Food Network: Has It Gone Downhill?

• Please log in to reply

7886 replies to this topic

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 9:39 AM

Now Martha Stewart is doing a new cooking show for PBS. Funny, when FN got started, it was supposed to be the final nail in PBS's coffin. Now, all these years later, FN has moved onto competition shows, which apparently make them plenty of money, and PBS's cooking shows are still going strong.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

Funny, when FN got started, it was supposed to be the final nail in PBS's coffin.

Yeah, and when Bravo got started it was going to put the nail in PBS, and looked what's happened to that network.

There's a reason for viewer supported public TV - quality.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 4:20 PM

Amen to that; other than Barefoot Contessa and Anne Burrell's show, all the cooking shows I watch are on PBS. I liked the little I have seen of Chopped, and I like the concept of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives (the execution leaves something to be desired, thanks to the grating presence that is Guy Fieri), but in general everything FN has added to its line-up in recent years has either disappointed me or not even interested me enough to have a look.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2012 @ 7:31 PM

Something must be wrong with me because I actually like Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. If there is more than one show in a sequence, though, I can only take one at a time! I enjoy watching the cooks make dishes, often with Guy's help, and frequently in tight spaces. This is not a show that I would watch regularly, but my husband has recorded a few of them, and I've enjoyed them. I think Guy Fieri does a good job with the show. He's wild, but he seems perfect for the show.

I also think that some of the dishes these cooks make look delicious, so much so that last Christmas I bought two paperbacks of the cookbooks for my husband's stocking. It was just a little bit of a joke because he's not a regular viewer, but I think the books are interesting, too.

spaghettijimmy

spaghettijimmy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 5:58 PM

Oh I think that Guy is quite good on DDD, for one thing he has the sort of personality that draws people out, and he also seems to have a good command of recipes and food products, etc.

tinalou09

tinalou09

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:30 PM

I have grown so tired of FoodTV. Like so many people have said, this is a competition network. Hell I used to love Chopped until they ran the show almost 24/7. I live on the West Coast but watch on East Coast time(DirecTv) By 9am all actual instructional cooking programming is over. So for the rest of the day it's either DD&D, Chopped,Cupcake Wars or Restaurant Impossible...boy that is what I call variety.(not) I am watching the Cooking Channel and PBS more and more.

Edited by tinalou09, Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:32 PM.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 3:46 PM

I have discovered that in many cases the recipes at the Food Network are not reviewed as well as the stars would lead us to believe. I found what I thought was a good recipe today, rated five stars, and if I had not taken the time to read the reviews, I never would have known that six or seven of the 12 reviews were ONE star. Since I have seen this happen over and over again, I sent a note to the FN about it.

The Food Network continues to slide downhill in a number of respects, IMHO. Be sure to check the reviews before you print a recipe which you assume from the stars is a good one! A recipe with many stars may not be the best!

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Apr 29, 2012 @ 6:33 PM

I rarely watch FN anymore. Did Anne Burrell also stop making new shows? I know repeats of her old shows are on during the day and very early on Sunday mornings. I do enjoy "Restaurant Impossible," and I've been watching the "All-Star Chopped" series. I used to enjoy "Chopped," but ITA that its repeated to death. I have saved most of the more hilarious Semi-Homemade episodes(why??? I don't know! I rarely watch them) so that is no longer daily TV for me.

I check and see if Ina's or Giada's shows on Saturday are new, otherwise, I don't bother.

I know that I am in the small group of 2-3 people who miss Aarti and where did Claire Robinson go? I liked her show. In fact, I made Claire's trail mix the other day. People at work were drooling over it. Maybe she ran out of ideas that were limited to five ingredients.

Marcela is coming back next Saturday, (Cinco de Mayo!) but it looks like (again) another "lifestyle" scripted/BS program. That disappoints me because Marcela was one of the rare few who I felt could hold her own with talking/cooking for 30 minutes. I just loved her cheerful kitchen with the gorgeous view.... Well, I will give her new series a try.

I also am now primarily watching TCC. I still need to get in the habit of seeing what PBS has to offer.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

Ann Burrell's Secrets of a Restaurant Chef new shows are now on Saturday mornings at 8 a.m. Why Food Network has scheduled the show so early is beyond me!

