Cash Cab

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

211 replies to this topic

laineylain

laineylain

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 3, 2006 @ 1:35 PM

Loved yesterday's contestant who was an older gentleman and was funny and excited about playing the game. He knew not only the answer (Mount Rushmore) to a question but also the sculptor (Borglum). I thought that was cool. The best part was that he went for the video bonus question, which other contestants very seldom do. I loved that he won $1600!

Missy173

Missy173

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 10:47 AM

Saw an episode the other night. Some woman with a blue cowl neck sweater and some sort of vest was on and she had some seriously nasty teeth. Hope she used some of her winnings for a case of Whitestrips. Had a hard time looking at her whenever she opened her mouth. Ick. Kept wondering how her hubby or significant other could muster up the courage to kiss her. Don't get to see this often but when I do I get a kick out of it. No huge bucks at stake but fun to watch.

Was this the woman who participated with her husband? And had a very smoker/raspy voice. Cause if so, her teeth truly were too much to look at. I grimaced every time she cackled and leaned in closer to the camera. It's truly unfortunate that she had no one who loved her enough to buy her a box of whitestrips.

Add me to those who really enjoy this show. If I had tivo I would love to see this after work.

I also find myself oddly attracted to the host. I think its a combination of him wit and voice.

Wajo298

Wajo298

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 7, 2006 @ 9:08 PM

Missy, if I recall she was with a man; whether it was her hubby, SO or just a friend I don't recall but her teeth were so nasty. I think she did have a rather raspy voice too and I think she was kind of loud and obnoxious if I remember. It's been a while since I've seen it and I haven't caught too many episodes lately so I haven't seen her in repeats.

If that were me, I'd be heading to the drugstore for whitestrips as soon as I got out of that cab !!!!

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 8, 2006 @ 12:15 AM

Ben has been a little more active in the new episodes. Honestly, the schtick can be a little corny -- he does wacky voices, and has been doing the "I'm sorry, but that is... CORRECT!" routine a lot -- but in the context of the show, where people are so thrilled/happy/nervous to even be in this situation, it doesn't seem to much matter. One corny thing he does, that I always laugh at even though I know I really shouldn't, is that before he reveals it's a game show, he does a "cabbie" accent (sometimes a strong Noo Yawk accent, or sometimes an Indian or Arabic accent.)

I too look for the Cab when I'm in Manhattan, and honestly, every time I get behind the wheel, I want to tell the person in the back that they're on the Cash Cab, a TV game show that takes place right here in this taxi. There's just something about this show that is just so sincere, unpretentious and fun.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2006 @ 4:50 PM

On the second one this afternoon two seriously fat, fugly people (a man and woman, presumably married or dating) got in the cab and OMG dumbest people on the damn planet, today:

Question #1 "What FCC registry limits the ability of telemarketers contact registered households?"
Answer: None, but he kept saying "don't ask, don't tell." Strike 1

Question #2: "What much maliagned hairdo is often described as business in the front, party in the back?"
Answer: Ponytail (after going through afro and "shag") Strike 2

Question #3: "In what specific type of poll do research firm canvas people right after they leave the voting booths?"
Answer: Gallop poll Strike 3

I hope they are both sterile.

Before that there was a young guy and his grandfather who did very well but somehow never got a red light challenge. I'm thinking they only get it if the cab is first at the red light, maybe.

Wajo298

Wajo298

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2006 @ 6:31 PM

Hi ThatPoshGirl:

I think I remember seeing that fugly couple before since the mullet question rings a bell. They were pretty stupid.

Regarding the Red Light Challenge. They have to be at the $200 mark before they can do the RLC.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Aug 15, 2006 @ 7:41 PM

Wajo, the man and his grandson were over $200 and at a red light but didn't get the challenge.

Wajo298

Wajo298

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 15, 2006 @ 8:33 PM

ThatPoshGirl:

That's really odd. I've seen it before when the cab has been behind a few other vehicles at the light so my understanding is that they don't have to be the first one there; they just had to be at $200 or more.

Here is what it says from the Cash Cab page at the Discovery Channel website:

If the contestant has won at least $200 and the cab hits a red light, a "Red Light Challenge" is offered, which is a single question with multiple part answers. The passenger has 30 seconds to get all answers (e.g., name all seven of Snow White’s dwarfs). If the contestant gets each part of the answer correct, they win $200; if time expires, they move on without receiving any strikes against them.

That is really strange. Wonder if maybe it was an early episode and they had a rule change at some point?

Still fun to watch when I can catch it; was easier to see it when it was on at 6 PM instead of 5 PM.

Gimme Stitches

Gimme Stitches

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2006 @ 10:44 AM

Just saw two people go for the double-or-nothing video bonus. They lost. Poor guy had no help at all from his lady friend. She absolutely looked baffled at every question posed.

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 24, 2006 @ 2:32 PM

Still fun to watch when I can catch it; was easier to see it when it was on at 6 PM instead of 5 PM.

I agree, I liked that slot better too; not that it matters much if you're taping it, but still.

