They're Still Here...Shows That Will Never Be Cancelled

• Please log in to reply

306 replies to this topic

SnarkySheep

SnarkySheep

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

As much as I've enjoyed The Office over the years, I really think it should just bow out gracefully at this point...and yet, it seems to have a strong likelihood for returning next year. In the interest of bringing "new life" after Steve Carrell left, they've replaced him with James Spader's Robert California, who is just a waste of space, and the new "boss" Nellie, who is just plain ridiculous, for lack of a better word. (For those who don't watch the show, Nellie essentially walked into the office while the manager Andy was on vacation, took over his desk, and when he returned, basically told him, "Sorry, get lost, I've got your job now." And Robert California said, "Sure thing, see ya, Andy!" On what planet is such a thing even remotely feasible??)

Now, I'm hearing that a number of the regulars have different shows in the works for the fall, and will be leaving. Yet TPTB are still trying for a Season 9. Come on, the actors are telling you it's time to call it quits -- they all want different projects, and apparently we've run out of plots, if we're resorting to such ridiculousness. Let's end on a somewhat positive note, while ratings are still high and people remember the show well.

Slingblade

Slingblade

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 19, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

It may not have had that many seasons, relatively speaking, but I feel Supernatural deserves a mention in this thread. The showrunner had a five-year plan, culminating in Sam and Dean battling Lucifer - yes, the devil - in the fifth season. By all rights, that season should have been the end of it. Also, Sam and Dean's relationship hit rock bottom in the fourth season, so it would have made sense to mend it in S5 and then end the show. Sadly, the S5 finale was one of the worst and most anticlimactic I've ever seen.

Anyway - because the stars were contracted for a S6, and the show's ratings were good, the show went on (with a different showrunner). And on. And on. To be fair, S5 was so bad IMO that I stopped watching afterwards, so I can't make a real evaluation of the quality of S6 and S7. That being said, I did watch one episode of S6 (everything I feared it would be, and worse) and kept tabs on the show in general, and it only seems to be getting worse.

- There was nowhere left to go, story-wise, after Lucifer was defeated, so they just kept pulling lame new villains out of their asses.
- Sam and Dean's relationship never credibly healed, and they just stick with each other because they don't have anyone or anything else; the brotherly bond that carried the show in the early seasons (when it was much more light-hearted and fun) has long been ruined.
- The show has a long record of treating women poorly, and they continue to either serve as one-night-stands for Sam and Dean, helpless damsels in distress, or seductive evil whores; most of them die horrible gory deaths afterwards. Almost every single semi-important female character has been killed off, while the male supporting cast, Bobby and Castiel, seems to die and come back to life whenever it's Thursday. Castiel's storyline in particular has been jerked around so much that it's utterly ridiculous at this point.
- The ANGST is utterly overblown, overdramatic and at times unbearable. After what they put Dean through in S4, the show officially had me at the point where I stopped caring about these characters' suffering because their lives just keep getting worse and worse, with no hope for the future. I became desensitized. It's possible to write a show about dark, haunted characters and still offer some optimism, but SPN isn't that show, or at least hasn't been for years. It's just misery, misery and then some more misery. I think the writers are either simply cruel, therefore loving to torture their heroes so much, or they're cashing in on the dumb assumption that the darker/angstier your work gets, the more artistic value it has, which is untrue.
- Much of the humor is dumb and frat-like (I can think of quite a few bathroom and sex jokes that fell flat, to say the least). Also, every episode seems to have at least 15 uses each of the words "bitch", "slut", "whore", "skank", "douche(bag)", "dick", etc., which makes me wonder if the writers are actually a bunch of 13-year-olds.

I know SPN is still considered the CW's strongest show, along with the far less well-known and succesful Nikita, but I have to wonder how much of that has to do with inertia and the show being given credit for its past quality (and simply the fact that it breaks the CW's mold of teen drama shows). IMO, it should end already - heck, S5 should have been the end (although it should have also been far BETTER than it was). However, S8 is coming, and given the solid ratings and the fact that the cast doesn't seem to want out any time soon, it seems primed to have 10 seasons like Smallville (maybe even more?). It's a real shame, both because I used to love this show and it pains me to see how far its quality has fallen, and because there are better shows deserving a chance.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 8:34 AM

Anyway - because the stars were contracted for a S6, and the show's ratings were good, the show went on (with a different showrunner). And on. And on. To be fair, S5 was so bad IMO that I stopped watching afterwards, so I can't make a real evaluation of the quality of S6 and S7. That being said, I did watch one episode of S6 (everything I feared it would be, and worse) and kept tabs on the show in general, and it only seems to be getting worse.

