They're Still Here...Shows That Will Never Be Cancelled

• Please log in to reply

305 replies to this topic

Mr. Shanks

Mr. Shanks

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 3:03 AM

What are some long running shows that you think no matter how bad they get will never get cancelled?

melemoopoo

melemoopoo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 4:14 AM

I know its ending (by choice) but Will and Grace should have been cancelled two seasons ago.

The West Wing would never be cancelled, ever. It goes off the air by choice.

Shows that will always be on my television, without volunterily going off the air are:

Law and Order (original)
The Simpsons
CSI
And the daytime soaps: Days of our Lives, Young and the Restless, Bold and the Beautiful, General Hospital etc.

I can only hope that the American people will one day be sick of reality television and I can kiss goodbye to Survivor and American Idol. But probably not in the near future.

Edited by melemoopoo, Jan 12, 2006 @ 4:21 AM.

roasty goodness

roasty goodness

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 7:25 AM

Here in the UK, Eastenders and Coronation Street will probably be around long after I'm not.

Most of our best sitcoms don't get cancelled either, the writers just decide to stop after 12 episodes (Fawlty Towers, The Young Ones), or a bit longer (The Office, Only Fools and Horses)

rafflestv

rafflestv

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 7:50 AM

I agree roasty goodness, both have been around longer than I have but it's not impossible. Remember the demise of Brookside, one might argue that it was superior to both Eastenders and Coronation Street and was around a good while but it eventually got cancelled.

I will have a big party if either gets cancelled though.

MsGail61

MsGail61

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 7:52 AM

The arrogance of journalists have kept 60 Minutes, Nightline, and the 6:30 nightly news on despite falling ratings.

GrammaK

GrammaK

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 8:45 AM

I think both The Simpsons and South Park jumped the cartoon shark a few seasons ago. Both were great in their time (sustained flashes of genius, and both were certainly ground-breaking) but that time has passed. I don't think either one will be cancelled though.

Edited by GrammaK, Jan 12, 2006 @ 10:49 AM.

The Librarian

The Librarian

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 10:23 AM

ER. Which sucks big time (I mean, it sucks now, and it sucks that such a once-great show is now so bad).

Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 10:33 AM

The Simpsons: it hasn't been good in at least half a decade, yet shows no signs of slowing down any time soon.

Even though they announced this would be the final season on 7th Heaven, I still don't believe it.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 12:22 PM

The Bill is another British show that's seen a massive quality dip, but is still going.

KeyOui

KeyOui

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 12:29 PM

I agree with ER, the Simpsons and the Bold and Beautiful. All 3 have gone way past their use-by date.

In Australia: Neighbours
In New Zealand: Shortland Street

Both are not surprisingly soaps of course.

rafflestv

rafflestv

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 12:40 PM

The freaking Bill, is utter pants although I did appreciate last nights drugging the men to steal their money and then accusing them of rape plot on last night. It was a bit different.

I used to love Neighbours when it was about Scott and Charlene back in the 80s but it should just die a death now. Bringing back Paul and Harold doesn't turn back the clock.

Sensei

Sensei

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 1:08 PM

I know its ending (by choice) but Will and Grace should have been cancelled two seasons ago.

It should have ended after the entire Harry Connick Jr debacle. That was when the show really went downhill in my opinion.

kookybloo

kookybloo

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 1:45 PM

America's Funniest Home Videos.

Also probably Sesame Street.

And yeah, the Simpsons should've quit while they were ahead.

labprincess

labprincess

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 1:45 PM

ER. Which sucks big time (I mean, it sucks now, and it sucks that such a once great show is now so bad).

Word! ER owns this thread. Will it never die? It's been so long since the show has actually been good, that I can't even remember when that was.
Ditto for the West Wing.

ETA:

Whoa. This show is still on?

Edited by labprincess, Jan 12, 2006 @ 1:47 PM.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 1:50 PM

How long has Barney been on? It won't go away.

ebonygoddess

ebonygoddess

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 2:02 PM

How long has Barney been on? It won't go away.

Also probably Sesame Street.

