, but by no mean does that make her Paris Hilton bad in terms of acting. She's no Meryl Streep, but certainly not the worst I've ever seen. It just so happens that this show has its share of good to great actors.

She isn't so good at subtlety when it comes to acting or expressions. She's too in your face regarding her happiness, sadness, love, etc. She should take it down a few notches.

tribema

tribema

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2006 @ 1:16 PM

I didn't really have much time for her during Season 1 but she's definitely growing on me lately. I thought she just nailed that last episode brilliantly; she's no Sandra Oh to be sure, but she's natural and warm and those traits can compensate.

I recently bought the Greys season 1 DVD's, and her commentary just had me laughing so hard. I love how she doesnt seem to take herself so seriously.

Ha, me too. I enjoyed her self-deprecation a lot; endearing.

Aoedele

Aoedele

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 8:10 AM

Its that self-depreciation I find dishonest about Heigl. Like she has to always come off as smart, funny, pretty, but so humble about it. Its phony.

Magellic

Magellic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 9:53 AM

Aw. She's beautiful and self-deprecating. My best friend in the world is exactly (and honestly) like that. I love people like this. I can't imagine what it must be like to be so physically attractive and remain somewhat down-to-earth -- especially in Hollywood where people are constantly stroking your ego. I'm glad she doesn't take herself too seriously. A lovely, curvaceous girl like KH would come across as a raging stuck up bitch if she bought into her hype.

Acting-wise, I agree that I sometimes think she lacks a necessary subtlety. I wonder if that's a flaw in her acting skills or if it's the super-judgmental side of Izzie. I wish she would tone that down a bit, but perhaps she will as she gains more experience or as Izzie matures. Izzie has a lot of growing to do. She needs to learn acceptance and I'm looking forward to this growth.

That said, KH has the tears down pat (and I envy a good crier!). She was wonderful in the scene where she was pretending to be the farmer in order to help Alex study for his exam. I felt an ache in my chest for her in that moment, and I tend to be towards the cold, unfeeling side. Very well done.

jstar

jstar

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 1:22 PM

I think KH has one of the most consistently difficult roles on GA. Izzie is so all over the place, she's harsh and tough and raw and vulnerable, and snotty but dorky. When you think about it, Cristina is mainly cold and harsh, George is mainly dorky and fumbling and Meredith is mainly very downbeat...Izzie is the only one who changes constantly. I think KH demonstrated a great range.

Edited by jstar, Mar 26, 2006 @ 1:22 PM.

shoefiend

shoefiend

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 5:51 PM

I think KH has one of the most consistently difficult roles on GA. Izzie is so all over the place, she's harsh and tough and raw and vulnerable, and snotty but dorky. When you think about it, Cristina is mainly cold and harsh, George is mainly dorky and fumbling and Meredith is mainly very downbeat...Izzie is the only one who changes constantly. I think KH demonstrated a great range.

I could not disagree more. I think she has no range at all. Her tears always seem fake, forced and overdone to me. And I don't see where she changes. She is either making some bithcy remark or using those crocodile tears. She cannot portray subtelty at all. She has two expressions - bitchy and fake crying.

I also don't think her role is especially difficult. She plays a bitchy high schooler in the body of an adult. How hard is that?

Its that self-depreciation I find dishonest about Heigl. Like she has to always come off as smart, funny, pretty, but so humble about it. Its phony.

YES, totally! It's the Teri Hatcher syndrome. Pretending to be self deprecating to get people to like her. Vomit.

Edited by shoefiend, Mar 26, 2006 @ 5:55 PM.

Lambot

Lambot

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 6:55 PM

One of the things that has always made me love Izzie is how multi-faceted she is compared to the other characters. She can be tough and vulnerable. Most of the other characters have sort of become caricatures of themselves. Meredith is mopeyface sad girl, George is childish and unsure, Cristina is harsh with a deeply hidden heart of gold, etc. Izzie, on the other hand, seems to have layers. I attribute a lot of it to KH's acting.

Edited by Lambot, Mar 26, 2006 @ 6:55 PM.

Aoedele

Aoedele

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 7:14 PM

Izzie is multi-faceted because the writers don't seem to know what the heck to do with her. Is she a heartless bitch(which I think she is), is she a misunderstood ex model wanna be doctor, or is a serious doctor? Heigl plays her like a schizophrenic bi-polar.

dreaming on

dreaming on

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 7:32 PM

I think KH has one of the most consistently difficult roles on GA. Izzie is so all over the place, she's harsh and tough and raw and vulnerable, and snotty but dorky.

I attribute the fact that Izzy is so inconsistent to KH bad acting. To me, her acting makes the Izzy character seem so unrealistic. I think KH is trying so hard to make her scenes as good as everyone elses that she rings false.

shoefiend

shoefiend

Posted Mar 26, 2006 @ 7:44 PM

I attribute the fact that Izzy is so inconsistent to KH bad acting. To me, her acting makes the Izzy character seem so unrealistic. I think KH is trying so hard to make her scenes as good as everyone elses that she rings false.

Agreed. Although I do think she is a caricature, more or less - a self-righteous, judgmental, immature bitch played by a phony, overly melodramatic actress.