ACTOR: Ellen Pompeo

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

6722 replies to this topic

smoothcriminal

smoothcriminal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2005 @ 1:43 PM

Yeah it was total bad editing. I wish we could have seen more. It was really chopped up. But like I said, I think it was cool. She seems pretty awesome to me.

Edited by smoothcriminal, Dec 11, 2005 @ 1:44 PM.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted Dec 11, 2005 @ 10:11 PM

It also proved what a good actress she is for the show. Because we can never see Meredith threatening to stab Addison in the face.

Because she has ineffectual little fists that couldn't properly grip the utensil (although they do just fine on the shot glasses).

She's 36? Huh. Even if she is a creature of abnormally high metabolism (I'm a former one of those myself), she could use a little meat on her bones. If she were a little more filled out, it might make her being the object of so much male adoration more realistic.

ShellsandCheese

ShellsandCheese

Fanatic

Posted Dec 12, 2005 @ 7:42 PM

I have a hard time believing that any man would choose Meredith over Addison.

About her episode of Punk'd the problem I have is that she was attacking the waitress. If she had a problem with the flirting she should have told the boyfriend to stop it.

Edited by ShellsandCheese, Dec 12, 2005 @ 7:46 PM.

whatthedeuce

whatthedeuce

Fanatic

Posted Dec 13, 2005 @ 5:05 PM

She's 36? Huh. Even if she is a creature of abnormally high metabolism (I'm a former one of those myself), she could use a little meat on her bones. If she were a little more filled out, it might make her being the object of so much male adoration more realistic.

Yeah, it worries me a little how skinny EP is even though I myself have a high metabolism and am very skinny. I guess I don't think of myself as unhealthy-looking like I think she looks, but others might perceive me that way, which means she and I are in the same boat, but I sure as hell hope we aren't.

TenPea

TenPea

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 14, 2005 @ 12:33 PM

She's starting to look like a walking skeleton. It's making her already weird mouth look like it's eating her face.

And, she's 36? Playing an intern?

Richie

Richie

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 14, 2005 @ 9:00 PM

I don't think she's long for this show if she is indeed anorexic. Remember that girl on "Growing Pains"? She had to leave the show because of the disease. Took her years to recover.

bsg27

bsg27

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 14, 2005 @ 10:19 PM

Aaarrrgh! Not again. What's with the idle speculation that she's anorexic? Ok, so she's really, really, really skinny. That doesn't mean she's anorexic. Some people just have those body types - my cousin for one. I remember reading somewhere (sorry, no link because it was in passing and i can't even remember when) that on the set she's eating constantly. And eating crap that's not very good for you - I think the example was enchiladas.

Has there been a drastic change in her? I get tossing around theories about what the cause of her skinniness is if there is some kind of evidence or something to indicate it was caused by anything but metabolism and genetics. (Lindsay Lohan was one where I think the speculation was a) justified and b) confirmed). EP was super-skinny in Old School. She is bone-thin in every photo I've seen of her. I just don't get the jump from wow, she's wicked skinny -> her career is going to be destroyed by this anorexia that she must have.

I'm sorry for the rant but this kind of stuff is such a pet peeve of mine.

smoothcriminal

smoothcriminal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2005 @ 5:27 AM

I agree, it is a real pet peeve of mine and its offensive to us naturally skinny girls. I'm tired of being called names and hated one because I'm thin. I'm sure EP is too.

terryyaki

terryyaki

Posted Dec 15, 2005 @ 8:19 AM

I'm tired of being called names and hated one because I'm thin. I'm sure EP is too.

I can imagine how it feels like guys,i symphatized with you.I absolutely dont have a problem with my weight,but really im so tired of reading posts like these,since season 1,and until now,its still EP's weight that people talk about.geeeee,can we move on?anorexic doesnt eat salad and crab cakes!she does! =))

Richie

Richie

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 15, 2005 @ 10:21 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. The only reason I posted anything about it is because I do feel that she has changed drastically and, imho, think that she is looking not well. She looks beyond just skinny. You're right though. It's not a good thing to talk about people's problems and I just hope she doesn't have this disease. She is a terrific actress and it would be sad.

