Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team

• Please log in to reply

11164 replies to this topic

texaslynn

texaslynn

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 25, 2005 @ 10:01 PM

My husband and I were saying the same thing. Kelli went on and on about the MILLIONS of people who would see them on TV, but they rarely show any of the dances during a football broadcast. We did spot Deanna (girl that Kelli sneered was "out of shape") on the Thanksgiving day Dallas game. They actually showed the halftime show since it was a special occasion and we spotted her!! They only showed her from the neck up for about two seconds so we couldn't tell if she lost that "extra weight" or not.

OHNicki

OHNicki

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 28, 2005 @ 12:45 PM

I finally saw it!!! Then, of course, I was glued to the half-time show on Thanksgiving trying to spot any of the girls from the show. Yeah, 80 million people were watching - and saw you for maybe 3 seconds girls!

Hailey

Hailey

Fanatic

Posted Nov 28, 2005 @ 12:56 PM

We did spot Deanna (girl that Kelli sneered was "out of shape") on the Thanksgiving day Dallas game.

We spotted her too! I thought she looked beautiful. She has one of those faces that light up when she smiles. We also saw red-haired Misty and poor, old, Omarosa.

RaiSunshine

RaiSunshine

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 7, 2005 @ 5:02 PM

I have never been a fan of professional cheerleaders. After watching "Making The Team", my opinion has not changed.

Kelli - the Queen bitch was a piece of work. It puzzles how somebody could devote themselves to something as superficial as the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.

Elizabeth - one of my favorites in the show. She, IMHO, was unfairly cut. What in the hell is a "wow factor". Melissa was no dime piece, so I guess Kelli like Melissa "story" better.

Melissa - Jersey girl was cool, but her dancing was not up to par. I'm sure it hurt Elizabeth that Melissa was kept, and not her.

Deanna was just adorable, and not fat. I could have slapped Kelli for riding Deanna about her weight. I hope Deanna is not suffering from any weight issues.

Whitney had cheered a few years earlier, but an eating disorder caused her to leave the team.

Jennifer Hill is in no way 24. That chick looks about 35, and she does resemble Omarose. She may be a nice gal, but I found her voice and personality grating. There was an air of phoniness about her.

Last but not least, those two dummies..Shannon and Trish. I was so embarressed with Shannon could not discuss one current event. The answer Trish gave about caring for the uniform goes down in the "air head hall of fame".

SamPJackson

SamPJackson

Posted Dec 8, 2005 @ 11:14 AM

It appears to me that producers and directors are calling for FEWER shots of cheerleaders at pro games than they used to. Has anyone other than Paula Abdul been "discovered" cheering / dancing for a pro sports team?

After years of intense reasearch, I still have a question:
these girls are obviously wearing some kind of stockings/tights.
How does that work with the low-waisted shorts? Are the stockings
sewn to the legs of the shorts, or does someone make low-rise tights just
for these types of uniforms?

astaire

astaire

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2006 @ 1:35 PM

Head's up for anyone who missed the show or wants to watch it again. It's airing tonight(Tuesday) at 10:00pm.

SamPJackson low rise dance tights are availabe at most dance retailers.

SamPJackson

SamPJackson

Posted Jan 3, 2006 @ 11:18 PM

How 'bout that. Thought I knew a lot about women's underwear.
I study a lot, and am a quick learner.

luckyroll3

luckyroll3

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2006 @ 8:48 PM

Had to bump this thread....

VH1 is now running this show, which I'm so happy about because I don't get CMT in Miami.

I felt the need to comment on the girl who did the PeeWee Herman knee dance as part of her free-style audition. What a hoot! Bad decision making on her part.

sadierossard

sadierossard

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2006 @ 9:12 PM

VH1 is now running this show, which I'm so happy about because I don't get CMT in Miami

Thanks for the heads-up. The past three times I've been able to catch this show was for the last 1/2 hour.
A few months ago I watched a mini-series on the Miami Dolphin cheerleader tryouts on, I think, the NFL channel (?). I can't seem to find a thread for that show, tho.

chickieloveknit

chickieloveknit

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2006 @ 10:41 PM

I can understand the drama involved in trying out for and/or getting cut from your High school cheerleading squad......because you're in High school! But come on, these are grown women, get over it!

Did anyone spot any actual dancing here? Prancing yes, but dancing, hell no! Which is actually pretty shocking seeing as so many Texas girls are immersed in gymnastics/cheerleading/dancing classes from the day they are born.

Man, those shorts are small.

luckyroll3

luckyroll3

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2006 @ 9:28 AM

Man, those shorts are small.

