1-11: "The Spoils" 2005.11.13

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

369 replies to this topic

Rhondavous

Rhondavous

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 9:55 PM

Gods, Vorenus nearly chewed through his arm restraining himself at the arena. My own arm has similar teethmarks from that scene. I hope Vorenus and Pullo kiss and make up now.

Edited by Rhondavous, Nov 13, 2005 @ 9:56 PM.

pocha

pocha

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 9:56 PM

Juno's cunt, that was good!

My poor, poor Pullo! Way to teach Vorenus the meaning of loyalty! What a contrast between his barbaric yawps, "Thir-TEEN! Thir-TEEEEEN!!!" and Vorenus's easy corruption of Macius! Oh, man, I'm still shaking!

Dezbot

Dezbot

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 9:57 PM

With the exception of the lovely pre-coitus dance between Atia and Antony (a little blocking, a little slap, a large Antony down your pants!): Daaaamn, that was nasty! Russell Crow ain't got nuthin' on Pullo!

Brutus, Brutus, Brutus, you whiny little fuck. How I wish it were you who were getting stabbed repeatedly on the Ides. You and your craptacular teeth make me ill.

Looks like we're going back to Lucius and Titus sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G. HOORAY!

Overall impression: Daaaamn, that was nasty! But good!

marleyfan

marleyfan

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 9:58 PM

Was it me, or did the scene of Vorenus slicing off the arm of the gladiator remind you of Monty Python? The whole thing was really squeamish.
The woman in the vulgar dress! Way to go!!

Edited by marleyfan, Nov 13, 2005 @ 9:59 PM.

Masked Writer

Masked Writer

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 9:59 PM

Wow... this whole episode... wow. Caesar is becoming more of a @#$%. Pullo goes from bad guy to underdog yet again. Posca is still awesome. And I have never, ever been more in love with Vorenus as I have right now.

I can't even come up with something coherent to say. That's how awesome this episode was.

Kataroo

Kataroo

Channel Surfer

The first time I've cried during Rome....When Titus made an offering for Eirene's long life and his good friend Vorenus. sniff.

Caroma

Caroma

Fanatic

Now starring Ray Stevenson as Titus Kiddo! Yikes!

Thought we were going to get the Ides tonight, though. It's not like anybody will be surprised, except maybe Caesar.

ETA: Did the hooker slaves steal the bracelet Pullo had given Eirene (and which she presumably threw back in his face?)

Poor beautiful yet vulgar Kaylee--uhm, Niobe.

Edited by Caroma, Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:01 PM.

nellyhug

nellyhug

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:02 PM

My own arm has similar teethmarks from that scene

so do mine. I was just about to cry during that scene. Well they had better kiss and make-up.

So JC and Posca and Erastes.... JC you are such an ass.
Posca still rocks

Not enough Octavian...

pontoon

pontoon

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:04 PM

Mad props to the decapitation / arm wound / knee chop / general mayhem FX guys on this episode.

13th! Da Bears!

Stella Polaris

Stella Polaris

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:03 PM

Yeah, it was great! Best part being Pullo is still with us.

Now, some questions for you Rome buffs:
Was there a certain number of gladiators you had to work your way through to win a reprieve? Or was it the crowd or some administrator who decided?
Could anyone jump in and help like Vorenus did? If so, why didn't the guys from the 13th think of doing that?

Thanks. The minute the episode was over I headed for my computer!

pocha

pocha

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:03 PM

Juno's cunt, that was good!

My poor, poor Pullo! Way to teach Vorenus the meaning of loyalty! What a contrast between his barbaric yawps, "Thir-TEEN! Thir-TEEEEEN!!!" and Vorenus's easy corruption of Macius! Oh, man, I'm still shaking!

And poor Niobe. This is the first time I've ever felt really sorry for her. Not as much as Pullo, of course; but her behavior both before and after Atia's "symposium" (Hee!) was too touching. It's not easy, all that social climbing, and while she's obviously lusting for money, she even more obviously hadn't reckoned with the circles in which her newly exalted hubby would be moving. Now the good folks of the Aventine really have something to hang over her head. A son whose father is not her husband is one thing; a cuckholded magistrate is another matter entirely. Wonder if that's why the snarky bitches came to visit, and why she gave them money?

Gory, gory episode. Fantastic, but bloody. I may not sleep tonight.

