BOUOs and Other Notable Prop and Wardrobe Items

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1083 replies to this topic

mujer

mujer

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2005 @ 9:52 AM

arlykeeno, I didn't make mention of the non-Pixar lamp. But yes, I gave the IKEA link -- showing a lamp that looks absolutely nothing like the lamp in the link you provided. Yep, Japanese paper floor lamp! (I couldn't believe I couldn't one on IKEA.)

Edited by mujer, Jun 11, 2005 @ 1:12 PM.

Examorata

Examorata

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2005 @ 12:41 PM

I thought it only appropriate that I should make my first official multi-forum post in the good ol' BOUO thread! (I am never going to keep up with all of this!)

Personally I am espousing the theory that it's a dog toy, a throwaway item that the prop folks got out there so there would be things for House to play with (other than his cane). I fully expect a shout-out from the lovely David Shore and his wonderful minions this fall.

It has now been officially determined that there are multiple red mugs, yes? So everytime we see someone drinking out of a red mug we don't have to think they ganked House's personal mug out from under his nose.

Meems

Meems

Fanatic

Posted Jun 11, 2005 @ 1:09 PM

It has now been officially determined that there are multiple red mugs, yes? So everytime we see someone drinking out of a red mug we don't have to think they ganked House's personal mug out from under his nose.

Hee. Yes, that was determined in the finale. And good thing too, because I could never help being slightly indignant on House's behalf whenever they showed one of the ducklings drinking out of it. Now they're off the hook.

(I suppose this might be more appropriate in a You Know You're Obsessed With Hizzy thread, but since we don't have one yet, I'll just post it here since it deals with the red mug: I was watching my awesome NewsRadio DVDs and I suddenly noticed that Catherine has a red Hizzy coffee mug! And then I realized that I'd gone completely insane and that I clearly need intensive professional help to get me over this bizarre fixation on BOUOs and red mugs.)

happybirthday

happybirthday

Just Tuned In

Posted Jun 12, 2005 @ 11:51 PM

not related to the BOUO, sorry.

Still - did anyone else notice in "Kids" that after the Ben Jelen applicant is summarily (and snarkily! and hottily!) dismissed by House for having a tattoo, they cut to a scene where Forman's /Omar Epps' inner-wrist tattoo is prominently displayed? Is this showing that House was just rejecting folks for no good reason (loving Cameron so and wanting her back), or was it just an editing/continuity mishap? Given the general brilliance of the show's subtleties, I'm inclined to think the former.

(ps. yay! first-ever post!)

deekay

deekay

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2005 @ 12:49 AM

Welcome, happybirthday! I definitely think it was on purpose. I constantly praise the writing and acting, but the editing of this show is often brilliant, too. One of my favourite examples is in the pilot, when House is filling a prescription bottle with candies to give to a hypochondriac - cut to Cameron explaining to Foreman that House hates pretense.

And he rejected Dr. Petra because she wears impractical shoes ... have you seen the shoes Cameron wears?!

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Jun 21, 2005 @ 8:54 PM

A comment (not really a question) about sets rather than props or costume: they really gave themselves longterm cinematography headaches by making most of the hospital walls glass rather than something non-reflective. It enables them to get a lot of cool depth and texture into shots, but it must mean that every single camera angle has to be calculated so it won't show any reflections of the camera and crew. I thought Kenneth Branagh was crazy for setting much of his Hamlet movie in a mirror-lined grand hall, but that was only 4 hours of film. This is a longterm TV series. I guess they're really dedicated to their art, and don't care if they have to suffer for it week after week for years?

deekay

deekay

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2005 @ 11:25 PM

I'm convinced that's why the clear board disappeared after, what, one episode, to be replaced again by our dearly departed white board. One more reflective thing is the last thing they needed.

eejm

eejm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2005 @ 10:32 PM

Welcome, happybirthday! I definitely think it was on purpose. I constantly praise the writing and acting, but the editing of this show is often brilliant, too. One of my favourite examples is in the pilot, when House is filling a prescription bottle with candies to give to a hypochondriac - cut to Cameron explaining to Foreman that House hates pretense.

