Cash Cab

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

211 replies to this topic

Groovy Chainsaw

Groovy Chainsaw

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 16, 2006 @ 11:13 PM

Unassuming people enter the "Cash Cab" as simple passengers taking a normal taxi ride, only to be shocked when they discover that they’re instant contestants on Discovery Channel's innovative new game show!

Ben Bailey, the host and driver of Cash Cab, then offers them the following proposition:

The Cash Cab will drive you all the way to your destination and ask you general knowledge questions along the way. The questions start out on the easy side, then get harder along the way – the harder the question, the more money it’s worth. The first four questions are worth $25 for each correct answer. The next four are worth $50 and then every question after that is worth $100.

A correct answer is awarded the cash, an incorrect answer means the contestant gets a strike. The contestants can earn cash all the way to their destination. But the second they miss their third question (i.e., earn their third strike), Ben pulls the Cash Cab over and ejects them onto the sidewalk, no matter where they are!

If they get stumped on a question, contestants can "shout out" for help, either by calling someone on our mobile phone (a "Mobile Shout-Out"), or by asking someone on the street for help (a "Street Shout-Out"). Each contestant only has one Mobile and one Street Shout-Out during the course of each game.

If the contestant has won at least $200 and the cab hits a red light, a "Red Light Challenge" is offered, which is a single question with multiple part answers. The passenger has 30 seconds to get all answers (e.g., name all seven of Snow White’s dwarfs). If the contestant gets each part of the answer correct, they win $200; if time expires, they move on without receiving any strikes against them.

Finally, if the contestant arrives at their destination having earned cash, they can opt to bet it all – double or nothing – on a "Video Bonus Question." The question is a based on a clip from Discovery’s library

How is there no page for this show ? Well, maybe there's no page because there are no celebrities on this show and even a big winner will walk away with less than 2 grand -- and a free cab ride ! Plus it airs on the Discovery Channel -- not the first place I tune for game show excitement.

Apparently Cash Cab is another American version of a British show. I first heard of it through my in-laws -- great people but not what you'd call cutting edge. How did they stumble across this charmingly low-key, addictive show before me ? Tune in to The Discovery Channel between 6 and 7 pm ( Eastern ), check out this show then come back and discuss. If nothing else, you get to see someone drive a cab through New York City traffic while hosting a game show -- now that's multitasking !

Metairie

Metairie

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2006 @ 9:37 PM

My sister told me about this show but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. Sounds awesome!

ghettofabman

ghettofabman

Stalker

• Interests:Snark, snark, and more snark....what else were you expecting?!?

Posted Jan 18, 2006 @ 4:35 AM

I absolutely LOVE this show! The host seems a bit toolish, but I like the premise overall. I bet everyone in NYC would be hunting for the cab that gives you at least a free ride and at most lots of money.

Today, I saw the episode where the four friends won something like $1850. I'd kill to be in that taxi and I'm not even in the North!

travelerkaty

travelerkaty

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2006 @ 10:27 PM

I think one of the winning contestants on the show yesterday was Jim, the guy who came in 2nd in the original "The Mole".

Metairie

Metairie

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 5:57 PM

I finally got to see it - LOVE it! And it's on in 3 minutes!

Kyranthia

Kyranthia

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 7:42 PM

I have yet to see this show, but the premise reminds me a bit of Oblivious. (Anyone remember that show?) Sounds cute though. I'll have to check it out.

Groovy Chainsaw

Groovy Chainsaw

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 26, 2006 @ 8:45 PM

much MUCH MUCH better than Oblivious. Contestants are told as soon as they give their destination that they're on a game show. Ben Bailey may be an acquired taste, but he's much easier to take than Chris Wilde ( was Chris Wilde host of Oblivious -- or am I thinking of some other show ? ) Everyone that I've told about this show has become a fan. Aside from the cab gimmick it's a fairly low tech show, the stakes are also low. Pretty much ideal, stress-free dinnertime viewing.

Kyranthia

Kyranthia

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2006 @ 12:17 AM

Contestants are told as soon as they give their destination that they're on a game show. Ben Bailey may be an acquired taste, but he's much easier to take than Chris Wilde ( was Chris Wilde host of Oblivious -- or am I thinking of some other show ? )

Chris Wylde hosted Taboo. (And yes, he sucked as a host.) Regan Burns hosted Oblivious. Regan was all right. Nothing special though.

