Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team

• Please log in to reply

11168 replies to this topic

beezer

beezer

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2009 @ 9:04 PM

Did the one who dared to say (*gasp*) that she'd make the uniform rather than the other way around make it through? I can't really keep track of their names...though, granted, I haven't tried all that hard!

I too thought the answer was "supposed" to be that the girls make the uniform - in the 'the uniform is an iconic piece of fashion but it's the women like myself, committed to bringing it to life with our unending perk, drive to disturbing sameness and unintentional consumption of our own hair who make it the international symbol for cheese and silicone it is,' way.

When the first one said the uniform makes the girl (and seriously, it bothers me that this entire dog and pony show is run by women who refer to grown women as 'girls,' perpetually. Not that everyone doesn't say 'oh, I'm meeting the girls for lunch,' or whatever but it's supposed to be a professional thing and I'd never ask a grown woman if the uniform makes 'the girl,' they're women.) I was like oops, dopey, but then she was right.

Kilgore's main claim to fame is the great town it was-- during the 1930s oil boom. If you visit, that's pretty much all they talk about in addition to the Rangerettes. It's very much a city living in the distant past. Similarly, Dallas was a great city back in the 1970s and even the 1980s but it's pretty much living in the past lately, and the DCCs are one great thing the city can continue to promote for itself. Texas may run out of oil, but it will never run out of hair spray and silicone.

This makes sense, thanks. Texas is... incomprehensible and frightening to me to begin with and this show does not alleviate that in any way, heh.

Edited by beezer, Oct 18, 2009 @ 9:05 PM.

nunuish

nunuish

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 18, 2009 @ 9:56 PM

The link for the girls that made it to training camp, posted earlier... http://www.dallascow...BE9ED60B853BBEB

I wonder why the minchew sisters aren't listed, yet are pictured? Thoughts?

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2009 @ 10:09 PM

Add me to those who are surprised the Pagent Sisters made it in to training camp. The first one's answer to the conflict problem was "I'll cross that bridge when I come to it". WTF? I cannot believe Kelly admitted her with that answer! Also, what is with her not knowing for sure if the one is "fake"? How do they know for sure if ANY of these girls are "fake"? I have to admit, I am looking forward to seeing Kelly confront her about it though.

I am surprised that Laura Buttmaster or whatever her name is (the noodle) made it in to camp. I predict she will be the first one cut. Her dancing isn't near as good as the other girls, IMO.

weenerdog

weenerdog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 18, 2009 @ 10:24 PM

Menchew Girls Spoiler:

I was looking at the squad pic on the DCC website and the Pageant Girls aren't there. They didn't make it.

Fergula

Fergula

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 18, 2009 @ 10:29 PM

I want to know what happened to that red-headed girl, Katie (?) who was let go from training camp last year because she had the odd shaped behind. I don't recall seeing any footage of her in this episode. I was rooting for her.

Those Minchew sisters are an interesting pair to analyze. From the scenes that they've shown it seems as if the taller, and I think more conventionally prettier, one is the alpha female. How hard it would be for that shorter sister. Go do something different than your sister, girl, you're not conjoined twins!

How can Sunni look so much younger this year? I'm rooting for her too. Some of the judges seemed kind of dismissive of her, however. "What will she do different this year?" Nothing like keeping an open mind about those who return to tryouts.

MissusDe

MissusDe

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 18, 2009 @ 10:50 PM

Last year a girl was let go who was told by Kelli and Judy that they really wanted her to come back this year, and Judy even came around the desk and gave her a hug. That's not something I've ever seen them do - sometimes they've said that with extra practice maybe a girl would have a better chance, etc. But they were really emphatic about this girl. Does anyone remember who she was? She was blonde but for some reason I'm don't think it was Sunni.

nunuish

nunuish

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 18, 2009 @ 11:07 PM

Last year a girl was let go who was told by Kelli and Judy that they really wanted her to come back this year, and Judy even came around the desk and gave her a hug. That's not something I've ever seen them do - sometimes they've said that with extra practice maybe a girl would have a better chance, etc. But they were really emphatic about this girl. Does anyone remember who she was? She was blonde but for some reason I'm don't think it was Sunni.