Seriously. I hate that that Kelly bitch kept telling that beautiful hispanic girl that she was fat all because she actually had hips and an ass. The girl was 118lbs! And she looked great.

I loved the girl who couldn't remember any current events or team stats, especially when she started begging to not be cut the entire time they were telling her she was cut. Plus, why were her eyebrows maroon? That was highly distracting.

Gingi

Gingi

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2006 @ 10:26 AM

I've seen this special one too many times and it kills me every time when I hear Whitney talk about how hard it will be to cheer and be a single mom. Sorry honey, how hard can it be to live with mom and dad in a nice house in the Dallas suburbs and have them help you raise your kid? There is nothing wrong with this, but don't complain about being a single mom. I'd like to see her try and cheer for DCC while also having to make enough $$ for rent and childcare. Or having to miss practice because her daughter is sick. People are A LOT worse off.

You know the girl who begged not be cut? Anyone else think it had more to do with the fact that she was not the sharpest tool in the shed?

cheer67

cheer67

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 6, 2006 @ 11:10 AM

Just saw this on VH1 for the first time last night. Goodness, the whole thing was hella creepy to me. When they were doing their first round dancing, all I could think was that the vast majority of them looked like pole dancers. And the outfits! Haha.
From WAY back a couple of months ago:

What's great is this program works on both levels. You know there are thousands of high school cheerleaders and dance team members watching this and taking notes, thinking it's a free Kaplan course for how to reach their greatest aspiration.

I don't know about others, but my daughter is a competitive cheerleader, who is being looked at by colleges for scholarships and she watched with me, and she would NEVER want to do that kind of "cheerleading". It is NOT cheerleading to her at all!

ETA: That Kelly Finglass chick-what a raging bitch she is. Good God, she never cared an iota and definitely doesn't have the empathy/compassion genes. That other blonde lady with her that never talked to the group, she was pretty sweet to the girls when they were cut or warned, she would try to spin it as something positive, but that Kelly, holy crap.

Edited by cheer67, Feb 6, 2006 @ 11:45 AM.

IvySpice

IvySpice

Fanatic

Posted Feb 6, 2006 @ 11:40 AM

From the first time I saw this thread, it was a dream in my heart that someday I would get to see the show. And I didn't give upl I don't get CMT, but that was no reason to quit dreaming. And TiVo found it on VH1 and just knew that I would love it. So it just goes to show that you should keep pursuing your dream, and never get discouraged just because you heard the word "no" the first time.

she was not the sharpest tool in the shed?

Bless her heart, that's a kind way to put it. Was she not aware that there was a WAR going on at the time the episode was filmed? You'd think it would be hard to miss all the yellow ribbons and so forth in TEXAS. Maybe she thought there were a lot of Michigan fans in her neighborhood.

I find it incredible that they don't pay the women good salaries for all this. I guess if you can put together a good squad cheaply, why bother paying them? But I wonder how many football players they'd recruit if they were just expected to play for the privilege of wearing the uniform.

It appears to me that producers and directors are calling for FEWER shots of cheerleaders at pro games than they used to.

I agree, and it's surprising. Maybe they think showing the cheerleaders discourages female viewers? If I'm watching a game on TV, I like to see lots of the stadium experience so I can imagine I'm there -- show me the National Anthem, fans, beer vendors, the halftime show. But maybe I'm not a typical female fan.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2006 @ 12:52 PM

I've seen this special one too many times and it kills me every time when I hear Whitney talk about how hard it will be to cheer and be a single mom. Sorry honey, how hard can it be to live with mom and dad in a nice house in the Dallas suburbs and have them help you raise your kid?

I got the impression that's she's a stay-at-home mom, not a single mom. I thought we just never saw her husband, only her parents because they're watching her kid.

IvySpice, cheerleaders don't get paid much to perform at games, but some of them can make a living with personal appearances and calendars and such. It also seems like a lot of the cheerleaders here in Cleveland end up marrying rich men/athletes from other sports, etc.

Edited by MaryWebGirl, Feb 8, 2006 @ 12:46 PM.

luckyroll3

luckyroll3

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 8, 2006 @ 11:17 AM

You know the girl who begged not be cut? Anyone else think it had more to do with the fact that she was not the sharpest tool in the shed?

She was definitely cut because she was dumb. And the enitre time they were telling her she was cut, they kept saying things like, "You did eveything right. It's just that, uh, you don't have as much training, uh, dance training, as the other girls. Why don't you work on it and try out again in 8 months, uhmmkay?"