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 3:54 PM

I have discovered that in many cases the recipes at the Food Network are not reviewed as well as the stars would lead us to believe. I found what I thought was a good recipe today, rated five stars, and if I had not taken the time to read the reviews, I never would have known that six or seven of the 12 reviews were ONE star. Since I have seen this happen over and over again, I sent a note to the FN about it.

Mlle Poilane, I have noticed the same thing too. Also, there are a lot of people who will review a recipe w/out trying it first... They'll say something to the effect of "This looks so good, I can't wait to try it!" and then give the recipe four or five stars. Or they will give a recipe four or five stars after modifying the hell out of the recipe, almost to the point where it's a different recipe entirely.

BC1795

BC1795

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

Clare -- if the pattern goes as it goes, when Alex, Tyler and Claire's shows were moved to 8:am on Saturday mornings, (or there abouts)as reruns, it meant that the shows were done. I think they want Ann to host these damned ridiculous competition shows.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:57 AM

they will give a recipe four or five stars after modifying the hell out of the recipe, almost to the point where it's a different recipe entirely.

This drives me crazy. If the recipe had to be modified that much, it wasn't a good recipe in the first place. Yet the five star ratings stay up and any criticism is swiffered away.

clare 32

clare 32

Couch Potato

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 4:43 PM

Thanks for the info BC

Ann is a great host for Worst Cooks in America especially with Bobby Flay and every other show she's been on but I am a real fan of her Secrets of a Restaurant Chef show. If it's the case that FN will cancel her show, then FN has definitely gone downhill.

pjamma

pjamma

Stalker

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Does anyone know why Tyler Florence is not pimped out like the other Food Network talent? Bobby, Giada, Anne, Paula and Alton pop up everywhere, but Tyler is rarely seen. Is his contract up?

Edited by pjamma, Jun 2, 2012 @ 1:23 PM.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

I think most FN hosts appear as much as they want. Tyler does the Food Truck Race show which has been renewed. He's got a lot going on with his business in California. So maybe he wants a life? I don't know how Flay does so much with multiple shows, producing shows, multiple restaurants and so on. Not sure if it's still on, but he was starting a kind of men's lifestyle show on satellite radio. When he was interviewed about that, with the questioner basically asking how he made time for it, he said - I find sleep to be highly overated.

Edited by chessiegal, Jun 2, 2012 @ 12:17 PM.

Tress

Tress

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 10:31 AM

If you want to see Tyler, just turn on FN just about anytime during the day - it seems like everyday they show the grilling special with Tyler, Paula, Bobby, Giada & Alton. Man, is that thing cringe-worthy LOL

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 5, 2012 @ 12:53 PM

If you want to see Tyler, just turn on FN just about anytime during the day - it seems like everyday they show the grilling special with Tyler, Paula, Bobby, Giada & Alton. Man, is that thing cringe-worthy LOL

Ugh, I HATE those specials! Either it's a clip show pulled from various episodes from each "star" or they throw the stars together in the most awkward way possible. FN was running a bunch this morning which I was a little upset about (I like the dichotomy of airing Semi-Ho/MSM right after Barefoot Contessa).

Also, if you want to see Tyler sans the gimmicks, the Cooking Channel airs Tyler's Ultimate a few times a week in the afternoons. The afternoon schedule seems to change or rotate (or whatever) so I don't know what days specifically, but he's on there.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2012 @ 10:22 AM

The Food Network is becoming Game Show Paradise and Re-run Heaven. If there isn't some contest involved in a show, they're not interested. To begin to name them all would be a fruitless exercise, but I think it's sad. With so many outstanding chefs in the world,there's a lot of talent to choose from. Instead, they give us shows like "Cupcake Wars." Granted, I'm a big fan (less so this year) of "Iron Chef" and "Next FN Star," but that doesn't mean I want to watch nearly a whole day of contests, filled in with re-runs. (I've exaggerated a little bit, but I'm trying to make a point!) :)

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 9:40 PM

I was flipping through the cable guide and saw a listing for a new show called Health Inspectors? I get that they're expanding shows to things that a food-related but not necessairly cooking, but I've been particularly annoyed by these "watch people on the job" shows (ice carvers, butchers, etc). But that's far from my biggest problem with this show. Health inspectors? Really FN? I won't eat at a restaurant with less than an A, much less think about why they got it without my stomach turning so I really, really, REALLY don't want to actually see every filthy disgusting, wretched thing wrong with a restaurant on the verge of being shut down.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jun 20, 2012 @ 10:23 PM

Health Inspectors

I just had that on in the background and what I overheard was pretty disgusting.

