Syfy: AKA The Sci-Fi Channel

• Please log in to reply

2584 replies to this topic

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 12:59 AM

Won't make it necessarily better, though, since After Dark Films is the production company behind such masterpieces as Scream of the Banshee, 51, Prowl, and so on. Not Asylum schlock productions, but Syfy schlock productions :p-Kaoteek

Was Scream of the Banshee the one with Terly Rothery (Dr. Janet Fraiser from Stargate) and was like the 100th or 200th original SyFy/Sci-Fi movie? Because if it was, then I found that movie to be at least tolerable. It reminded me of a low-budget version of The Relic and the movie had at least half-decent dialog (although, I thought that the ending was stupid).

Edit: Who knows, I'm already waiting to see this movie because it wasn't produced by The Asylum, and since they might have produced a movie that I kind of enjoyed (I have to be honest and say that I was buzzing whiling watching Scream of the Banshee), so I am thinking of given this movie a try. I don't have high expectations for this movie (I don't have high expectations for any SyFy original movies), and over the many years of watching the Sci-Fi/SyFy channel, I have learned that 96% of the time, their original movies suck, and the better movies were usually movies that had some kind of theatrical release (like the Star Trek movies or Pandorum).

Edited by TVspectator, Mar 6, 2012 @ 1:16 AM.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

Well, now that Fox has cancelled Terra Nova, does anyone see SyFy making a bid for the show?

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

Well, now that Fox has cancelled Terra Nova, does anyone see SyFy making a bid for the show?-cutecouple

No, I can't because SyFy isn't into the sci-fi/fantasy genres, the sets are not in Canada/The Pacific Northwest, and the price is why high for them too .

Edited by TVspectator, Mar 6, 2012 @ 10:22 AM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

When the Scifi channel didn't make their name a slang for a vd they would have done Terra Nova.

Scifi channel once upon a time did spend the cash such as for Farscape.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 11:38 AM

Farscape was super cheap to produce relative to what you saw on screen because it was shot in Australia and the aliens were mostly Muppets being made by the world's greatest authorities on puppet design instead of CGI. I imagine a single episode of Terra Nova (at $4 million a pop) would have funded two-and-a-half or three Farscape episodes.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

Farscape at the time cost about two mill per episode and was Australia's most expensive tv series. It still is one of the most costliest tv series per episode. The effects work with puppets wasn't cheap. On one of the commentaries one of the production people was outraged about Ben Browder getting physical with Rigel since the Rigel puppet cost a fortune. Think it was half a mill or more for the puppet.

Puppet work from the Henson company isn't cheap if you want quality.

Today it would cost six mill or more.

Edited by runningoutofnam, Mar 6, 2012 @ 12:59 PM.

SerenitySky

SerenitySky

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

OK, LOL'ing at the idea of Ben Browder getting physical with Rigel!
Loved Farscape.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 3:30 PM

Terra Nova is also produced in Australia. According to it's wikipedia page, actual costs per episode were roughly $3.7 million before tax breaks, but I'm not clear how set costs factor into this.

Maybe SyFy would go for this, now that they've dumped SGU, Eureka, and possibly any future BSG series.

On the other hand, since it's not produced by an NBC Universal studio, perhaps it's a bad acquisition.

Bruinsfan

Bruinsfan

Stalker

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 4:26 PM

OK, LOL'ing at the idea of Ben Browder getting physical with Rigel!

Oh, they have no idea...

I thought Farscape came in at under 1.5 million, but maybe I'm misremembering and they just said it would have been twice as expensive to film in the US.

The Terra Nova pilot alone was $14 million, which probably would have put SciFi execs on life support if they'd been considering buying it back in the beginning.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

I think the pilot was high due to the amount of people they showed off in the first part on the decaying Earth. Plus the visuals.

That 14 million was actually spread through the first season.

http://www.hollywood...18232?page=show

250: Crewmembers -- on the set and off -- including construction workers, the art department and production office staffers.
150: Castmembers -- including stars O'Mara and Lang -- and extras on the Australian set each day.

http://www.washingto...NQVK_story.html

4 million each episode whereas a typical tv drama today is 3.7 million. The Pilot for Pan Am cost ten million.

Kaoteek

Kaoteek

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

That 14 million was actually spread through the first season.

Technically, with the reshoots, it was closer to 20M for the pilot + 4M per ep.

In short, TN's first season = 60/65M$, a good portion of which (sets & infrastructure, mainly) was supposed to be amortized over season 1 (and possibly season 2) ; in comparison, Syfy tv shows barely average above 2M/ep, so unless TN was drastically scaled back, or relocated to Vancouver/partly rebooted, I don't really see how Syfy could save the program.

Edited by Kaoteek, Mar 6, 2012 @ 5:57 PM.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

Well didn't the end of the series no longer involve future Earth and a good chunk of the first season people killed?

