Disney Channel Original Movies

• Please log in to reply

2495 replies to this topic

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Jan 25, 2006 @ 4:39 PM

I did a search for this and nothing came up, so my apologies if there is already a topic on this.

Anyway. These movies are a complete guilty pleasure--some of them, anyway (the upcoming one, Cowbelles, looks like unmitigated crap). I'm kinda bitter that I missed High School Musical.

If anybody *did* catch HSM, I was wondering about the following:

1. Was it just something about the previews, or did anyone else's gaydar start pinging regarding Sharpay's brother (Ryan?)...? Because I tend to think that I have absolutely no gaydar and it went off like crazy every time DC played the music video featuring the two siblings ("What I've Been Looking For").

2. Since I missed the movie, I can only go by what I saw in the music video for "What I've Been Looking For." But I caught this weird incestuous vibe with Sharpay and Ryan (which seems strangely paradoxical considering the supposed gayness of the latter). Seems the song is more of what you'd sing with your boyfriend/girlfriend. Plus, Sharpay mentions in the previews that she and her brother have starred in all the drama productions and if one takes that to mean the main parts, that would translate to leading lady and leading man. Who are probably love interests.

Or this could all just be a product of my sick and twisted mind.

High School Musical was quite possibly the greatest thing ever. And, yes, Ryan was totally gay. There was one scene where he was wearing a lime green sparkly sequined newsboy hat. And he wore newsboy hats in every scene.

The relationship betwee Sharpay and Ryan was very weird. I noticed it immediately when I heard they were siblings and also starred in every musical. Typically the leads in musicals are romantic partners.

I know the soundtrack to HSM is out, maybe they'll release it on dvd. I hope to god they do, I will wear that dvd out.

Great, now I need to see this more than ever.

Edited Once Again to Add:

For anybody who watched the DCO movies Smart House and Brink!, I thought that this link might be of some random interest. There's a link to Katie's myspace in the comments section, as well.

Edited by tip and fall, Jan 25, 2006 @ 5:06 PM.

StuckeyGilmore

StuckeyGilmore

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2006 @ 4:51 PM

High School Musical was quite possibly the greatest thing ever. And, yes, Ryan was totally gay. There was one scene where he was wearing a lime green sparkly sequined newsboy hat. And he wore newsboy hats in every scene.

The relationship betwee Sharpay and Ryan was very weird. I noticed it immediately when I heard they were siblings and also starred in every musical. Typically the leads in musicals are romantic partners.

I know the soundtrack to HSM is out, maybe they'll release it on dvd. I hope to god they do, I will wear that dvd out.

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2006 @ 8:54 PM

Not that I want to admit I watched it, but I thought the relationship between Sharpay and Ryan was squicky too. I mean, he was obviously not into girls, but were they going to star opposite each other in the musical? Were they going to play each other's love interests?

Oh and who is named after a dog?

chic_girl85

chic_girl85

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2006 @ 9:02 PM

I am in love with High School Musical! I, too, noticed the weird incestuous relationship with Sharpay (and really, who names their kid that?????????) and Boytoy Brother. It was creepy! Also, I think I have to go buy the cd just for the last song, because I had it stuck in my head for two days. I am such a dork...

Edited because I can't type.

Edited by chic_girl85, Jan 25, 2006 @ 9:05 PM.

Cet

Cet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 25, 2006 @ 10:58 PM

I, too, noticed the weird incestuous relationship with Sharpay (and really, who names their kid that?????????)

I've got a theory:

Sharpay = sounds like Sharpie = what the parents must have been sniffing

How else do you explain it?

Edited by Cet, Jan 26, 2006 @ 11:13 AM.

ModelClay

ModelClay

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 1:54 AM

I only caught the first hour before I switched over to Lost, but yeah, High School Musical was pretty much the most awesome guilty pleasure movie ever. I totally got the incest vibe between Poodle and her gay brother. I think there was even a line where someone said, "If she could, she'd play both Romeo AND Juliet and spare her brother the time," which, yeah, ew.

To be honest, I thought the kid who played Troy was kinda fug, but at least he was nice. His friend who liked to cook cracked me up. I also don't imagine the girl who played Poodle is a very good singer. You could practically hear the computers working to make her sound better.

5 of the Top 10 Downloads on iTunes are from the movie, which is pretty crazy. "Breaking Free" has been number 1 for a few days now. The album has been number 1 for a while, too. I will neither confess nor deny buying any of the songs. Ahem.

MusexMoirai

MusexMoirai

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 1:55 AM

Oh and who is named after a dog?

Sharpay, because her name phonetically resembles Shar Pei, a breed of dog.