It's funny when 3 or 4 people get in and you think "wow! with this many minds at work, they should clean up!", but then only one of them knows anything. I always wonder what discussions the winners have afterwards about splitting up the money. Even though it's not all that much money, if I were the one who was actually answering all the questions, I would feel like I deserved more than 33.3% or 25% of the money!

I think there does have to be some kind of further twist to qualifying for the Red Light Challenge, because otherwise, given NYC traffic, everyone who gets over $200 would be almost a dead certainty to get it, but that doesn't seem to happen.

sarobet

sarobet

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 26, 2006 @ 12:36 PM

It's funny when 3 or 4 people get in and you think "wow! with this many minds at work, they should clean up!", but then only one of them knows anything. I always wonder what discussions the winners have afterwards about splitting up the money. Even though it's not all that much money, if I were the one who was actually answering all the questions, I would feel like I deserved more than 33.3% or 25% of the money!

The one I saw the other day had a guy and a girl (when asked if they were a couple he said "I wish") he answered almost all the questions and almost all of them very quickly. He went for the double or nothing and won 2400 I think. I really think he should keep all the money.

nole9

nole9

Channel Surfer

Posted Aug 30, 2006 @ 9:42 AM

The other morning there were two kind of geeky guys in the cab, I think they won about $600, but the best part was when they came to the video bonus, one wanted to go for it and the other wanted to take the money and run. So they looked at each other, joined hands and started to thumb wrestle to see if they would go for it. It was hilarious, they even did the "one, two, three, four, I declare a thumb war" thing before they started. They wrestled for what seemed like 2-3 minutes before the one who didn't want to go for it won. Ben just had this great look on his face the whole time.

Nyte

Nyte

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 5:23 PM

Glad to see I'm not the only one who likes this show...

Something someone said previously sums up my feelings about it. The show has unassuming sense of just plain fun. (and i also have a thing about smart not your average handsome men like Ben :) )

I just set up the scout on my TV to let me know when its on...

And did i read correctly that there is a new season coming up? I'm starting to see repeats too...

OldMizzentop

OldMizzentop

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 7:48 PM

On the second one this afternoon two seriously fat, fugly people (a man and woman, presumably married or dating) got in the cab and OMG dumbest people on the damn planet, today

I think the woman on one of today's episodes has them beat. I don't remember the first couple of questions she was asked, but they were really basic and she missed at least one. Another question was, "In which Shakespeare play does a Danish prince speak the line, 'to be or not to be'?" She had no idea and had to call her husband, a Shakespearean actor, to find out the answer. The next one: "What is the name for a casing spun by silkworms that is also the title of a 1980s Ron Howard film?" She thought the answer was "cocoon," but used a street shout-out to make sure. The question she struck out with was, "What small, four-stringed, guitar-like instrument was developed in Hawaii in the 1880s?" Her guess? A mandolin. (Though in fairness, she knew she was wrong.) I half wondered if she was putting on an act.

JTMacc99

JTMacc99

Stalker

• Interests:I like TV.

Posted Sep 29, 2006 @ 2:52 PM

And the highlight of that episode?

After he kicks her out of the Cash Cab, he looks right at the camera and gives a great big "WOW!"

PetuniaP

PetuniaP

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2006 @ 5:22 PM

Count me in among the Cash Cab lovers. My friend told me about this summer and begged me to watch it. I finally got around to TiVo'ing and now there at least 5 episodes on my TiVo at all times. It's the perfect thing to watch as you getting ready for work or to go out because it's short but fun.

I live in NYC and I'm constantly on the lookout. Also, whenever I take a cab ride with someone, I always tell them about Cash Cab. Regular cabbies must hate me :-)

OldMizzentop

OldMizzentop

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 27, 2006 @ 12:58 AM

And the highlight of that episode?

After he kicks her out of the Cash Cab, he looks right at the camera and gives a great big "WOW!"

Definitely; I should've mentioned that.

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

• Interests:Psychiatry(doh!)<br />Knitting<br />Tv(doh!)

Posted Nov 6, 2006 @ 4:06 PM

I'm addicted to this show too. So much so that I watch it on Discovery and Discovery Times. At this point, I think I've watched all episodes and they aren't making new ones fast enough.

I agree that Ben can be corny, but he seems so real. He really can't conceal his emotions at times(when he seems baffled by some people) and I find that so endearing. It's particularly nice that he seems so happy for the passengers that manage to win some money.

nikitee

nikitee

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2006 @ 1:26 PM

My daughter and I watched a Cash Cab marathon over the weekend (cold & rainy, so we did a lot of cooking/baking)... we noticed after a while that there are "stupid people" questions and "smart people" questions... seems like the host asks a couple straightforward questions to get a feel for the players, then goes into alternate sets. The british gents who did so well got "educated white male" questions (literature, geography, sports)... but there seemed to be sets for punks, fashionistas, feminists, stoners, etc. Has anyone else noticed that the questions aren't random? I mean, no white contestants were asked about Brown vs. Board of Education or Al Sharpton... and no men were asked about Lolita, Lillith Faire, or Margaret Sanger.

