Shows You Hate (But Watch Anyway)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

468 replies to this topic

Lady M

Lady M

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 11:31 AM

Are there any shows that you hate but find yourself watching just to snark on? Judging from the forums, 7th Heaven is the obvious champion of this thread. For me, its Saved By the Bell and Dawson's Creek.

Gamera

Gamera

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 12:18 PM

Sex and the City reruns. (They show two a night, so at this rate it shouldn't take long.) I don't know why I watch it... I spend most of the time griping about Carrie or Charlotte. I guess I watch it for Miranda, but I don't even like her *that* much.

Stop laughing. Saved by the Bell is still worse, and you know it. ;)

Edited by Gamera, Nov 19, 2005 @ 12:20 PM.

leew261

leew261

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 12:21 PM

Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee. It is awful in every possible way -- and I'm addicted to it for the endless bounty of snarkage.

Brunette

Brunette

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 12:36 PM

I can't stand "Laguna Beach." I HATE IT. It's so obviously fake. The girls are bitches, and the guys are assholes. I just want to slap everyone on the whole damn show.

But I can't help myself. If I'm channel surfing and see it, I HAVE to watch it. I'll even watch reruns that I've seen millions of times before. I think I need psychological help....

Pasta10

Pasta10

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 12:36 PM

It's over now, but I watched Joey way too many times, out of some weird sense of loyalty. I actually throw up a little in my mouth when thinking about it...

Hey Im Jeff

Hey Im Jeff

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 12:39 PM

I get hooked into Next on MTV. Although the contestants are mortifyingly vapid and superficial, I just can't help watching.

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 12:46 PM

Walker, Texas Ranger.

Oh, shut up.

Tell me it doesn't give you some satisfaction to watch Walker and company kick various bad guy ass. Or to watch Walker himself get his ass kicked every now and then.

marlaas

marlaas

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 12:54 PM

Murder, She Wrote is a hopelessly cheesy and poorly plotted mess that features some of the most awkward dialogue and grossly over-the-top acting in TV history. Yet, for reasons that defy rational explanation, I love every tacky minute of it and have instructed my TiFaux to record every episode, no matter how many times I've already seen it. It's just such enjoyable, comforting escapism.

I know that when evaluated objectively, The O.C. is not a very good show. Hell, for most of last season it wasn't even a mediocre show. As a general rule, I hate soaps and am more than a little weary of teen-centric dramas. However, I'm simply incapable of not watching this show. I still have this weird attachment to the characters and find a lot of the dialogue wonderfully sharp and rewind-worthy. The fact that I'm 31 and hence about 15 years older than the show's coveted demographic makes this addiction even sadder. I hate that this show has such a hold on me!

I get hooked into Next on MTV. Although the contestants are mortifyingly vapid and superficial, I just can't help watching.

I, too, hate this show but find myself watching it far more often than I'd like to admit. It's a trainwreck, but a wonderfully addictive one!

Edited by marlaas, Nov 19, 2005 @ 12:55 PM.

redrobin27

redrobin27

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 1:12 PM

I would say that Prison Break falls into this category for me. I realize that, in general, I don't have anything positive to say about the show (with the exception of Robert Knepper's performance). IMO, this show puts suspension of disbelief off the map. There's mediocre acting, ridiculous plot contrivances, OTT middle distance staring, and perfectly manicured prison yards - yet I still keep watching it. Damn you, PB, DAMN YOU!

I also watch Elimindate (don't judge me!)

Edited by redrobin27, Nov 19, 2005 @ 1:13 PM.

Lady M

Lady M

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 1:19 PM

*hangs head*

Edited by Lady M, Nov 19, 2005 @ 1:21 PM.

Crosses

Crosses

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 1:45 PM

The fact that I'm 31 and hence about 15 years older than the show's coveted demographic makes this addiction even sadder.

Actually, Entertainment Weekly did a little segment on the average viewer's ages for shows, and I was quite surprised to see the average viewer age for The O.C. is 32.

Nflux Forever

Nflux Forever

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 1:58 PM

I still can't believe that I still watch Charmed. Actually I can't believe that it's still on the air. When the show debuted, it was decent enough. However since Shannen was fired, Charmed has managed keep getting worse. This season in particular blows. Yet I still watch. Bleh.

Edited by Nflux Forever, Nov 19, 2005 @ 1:59 PM.

VersesBatman

VersesBatman

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 2:00 PM

Before I gave up on it completely, I used to watch Smallville.

McKay

McKay

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 2:18 PM

Sex and the City. I hate SJP and Cynthia Nixon as well as their characters, but whenever it's on I find myself watching it.
I'm also addicted to South of Nowhere. It's lame, but I really like the lead girls and their characters, and it's lesbiantastic!