I agree with this about Supernatural. For me that's what killed the X Files; the show got great ratings and it went on and on and on even after Chris Carter ran out of ideas. I think Supernatural ran out of ideas years ago and people I know have told me the only reason they watch are the two leads.

grimm2

grimm2

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 11:57 AM

What amazes me the most about Supernatural is that I think its ratings don't justify it in the least. As I understand it, the X-Files ratings justify it in such way the show could afford to change the leads.

Edited by grimm2, Jun 21, 2012 @ 11:59 AM.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 12:42 PM

Slingblade, I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment of Supernatural. It's astounding to me that that show's going into its eighth season when, for me, it was spent by the end of S3. (This show was actually a sort of one hit wonder for me: for some reason, I love S2 and...almost nothing else the show has done before or since.) And you're so right about the relentless, wrist-slitting angst. I could understand the continued appeal if the show were a fun mood-booster, but it's one of the most painfully, self-consciously depressing shows I've ever seen, those occasional, tonally jarring "let's break down the fourth wall and toss loads of over-the-top humor at you all at once!" episodes aside. God forbid a show about two hot guys on an endless road trip who shoot monsters with rock salt actually be FUN. The CW's perpetually on the verge of collapse, though, so its ratings standards are so low that I'm worried SPN will still be limping along when Sam and Dean are having those same endlessly repetitive, angst-drenched whine-fests from the porch of a nursing home. Ugh.

I'm starting to think America's Next Top Model will never end, either, despite the fact that so few (none?!) of the winners have ever actually become "top models" following their stint on this show.

Edited by MsTaken, Jun 21, 2012 @ 12:45 PM.

Slingblade

Slingblade

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 2:36 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'm glad it's not just me who feels this way.

people I know have told me the only reason they watch are the two leads.

I'm totally stereotyping, here (especially because this show is said to be one of the only CW shows that appeals to males as well), but I think SPN wouldn't be such a hit - by CW standards - if it wasn't for the hordes of teen/early 20's girls obsessed with Jared and Jensen. Just look at the amount of Wincest out there, which is seriously a TV phenomenon, or how much of the discussion about the show revolves around the attractiveness of the two leads and (for some reason, young females are addicted to it) the angst. I think that's what's carrying this show well past its sell-by date.

those occasional, tonally jarring "let's break down the fourth wall and toss loads of over-the-top humor at you all at once!" episodes aside.

This is another thing I don't get: the endless meta. Sure, it's fun when a show *occasionally* breaks the fourth wall and acknowledges the fandom and the real life issues surrounding it, but on SPN it's become a like an obsession for the writers. We have episodes with titles like "Jump The Shark" and "Slash Fiction", episodes that reveal the entire universe of the show is a comic book named Supernatural or have Sam and Dean playing "characters" named Jensen and Jared, and perhaps the most befuddling element - Kripke making fun of his fans (in "Swan Song": "What can you do, fans are always gonna bitch..."). I honestly think they have no ideas left, so they base the entire show on their fandom.

Edited by Slingblade, Jun 21, 2012 @ 2:39 PM.

hat

hat

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

It may not have had that many seasons, relatively speaking, but I feel Supernatural deserves a mention in this thread. The showrunner had a five-year plan, culminating in Sam and Dean battling Lucifer - yes, the devil - in the fifth season. By all rights, that season should have been the end of it.

I think you have a point in that Kripke should have gone with his original plan, have Dean and Sam say yes, trap both Michael and Lucifer in hell. Because the show was renewed is no reason for Kripke to have dropped the original plan. Dean and Sam could have been extracted from the cage by God and their hunting continued. New and exciting stories of once again Dean and Sam with a sprinkling of Bobby and maybe more of Cas and stories that had to do with monsters. Season 6 should have been a reset and new beginning of the show, instead we got the boring and never ending dragging of the hell story that went nowhere and had no use.

Season 4 started new and fresh with some great characters and some fantastic ideas. Unfortunately, by 5th episode of season 5 and onward, everything went back to the same crap where all characters, whether human, angel or demon were so alike they could be interchanged. None of the showrunners really demonstrated any creativity, making me feel all the creative juices really came from Kim Manners.