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2006 @ 2:16 PM

Has anyone else noticed that the questions aren't random? I mean, no white contestants were asked about Brown vs. Board of Education or Al Sharpton... and no men were asked about Lolita, Lillith Faire, or Margaret Sanger.

Oh, absolutely, nikitee! How could this work though? The screening process for this show doesn't allow for this customization of the quiz. Unless they're going by superficial information, such as where the passangers are heading to, their perceived demeanor, etc. Or maybe Ben is just that good at reading people at a quick glance.

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Nov 15, 2006 @ 8:29 PM

I think like how people react to the noise and lights blinking when they get in the cab. I like the ones that laugh, because they have the most fun playing the game. Some, clearly miss the fun of it. I remember seeing that red headed guy who was going to Chelsea Piers. He was doing okay, but wound up getting his third strike on the very last question. He was so pissed to have left without money. But I think he's missing the point, he got a free cab ride.

I feel sorry for some older players because there are a lot of pop culture questions that they wouldn't know. After a certain age, you just don't keep up on actors and pop music.

I noticed cash cab doesn't drive very far. I'd be interested in seeing the money that one could rack up going from say... Penn Station to Columbia University.

I think what I like about Cash Cab the most is that is sooo New York. I know, it should be, but plenty of shows are shot and set in NY that don't give off the vibe. It satisfies my occasional NY cravings.

Edited by Hairymango, Nov 15, 2006 @ 8:37 PM.

Gracelessly

Gracelessly

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2006 @ 9:45 PM

My dad loves this show. In our family we always bring up as conversation what game show we would do best on and he says now it's this show. He used to say Family Fueld but he hates to watch it now... Too bad we live in the Midwest.

Groovy Chainsaw

Groovy Chainsaw

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 3, 2006 @ 11:23 AM

If the questions ARE tailored to contestants based on their background/smartitude it's probably a pretty quick fix. Ben "reads" the questions by repeating what is communicated to him via an earpiece. The show's producers ( who are probably in a van or truck that tails the cash cab ) can easily manipulate the show as it goes along.

Rai

Rai

Fanatic

Posted Dec 3, 2006 @ 12:52 PM

Actually, my boyfriend's co-worker and his spouse were picked to be on this show -- and I think they knew the whole concept of the show before getting into the cab, so yes, there's not a lot of spontineity on this show. Or at least not in the early episodes, which makes sense. You have to build up name recognition first before actually grabbing people off the streets, I suppose. I don't know though if their episode ever aired or not.

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2006 @ 3:29 PM

That is pretty cool to actually know someone (who knows someone) who rode the Cash Cab!

I was watching this show the other day and something I wish they'd do is to reward the people who stop to answer an street shout out, if they answer correctly. Maybe give the person 10% of whatever the taxi passenger made so far, or whatever they find appropriate.

Meedis

Meedis

Fanatic

Posted Dec 6, 2006 @ 9:27 AM

Wow. I don't know how I missed this show. Based on the description it does sound like an interesting concept. I'm wondering if during their early days they got a contestant that was like...."I don't have time for this crap...I'm late." Of course they'd never show that...unless they release a bloopers DVD..:-)

Groovy Chainsaw

Groovy Chainsaw

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 6, 2006 @ 1:14 PM

Something occured to me while watching the show recently. Doesn't matter if the passenger is going 8 blocks or 50 blocks -- the ride still takes between 10-15 minutes. Does Ben employ a lot of small talk that can later be edited out of these long rides ? I know a long ride = more $, but how is it that a long trip takes about the same TV time as a short trip ? Woh'hoppen ?

Hairymango

Hairymango

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2006 @ 7:45 PM

I've seen some trips where a team gets to their destination with $300 and others where they are at $750 (not including double or nothing). So I think that depends on the length of the ride. And red light challenges.

I'm wondering if during their early days they got a contestant that was like...."I don't have time for this crap...I'm late."

It's New York, so you know they got a lot of that. They probably also got a few choice words from the people on the street during shout out requests.

I can't seem to tell a difference in the $25 vs. $50 vs. $100 questions. Sometimes any one of these can seem difficult or easy. The red light challenges seem fairly accessible, though, since there is no penalty for guessing.

I'm amazed at how many people do the double or nothing video clue. I'd take the money and run (especially since so many of the questions seem to be about places in the Middle East).

The Masses

The Masses

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2006 @ 8:18 PM

Actually, my boyfriend's co-worker and his spouse were picked to be on this show -- and I think they knew the whole concept of the show before getting into the cab, so yes, there's not a lot of spontineity on this show. Or at least not in the early episodes, which makes sense. You have to build up name recognition first before actually grabbing people off the streets, I suppose. I don't know though if their episode ever aired or not.

I'm sure they had to go through a period of controlled test runs to see if he could actually run a game show and drive at the same time. And to think it's illegal to use a handheld cell phone while driving in NY but you can conduct a game show.

Kyranthia

Kyranthia

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 22, 2007 @ 6:35 PM

Oh no...looks like Cash Cab isn't on the air right now. Bummer. I liked this show.

Has anyone heard if it's been just put on hiatus or if they canceled it?