Pretty sure it was going to be down sized. Plus most of the initial cost is sets and location filming. With the sets already built, dinosaurs in memory season two would have had lower costs unless they were going to expand it.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

I can just imagine SyFy trying to re-create a dino jungle in British Columbia. Maybe they can scattered some potted ferns around like they did for Stargate...

TVspectator

TVspectator

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 11:14 PM

I just don't see SyFy picking Terra Nova up. I just feel that the people (or person) who is making the decision as to what shows get aired or are to be canceled, is going to factor in that Terra Nova is just to expensive. SyFy is cheap, very cheap when it comes to their scripted shows. Yes, the sets for Terra Nova are already made and the dinos are CGI (I think that a big part of the budget came from the CGI) but SyFy can say the sets are just too expensive to maintain. In addition, I wounder if having a named actor (i.e. Steven Lang) would further cause SyFy to say "hey, this show too damn expensive for us." If SyFy does pick up Terra Nova, then I think that the network will demand that the actors take a major pay cut (this is just my reasoning).

In addition, I also think that SyFy is not currently looking for a family show and this fact might also make them want to pass up Terra Nova.

I can just imagine SyFy trying to re-create a dino jungle in British Columbia. Maybe they can scattered some potted ferns around like they did for Stargate...-Temis the Vorta

I am sure if SyFy does pick up Terra Nova (which in my opinion is very unlikely) they will want changes for the show and might make the show relocate to Canada (I have nothing against Canada or British Columbia, but it is where SyFy feels that they must filmed all of their shows). Personally, a move like that could cost SyFy a lot of money and but having the show closer to Canada, SyFy can easily control the show.

Edited by TVspectator, Mar 6, 2012 @ 11:22 PM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 12:31 AM

They're not picking up the show. Not that I don't wish that shows I like get picked up elsewhere; I wish USA would have picked up Eureka, but it just doesn't really happen. TN is just expensive. And, this network isn't interested in actual science fiction programming as it is. *If* they were going to pick up a dino show, they could have partnered with ITV and brought back Primeval. That would have been cheaper and they could have split the bill. And it's a better show.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

I hear that there's a Canadian spinoff of Primeval underway. Perhaps SciFi will pick it up the way they did Lost Girl, after one full season, and and rock bottom, low-risk syndication prices.

Edited by cutecouple, Mar 7, 2012 @ 3:52 PM.

Danie84

Danie84

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 10:14 AM

Please tell me, I'm seeing things. Is Billy Zane really starring in a (gasp) Leprechaun movie? First, I didn't know they were still churning out Leprechaun movies. Haha. The last one I watched (willingly) was Leprechaun In The Hood. Stickyfingaz from Onyx was In it, and it was hilarious. Second, what happen to Billy Zane's movie career. Before he was the villain in Titanic, I adored him in Demon Nights. He played the devil so beautifully hammy. Now it comes to this. Hey, a paycheck is a paycheck. Needless, to say I will watch just out of curiousity and for the laughs.

runningoutofnam

runningoutofnam

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2012 @ 7:13 PM

Is Billy Zane really starring in a (gasp) Leprechaun movie? First, I didn't know they were still churning out Leprechaun movies.

I actually asked that but another comment-er said Warwick Davis wasn't in it so no it's not that series.

Yeah Billy Zane has gone straight to dvd or tv movies. Looked him up on Imdb and 90% of the stuff I don't recognize.

ubi

ubi

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2012 @ 8:08 PM

I loved Billy Zane in Twin Peaks.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 5:11 PM

Here's what SyFy has cooking for the coming season. No sign of a space-based series, sadly (there were rumors of something by Robert Hewitt Wolfe). As per usual, there are more interesting sounding genre shows being developed elsewhere.

Defiance – Rockne O’Bannon is behind this experiment in the “first multi-platform shooter MMO which interconnects with a global television program.” Set on a future Earth, Defiance introduces players and viewers to a world where humans and aliens live together on a planet ravished by decades of war and transformed by alien terra-forming machines. Both the game and show will take place in the same universe, with the TV action set in a mining boom town outside St. Louis, Missouri; while the videogame will follow a cast of characters in California. The TV show centers on Jeb Nolan, the law keeper in the bustling frontier boomtown of Defiance that is one of the new world’s few oasis of civility and inclusion. Nolan is a former Marine who fought in the alien conflict and suffered the loss of his wife and child in the war. The trauma transformed him into a lone wanderer in the wilds of this new and dangerous world. Julie Benz plays the mayor of Defiance.

The Dover Agenda - a thriller about a young man who is recruited by a future version of himself to work for a secret branch of Military Intelligence specializing in parapsychology and future tech. The nature of fate comes into play as the young man slowly begins to realize he did not turn out the way he thought he would.

Rewind - revolves around a team of military field operatives and civilian scientists who must use untested technology to travel back in time to alter past events in order to change the future and avoid a devastating terrorist attack. Sounds very similar to The Dover Agenda, but probably has better odds of pickup, since the lead and several supporting roles have been cast.