Slade347

Slade347

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 1:57 AM

Even my straight dude totally cluess gaydar was set off by Ryan, and yes the incestuous vibe is very much there between him and his sister. Odd for any old regular teen movie, downright stunning for a Disney channel original. Anyway, I did like this movie in its own little way. The music was okay, but not terrible, which was a worry of mine. The leads were very appealing, especially that girl, Vanessa WhatsHerFace. BTW- according to the schedule I saw, HSM was on last night and is set to air again next Thursday.

ghettofabman

ghettofabman

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 2:39 AM

I am sorry, but I just couldn't get into High School Musical because I can't bear looking at Ashley Tisdale's strokeface and her horrible acting. Besides, I am not a fan of pure sing-along type movies, with the exception of The Cheetah Girls. Now that was my movie. Sabrina Bryan was my favorite, her, Raven, and Lynn Whitfield were the best things about the movie.

Edited by ghettofabman, Jan 26, 2006 @ 2:40 AM.

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 12:32 PM

Uh, I hated Cheetah Girls. I would rather watch High School Musical again even if I didn't love it either. I watched HSM more because it was on and they have been hyping it for the last century or so on DC.

I liked the dancing and choregraphy more than the songs and singing. I too thought most of the voices were just eh, and over produced within an inch of their lives. I'd like to see those kids "perform" the songs without the machines trying to pass them off as the next Hilary Duff.

I don't love Ashley Tisdale, but I think she is an okay actor. Singer not so much.

TheIllmaticNas

TheIllmaticNas

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 1:45 PM

Interesting thread here.

I don't watch a lot of DCOMs, and I haven't watched High School Musical yet, but the last one I did watch was Life is Ruff. I watched because I'm a huge fan of Kyle Massey, and the movie made me a fan of Kay Panabaker.

Some other favorites are The Color of Friendship(IMO the best DCOM ever made,) The Cheetah Girls(I love Raven,) Full Court Miracle(watched for Cassie Steele,) Johnny Tsunami (this rocked,) Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century(this was cool, the two sequels sucked out loud, however.)

clarkins

clarkins

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 2:05 PM

My daughter really liked the "Cadet Kelly" movie.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 2:14 PM

My daughter really liked the "Cadet Kelly" movie.

Nooooooooo...! Anything that Hilary Duff touches is automatically evil; it's, like, Newton's Fiftieth Law.

The Color of Friendship actually won an Emmy, if I'm not mistaken. I remember being surprised because DCO movies don't really strike me as being Emmy-material.

The Cheetah Girls got on my nerves because Raven's acting tics (so completely over the top) bug--I mean, she seems like a nice girl in real life and I certainly don't think she's the antichrist a la the Duffster--and the outrageous cheetah-spotted outfits didn't win them any points.

My favorite DCOMs were The Luck of the Irish (er...I thought Ryan Merriman was cute?), Johnny Tsunami, and the first Zenon movie. I also thought liked Rip Girls when it first came out, but not so much anymore.

DC needs to start releasing these movies on DVD!

chic_girl85

chic_girl85

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 2:30 PM

Yep, The Color of Friendship did win an Emmy. Deserved it, in my opinion, it was good without actually being too After School Special like the stuff it was up against.

I liked the Cheetah Girls as well, however Raven bugs the crap out of me. She's in an upcoming Lifetime Movie that I'm actually interested in watching but I don't know if I want to, just because of her. She has this loud acting thing that is supposed to be her emoting? Yelling? I'm not actually sure, but girl bugs.

The Luck of the Irish is one of my faves too, tip and fall! Ryan is too cute.

I agree on Johnny Tsunami (whatever happened to the kid in there who played his friend? He was in a show on Disney as well, about an actor who played an Alias like character, but more teen oriented? I used to think he was the hottest guy... I really need help!) and the first Zenon. Seetus Lapeetus! (yeah, I can't spell that...)

TheIllmaticNas

TheIllmaticNas

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 2:39 PM

I agree on Johnny Tsunami (whatever happened to the kid in there who played his friend? He was in a show on Disney as well, about an actor who played an Alias like character, but more teen oriented? I used to think he was the hottest guy... I really need help!)

That would be "The Famous Jett Jackson" and the actor's name is Lee Thompson Young. I actually liked that show up until the second season or so. Lee Thompson Young is still around actually, he's in a new show called "South Beach" on UPN.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 2:44 PM

I agree on Johnny Tsunami (whatever happened to the kid in there who played his friend? He was in a show on Disney as well, about an actor who played an Alias like character, but more teen oriented? I used to think he was the hottest guy... I really need help!) and the first Zenon. Seetus Lapeetus! (yeah, I can't spell that...)

The Famous Jett Jackson! Lee Thompson Young actually goes to my school; we've crossed paths a few times since we used to live in the same building. Supposedly he's a huge jerk in real life (although you can take that with a grain of salt, since I got it from someone who can be awfully...biased).