I'm hoping Carver will revitalize SPN. It really could be a great little show again, with some new writers, more imagination and the ability to get away from the status quo. Maybe Carver can give SPN a good reason to keep going and not make the PTBs regret another season of SPN. One thing Carver can change, which none of the previous showrunners could, is to give all characters equal storylines and to bring in new characters that will actually contribute to the show, and keep them alive and secondary, not have them be the heroes while the leads stand by watching someone else do their job for them.

Edited by hat, Jun 22, 2012 @ 11:04 AM.

visenya6

visenya6

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 11:14 AM

I'm surprised Gossip Girl and One Tree Hill lasted as long as they did, Supernatural its just more of the same to me.

Edited by visenya6, Jun 22, 2012 @ 11:15 AM.

shamangrrl

shamangrrl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 1:49 PM

I've never really felt that SPN was particularly mysogynistic or homophobic - until the last two seasons. There were definitely moments during S1-5 that annoyed/angered me, but the past two seasons ramped things up to unbearable levels. Frankly, *everyone* on SPN dies horrible deaths, gets treated poorly, is stupid, etc. Being treated poorly isn't a function of gender or skin color. But the number of times over the past two years we've had women in chains/cages/tortured, displayed simply as sex objects with no hint of lives beyond that function, has ramped up considerably. And the humour has definitely gotten worse and devolved into childish, potty territory. It's no longer funny. The writing has devolved into caricature. The writers seem to no longer be concerned with the characters - it's the next "funny" scene, the next horrible thing they can show happening to them, the next emo-angstfest. It's not about horror, plot or character. It's become this bizzare erotic/fantasy/angstfest that has no overall theme to hold it together. There's no longer any *point*, besides emo, angst, hurt (without comfort), and making everyone dumber with each passing moment.

All that said, I'm hopeful for S8 with a new showrunner who doesn't have an axe to grind, who doesn't seem to favor any particular character, who seems to want to tell character-driven stories. I didn't watch the majority of S6-7 because the sheer suckitude was overwhelming. But I'll tune in next season, to see if Carver can bring back some of the show's former glory. Hell, if he can begin repairing the brother relationship, that would go a long way, because once that was destroyed in S4, they never bothered to build it back up.

omelas

omelas

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

if it wasn't for the hordes of teen/early 20's girls obsessed with Jared and Jensen

I think you drastically overestimated the agge of obsessed fans. My daughter is 19 and no-one she knows watches this show - it's alot of women in their 30's and 40's keeping this show going.

Blackmantra53

Blackmantra53

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 6:53 PM

- it's alot of women in their 30's and 40's keeping this show going

If the crowds at the coventions are any indication, I think I would agree with this....so why does the show not write for this age bracket, or at the very least for a viewer who is more than sixteen years of age?
The show limps along with ratings that would be laughable on another network because, in my opinion, the dollar signs are still adding up and any notion of quality flew out the window toward the end of season four.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jun 22, 2012 @ 7:22 PM

How are the Bachelor and its 'sister' ship, the Bachelorette, still on the air? There is not the last shred of romance left about either of them, they attract more famewhores than 'suitors' and IIRC are responsible for one lasting match in how many interations? The Biggest Loser has inspired more lasting romances that this franchise.

blugirlami21

blugirlami21

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 12:53 AM

I also agree about Supernatural being long in the tooth for some time now. My friend just started watching the show this year and she is so enthusiastic but for me that time has passed. There is nothing about Supernatural, not the characters or the storylines.

I saw a preview for a new season of The Real World St Thomas, which is the show's twenty-seventh season. How is this show still on the air?

visenya6

visenya6

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 25, 2012 @ 6:07 PM

How are the Bachelor and its 'sister' ship, the Bachelorette, still on the air?

I feel the same way about CSI and its sister shows NCIS, the new NCIS and the rest of the CSIs.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 8:10 AM

I saw a preview for a new season of The Real World St Thomas, which is the show's twenty-seventh season. How is this show still on the air?

I think what happens with a show like Real World is that the people who watched it from the beginning have moved on and each year there are new twenty-somethings who watch. I've noticed that shows like CSI and NCIS, that I watched in the beginning and stopped watching, are watched by people who didn't start out watching the show, but might have seen a few episodes on cable channels; maybe that's what happened with Supernatural too.

kems28

kems28

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

I think what happens with a show like Real World is that the people who watched it from the beginning have moved on and each year there are new twenty-somethings who watch.