I'm pretty sure that was Jaime Rae. Didn't see her back this year, along with no Alyssa Sarasani. I liked her a lot.

lyra407

lyra407

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

There was a little elfin looking red-headed girl who made the team a year ago, I think. Did anybody see her among the returning veterans?

SixDegrees

SixDegrees

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 12:14 AM

I know one girl that Judy hugged was Kalli Fullerton from Season 1, but she never came back.

One thing that I don't get is...Sunni Cranfill was in Season 1, which was for the 2006-07 season. In that season she claimed to be 28 years old. yet the current official website says the cheerleaders range in age from 18 to 29. How can Sunni be under 29 when she was 28 three years ago?].

ITA on the Minchew sisters. When the one who is the current Miss Louisiana said she'd have to give up her crown "some Sunday in November" how could she not have been cut right then and there, not knowing there could be a football game at that time? She clearly had not thought of that or even checked to see if there'd be a home game that day. The Minchews bug me because they are clearly only interested in DCC for its prestige; they do not seem in any way to care about the team. The other one said her pageant would be in June and when Judy said 'you'll have no free time in June" she just kinda froze.

I can't believe they sent away a veteran to make room for the Minchews, who both quit training camp.

Edited by SixDegrees, Oct 19, 2009 @ 12:18 AM.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 7:39 AM

The black bars are killing me! I am dying to know whats going to happen with the Minchews! I know it will ruin the fun if I read them, but it's so hard! *stamps foot*

I was glad Sunni made it back to training camp. I liked her last year and I'll be routing for her to go all the way this year.

BuyMoreMakeup

BuyMoreMakeup

Video Archivist

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 9:16 AM

How can Sunni look so much younger this year?

Whatever she is paying her aesthitician and nutritionist is not enough. At least I'm assuming that it's the result of micro-dermabrasion, quitting smoking, and drinking more water. She actually looks her age now! I'm sad for Sunni watching these episodes. She's wanting so badly for Kelli and Judy to say how great she looks, and they will not throw her a bone.

ladyrott

ladyrott

Stalker

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 9:24 AM

Someone help my memory...was Sunni eliminated last year because of her stamina or a body issue? I cannot for the life of me remember...

weenerdog

weenerdog

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 9:26 AM

Did the Minchew girls quit, or were they released?

sweetlouisiana

sweetlouisiana

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 9:32 AM

Sunni was 23 in 2003 when she won Miss Texas. That would make her 29 this year.

If you want to see what's under the black bars, scroll over them with your mouse.

I also went back and watched the first episode, and it sure looked like Kelli was voting no for Sunni the first go-around.

Edited by sweetlouisiana, Oct 19, 2009 @ 9:36 AM.

SixDegrees

SixDegrees

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 9:53 AM

It was a stamina thing, or so they said.

And you're right about Sunni, I realized it was last year she tried out and said she was 28, for some reason I was thinking she was from Season 1.

Sunni reminds me of Natalie Woods from S1/S2. Both are on the cusp of aging out of being a DCC and this is something they want so badly. She's at the end of her pageant years and while she looks great, she's on the cusp of 30. She can only be a 'girl' for so long. I'm guessing that she'll be a one year girl and probably advised to not try out again in 2011.

I thought Lauren Castillo's answer about her "making the uniform" was dumb, only because she was a returning veteran and should have known the right answer. It's weird that Jay would have set her up like that (as Kelli claimed he did...something like you put her in front of a landmine and she stepped on it) given that she was a veteran. It seems in previous years vets get cut for being outcompeted as dancers or gaining weight, never seen it happen in the interview process. They claimed it was her dancing not 'wowing' them but i think it was implied it that answer about the uniform was her downfall.

This is just a guess, but I wonder if one of the Minchews was getting cut and the other quit b/c they'd intended to do it together. I'm still shocked they made training camp given their pageant committments and obvious inability to have thought about how to combine the 2 things. Or maybe they feared getting cut and both quit.

Also it was asked upthread about the Minchews not being named on the site but their pictures being there, maybe it is because they both quit the first night?

Edited by SixDegrees, Oct 19, 2009 @ 9:56 AM.