I did kinda like Oblivious and if this is way better, then I should like it.

JonM

JonM

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 29, 2006 @ 1:37 AM

I saw this for the first time a couple of days ago and loved it. I like the fact that the questions actually do get harder or at least trickier as time goes on. Also the time limit being determined by how far you're taking the cab is great. I just wish it were on more often.

Stinger97

Stinger97

Stalker

Posted Feb 7, 2006 @ 10:11 PM

Just saw it for the first time tonight while my Dad was in the living room with it on. I actually dig how the cab lights up and such when an answer is correct. Just really cool.

And who wouldn't kill for a free cab ride in the city, not to mention a nice amount of cash for just sitting there and answering some questions. My favorite part is the Red Light Challenge, just because I think it's cool how the producers managed to incorporate all of these rules into such a simple game.

There was an all girl trio in the cab tonight, and they ended up walking away with $1250. Not half bad at all. They refused to go double or nothing, which I think is the smartest thing to do. Just isn't worth throwing all the money away for a video clip that asks about something featured on The Discovery Channel.

Shamrock76

Shamrock76

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 28, 2006 @ 10:26 PM

I think Cash Cab is a great show, I just always forget its on. I did catch it today though. Its fun.

Recovering TV Addict

Recovering TV Addict

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 1, 2006 @ 8:16 PM

A friend told me about this show so I checked it out. It's fun, but won't someone please go double-or-nothing so we can see what the video challenge is about. Granted I only watched one episode, but the two couples that made it all the way to their destination didn't want to risk the money. As a person who pretty much lives paycheck to paycheck, I can't say I blame them, but as a TV watcher, I wants the drama!

Oh, here is some info on Ben Bailey: Ben Bailey on imdb.com

One more thing: I read the fine print at the end of the show, and it looks as if some of the contestants are "pre-screened". That kind of sucks since it takes some of the spontaneity out of the concept. But still a cool idea.

cplmilt

cplmilt

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 1:52 PM

My favorite question and answer on the show has got to be, "what were the prospector who searched for gold in california originally called," and the one guy said, "Sixty Niners," then his friend with him corrected him with the right answer of ,"Forty Niners."

juanita927

juanita927

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 3:13 PM

Love this show, although like others, I have a hard time remembering that it's on.

When I was in NYC last month, I drove my husband crazy looking for the Cash Cab --anytime we were hailing a cab, I held out as long as possible for a mini-van one, in hopes that Ben Bailey would be the cabbie. Alas, twas not to be.

fraksen

fraksen

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2006 @ 6:53 PM

The Fraksen household loves this show. Tonight for some reason there were three Irish reporters in the cab and they took pictures and then just got out of the cab! What the heck! The girl in the cab after said it all when told that it was Cash Cab a game show inside of the cab, "Only in New York"!

Love it and love the host. I think he is hot in an odd no nonsense sort of way.

Groovy Chainsaw

Groovy Chainsaw

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2006 @ 3:33 PM

Those " Irish reporters " seemed a bit fishy to me. Who wouldn't wanna be on a game show ?Maybe they're actually in the Irish mob.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2006 @ 8:45 AM

This is my new favorite show. I get a kick out of seeing how all the different people react when they first get into the cab and Ben blares the sound and lights. Some scream, some laugh, some look wary, some are so stoic you'd think they were dead. The casual setting (and the fact that a lot of them are with friends) makes the contestants so much livelier and more genuine than traditional game shows.

Besides the regular quiz show fun of seeing if I know the answers, there's also the bonus intrigue of guessing which contestants will get kicked out and which will go for the double-or-nothing question.

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2006 @ 7:29 PM

In this particular context, the fact that the guy reminds me a lot of Travis Bickle really freaks me out.

juanita927

juanita927

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 28, 2006 @ 7:04 PM

Fun article from Yahoo! News about the show.

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2006 @ 7:58 PM

Elaborating on my earlier point: Bickle, Bailey

That said, I do like this show a lot! The pacing is great; they get a lot of questions into 22 minutes. The difficulty level seems to be very fair considering they have no idea who the hell is coming through the door; I know most of the questions, but definitely not all. The host is mostly just being a laid-back, cool guy, but he sometimes makes a little subtle look or joke that is hilarious. And the contestants usually seem to be having a great time, which is nice to see. Just a very well put-together, entertaining show.