Twenty-somethings watch The Real World? I'm in my 20s, and everyone I know stopped watching midway through high school. I think the last full season I saw was Philadelphia. I'm gonna be honest, I thought they had stopped filming the Real World several years ago and were just doing challenges now. Who knew!

Speaking of MTV shows, I can't see them ever stop producing new episodes of True Life. Nor should they, as that's probably the best thing the network has going for it right now.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2012 @ 7:49 PM

The last season of The Real World that I watched all the way through was their first San Diego season which featured Jamie Chung who is now an actress. I knew they were still making new season though because they've repeated cities a few times. I started watching when I was pretty young and it cracks me up that the original cast is now in their mid-40s and MTV is still making new seasons.

Edited by Turkish, Jun 26, 2012 @ 7:51 PM.

snowprince

snowprince

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 4:14 AM

Anything "Kardashian"..........

corvus13

corvus13

Stalker

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 2:15 PM

Anything "Kardashian"..........

Like a bad rash that won't go away.

MichaelaRae

MichaelaRae

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 9:05 PM

Why do I feel like the Kardashians know from a rash that won't go away?

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

I have to say that House Hunters will never be cancelled. I do wonder when hunters will stop wanting granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and hardwood floors.

scarynikki12

scarynikki12

Fanatic

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

And colonial style houses with big closets! Don't forget the big closets!

hugafish

hugafish

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 6:10 PM

I'm 24 and I don't know anyone in their 20s who watches the real world. I thought that was mostly a high school thing because well by the time you are in college and beyond you are already experiencing "the real world" and it isn't that interesting of a premise anymore.

grimm2

grimm2

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 29, 2012 @ 6:19 PM

Dallas.

...right when you think its finally over, gets renewed with a vengance.

Edited by grimm2, Jun 29, 2012 @ 6:20 PM.

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

20/20 and Dateline, at least in their current incarnations. They started out as actual news programs that spent a bit more time on particular subjects. Now it's all tabloidy, imo, and beneath either network's news department. Besides, there are all the shows on cable that already tend to cover the death of [insert person]/ did someone's spouse or S.O. kill them/the disappearance of [insert person].

Dateline is on twice a week. 20/20 is on once at least. Both aren't even near a shadow of their former news selves. At least 48 Hours Mystery sort of names what it's about, but I don't feel the need for real life murder after an evening of pretend murder. Maybe scripted comedies could be put in those show's stead?

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Jul 1, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

20/20 and Dateline, at least in their current incarnations. They started out as actual news programs that spent a bit more time on particular subjects. Now it's all tabloidy, imo, and beneath either network's news department.

You know Dateline isn't real news when they show reruns of it.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Jul 2, 2012 @ 10:50 AM

I was never sure exactly why Jersey Shore was on to begin with. The fact that it's still on - and the people on it are 'celebrities' - boggles my mind to a previously unknown degree.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Jul 5, 2012 @ 3:27 PM

I wonder if the continuation of the various scripted dramas is related to the availability of those dramas on Netflix so you can catch up. I stopped watching Supernatural years ago, but had friends who enjoyed it. So I could join in the conversation I started watching it again via Netflix but definitely wouldn't have picked the show back up had I not been able to catch up on past seasons so easily.

I suppose it also helps with a lot of the procedural shows you don't need to watch them in any sort of order since they don't delve too deeply into the homelives of the various characters. I've been watching Cold Case on Ion and there's very little discussed about the homelives of the cops that I can't figure out within the episode. Scotty ha(d) a mentally ill girlfriend. Lil can't make a relationship work. Short fat guy whose name escapes me had an unsuccessful marriage due to his own issues. That's interchangable with almost all other cop procedurals.

Griffinlord

Griffinlord

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 27, 2013 @ 9:49 PM

What are some long running shows that you think no matter how bad they get will never get cancelled?

Two and A Half Men.

If it survived Charlie Sheen, it can survive anything.

Edited by Griffinlord, Apr 27, 2013 @ 9:50 PM.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2013 @ 1:46 PM

What are some long running shows that you think no matter how bad they get will never get cancelled?

Two and A Half Men.

If it survived Charlie Sheen, it can survive anything.

It seems to be surviving the departure of 'half man' Angus T Jones, too. I read that the show was renewed yet again, but only Jon Cryer and Ashton Kutcher are returning.

Just the ads make me want to take a shower.