1-12: "The Kalends of February" 2005.11.20

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

372 replies to this topic

nellyhug

nellyhug

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 9:56 PM

Sevilla better watch out for not Atia but Octavian. And yes did cry out for Cesear to watch his back even thought i knew it wouldn't do any good. And what happened to Posca??

tapshoetimestep

tapshoetimestep

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 9:58 PM

My that episode flew by.

chitowngirl

chitowngirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 9:57 PM

Oh no, Niobe. How sad. I wanted them to live happily ever after.

DCRob

DCRob

Video Archivist

I can't believe the idiot writers killed off Big Pussy . . . I mean, Julius Caesar! What harebrained plot device are they planning for Season 2--having the sniveling Octavian become emperor? That would really jump the shark.

jnymph

jnymph

Fanatic

Pretty sure I saw Posca get knifed in the forum.

The whole Niobe/Vorenus thing was incredibly depressing.

The only happy ending is Eirenne & Pullo ? Ugh. I just didn't buy Eirenne digging Pullo.. geez, that was way far fetched.

I'm not so sure I liked this finale.

Edited by jnymph, Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:02 PM.

ArminTamzarian

ArminTamzarian

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 9:59 PM

The trouble with coups is that the plotters never think past the assassination stage. Standing around and wondering "now what" when Consul M. Antonius runs away to inflame the people doesn't seem wise.

Edited by ArminTamzarian, Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:06 PM.

viva v

viva v

Couch Potato

Niobe. Did not see that coming.

Nyte

Nyte

Channel Surfer

Just wow... going to have to watch it again on the west coast feed and take notes!

Amazing Episode

However, now i'm sad that this season is over. <pooches out her bottom lip>

*edit -- Don't think Posca got stabbed, just whomped over the head Homey the Clown style...

Edited by Nyte, Nov 20, 2005 @ 9:59 PM.

Low Fang

Low Fang

Sic transit gloria mundi indeed.

Wry Bread

Wry Bread

Fanatic

And what happened to Posca??

Closed captioning says "thud."

Servilia and her honey water... what a bitch! Loved that scene.

Poor Vorenus.

MirabileDictu

MirabileDictu

Channel Surfer

Ahhhh! They had Eirenne make up with Pullo! Booooooooo! How soap opera-y.

Ladies like a man with a big….name. BWAH!

Great assassination…thought Brutus was going to chicken out there for a moment.

Did Niobe think that suicide would protect the boy? I don’t quite get why she jumped. Shame, perhaps?

Dezbot

Dezbot

Fanatic

I never thought I'd cry over the death of a tyrant, but: They killed Caesar! Those bastards! And Niobe killed herself! And Eirene may be forgiving Pullo for killing her "husband"! The hell?

Octavian's daggers of death beat Servilia's knives of revenge any day. That was one seriously scary look he gave her. I can't imagine he'll be any happier once he learns that she served up Niobe's secret to Vorenus just to clear a path to Caesar for her traitorous son, either.

Very good, very emotional ep. Sniffle. 2007 can't get here fast enough!

honeybee111

honeybee111

Fanatic

Very sad. I felt more sorry for Ceasar than I have in any other version of the story, including the Shakespeare play. Perhaps because I watched him for 12 episodes. But my heart broke for him.

Congrats to those who called Niobe's death, I wasn't expecting her to go out that way. It was heartbreaking.

And Servilla? Boy, she should look to the left of Atia. Octavian is so going to smack her down.

And Titus Pullo? Darn it, if he didn't get a happy ending. A sort of screwed up one, but happy.

tweety27

tweety27

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:01 PM

Did Posca get knocked out or knifed? Niobe...I guess she left the most honourable way. Servilia, you evil, evil woman. I suppose it felt good to finally say what she wanted to Atia for months. Offering honey water after a smackdown. Wicked.

I agree about Eirene. She loves ex-fiance enough to want to kill Pullo, spits in the nasty porridge, and forgives. WTF?

Edited by tweety27, Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:02 PM.

chitowngirl

chitowngirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:02 PM

Did Posca get knocked out or knifed?

I think he got knocked out.

Aileithyia

Aileithyia

Couch Potato

Wow, Niobe...that was...I understood her motivations on so many levels. I fully believe Vorenus WAS going to kill both her and the child, so by killing herself she accomplished several things: she deflected Vorenus' rage before he could kill her son, she spared him having to kill her, she expunged the last of her guilty conscience, and she bonded Vorenus to the boy.

Absurdist

Absurdist

Video Archivist

Was that not the fastest 50 minutes ever?

Wow. Where to start?

Pullo: so not bright, but that's what I love about him.

You knew someone would have to use the Niobe factor eventually, otherwise why have Octavian broach to Octavia about it?

They didn't exactly go the "Et tu, Brute" route, but they left in "sic semper tyrannis?" Not so sure about that.

I seriously thought Eirene would have it in her to bump off Pullo, but I'd have been extremely disappointed if she had.

Octavian is going to be far too occupied struggling with Marc Antony to be all that concerned with protecting his mother from Servilia, if you look at things historically, and really, Brutus and the other senators will pose the more immediate problem, both dramatically and practically.

What, I ask, does Lucius do now?

corporate hack

corporate hack

2007 can't get here fast enough

WHAT? Is it not coming back next year? We have to wait 2 years?

SharonDee

SharonDee

Channel Surfer

LOL DCRob!

Man, I cried so hard with the whole Vorenus/Niobe denouement. Caesar's death ... been there, done that (not that it wasn't very well, erm, executed) ... but my heart was so heavy for those two.