AB Chao

AB Chao

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 15, 2005 @ 2:21 PM

Here's a thread for y'all to talk about tiny little Ellen Pompeo, the actor. Character talk goes in the "Dr. Meredith Grey: McDrunky" thread. Thanks!

smoothcriminal

smoothcriminal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2005 @ 3:21 PM

Don't worry Richie I wasn't offended, I just know what its like to be really thin and not have a problem. I think that people who are under and overweight take a lot of shit from society and it sucks.

flux

flux

Posted Dec 15, 2005 @ 3:40 PM

I'm a tiny person too so I just want to say EP looks like how she always looked. She is always this tiny and it's not due to anorexia. If she was really anorexic, I don't think Shonda or the rest of the cast would let her go on like this. And I read in an article somewhere that EP eats all the time.

It maybe because she's suppose to be tired and sleep deprived on the show that the makeup department purposely lay off on the rosy cheek, morning glow that people are expecting. I'm bony like her and I eat like a cow and I'm still size 0 with room to spare.

Edited by flux, Dec 15, 2005 @ 6:24 PM.

almostlunchtime

almostlunchtime

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 15, 2005 @ 5:51 PM

Thanks for the vote of no-anorexia, flux. I've read the litany of scary, skinny EP complaints but I honestly can't see it. She looks like the same size in Old School -- the only other EP thing I've seen -- and I would hardly call her dangerously skinny, certainly not more so than 95% of the other actresses who've graced the screen. I posted maybe last week or so that the character has been lookign kind of run down but I attributed it as a doctor thing rather than an actress thing. Personally, I'd probably stop eating if I had to do daily surgeries with someone who looks as put together as McS does.

ParadiseFound

ParadiseFound

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2005 @ 10:43 AM

I don’t think she has an eating disorder, I think she was just blessed with “good” family genes. Girlfriend is 36 and she looks like she’s 26. That’s an asset.

Her punk’d appearance really added a lot of insight about what kind of person she is. Let’s just say, it wasn’t flattering, IMO. Also, that boyfriend of hers… ???? I just don’t get it. But it’s not my life and probably not for me “to get”.

jessc

jessc

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 16, 2005 @ 11:34 AM

Eating disorder or no, EP looks pretty skanked out to me - on screen and getting Punk'd, so it's not the stylists on GA's fault. I think lots of the criticism of her appearance (and my personal distaste) comes from that fact - she looks raggedy, and it's a natural assumption that maybe she is ill in some way. Now I'm sure all you other skinny minnies out there (and slim fellas like my own guy) are the picture of health and DO NOT look like the nine miles of bad road that is EP. So when people criticize her, try not to take it personally, and remember your metabolism is the envy of millions. Also, personality-wise EP came off as the most overly-sensitive, inappropriate beeotch. Sister was just mean, and so NOT funny. Bad editing can only get one so far - she did say those things, after all. Yuck. She does NOTHING for me.

VeronicaNC

VeronicaNC

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2005 @ 11:47 AM

Girlfriend is 36 and she looks like she’s 26.

If her face looks 26, then I must look 16. I think her face makes her look mid 40's. And good Lord she either needs to brush her damn hair or she needs to shave her head.

Just because she ordered and ate crab cakes and a salad doesn't mean it stayed down. They probably edited her puking it all back up. She looks --body, face, hair,etc.-- exactly like the bulimics I know. She reminds me of this girl I used to work with who would eat lunches that would make a teamster go, "That is way too much food," and then go right to the bathroom. She could even puke without making a sound.

Call me cynical, but as far as the network and TPTB on the show caring if she is bulimic or anorexic or whatever, I doubt it. Unless she dies on set or can't work because she can't move, I don't think they care that much.

I actually would probably like the Merdith character if another actress played her, but alas I'm stuck with the poor, poor man's Renee Zwellwhatever.

SaffronReynolds

SaffronReynolds

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 16, 2005 @ 12:46 PM

I don’t think she has an eating disorder, I think she was just blessed with “good” family genes. Girlfriend is 36 and she looks like she’s 26.

EP does not look 26. Izzie looks 26. EP looks at least 34. They explained why Cristina is older... she got a Master's in something or other before going to med school, I was hoping they would do the same with Meredith. I thought they had a great opportunity when speaking with Alex. She could said that she floated through life having fun. Then finally settled down and went to medical school. I know lots of people who didn't go straight to med school. I can accept that Meredith is in her late 20s. It would be great if she had to turn 30 in an episode.