CheshrKat

CheshrKat

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:04 PM

I was riveted from beginning to end of tonight's episode. I was out of the country last week and missed what sounds like an amazing episode, but I can't imagine that this week was much of a letdown. The gradual corruption of Lucius Veronus has been amazing to watch, and I loved the way he ran into the arena to defend Pullo (and, I imagine, regain some of his honour, at least in his own mind).

And I can't help myself - I find Atia/Marc Antony to be unbearably hot together, and even though I know he historically ends up with Octavia, it just won't be the same.

I do feel bad for Brutus, though. The portrayal here reminds me greatly of the character of Judas in "Jesus Christ Superstar". I do believe he both loves Caesar "as a father", and is also genuinely revolted by his assumption of absolute power. And in the end, he's being manipulated by all sides.

Loved Octavian asking Caesar straight out whether he had that guy killed! And equally loved the way Caesar calmly lied about it. I believed him right up until Posca delivered the payment!

Only one more week - I'm going to miss this show so much more than I could have imagined when I watched the premiere.

Masked Writer

Masked Writer

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:07 PM

Wonder if that's why the snarky bitches came to visit, and why she gave them money?

That's what I thought, because when they were going down the stairs snarking, they shut up when they saw Vorenus.

crystalsage

crystalsage

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:08 PM

Was it me, or did the scene of Vorenus slicing off the arm of the gladiator remind you of Monty Python?

I started to laugh, expecting the gladiator to start dancing around, taunting Pullo some more. Caesar is starting to look like Al Swearingen with his machinations. Liked the way the crowd starting yelling "Pull-o, Pull-o" as they left the arena. Like the WWF-BC Style.

catrina

catrina

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:09 PM

Damn Titus Pullo is one bad mamajama! Although I have to say I was a little worried about Vorenous surviving his wounds. He seemed to have gotten some gut stab by the mace, maybe it wasn't too deep but Titus cleary had some kind of side wound as well.

Pretty much any wound could be fatal in the days before pencillian, and any stab that was too deep might cause internal injuries. But he's TITUS PULLO BY JUNO and I doubt any little thing like germs is going to do him in.

Caroma

Caroma

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:09 PM

ETA: Obviously I missed Erastes and Posca together. D'oh!

<clubs self in head with large mace>

Edited by Caroma, Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:18 PM.

lourawls

lourawls

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:11 PM

Zoinks, that was a great episode! And I never say zoinks. My boyfriend had to tell me to keep it down, I was yelling so much.

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

I'm new to this show. I thought that Brutus and Caesar were closer. I mean, Caesar doesn't seem to like Brutus that much. I can't believe Caesar asking him to leave town for a year is all it took to make Brutus turn. What a crazy little bitch.

Caesar is a total shit though. It's funny because in another episode, even Marc Antony was looking at him like he was a total asshole.

I totally hate Servila. No wonder her boy is so whiny! She is not the first person to ever be dumped. She seemed so nice and reasonable in the beginning. I hope she lives long enough to see all her evil plans come to fruition, only to have her son die because of it. Not that she would care very much.

wrxfanatic

wrxfanatic

Couch Potato

Great show! But I was disappointed in Ocatavian. I expected a brilliant scheme, but all he came up with was hiring an incompetent lawyer. He should have known that Caesar was behind it and figured out an indirect method of getting Pullo out of there. And can Lucius just walk away with him like that?

So what is Brutus' excuse for turning on Caesar now? That Caesar offered him an honorable way of extricating himself from those that are plotting against him? Does he figure that Caesar will kill him now because he rejected Caesar's offer? That makes more sense. Honor or insult does not motivate him -- it's all about survival.

So many questions. But still, a great episode. Lots of action. If it had had sex and nudity, it would have been perfect.

And glad to see MA and Atia together again. We need at least one hot couple in this show.

And my everlasting disappointment that Erastes Fulmen is Caesar's man, that he and Posca "drink from the same cup." I really wanted to see him get the axe.

catrina

catrina

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:14 PM

Hey Amelie06 you missed the part where Brutus went to war against Ceasar which probably ticked him off.

Although I have to say the father/son diamension of the story is something I never thougth about since it wasn't in Shakespeare. But damn Tobias Menzies need to stop acting through his teeth. I know he's British but its like his teeth were going to eat his face.