One strange thing, though: After they get out of the cab, why do they always wander off in a random direction? The least the cabbie could do is drop them in front of where they wanted to go! You never see them just walk into the building in front of them. Yes, these are the things I think about.

Edited by Mean Dean, May 10, 2006 @ 5:27 PM.

Gracelessly

Gracelessly

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2006 @ 9:44 PM

I just discovered it on Discovery and my only concern how well is the cabbie paying attention to the road.

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted May 24, 2006 @ 1:11 AM

He was a professional cabbie, so that probably helps a lot.

nanasez

nanasez

Couch Potato

Posted May 26, 2006 @ 3:15 PM

I adore this show! I think I've seen all the existing episodes, but thankfully new episodes are coming out soon.

One more thing: I read the fine print at the end of the show, and it looks as if some of the contestants are "pre-screened". That kind of sucks since it takes some of the spontaneity out of the concept. But still a cool idea.

I was a bit bummed, too, until I found out how the screening process works. Apparently, when the producers run into real "characters" on the street, they approach them about participating in a reality show about favorite sites in NYC. That, of course, is a ruse. The "enlisted" participants get into the cash cab thinking it's a cab sent to take them to the reality show they agreed to do. Only when they get into the cab, they find out that the cab IS the show, and that it's a game show. So it's kind of a sneaky way of funneling interesting personalities into the Cash Cab. The people don't get in the cab knowing what they're getting into.

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted May 27, 2006 @ 12:51 PM

Cool... that actually makes me feel a lot better, because one of the things I like most about the show is that the people weren't expecting to be on it and are just happy to be there and to make any money at all. Normally, when a game show doesn't give away much money, it makes you look down on the contestants a bit because you wonder why they came all that way for so little... but that shouldn't be an issue with this show because the show essentially comes to them, and I'm glad to hear that it really is like that. There was a young married couple on the other day that were just the cutest thing ever -- they were holding hands while the husband just rattled off one answer after another, and the wife was just so delighted and shocked that her husband actually knew all this stuff... it was really fun.

One small thing I don't get is how they could possibly sometimes go an entire ride without hitting a red light.

Jessican

Jessican

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 14, 2006 @ 10:08 AM

One small thing I don't get is how they could possibly sometimes go an entire ride without hitting a red light.

I think they edit out most red lights. The "Red Light Challenge" only kicks in after the contestant has a certain dollar amount, and only occurs once per game.

viciousgrrl

viciousgrrl

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 10:13 AM

I love this show! One of the best things about it is that the questions are actually good, and there's not too much down-time between them; I can't stand game shows that drag and drag to fill time.

And I also think the host is really hot in a strange way... He'd definitely need to pay me to get out of his cab. What can I say? I like smart guys who aren't conspicuously good-looking. *shrug*

My favorite question and answer on the show has got to be, "what were the prospector who searched for gold in california originally called," and the one guy said, "Sixty Niners," then his friend with him corrected him with the right answer of ,"Forty Niners."

That? Cracks my shit up to no end!!

I wish they'd do this in Chicago -- I take sooo many cabs. For now I have to settle for rushing home from work to catch the final 20 minutes of the second show. Better'n a sharp stick, right?

Wajo298

Wajo298

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 10:17 AM

Saw an episode the other night. Some woman with a blue cowl neck sweater and some sort of vest was on and she had some seriously nasty teeth. Hope she used some of her winnings for a case of Whitestrips. Had a hard time looking at her whenever she opened her mouth. Ick. Kept wondering how her hubby or significant other could muster up the courage to kiss her. Don't get to see this often but when I do I get a kick out of it. No huge bucks at stake but fun to watch.

Mean Dean

Mean Dean

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 10:58 AM

I think they edit out most red lights. The "Red Light Challenge" only kicks in after the contestant has a certain dollar amount, and only occurs once per game.

Ahh, I see. Do you know how much the dollar amount is?

Wajo298

Wajo298

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 15, 2006 @ 11:33 AM

I believe that when they get to the $200 mark they qualify for the Red Light Challenge.

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Jun 27, 2006 @ 8:12 PM

Hey! People are recognizing the Cash Cab! It was fun to see some riders get excited instead of weirded out when the lights went off.

Not that it helped them play any better.