In perusing FN's forthcoming new programs, it seems like they're tattering the coattails of both Paula Deen and Robert Irvine.

First, Bobby Deen was handed his spin-off show, and now Jamie.

I didn't realize that "Restaurant Impossible," was so popular. Thus far, FN has created THREE new shows that take-off on issues addressed on "RI."

--"Restaurant Insider" (or whatever it's called) that addresses "service" (never watched it)

--"Health Inspectors" -- Obviously, enough people have commented with shock and disbelief about the unsanitary conditions that Robert Irvine discovers during his restaurant makeovers.

--New show with Anne Burrell where chefs audition for positions in restaurants. "Restaurant Impossible," has touched on that as well, in episodes where it was obvious that nobody working in the restaurant had any cooking skills.

So where does that leave "Restaurant Impossible?" Perhaps the "Swan song," was the episode with Michelle Obama. That would be a nice finale.

I don't know what FN is trying to accomplish here. They've more or less taken away all of the hands-on learning cooking shows or dumbed them down (Ina reheating carryout and an upcoming new season of Semi-Homemade -- yeah...) not to mention the endless repeats.

Now, it appears that FN is trying to kill any joy of dining out.

What's left? I guess that I am destined to live on cupcakes alone or see what I can produce out of Calvados, York Peppermint Patties, tempeh and dandelion greens -- whatever is in my pantry.

Edited by grisgris, Jun 21, 2012 @ 6:40 PM.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 12:29 PM

LOL, Grisgris! Ain't that the truth? If it isn't cupcakes, what is it?

I would love to come on this board and write something wonderful about the FN these days, but I can't seem to. It seems like they discourage me with every new show.

Pauler is enough, but now Bobby! Poor Bobby! I think he's spent a lifetime trying to catch up to his mother and his big brother. Now, he has a show of his own. The trouble is that I can't feel close to Bobby. I think he tries too hard. Now, it's big brother Jamie, and per usual, he seems to do things better. If I were forced to watch either show, it would be Jamie's.

Now, the FN has monkeyed with The Next Food Network Star. They've revamped the entire show, and I don't care for the changes. Since I've already written my feelings under that show's thread, I won't repeat them here except to say that this season seems like the worst season yet, especially with Giada's theatrics. And, as someone else wrote, "She's an obnoxious winner and a sore loser."

What will they do next? Have a show starring Michael Gruver?

Edited by Mlle Poilane, Jun 21, 2012 @ 12:30 PM.

dubbel zout

dubbel zout

Stalker

Posted Jun 21, 2012 @ 4:49 PM

What will they do next? Have a show starring Michael Gruver?

Don't give them any ideas, Mlle Poilane! Though I can't imagine the thought hasn't crossed Pauler's mind.

Edited by dubbel zout, Jun 21, 2012 @ 4:49 PM.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 23, 2012 @ 12:56 AM

After Michael, the FN is sure to hire Bodeen and Ladybird. It amazes me that the FN has such a love affair with the entire family.

Edited by Mlle Poilane, Jun 23, 2012 @ 1:00 AM.

tahitigirl

tahitigirl

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 24, 2012 @ 2:01 PM

I caught a little of the Daytime Emmy Awards last night, enough to see Sandra Lee claim one. If that dreck is awarded an Emmy, we're in for more moronic programming.

whitepepper

whitepepper

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 1:02 PM

I caught a little of the Daytime Emmy Awards last night, enough to see Sandra Lee claim one. If that dreck is awarded an Emmy, we're in for more moronic programming.

The sad thing is that Sandra Lee caters to the "real" audience of FN... I've been reading a lot of articles lately (about last few months or so) about how most viewers watch Ina or Anne and go, "Oh, that looks delicious!" and then turn around and heat up a frozen dinner or throw together a casserole of canned veg and condensed soups. Not that there's anything particularly wrong with that, but it seems like more people watch FN to watch other people cook than to invest any time or effort into cooking themselves. Even talking to some of my friends who enjoy watching FN or Cooking Channel confirms this... they love to drool over Giada's pasta w/ short ribs or Ina's roast chicken, but will they actually attempt to make either? Nope. They'd rather throw together something off the back of a Campbell's Soup can.