Rhondavous

Rhondavous

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:16 PM

But damn Tobias Menzies need to stop acting through his teeth. I know he's British but its like his teeth were going to eat his face.

Word. Brutus' teeth are scarier than facing Pullo in the arena.

parpar

parpar

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:20 PM

Wow.. wow.

Wonderful build. You start to hope that Caesar or Vorenus will pardon Pullo. Then Octavian, oddly enough. And then the kid lawyer.. I was waiting with baited breath for him to turn out to be some legendary legal eagle. To sway the crowd with his underdog speech, as in so many other movies. Only to have our hopes crushed like that roach in Pullo's hands. What a pitiful, pitiful scene, his sacrifice.

And more pathetic his refusal to fight. The cut-to shot of the three dopes standing there, "Oh c'mon.. just pick it up and stand up, maybe take a swing, it's all you've got ta do." It was almost funny.

Oh, man.. you knew it was bad when Lucius Vorenus looked like he might cry.

I knew Pullo couldn't die there, but even so, I felt for him. The gruesome and startling violence made me believe for a minute that something terrible and degrading was going to happen when that leather harness death's-head mace man stepped out, grim and unrelenting.

I think what followed is my "Hell yeah" television moment of the year.

XIII! XIII!

Aunt Nette

Aunt Nette

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:22 PM

I love Titus Pullo so much, I'm building me a time travel machine, going back to Rome, and nursing him back to health. I'm going to feed him extra juicy mice, too.

Question: was he the one humming in the first scene? Because in a later scene, he tells the other guy to stop with the humming, and then, once again, he's humming by himself in his prison cell.

Never mind all the political machinations and erotic undertones, I get hung up in silly details like this.

Edited by Aunt Nette, Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:31 PM.

blackwing

blackwing

Stalker

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:28 PM

Great episode. I almost cried when Vorenus jumped into the arena to save Pullo's life. I'm sure there will be consequences, because he was going against Caesar's orders. From the previews, unfortunately, it looks like Niobe may suffer. Poor woman.

Atia and Antony are good together.

Brutus is a whiny snivelling prick.

AureliaJustinia

AureliaJustinia

Video Archivist

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:31 PM

What an EXCELLENT episode!!! Last week's left me really depressed, but there's nothing like a kick-a$$ gladiator fight to brighten my day. Seriously, it probably was over-the-top with the violence (like Vorenus shoving that mace into the guy's shoulder), but who cares??? I love a good fight, and Pullo was in top form knocking those guys around like he did.

And Vorenus and Pullo -- together again. Aaaahhhhhh!!!!

And was it just me, but when he cut off the guy's arm (and blood spurted out), was anyone else thinking of that scene from Monty Python's the Holy Grail?? (I almost expected him to say, " 'Tis merely a flesh wound"!)

"drink from the same cup."

Thanks -- I was wondering why they were focusing on the cup in that manner, and this explains it. So disappointing to see the beloved Posca having to deal with vermin like Erastes.

I also liked the contrast between Niobe acting like an upper-class lady in front of Mrs. Kravus, but then feeling totally out-of-place at Atia's.

And Octavian -- LOVED how he tried to save Pullo, but really -- Timon?!?!?!? Servillia's head slave-woman would have done a better job somehow.

Brutus's teeth are scary. I found myself focusing on them when I knew I shouldn't have been.

ETA

Was it me, or did the scene of Vorenus slicing off the arm of the gladiator remind you of Monty Python?

Sorry -- just saw this now. Yes, Marleyfan, I was with you on that one!

Edited by AureliaJustinia, Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:36 PM.

neciamorris

neciamorris

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:41 PM

He seemed to have gotten some gut stab by the mace, maybe it wasn't too deep but Titus cleary had some kind of side wound as well.

I thought so too, but when Vorenous pushed the mace into the other gladiator's neck you could tell that mace didn't have any spikes at the top and Vorenous was hit in the midsection by the top of the mace.

So what is Brutus' excuse for turning on Caesar now? That Caesar offered him an honorable way of extricating himself from those that are plotting against him? Does he figure that Caesar will kill him now because he rejected Caesar's offer? That makes more sense. Honor or insult does not motivate him -- it's all about survival.