Or during Three Stories when House says that drug addicts are, on the average, pretty dumb - as he pops a few Vicodin. Or the "Don't worry, it's kosher" line in Mob Rules before the pig is brought. I love the fun connections they make cutting from scene to scene.

Did anyone notice in Occam's Razor that Cameron's vest thingie is fake? That's it's actually part of her shirt? How many of these does she own and does someone make them for her? And...why?

scair

scair

Fanatic

Posted Jun 22, 2005 @ 10:55 PM

Did anyone notice in Occam's Razor that Cameron's vest thingie is fake? That's it's actually part of her shirt? How many of these does she own and does someone make them for her? And...why?

Ick, yes. When browsing through the local Marshalls, I spied a shirt nearly identical and promptly thought it looked like Cameron-wardrobe. Why in the world they have chosen to constantly saddle JM with those I do not know. Maybe it's like the conundrum of Chase's model looks and horrid shirts-never to be addressed.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

• Interests:Improv, Mojo-Kickball, Kickboxing, Cooking, Baking

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 2:48 PM

In case you don't read "In the Hizzy: The Meet Market"...

See the BOUO featured in a pixel challenge - Staring at Balls with the Stars. (It's the 2nd picture in that post).

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

• Interests:Anime, Screenwriting, Reading, Drama

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 9:22 PM

Hee. I'd go on that show, but get disqualified for staring at the wrong balls.

eejm

eejm

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 9:24 PM

Go aquarian1! Love 'em both. It really does look like Wilson is staring intently at the ball. The BOUO, that is - not House's.

flakewhite

flakewhite

Fanatic

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 10:43 PM

DumbBrunette! Young ladies under 18 are not allowed to make racy remarks! ;)

DumbBrunette

DumbBrunette

Fanatic

• Interests:Anime, Screenwriting, Reading, Drama

Posted Jun 25, 2005 @ 11:05 PM

Hey, if that was the law, I'd be in juvie by now. ;)

Edited by DumbBrunette, Jun 25, 2005 @ 11:36 PM.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jun 26, 2005 @ 2:38 AM

I was tempted to add a thought bubble over Wilson's head that read "What is that thing?"

Oh, and there is a reason I made it "Staring at Balls with the Stars", rather than "Staring at BOUOs...". And I think you all got it.

Examorata

Examorata

Fanatic

Posted Jun 27, 2005 @ 11:19 AM

Report from Petsmart: They have dog toys that are surprisingly similar to the BOUO, but none of those exact hues. Of course the selection was quite picked over. Have other House addicts been there before me?!

Meant to congratulate you on your continued brilliant Pixel Challenge entries, aquarian1!

Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 5, 2005 @ 11:21 AM

Somewhere in the gray area between props and locations is the "Witherspoon Wing" sign. A lot of scenes seem to take place in that particular hallway, often exchanges between House and Cuddy, I think. It's a nice touch, since John Witherspoon was the sixth president of Princeton (then the College of New Jersey) and a signer of the Declaration of Independence. I like how they've really incorporated Princeton into the details of the show. Also notable was that Cameron had lined up a new fellowship at "Jefferson", which I can only assume means Thomas Jefferson University, a medical school conveniently located 50 miles away in Philadelphia.

Elen

Elen

Stalker

• Interests:Reading, sleeping, hanging out out with friends, nature, music, the usual.<br /><br />TV-wise, I'm a BIG fan of House, Scrubs, and The Office, and I've been known to watch a little ER and Law &amp; Order.

Posted Jul 7, 2005 @ 4:23 PM

I remember reading an article somewhere that described House's wardrobe as 'homeless-chic'. Now...I know it's not typical doctor-wear, but 'homeless'? I think that might be a bit much. Personally, I think his wardrobe is perfectly hot. In fact, I don't think I can think of any article of clothing that I would change on House. Anybody else have thoughts on this all-important subject?

mujer

mujer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2005 @ 4:28 PM

Ummm ... re: House's "homeless chic" couture (which, I'm going to use the interior design term --and one that has been applied to my own wardrobe by a friend describing my "style" -- "shabby chic") ... definitely more black turtlenecks. And tan suede jackets. Oh Lord. Please.