P.S. Is there any way to snark over some of the commercials FN airs? This whole "Best Thing I Ever Ate"/Doubletree Hotel thing is ridiculous... I know they liked to play the "Short Stories" (commercials/product placement disguised as real content) for a while but the crossovers with real shows is absurd.

Mlle Poilane

Mlle Poilane

Fanatic

Posted Jun 28, 2012 @ 3:37 PM

Whitepepper, I think Susie Fogelson is the person you would write to at the FN. She's VP of Marketing and puts all those commercials together with FN people, I believe.

You hit the nail right on the head with those commercials. I see a FN star, and I think the show has begun again, but it's just a commercial with a 60-second recipe. I get so tired of it. The FN must get a ton of money for them, and they have to give some of it to the "star," but they sure are deceiving. The commercials must be good money-makers as well because if others are like me, I sit up and take notice when I see that a star is on. *sigh* Will the FN every stop conning us?

DuckyinKy

DuckyinKy

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 12:05 PM

Just because it can't be said enough, I despised the Food Network website. It is miserable to work with. I rarely use it but I had to send a banana pudding recipe just now, and it took me 11 attempts to enter the phrase in the box so they would not I was 'not a machine.' The last 5 times even my husband knew we were entering the correct security code. Ridiculous, seriously can they throw a little money to fix it.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 12:23 PM

What's FN's obsession with all of these spin-offs on "Restaurant Impossible?" First it was the undercover "service" show, then "Health Inspectors." (I don't know that those shows are still on, but the ideas were bad enough. I tried to watch Anne Burrell's new show where chefs were auditioning for a job at a Mexican restaurant. When the only female contender (who ironically was Mexican) got chopped, I'd seen enough.

The show was more or less "Chopped" only there was a specific dish each person had to prepare. It was also the typical cast of characters -- obligatory female with a sob-story and trying to revive her career; older-man with an ego the size of Texas and figured he was a shoe-in, new-kid on the block with little relevant experience trying to prove himself, then a fourth guy who was completely forgettable. At least in the one episode I partially watched, the restaurant owner seemed to know what the hell he was doing and had considerable input into tasting and critiquing the efforts. Anne really wasn't that much of a presence. She did a little coaching, but that was about it. I think I'm tired of her, as well. And is "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" gone, too?

Anyway, now Bobby Flay has a new show coming out, "Three Days to Opening." From what I can tell from the promos, is that he helps people literally open a restaurant from the ground up in three days. BF is another one who is also on the fast-track to over-exposure (if he isn't already.)

It's a shame because I like both Bobby and Anne.

So are all of these shows replacements for "Restaurant Impossible?" Did FN or Irvine throw in the towel? It was one of the few shows on FN that I actually watched.

It would be really nice to see some new programming where people actually learned how to COOK something!!!

BTW, Happy Fourth of July, and FN is celebrating with an entire day of "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives!" I think I'll go blow something up! /eyeroll

mousie

mousie

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

I am also disappointed in Anne's new show. It's just a mash up of Chopped, Worst Cooks, Restaurant Impossible, etc. Her talent is really wasted here. I guess it is part of her deal with FN, she has to do a certain amount of time, and this was probably not something she developed. I hope she gets a chance to do another show where she actually cooks.

One thing about "Chef Wanted" is that when one of the challenges is about to end, Anne yells out the final ten second countdown. The SO and I were joking that they didn't have enough money in the budget to get a clocks like the other shows.

Anne's cooking show is still one of my favorites. The DVR picks it up everyday and I watch a few episodes a week, unless it's a rerun that I have seen a million times. I have tried a number of her recipes as well. (Did the cornish games hens under a brick a couple of weeks ago.) Even if I don't cook her exact recipes, watching her show always makes me want to go cook something.

Happy 4th to everyone. The DDD marathon sucks, but I guess we could have predicted it. Cooking Channel is having a Jeffery marathon for competition. Fortunately, I have some friends coming over later so we actually be cooking and watching some fireworks.

vera charles

vera charles

Fanatic

Posted Jul 4, 2012 @ 12:58 PM

Happy Fourth of July, and FN is celebrating with an entire day of "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives!" I think I'll go blow something up!

I just told my husband that FN was showing a DDD marathon and he said, "Again? Or still?" Seems like every time we turn on FN, there is Guy, stuffing something into his craw. And the program guide always lists show after show, like a permanent marathon!