But come on, when EP stands next to KH she looks ragged and thin -- and obviously much older. I understand that her character is suppose to be ragged from all the emotional strain. But I think a younger actress would been better if Meredith is suppose to be ingenue.

almostlunchtime

almostlunchtime

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 16, 2005 @ 1:41 PM

She's not an ingenue, though. She's been through college, med school and is now an intern. Obviously, she's done the drinkin' and screwin'. More power to her. Are any of us over the age of 21 really going to claim that we're born to play ingenues with our pasts in mind?

What I like about her character -- which maybe belongs over there if I haven't written it already -- is that she is beginning what is the start of a career that people see as morally upright and flawless, but in her personal life she is anything but. It's very lifelike. As far as EP's outside of GA exploits go, none of us know her. We're not at liberty to say whether she ingests what she orders at a restaurant or realistically wants to kill her servers. We'lll all hold different opinions of what a beautiful actress looks like and what a healthy actress looks like, and that's not even to say that you need to be both at the same time. Shows like Punk'd are manufactured to show celebrities look like asses and catch them at times when they've not had a chance to doctor their statements. It is very possible they edited out the part where she said, "I'm totally kidding" or even "I'm sort of pissed right now, don't mind me I'm just venting." I didn't want to comment on that show segment at all but no one has really explored the fact that what the people on the show present is as much a persona as the character they portray. Maybe her rambling about cutting the waitress is an insight into her personality, but guess what? We won't know until we meet her, and chances are that just won't happen.

smoothcriminal

smoothcriminal

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2005 @ 2:24 PM

I'm in the minority but thats ok, I personally don't think she looks her age, I think she looks much younger. Not like 21 or anything but I think she could pass for late 20's maybe 27. I think shes hot. As far as punked it make me like her more. You guys are gonna tell me you have never said anything remotely inappropriate?

Let me give you an example, in my younger years I found out my friend kissed my boyfriend, so I told all my other girls that I when I saw this bitch at a party I was bringing a bat to crack across her face and knock all her pretty teeth out and the I was going to tap dance on them.

In reality, I was pissed off and kidding. But thats how I roll, would I ever do something like that? No. But when I get pissed my description of my actions become animated. So I guess I am a psycho bitch too and thats fine by me.

I think everyone is just taking by shock because 1) actresses are usually whiny and prissy on punked (except my other love Kelly Monaco)
2) People who don't like EP don't really like her character either, and they were expecting someone like Meredith who they like to call "weak"

whatthedeuce

whatthedeuce

Fanatic

Posted Dec 16, 2005 @ 3:40 PM

I think things are getting a bit heated in here, no? Maybe we should lay off how skinny EP looks so we don't have a riot on our hands. I personally think she looks about her age and is rather skinny, but that's just how she is. I'm sure she has no eating disorder though I wouldn't be very shocked if she was considering the standard of beauty set by Hollywood. I'm already very skinny, and I think I'd be horribly insecure if I knew I was being watched by the media and whatnot. Let's just hope EP's got no problems though and leave it at that because it's a very sensitive issue, and I think it's easier to avoid fighting if we do.

jessc

jessc

Channel Surfer

Posted Dec 16, 2005 @ 7:26 PM

To be fair and objective, I admit that for all I know EP could be delightful and lovely in every way in person. I just don't feel that any external or internal attractiveness really comes across the way she is written or styled on GA, nor in her appearance or behavior on Punk'd, but we are all smart enough to know TV (esp "Reality") can manipulate people's appearances just a teensy bit.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Dec 16, 2005 @ 10:18 PM

EP does not look 26. Izzie looks 26. EP looks at least 34. They explained why Cristina is older... she got a Master's in something or other before going to med school, I was hoping they would do the same with Meredith.

I thought they did...when she was talking to Alex about her own wild days, it seemed like it took her awhile to settle back down.

Swipsey32

Swipsey32

Posted Dec 18, 2005 @ 4:52 AM

I think things are getting a bit heated in here, no? Maybe we should lay off how skinny EP looks so we don't have a riot on our hands. I personally think she looks about her age and is rather skinny, but that's just how she is.