Edited by mujer, Jul 7, 2005 @ 5:09 PM.

Elen

Elen

Stalker

• Interests:Reading, sleeping, hanging out out with friends, nature, music, the usual.<br /><br />TV-wise, I'm a BIG fan of House, Scrubs, and The Office, and I've been known to watch a little ER and Law &amp; Order.

Posted Jul 7, 2005 @ 4:45 PM

I'm pretty partial to the meduim-dark blue dress shirt, with sleeves rolled up...and those rock & roll t-shirts! Oops, I think I got some drool on my keyboard...

deekay

deekay

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2005 @ 4:52 PM

Homeless chic? Kinda. His hair is generally mussed, he's unshaven, his clothes don't quite fit, and they're usually pretty rumpled, and he doesn't have a lot of imagination: t-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, jacket, almost every single time. And yet ... it's oddly hot and I wouldn't change a thing.

mujer

mujer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2005 @ 5:12 PM

deekay, would you like to be hanging on the arm of one of those rumpled long-sleeve shirts? I get the other arm.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2005 @ 5:24 PM

Hee. I'll take a pant leg then. Hee. <g> Yes, I like it in the Gutter Motel, why do you ask?

RacerX

RacerX

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2005 @ 5:36 PM

And yet ... it's oddly hot and I wouldn't change a thing.

Agree and disagree. I would change it to dump the old concert tees to plain ones. I'd also insist that he stop sleeping in his clothes. I know buying a steamer would be a step too far but maybe a daily change of wardrobe wouldn't be too too much.

deekay

deekay

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2005 @ 5:38 PM

Normally I would object to sharing - I'm getting a strange vision of us as Robert Palmer girls or Hugh Hefner bunnies - still ... yes, please, mujer!

Elen

Elen

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2005 @ 7:02 PM

I know buying a steamer would be a step too far but maybe a daily change of wardrobe wouldn't be too too much.

Oh, I don't know. it seems to me that he does change his clothes. Even if he's rumpled, he never seems dirty or unbathed or whatever. But this coms from a girl who is none too picky about the state of her clothes herself ;)

mujer

mujer

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2005 @ 8:40 PM

I'm getting a strange vision of us as Robert Palmer girls or Hugh Hefner bunnies - still ...

That's it deekay. We are officially the "Housettes" -- permanent "notable props" for season two. aquarian1, you ride shotgun on his pant leg.

Edited by mujer, Jul 7, 2005 @ 9:54 PM.

RacerX

RacerX

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2005 @ 8:42 PM

Every now and then you can only tell it's a new day because everyone else is wearing a new outfit but the people who dress House didn't get the memo because he's wearing the same thing. The only lesson is to not use House as your day planner, Wilson changes but his outfits are so darn similar from day to day that it's not worth the effort, stick with Foreman, Cuddy and Chase. Cameron is iffy, she errs on the side of Wilson.

eejm

eejm

Fanatic

Posted Jul 7, 2005 @ 8:43 PM

I see House as the type of guy who puts on his clothes directly from the dryer. I'm betting it's been a really, really long time since he's even touched an iron - that is, if he owns one. I'll bet he buys most of his clothes at Target or Sears. (I'd be interested to know if the wardrobe dept. shops there for House as well.) Haircuts are done by the same barber who's cut House's hair since he was 12.

I'm thinking that House in a relationship was still pretty physically low-maintenance. I'll bet that Stacy got him to shave a little more often but for the most part, House has saved all of his energy for his work - well, the work he was interested in, anyway.

Count me in as being a big fan of the blue shirt rolled up as well. And more shots next season of House in short-sleeved t-shirts? Thanks!

Edited by eejm, Jul 7, 2005 @ 8:42 PM.

aquarian1

aquarian1

Stalker

Posted Jul 7, 2005 @ 8:42 PM

That's it deekay. We are officially the "Housettes" -- permanent "notable props" for season two. aquarian1, you ride shotgun on his pant leg.

Oh. Oh. Oh. Must not type very pervy reply in my head. ride "shotgun" indeed.

Edited by aquarian1, Jul 7, 2005 @ 8:42 PM.