I never actually saw The Color of Friendship, so I can't say whether or not that movie is Emmy-worthy...it just seems that DCOMs in general tend to be on the low-quality-I-would-so-not-admit-liking-this-to-my-friends side.

chic_girl85

chic_girl85

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 2:51 PM

Good to know that Lee Thompson Young is still around. Sad if he is a jerk in real life. Gotta hate it when that happens! tip and fall, that is so awesome that you go to the same school as him! College, I'm assuming, since you have living spaces?

The Color of Friendship was actually fairly good and way better than a DCOM. It was more like a Lifetime Movie quality.

Has anyone seen the new ads for the new movie this month? I don't know what it is and was wondering if it was the one I saw for a movie called Hannah Montana which looks incredibly stupid, but then again it was all of a 15 second clip.

TheIllmaticNas

TheIllmaticNas

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 2:52 PM

I never actually saw The Color of Friendship, so I can't say whether or not that movie is Emmy-worthy...it just seems that DCOMs in general tend to be on the low-quality-I-would-so-not-admit-liking-this-to-my-friends side.

It's definitely a few steps above the average DCOM, in terms of everything. Acting, writing, direction, everything. I also agree that it deserved the Emmy. Actually, I'm pretty sure you'll have a chance to see it next month, with it being Black History Month.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 3:19 PM

Good to know that Lee Thompson Young is still around. Sad if he is a jerk in real life. Gotta hate it when that happens! tip and fall, that is so awesome that you go to the same school as him! College, I'm assuming, since you have living spaces?

Yeah, USC (although I graduated in May, so not anymore!). I have my doubts as to whether or not he's really a jerk. My source actually does know him, but she can be quite vehement and, uh, nonsensical in her dislike of people. I got on her bad side afterwards and she went around telling people that I was evil and had no heart and that all of my friends were really just toadies and flunkies who sucked up to me. And that I wore a jacket all the time and carried my backpack everywhere. So, yeah. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But I digress.

The newest DCOM stars the Michalka sisters (one of them is Keely in Phil of the Future). Anybody tuning in for that one? Anyone?

*crickets chirping*

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 3:26 PM

Has anyone seen the new ads for the new movie this month? I don't know what it is and was wondering if it was the one I saw for a movie called Hannah Montana which looks incredibly stupid, but then again it was all of a 15 second clip

Unfortunately Hannah Montana is a new DC Original Series. All I know is it about some undercover pop star.

Cow Belles is the new DCom movie and it stars the Michalka sisters in some sort of Paris and Nicole "Simple Life" set-up. The commercial looked pretty horrid, but I'm also kind of against the whole Olsen twin type of movie experience where you must only act with your own sister.

I liked the earlier DCom's. I can't remember the names right now. I liked the Even Stevens movie. Johnny Tsunami, Original Zenon, Motocrossed, Brink. Didn't mind Right on Track and You Wish either.

Cheetah Girls just made me laugh unintentionally. When the dog fell down the hole and everybody gathered around and sang while the entire city of NY gathered to help rescue him...it was pretty funny.

However, HSM aside I think the movies are getting progressively worse.

TheIllmaticNas

TheIllmaticNas

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 3:30 PM

Yeah I liked Brink! and Right on Track too but I do agree that DCOMS are sliding down in quality. Most of my favorites are from the late 90s and early 2000s.

chic_girl85

chic_girl85

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 4:57 PM

Whoa, Hannah Montana is a tv series? Gah, they have to stop with the craptacular series.

I finally just saw the ad for Cowbelles and I have to say that it is a sad, sad world we live in when Paris Hilton is being taken for inspiration for a DCOM.

Tibby

Tibby

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 5:06 PM

One of my favorite DCOM was the one from a few years ago, it starred Shia LaBeouf but I am totally blanking on the title right now. He was mentally handicapped and had a twin sister who videotaped everything.

I also liked Pixel Perfect.

I was pleasantly surprised with High School Musical, not the best but definitely much better than any other recent DCOMs.

Alyna Kuirt

Alyna Kuirt

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 5:09 PM

One of my favorite DCOM was the one from a few years ago, it starred Shia LaBeouf but I am totally blanking on the title right now. He was mentally handicapped and had a twin sister who videotaped everything.

God, I remember that one! Tru Story? Tru ..... *trails off* Tru Something, 'cause I remember her name was Tru and she made a video documentary. About him. I remember the part where she said into the camera (after she was angry with her mother) something to the effect of "If I'm ever a mom, I'm going to be the exact opposite of her." And she saw the video later -- in the background, her mother turns around, hurt.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 5:15 PM

Tru Confessions. I think it was based on a book.

Cet

Cet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 6:29 PM

I liked the earlier DCom's. I can't remember the names right now. I liked the Even Stevens movie. Johnny Tsunami, Original Zenon, Motocrossed...