I think it is about insult and not about survival. If he had reason to fear Ceasar, he wouldn't have gotten the Macedonian offer. I don't think Brutus is in fear for his safety, I think he's humiliated and under JC's thumb and everyone is pulling at him. JC doesn't want him as a partner, he has MA. He wants him a symbol of his conquest and to lend legitimacy to his position. The anti-Caesar crowd also want him for his name, but they want him to act. Much more manly. Not that I think he's anything but a whiny little bitch, but the poor thing doesn't have a lot choices for how he was going to turn out. Look at his mother.

I can't wait for next week, but I'm sure I'll be watching through my fingers. Brutus going on about dealing with Lucius Vorenous does not bode well for Niobe. At least he'll have his BFF to help him through the rough patch.

movieman

movieman

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:44 PM

Damn. What a great episode. Best of the season.

First off, I totally did not see Caesar paying off Erastes at the end. He had me believing that he had nothing to do with it. I don't know why but I believed him.
And I like how Vorenous and Niobe went to Atia's party. I think next season they will integrate all the characters so they all know each other personally but still have seperate stories to go on.
Also, I think I saw the best scene in tv history with Caesar and Brutus playing the board game. That scene was beautifully shot. They cut from face to face. I loved how they both acknolodged the father/son relationship but it was too late to lean on it for support.
I like the way that they give Caesar scenes to show that he is a good person and a good "dictator" then at the end of them he says something that makes him look like an asshole. The first time I noticed it was when he was talking to Antony about playing god and Caesar said he wasn't playing. The facial expression on Antony was priceless. I really wonder why he stays with him after all this. And then again, with Brutus when they were playing that board game. You could really see that Caesar was at least a little afraid of what he had been hearing. The way Brutus reacted was perfect.

Only a tyrent worries about a tryrents death

or something along those lines. EXCELLENT EPISODE!!!

yolliebear

yolliebear

Fanatic

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:45 PM

Longtime lurker, here. About tonight's episode........ What in the name of Dis was that???? I am in the minority here, it was WAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY over the top. The beginning of the ep was wonderful with the political machinations, the deadly but sensual dance with Atia and MA. Hoo boy, that gladiator part with Pullo??? "Thiirteeeen!!! Thirteeeen!" I was thinking, was he Rambo's ancestor???

Oh yes, FREE CIARAN! Too bad it's going to be his swan song, next ep, he makes middle age, sexicilious.

MirabileDictu

MirabileDictu

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:47 PM

How the scene SHOULD have been:

Caesar: Brutus, I want you to be governor of Macedonia.
Brutus: Why?
Caesar: Because I suspect your teeth are plotting against me.

I am totally unconvinced by the "breakup" scene of Caesar and Brutus. Brutus was so angry at Cassius for his suggestion to kill Caesar earlier in the show, almost came to blows with him. In the final scene, he was so convinced to go forward with the assassination because...why? Because Caesar beat him at no-limit Texas hold em (or its Roman equivalent, that silly checkers game)? Because Caesar offered him a great way out that benefitted them both? What was so earth-shattering that changed his mind in the course of a single episode? I'm not feelin' it, folks.

Now starring Ray Stevenson as Titus Kiddo!

Laughing my ass off, Caroma ! Did anyone else want Pullo to shout, "Are you not entertained?" I certainly was, what a great episode.

Edited by MirabileDictu, Nov 13, 2005 @ 11:05 PM.

empedocles

empedocles

Channel Surfer

Posted Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:48 PM

That episode was fantastic.

I have loved the slow change of the Vorenus household living quarters over the last several episodes.

I loved that Vorenus now has clients. I loved when he noted that they get peevish when they aren't seen in the proper order [I think it was a status / protocol thing].

I loved the lawyers shouting for work.

I loved the Roman legal system.

And it looks like all the parts of Gladiator that Scott's editing kept us from seeing were dumped into that last scene. The shield decapitation was a particular favorite of mine.

Unlike many other posters, I get the Brutus thing. The entire city, from his mother on down, along with 500 years of family history are weighing on this guy to turn against Caesar - but he hasn't. But then Caesar doesn't trust him anyway. Brutus no doubt figures that sending him to Macedonia is a prelude to permanent exile, which was just about the worst punishment short of proscription that a Roman of his rank could be given. And he also seems the sort that when he's not trusted, he sets out to give you a reason not to trust him.

Edited by empedocles, Nov 13, 2005 @ 10:50 PM.