Groovy Chainsaw

Groovy Chainsaw

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 2:22 PM

My constant viewing of Yes Dear is a textbook example of this subject. I couldn't say I like any of the characters and I don't identify with the situations ( I'm married, but no kids ) but I catch it at least once each weekday. Damn you sydication !! And Jean Loiusa Kelly ... did you have to be so milfy !?!

leew261

leew261

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 3:04 PM

I had never heard of Jean Louisa Kelly, so I had to go to IMDb to check her out. Damn, milfy is right, Groovy Chainsaw!

Topic? For a while I was watching Fear Factor, but only only because my ex wanted to see it, although I have to admit I got totally sucked into the couples competition. *hangs head in shame*

BondGirl

BondGirl

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 3:30 PM

Did I forget to mention that if there were no "Walker, Texas Ranger", there would be no "Walker, Texas Ranger" lever?

And for that, ladies and gentlemen, we must be truly thankful.

Katera

Katera

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 4:07 PM

And for that, ladies and gentlemen, we must be truly thankful.

Amen!

TimeMonkey

TimeMonkey

Stalker

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 4:08 PM

I've been watching Enterprise lately. I hate all but two of the characters, I hate the plots and I think it's pretty much the worst Star Trek product ever.

JessieQ

JessieQ

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 4:33 PM

Modern Girl's Guide to Life.

JakeyIsSusan

JakeyIsSusan

Fanatic

• Interests:television (duh!), pro wrestling, pop culture, awards shows, writing, dreaming, procrastinating

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 4:36 PM

I always end up watching Gastineau Girls whenever it's on. I really hate Brittany the daughter, but I kind of like Lisa the Mom and can see myself being friends with her.

OHVibe

OHVibe

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 5:32 PM

Laguna Beach is like a really bad train wreck that I can't tear myself away from. What is wrong with me?

Shnuglet

Shnuglet

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 6:04 PM

Oh, the shame, the shame! I can't stay away from the TV Land showings of godawful '70's dreck like What's Happenin!! and Three's Company. I'm mesmerized by their consistently rock-bottom awfulness. Achieving such uber-cheesiness on a weekly basis for so many years is really quite impressive!

I actually wish the network would show the Love Boat, Fantasy Island, and the Donny and Marie Show, so I could be even more disgusted with myself.

Jeebus Cripes

Jeebus Cripes

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 6:08 PM

Hey, hey, hey! SbtB is a quality program. What?

I watch One Tree Hill every week and I hate myself for it. The plot lines are contrived, the acting is horrible, and the dialogue is ridiculous. Still, I watch. Every frickin' week.

I used to shamefully watch Mutant X regularly. Well, the first 2 seasons anyway. Eventually, the cheese was just too much for me.

sonneta

sonneta

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 7:06 PM

I'm addicted to Starting Over, even though I hate most of the inmates and definitely hate the Life Coaches. I don't know why (or how) I get sucked in every season.

Teagan

Teagan

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 7:23 PM

Survivor and American Idol are two. I'm almost always disappointed with the winner and in the case of AI, how blatantly obvious it is who they want to win, but for some reason I just can't not watch them. Also, ER. IMO, it's not very good this year or for the past couple of years, but it falls into "habit" viewing for me.

redbirds

redbirds

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 7:30 PM

Will and Grace - hate it, but still watch sometimes.
And for some mysterious reason I have to check out what stupid thing Jay Leno is doing. I can't say I watch but I do peek from time to time and then bitch about him.

leonloring

leonloring

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 7:39 PM

Full House reruns. I can't resist the Miller-Boyett crap factory.

PomPom

PomPom

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 7:41 PM

Ooh, yes American Idol for me too. I started watching it in the second season, just to keep my finger on the pulse of American culture. But slowly, and quite regretfully, I became addicted. And I hate it! I hate every awful aspect of it. And I hate that I cannot not watch it. I hate that I had conversations at some point with my colleagues about the merits of Fantasia. Ugh, it makes me loathe myself to purposely stop what I'm doing and sit down in front of the TV to watch it.

Help!

zoeyblue13

zoeyblue13

Fanatic

Posted Nov 19, 2005 @ 8:50 PM

I know that when evaluated objectively, The O.C. is not a very good show. Hell, for most of last season it wasn't even a mediocre show. As a general rule, I hate soaps and am more than a little weary of teen-centric dramas. However, I'm simply incapable of not watching this show.

I have not missed an ep of The O.C. since it started. The first season I loved the snappy dialogue and the cheesy goodness of it all. Last season was such a huge disappointment, the acting was embarrassing, and the plots were silly beyond belief. This season is worse, but I can't stop watching. In fact, I'm addicted to the power-duo of crap that is The O.C. and Reunion on Thursdays. As cheesy as Reunion is, I don't know if I can say I hate it yet, but I'm getting there fast. The only thing that's keeping me interested is finding out which songs they'll play from my high school and college days.