I liked Motocrossed too! Mostly because it's really, really funny to make... inappropriate innuendos concerning the (male) mentor/love interest as he counsels "Andy." Especially during the lake scene. Yes, I'm a bit evil.

Cheetah Girls just made me laugh unintentionally. When the dog fell down the hole and everybody gathered around and sang while the entire city of NY gathered to help rescue him...it was pretty funny.

That scene was where Cheetah Girls lost me. Up until then, I was sort of bobbing along, "Yeah, this isn't half-bad, kinda catchy... Wait, all of New York just stopped for a frickin' Bichon Frise. Oh, and now they're applauding! How inspirational! ...Oh wait, I'm getting "inspiration" mixed up with "nausea" again."

Edited by Cet, Jan 26, 2006 @ 6:29 PM.

teknomage

teknomage

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 7:30 PM

I tried watching High School Musical. Didn't continue past the first few minutes. I turned it off in the middle of the first song, which... well I was surprised that the kids actually weren't bad, it made me wonder if this was one of those things that's set at the end before flashing back to the beginning. Still, not really my kind of music, and somehow it didn't seem like my kind of story, either. Even though there hadn't been enough time to get a real sense of the story or anything, I couldn't help feeling that way.

There are plenty of DCOMs I choose not to watch at all, and some I just never got around to yet, not worrying much because they all get played so much I know I'll get an infinite number of chances in the future. Most of the ones I do watch I think are at least tolerable, though. Some of them I rather like and some I don't so much.

I liked the Color of Friendship, Luck of the Irish, the Even Stevens Movie, Get a Clue, Jett Jackson: The Movie (way better than the series, and btw I read that Lee Thompson Young is going to play Cyborg- or the guy who will become Cyborg, I'm not sure- in an episode of Smallville), Pixel Perfect, Tower of Terror

Some that I thought were okay, but not really good (and some that I don't remember well), were the three Zenon movies, Phantom of the Megaplex, A Ring of Endless Light, Rip Girls, Tru Confessions, Don't Look Under the Bed, Now You See It... (I do like Alyson Michalka), Up Up and Away! (I like Olivia Burnette), You Wish!, Twitches

It's possible I'm forgetting some. Or maybe not. That sounds like alot... but I know there are plenty of others I haven't seen...

Beasta

Beasta

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 7:50 PM

High School Musical is probably my favorite DCOM thus far. The singers were talented; the songs were catchy; and the dancing was great. The biggest disappointments were that (1) for a musical, there weren't many songs at all, and (2) Zac Efron (who plays Troy, the lead male character) isn't actually singing at all. He's lip-synching to some guy named Andrew Seeley. Pssh.

Despite those flaws, I still enjoyed it, and I even downloaded the soundtrack off iTunes. I'll probably regret that when I find myself $10 short of buying something else, but right now I'm pretty glad that I did.

I too thought most of the voices were just eh, and over produced within an inch of their lives. I'd like to see those kids "perform" the songs without the machines trying to pass them off as the next Hilary Duff.

Ryan was the only character, IMHO, that could sing without the help of behind-the-scenes editing. The guy, Lucas Grabeel, is apparently into musical theatre, so I'd bet money he could hit all the high notes in a live performance if he had to.

Edited by Beasta, Jan 26, 2006 @ 7:58 PM.

Laval

Laval

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 8:16 PM

There are only 5 DCOM movies that I like.

The Color of Friendship: I wish that Disney would show this movie more often. I really enjoyed it.

Quints: I thought that girl in that movie was kind of cute. I also thought this movie was very entertaining. Disney Channel should of made a TV show out of this movie with the same characters.

Gotta Kick It Up: It was a lot of fun to watch this movie. Is this movie based on a true story?

Stuck In The Suburbs: Only because Danielle Panabaker was in it.

Life Is Ruff: I really like Kay Panabaker. She is very talented & very pretty. Kyle Massey was OK, too.

msrayrudd

msrayrudd

Fanatic

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 8:39 PM

Ryan was the only character, IMHO, that could sing without the help of behind-the-scenes editing. The guy, Lucas Grabeel, is apparently into musical theatre, so I'd bet money he could hit all the high notes in a live performance if he had to.

I never looked up his bio but he came off as a stage performer. I too think he was the most trained of the bunch and could probably pull of the singing live.

Zac Efron and the girls voices seemed more touched up, but now I come to find that it wasn't even really Zac Efron singing. Hmm, wonder why they didn't advertise that in the commercials? What DC is only capable of pimping out their females for pop career?

Other DComs people reminded me. I also liked Tru Confessions, Quints, Color of Friendship, Get a Clue and Gotta Kick it Up. I also thought Pixed Perfect had a pretty advance premise for a DCom.