Like MaryWebGirl said, pro-sport cheerleaders make very little money from games. But they can make a ton from appearances at boat/car shows and other events. My roommate, who used to be Heat Dancer, made about $350 for showing up for 1-2 hours at events in her skany Heat outfits.

wewashka

wewashka

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 14, 2006 @ 11:42 AM

Hey ..it's time for the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader tryouts again and according to the local news channel here in Dallas the CMT folks will be filming again for our viewing enjoyment.
Yay!!

PhD Student

PhD Student

Posted Aug 5, 2006 @ 12:54 AM

I got the impression that's she's a stay-at-home mom, not a single mom. I thought we just never saw her husband, only her parents because they're watching her kid.

Yeah, I thought she was a stay at home mom as well. I can't believe I'm asking, but has anyone seen the sequel?

cheery

cheery

Just Tuned In

Posted Sep 24, 2006 @ 7:09 AM

The new show for tryouts 2006 should start to air this week. 8 episodes on CMT, Country Music Television. Whitney is a single mom, the boots are real cowboy boots, custom made, and Starr Spangler is a real name given at birth. The name Scout may refer to the girl in the book, "To Kill a Mocking Bird." The movie version starred Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch. The uniform does a great job of body enhancement. If you look at the swimsuit calendar, noone is out of proportion or oversized in a bikini.

PhD Student

PhD Student

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 12:26 PM

Do you know them? How does Whitney afford that house on a cheerleader salary if she's a single mom? Or does she live with her parents?

I don't disagree that the uniform is good for body enhancement, but I'm sure they all have good bodies too!

itsonlyatvshow

itsonlyatvshow

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 1:11 PM

I don't disagree that the uniform is good for body enhancement,

Last year, there was a conversation here about whether the shorts made some well-proportioned girls' rear ends look big. There were some try-outs who looked fine, who were told to lose weight.

njbarmaid

njbarmaid

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 25, 2006 @ 1:35 PM

I can't wait to see the new season. I have looked on their official website for the new squad info and didn't see some faces of girls shown last year. Wondering what happened for them not to make it back.

itsonlyatvshow

itsonlyatvshow

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 2:02 PM

I have looked on their official website for the new squad info and didn't see some faces of girls shown last year.

Misty

CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 2:16 PM

I remember a couple years back I wanted to try out for the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, and was pretty close to doing it. Now that I saw the show (I actually have only seen like one and not a complete show). I am glad I never did try out, it's nothing like what I expected. I probably would have been humiliated and cut right away, lol.

PhD Student

PhD Student

Posted Sep 26, 2006 @ 3:23 PM

There were some try-outs who looked fine, who were told to lose weight

Oh yeah, I remember that. I figured it was because they held the girls to some sort of ridiculous standard. Collegegirl, I'm glad you didn't try out too - it looks very stressful!

tanyak

tanyak

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2006 @ 2:21 PM

I can't wait to see the new season. I have looked on their official website for the new squad info and didn't see some faces of girls shown last year. Wondering what happened for them not to make it back.

That cute little girl, Deanna, also isn't on the squad. They were so rough on her about her "chunky" legs, I was surprised she made it last year. I googled her, and apparently she was shot back in the spring. According to the news report, she recovered, but she said she wasn't cheering anymore because of her weight and figure. She seemed fine with her body, but I guess TPTB (Kelli) kept on her about it. This story was written back in May, I think. She said she hoped to be healed enough to try out for the Spurs dance team in the summer. I don't know if she made it.

And Melissa from New Jersey isn't on there either.

Edited by tanyak, Sep 28, 2006 @ 1:11 PM.

MaryWebGirl

MaryWebGirl

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 9:04 AM

Wow. Poor Deanna.. This is kind of a cute quote though:

The reason she's not cheerleading?
She says it was an issue with her weight and shape.
"It was a lot of my bottom area, but like I was telling my mother. 'My bottom half of me is what kind of saved my life,'" she says.

Take that bitchy Kelly.

itsonlyatvshow

itsonlyatvshow

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 10:19 AM

She says it was an issue with her weight and shape.
"It was a lot of my bottom area,

That's my point; they want them to lose a lot of weight to have little-boy rear ends, then wear padded push-ups for cleavage. Totally unrealistic! and unhealthy.

queenbee9b

queenbee9b

Video Archivist

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 1:01 PM

Do you guys know if the one that is on VH1 this weekend is the 2006 episode? I'v seen the 2005 too many times, I can't wait to see a new one!

slackerchick

slackerchick

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2006 @ 7:59 PM

The new episodes start tomorrow night (Friday) on CMT