Let's just hope EP's got no problems though and leave it at that because it's a very sensitive issue, and I think it's easier to avoid fighting if we do.

Thank you so much for posting this. I am new here, I certainly do not want to fight. Until fairly recently I was looking forward to de-lurking and posting and sharing my opinions on Ellen Pompeo, the actress and Meredith Grey, her character.

Then I began reading all the anti-Ellen Pompeo Punk'd posts and they creeped me out, their level of venom really, really did. I am now not so sure I want to be a part of the TWOP family of posters.

Punk'd is a show that is designed specifically to make it's victims look retarted, stupid, anal, uptight etc etc. It is designed, written and edited that way. Why so few people here get that and are willing to make allowances for that very basic Punk'd fact, is beyond me.

Poor EP, this isn't her fault.

Sars

Sars

Posted Dec 18, 2005 @ 10:26 AM

Post about the actress, not about each other. If you see a problem, report it to a mod, but generalizing about other posters is off topic.

EvilSpawn

EvilSpawn

Posted Dec 18, 2005 @ 2:47 PM

Honestly, I don't think that EP would have signed the release form for Punk'd if she knew that she was going to look like a crazy woman who wants to kill some waitress over the waitress talking to her boyfriend. My guess is that the waitress came up and said something to her and maybe threatened her (as directed by Ashton). Then, by the magical powers of editing, we saw EP going batty without seeing her be threatened in the first place. The people at Punk'd see that as good TV.

If it didn't go down that way, or something similar to that, then I agree. EP may have a few screws loose. But we all know that these reality TV shows have a way of manipulating what we actually see.

Edited by EvilSpawn, Dec 18, 2005 @ 10:58 PM.

VeronicaNC

VeronicaNC

Fanatic

Posted Dec 18, 2005 @ 9:12 PM

My guess is that the waitress came up and said something to her and maybe threatened her (as directed by Aston). Then, by the magical powers of editing, we saw EP going batty without seeing her be threatened in the first place.

I know all about the magic of editing. If that is the way it went down - the waitress saying something to her or threatening her, EP is simply a remarkably stupid woman. If someone in the service industry is rude, or whatever, as an adult you should know that you complain about them to the manager. You do not talk about stabbing them with a fork. You get up you pay the bill and you leave. It is really very simple.

EvilSpawn

EvilSpawn

Posted Dec 18, 2005 @ 10:57 PM

Yes, she could have handled things better, but we are dealing with video footage that has probably been edited to make EP look like worse than she actually is. That should be considered before we decide that she's the worst person in the world and the only actress who has ever done something like this.

If it was me, I would probably eventually tattle on the waitress. But initially, I would probably tell whoever I was with, "I could totally kick her ass". In EP's case, you know she is all talk because she couldn't beat up a squirrel.

My brother is one of those guys who never gets in a fight, but who always talks about it after someone (usually drunk) tries to get in his face. After things calm down, he describes how he would beat up the person if he needed to. Again, he wouldn't fight unless he had to.

People talk alot of shit. It doesn't mean that they would actually follow through with their plan.

VeronicaNC, my post was not directed at you by any means. I don't know if you took it that way, but it really had nothing to do with you, and I'm sorry if you took it that way.

Edited by EvilSpawn, Dec 18, 2005 @ 11:01 PM.

Swipsey32

Swipsey32

Posted Dec 19, 2005 @ 12:49 AM

but generalizing about other posters is off topic.

Point taken. Sorry.

Honestly, I don't think that EP would have signed the release form for Punk'd if she knew that she was going to look like a crazy woman who wants to kill some waitress over the waitress talking to her boyfriend.

But we all know that these reality TV shows have a way of manipulating what we actually see.

Exactly. This is why I have no opinion one way or another, on the EP Punk'd episode. If I see her go crazy on a TV talk show or on some red carpet event where she is being her real self, and her real self is not being manipulated by sensationalistic editing, I will have an opinion on her. Until then, the jury is out for me.

Edited by Swipsey32, Dec 19, 2005 @ 12:56 AM.

Bruin4Ever

Bruin4Ever

Fanatic

Posted Dec 19, 2005 @ 12:57 AM

and her real self is not being manipulated by sensationalistic editing, I will have an opinion on her.

Is there any other kind of editing/?