And no, I did NOT just see Eirene consent to hold Pullo's hand. Nope, did not see that ... nope, nope, nope ...

lourawls

lourawls

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:04 PM

I have to give props to the people on the spoiler threads that guessed Niobe wouldn't make it to season 2. I'm going to miss Indira Varma, she is beautiful. I wonder what everyone who said they would stop watching the show if Pullo and Eirene got together will do.

Edited by lourawls, Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:06 PM.

crystalsage

crystalsage

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:03 PM

Servilia is all kind of evil. As they say, "Revenge is a dish best served cold." Poor Niobe and poor Vorenus. I can't wait to see Octavian's revenge. Poor Brutus, he really didn't want to do it. Caesar's death scene was very graphic and very well acted. Sad about Posca too. Maybe he'll survive.

Nyte

Nyte

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:03 PM

What, I ask, does Lucius do now?

I don't know, but he better be damn glad he made up with Pullo. He's going to need all the friends he can get.

Dakar

Dakar

Just Tuned In

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:05 PM

Loved the episode... now I have to wait a year or more to see the next one? I could cry right now.

My favorite part was when MA walks in and sees what's happened. The look he gave Brutus as he backed into the shadows, making sure not to give them his back, was chilling.

I half thought Vorenus was going to lash out and kill the kid. Glad he didn't. And now I wonder if Vorenus even knows that Pullo and Octavian knew. Or if he will find out next season.

I was hoping the end to the episode would be MA breathing fire to the people about JC's death, but I guess I'll see that in 2007. I can't wait to see Brutus run and hide like a dog, and Servilia be the one that comes out ruined.

WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:05 PM

Holy Shit! Now that's how you do an hour of television. Idina and Ciaran hit it out of the park for final performances. The blood was kind of nauseating, and that was one of the less gory scenes.
Fucking Cassius -What a tool!
Posco and Ceasar's bickering-absolutely adorable!
Antony - I'm just going to back away verrry sloooowly.
And I know Eirene and Pullo holding hands and walking into the sunset was kinda cheese, but Christ, after the scene before, maybe at least two people in the entire city of Rome should have a storybook ending.
McKidd creeps me out he's so good. I'm putting a Vorenus mural up in my living room.

Edited by WhiteRabbit, Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:41 PM.

DiamondVamp86

DiamondVamp86

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:06 PM

I have NEVER, EVER hated a character as much as I hate Servilla right now. I don't care what happens in the second season I am going on record to say that nothing will ever make me sympathise with this character ever again. She destroyed the family of a bystander who had nothing to do with her petty squabbles with Atia and why? Because she got dumped. God, suck it up and move on woman!

The only thing Atia ever did wrong was draw dirty pic of Ceaser doing Servilla on a wall. No matter how cruel or juevenile it's still just drawing pictures on a goddamn wall. The stripping Servilla in public was deserved. She manipulated Atia's daughter and so got what she deserved in my opinion.

It was awesome television but damn I hate Servilla!

Edited by DiamondVamp86, Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:06 PM.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:07 PM

Wow, just wow on so many levels. The all out gore-fest of Ceasar's downfall, and the sickening thud of Niobe. She didn't deserve that. Atia & Servilia; Pullo and Eirene.

Hate, hate Servilia. So The Republic isn't really for "the people" anyway. Who would have thunk it. The killing was more about Vorenus and the others joining the Senate that pissed off the chosen sons of the Republic.

Loved the scene with Lucius and Niobe at the field pretending to be fertile. See, NIobe is just as bad as Atia when it comes to husbands for their daughters. Granted she didn't kill the drover, but he certainly did go away.

Niobe's reaction to Pullo being back was unexpected, but it was mostly out of concern for Vorenus.

"Women!"

I really was waiting for Ciaran Hinds to shout, "Et tu, Brutus." I feel cheap.

jennifda

jennifda

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:08 PM

Wow, Niobe...that was...I understood her motivations on so many levels. I fully believe Vorenus WAS going to kill both her and the child, so by killing herself she accomplished several things: she deflected Vorenus' rage before he could kill her son, she spared him having to kill her, she expunged the last of her guilty conscience, and she bonded Vorenus to the boy.

I thought it looked like Vorenus might just kill himself. As a viewer, I knew he wouldn't, but maybe that also was part of Niobe's reasoning?

oldbabe

oldbabe

Fanatic

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:09 PM

The last close-up of Servilla as she rose from her seat at the end of her conversation with Atia made her look absolutely reptilian. And Octavian's expression was awesome -- I can hardly wait to see what he does for revenge for her threat to his mother and her part in his great-uncle's murder.

I loved seeing the return of the Pullo we know and love -- sitting by the public water fountain, hitting on the ladies!

ChefDuJour

ChefDuJour

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:10 PM

I've been wondering for weeks how they were going to handle the "Et tu, Brute" situation -- and I have to hand it to Ciaran Hinds for delivering the line perfectly. With absolutely no words. And the attempt to cover his face with the toga? Brilliant. Heartbreaking. It can't be easy to humanize a figure like Caesar in a moment like that, but that was . . . Damn!

Clairwil

Clairwil

Loyal Viewer

Posted Nov 20, 2005 @ 10:10 PM

Wow. I would NOT want to be the one on the receiving end of the look Marc Antony gave to the guys in the Senate. That is one serious scary-face Purefoy can conjure up out of all that pretty.

That was the most emotion-laden Caesar murder scene I've ever sat through. Kudos to Menzies, whose face when he looked at Caesar, just before he stabbed him, was almost too much to watch.

Gorgeous camera-work in the apres-murder Senate scenes. The blood, the red lines on the togas, the gray shades of the marble. It looked like a painting, with Cassius standing there in the center.

Pirkis looked like a Botticelli Lucifer during the scene at Servilia's place - you could just see the plans for revenge he was making as he looked at Servilia.

My only complaint - this should have been a two-hour finale.