OHNicki

OHNicki

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 11:17 AM

I read the article written by the judge and I was really surprised to see that they have invited 44 girls to camp and they have spots for as many as 40 girls this year - although they have not decided if they are going to increase the squad from 36 to 40 yet. I am surprised they didn't add a few more girls to training camp just so Kelli could crush them!

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 11:45 AM

There is a really good behind the scenes article by Kristi Scales, Sideline Reporter for The Dallas Cowboys Radio Network, here

Thanks for sharing that Gillis. There are really some interesting tidbits to be sussed out there. I'm willing to guess they didn't show the guy who auditioned because they don't want a bunch of guys to show up next year just to get on TV. Although I don't understand the point of the show-of-hands vote if everything's tabulated by computer anyway. I could see debating contestants who are on the bubble, but going through every one seems like a waste of time.

And seeing how much the show influences the process, I'm working up some conspiracy theories. I think CMT or the DCC organization invited the Minchews to audition when everyone knew they wouldn't be able to actually do it to generate drama for the show. The sisters get exposure, the show gets drama, and Kelli and Judy get to rip on beauty queens.

SixDegrees

SixDegrees

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 1:26 PM

I'd hate to think the show influences the process, really. I mean we can make fun of them all we want, this is certainly the most famous squad in pro sports and certainly the only one with the movie those of us older posters recall from the 1980 season, the only ones on the "Love Boat" and the one that CMT even bothered with. I mean I doubt a show about the Viking Cheerleaders would even get past network development no matter how competitive their process.

This squad does have a history and a certain mystique about it---to think the presence of a reality show would influence how they choose the cheerleaders would bug me.

Gingi1976

Gingi1976

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 1:55 PM

I think the Minchew sisters were invitied into camp and either quit or were released VERY early in the process. Before the names of the training camp candidates were released to the media. That's why they are in the picture but their names were removed from the release. As I recall, the picture was released before the names.

Personally, I can't believe the Minchew sisters made it to training camp. Their general level of committment doesn't seem that high if they are so blase about bailing out on their pageant responsibilities. If I interviewed someone for a job and they showed such a callous disregard for other committments they have (personally or professionally) I wouldn't hire them. Why take the risk that they would show that same disrespect to me? If picked for the DCC, who is to say they wouldn't resign early if a better opportunity came along? This kind of behavior speak volumes to me about a person's character (which is probably why I despise Sarah Palin!). And neither girl knew the date of when they would have to surrender their crown. Riiiiight. . . .

Edited by Gingi1976, Oct 19, 2009 @ 1:56 PM.

Fergula

Fergula

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 2:06 PM

After the announcement of some of the picks who made it to training camp I too am convinced that "making good television" trumps actual ability. The inclusion of Rachel Buckmeister in training camp was the kicker (pun intended) for me. How does "wet noodle" and "low energy" make it? Oh wait, she looks like a famous actress. And by the way, do kids now a days even know who Laura Dern is?

And both Minchew sisters make it despite "one clearly is a better dancer", and what was shown neither sister was a stand out.

I want to believe the picks are based solely on talent, appropriate body type, and wow-factor, you know, the important criteria in life. But alas it's not true.

SixDegrees

SixDegrees

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 4:27 PM

Well two things about that. One is something Kelli said along the lines of it's not about picking the 36 most beautiful girls, it's about making a team. They need some sort of variety as far as personality, body type, general appearance. Yes they're all super thin, but think about the differences between say, Brooke Sorenson and Nicole Hamilton. They're both standouts but very different. Megan Fox was always a star but she was different in looks and general demeanor from somebody like Mackenzie. Additionally they're probably looking for girls who are real "team player" types. There may be stuff we dont' see like a girl lending another girl some hairspray or helping her stretch or learn a dance combination; they probably look for that type of attitude.

Another thing is they may see potential is some girls that we don't see. Figure they've been doing this a long time and have an idea of what they can "work with" and maybe improve. There are some dramatic makeovers regarding personal appearance (think Leah Mullinax or Jordyn Kethchum) and some girls who try out more than once and get cut due to poor dance technique that gets improved on the next year.

Gillis

Gillis

Just Tuned In

Posted Oct 19, 2009 @ 11:33 PM

I mean I doubt a show about the Viking Cheerleaders would even get past network development no matter how competitive their process.