Eh, I give kids shows a pass because their audience grows up and moves on but another group of preschoolers take their place. Besides, they do teach kids and perform a service; unlike ER, According to Jim, Still Standing, and Yes, Dear, which have all sucked since day one (excepting ER). And whoever is watching Queer Eye, please stop. They don't even stick with the original concept. There are more than enough 'Help out the severely unorganized/downright nasty family' and 'Oh please help us plan our wedding because we're famewhores who want free swag' shows on already; QE doesn't need to pile on.

Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 2:11 PM

Whoa. This show is still on?

Its still on, but I'm pretty sure at this point they're just re-mixing all the different old clips into new sequences with a sprinkling of whatever small portion of new videos they happen to receive.

This means they literally never have to cancel the show.

Hey Im Jeff

Hey Im Jeff

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 2:12 PM

The Simpsons owns this thread, doesn't it? I don't even remember the last time that it was funny.

And, although it has its ups and downs, I don't think Saturday Night Live is getting cancelled anytime soon.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 2:16 PM

Entertainment Tonight will probably never get cancelled.

KeyOui

KeyOui

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 2:17 PM

I used to love Neighbours when it was about Scott and Charlene back in the 80s but it should just die a death now. Bringing back Paul and Harold doesn't turn back the clock.

Word rafflestv. I know Flick was popular with the boys, but I didn't like the Scullys much. In fact for me, it stopped being must-watch TV around 1992, when Gabby left.

Also agree with the Will and Grace being too long in the tooth. And American's Funniest Home Videos, Australia's Funniest Home Videos (Toni wasn't much of an improvement over Kim), and New Zealands Funniest Home Videos.

Actinolite

Actinolite

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 4:45 PM

Cops is right up there with America's Funniest Home Videos and Entertainment Tonight.

Last year I would have said Everybody Loves Raymond was the Zombie Show That Would Not Die, but apparently it's been shot with a silver bullet and buried at the crossroads. Finally.

Well Manicured

Well Manicured

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 5:04 PM

Didn't Entertainment Tonight claim they were going to cancelled at one point? I think I heard this several years ago, but even then I didn't believe it.

I don't see The Daily Show getting cancelled anytime in the near future, I won't be suprised to see it on when Jon Stewart is in his 60s, ala David Letterman. But who knows.

skyegazer

skyegazer

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 5:17 PM

As far as I know, Power Rangers is still on the air and has always been on in one form or another since it first aired about a decade ago.

PRgal

PRgal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 6:00 PM

Didn't America's Funniest Home Videos go off the air at some point but then came back?

I agree with Saturday Night Live.

I'd like to add:

60 Minutes (the hosts are going to be on until they're like 200 years old)
Oprah (no matter what she says, she's going to be on the air as long as she can)

bobkatt13

bobkatt13

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 6:13 PM

For some godforsaken reason charmed has not been cancelled yet, but hopefully this will be the year.

labprincess

labprincess

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 6:15 PM

60 Minutes (the hosts are going to be on until they're like 200 years old)

You mean they aren't already? :)

Rozinante

Rozinante

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 7:33 PM

Saturday Night Live has been on for at least 20 years longer than it's been funny.

SteveJRogers

SteveJRogers

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 7:48 PM

Can we still put Monday Night Football in this cateogry? Even though TECHNICALLY the package is now to be on NBC on Sunday nights while the old Sunday Night package that ESPN has is just being "transfered" to Monday night

JuliJBG

JuliJBG

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 8:32 PM

I am going to nominate The Today Show for show that will never die. It probably should have died back when one of it's main newscasters was a monkey (1950's) but now we are stuck with Khatie Couric. Blech.

Also, Martha Stewart has claerly proven that she can't be put down. I fear she'll live on for many more generations.

GbMedusa

GbMedusa

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 12, 2006 @ 9:09 PM

Wandering through the channels the other day when what show from my childhood (of oh, about 150 years ago) is STILL on the air?

The Sooooooooouuuuuuuullllllll Train!

Unfortunately, my throat started closing due to an allergic reaction to rap, so I didn't stick around to see if there were still the random "white chick/dude", cat suits, and hair down to the back of the knee.

Ah, my youth...oy, my youth.