Legion – adaptation of the movie, which chronicles the human race’s battle for survival against God’s legion of angels sent by him to bring on the Apocalypse. The people get an unlikely ally in Archangel Michael who disobeys God’s order and decides to help them.

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 1:57 PM

I see from the utter lack of activity in this thread, the denizens of TWOP have the good taste to ignore the so-called sci fi channel. SyFy is proving them correct by greenlighting a lot of reality crap and further threatening to inflict still more reality crap on us.

Behold! Nothing worth watching in the short run!

...or in the long run either.

redshirtx

redshirtx

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 4:45 PM

True dat, Temis. And while most of that crap won't even make it to air, thank God...what does make it will likely still suck. But hey--they're still laughing all the way to the bank, I guess.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:02 PM

After W13 gets cancelled, and you know it will because it's a pretty decent show, I doubt I'll be watching anything new on the network. Even the "new" BSG doesn't seem that interesting.

Turkish

Turkish

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:13 PM

Even the "new" BSG doesn't seem that interesting.

I heard that's not even going to go ahead at this point. I keep hearing they may still make it a webseries but it not coming to tv at all at this point. Bummer.

Edited by Turkish, Apr 24, 2012 @ 5:24 PM.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:00 PM

After W13 gets cancelled, and you know it will because it's a pretty decent show, I doubt I'll be watching anything new on the network. Even the "new" BSG doesn't seem that interesting.

That makes me pretty sad. I remember when I used to watch this show for hours a day. Now, I watch maybe 2 hours a week at most. I can always look forward to Merlin coming back. None of those new shows interest me in the least. I've watched it, but I just don't like the characters in Being Human. I can live without it. Eureka's going to be gone. I forget the other show I watched. I really like Lost Girl.

Oh well, I guess two hours of my life per week isn't a total waste.

SerenitySky

SerenitySky

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

The only thing I'm excited for on Syfy is that they are showing a Grimm marathon Thursday. :)

Edited by SerenitySky, Apr 24, 2012 @ 6:34 PM.

ganesh

ganesh

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

I thought the BSG was a tv movie, but I don't care enough to follow up through all the news sources. I saw a trailer and still couldn't figure out what the movie was about. How many people have played Adama now? it's like James Bond, I swear.

Have they developed a real, actual new scifi show? The shows listed in the previous post seem more like adapting existing concepts; like, Legion the show is based on Legion the movie. Being Human doesn't count. Rewind used be called 7 Days in the 90s.

You look at something like Outcasts on BBCA. It had its problems, with pacing and the bad guy being a little too cartoony. And sure, a show about colonizing a new planet isn't original per se, but it was kind of original. The Walking Dead isn't technically "original," but it still is in a way. I'm just not seeing that with these new shows here.

Webbermon

Webbermon

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 11:13 PM

The BSG pilot film will not spawn a weekly series. It was mentioned that it may be streamed online, details yet to be announced.

The really sad part about the overflow of reality crap is that....it's working well for them. Ratings are up, profits are up...there will be no incentive to reverse course. While on the surface it may seem like there's more scripted fare on year round, that's mostly due to them going 13 episode seasons for each, rather than a regular 22 for a single show.
A science fiction channel could be so much more, too bad we'll never get one that'll truly embrace the full potential of the genre, Instead we're stuck with one that runs away from actually 'imagining greater.'

Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 3:55 PM

To be fair, they did greenlight an actual scripted drama yesterday - Defiance, showing up in 2013. Along with six reality shows. Gotta love that 6-to-1 ratio.

And beyond that (2014???) they have several drama pilots in the works, including a couple that are genuinely set in space!!! (Defender and High Moon, tho the latter isn't very far out into space lol).

They're sure making us waaaaaiiitttt for crumbs. Meanwhile, other cable and broadcast will be debuting new sci fi and fantasy series next fall, some of which sound as good or better than anything in Syfy's lineup. The so-called sci fi channel should be a lot more competitive than this.

The really sad part about the overflow of reality crap is that....it's working well for them.

Ratings are only part of the picture. Syfy's philosophy of going for the cheap, easy path to profit through inexpensive reality shows reminds me of the major blunder NBC made a few years back. That routine may make money, but at the expense of the channel's brand. If the brand becomes a joke, you're losing the single most important asset any company owns. It's a classic case of short-term thinking vs. long-term thinking.

Both NBC and Syfy (owned by Comcast now) seem to be embarked on a brand-rebuilding campaign, and willing to spend the money to do it. I can't help but wonder if Comcast smacked some sense into them. Having only one scripted drama for 2013 but so many more coming further down the pike indicates that some big change took place about a year ago, when Comcast finalized their purchase, and Syfy started to put more scripted shows into the development pipeline.

Edited by Temis the Vorta, Apr 25, 2012 @ 4:02 PM.

indeed

indeed

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 4:16 PM

So, no news about the HG Wells spin-off? Is that completely dead then?