I can remember seeing a couple one episode shows about 2 other squads. They came out around the time or just before the first Making the Team show. I think one was for Miami, maybe.

Their try out is basically similar to the DCC up to the finals portion. There are no training camp cuts. The squad is announced right at the finals. One was even filmed in a mall.

It was interesting because one veteran cheerleader from Kentucky did stand up comedy for her talent. It was definately a different type of show.

Of course, I haven't seen anything since then.

tinabee

tinabee

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 3:48 AM

Miami Dolphins, Tampa Bay Bucs and the Chargers all had DVD's from NFL Network profiling the audition process for the cheerleaders. They were very well produced programs. The stand up comedian was from Brunswick, GA.

I wish CMT would have picked a format similar to the aforementioned DVD specials. Just give us three one hour specials, and be done with it. The half hour format over a period of eight or so weeks is too ADHD enabling, to me. And whenever a cliffhanger clip is shown at the tail end of the credits, it always manages to fall flat when the reality of the situation is shown the next week.

I was watching the 2006 DCC/MTT on YouTube, and it was far superior to what is going on with this season. About the only one I'm really rooting for is Sunni. I think she looks great this year.

SixDegrees

SixDegrees

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 7:43 AM

Those other programs were one shot deals though...more like a fluff news piece. This is a drawn out drama over the DCC....because it's the DCC. I doubt too many girls travel across the country to audition for the Bucs, although I read someplace that there are actually girls who do go around to different teams auditioning.

I actually think that's one thing I'd have a problem with if I were Kelli and especially Charlotte. I would not allow anyone on the DCC who'd been on another NFL squad because I would think it looked too fake. I mean you're a cheerleader, right? You're supposed to be all about the Cowboys. I would not want somebody who'd been on the sidelines of another team cheering for them.

missknowitall

missknowitall

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 8:45 AM

I want to know what happened to that red-headed girl, Katie (?) who was let go from training camp last year because she had the odd shaped behind. I don't recall seeing any footage of her in this episode.

I was rooting for her too. Unfortunately, she didn't make training camp.

There was a little elfin looking red-headed girl who made the team a year ago, I think. Did anybody see her among the returning veterans?

That's Erica. She didn't return this year. I believe someone said upthread that she was encouraged not to try out again.

OHNicki

OHNicki

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 9:43 AM

The inclusion of Rachel Buckmeister in training camp was the kicker (pun intended) for me. How does "wet noodle" and "low energy" make it? Oh wait, she looks like a famous actress.

I think Rachel is one of those candidates they hope they can turn into a great dancer. She is extremely tall and has long legs and would look great in the kick line. She has the basic skills. I can't wait to see if she makes it to the final squad.

Reality Chaser

Reality Chaser

Fanatic

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 10:16 AM

I would not allow anyone on the DCC who'd been on another NFL squad because I would think it looked too fake. I mean you're a cheerleader, right? You're supposed to be all about the Cowboys. I would not want somebody who'd been on the sidelines of another team cheering for them.

"Cheer Whore!"

SleepyJean

SleepyJean

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 11:30 AM

I would not allow anyone on the DCC who'd been on another NFL squad because I would think it looked too fake. I mean you're a cheerleader, right? You're supposed to be all about the Cowboys. I would not want somebody who'd been on the sidelines of another team cheering for them.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "fake," but I disagree. The football players change teams, don't they? Coaches and managers change teams. Hell, everyone changes teams. So why not the entertainment?
I think a girl from another team would be more polished, have more experience, and understand the requirements of the job (esp time commitment), than some 18 year old fresh out of a Dallas area high school.

Anyway, the DCC are dancers, not professional rah rah cheerleaders whose job is to make pyramids and root for the team.

sweetlouisiana

sweetlouisiana

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 12:23 PM

The players, coaches, etc. switch teams because those are their high-paying, full-time JOBS. The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders make fifty dollars a game. I think it's strange to move to a new city to be an NFL dancer (a la the Michews), unless you have some other reason for going there, like a new job, existing family/friends, or a new university.

nunuish

nunuish

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 20, 2009 @ 1:09 PM

man, i can't wait till we find out what happens to the minchews. i feel like it will be a classic moment on DCC. i can already see the bitchface and squinty eyes involved :D